Photo
- - - - -

Best Gaslight Scenarios? (For Re-publishing)

Gaslight

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,414 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:44 PM

MikeM is looking for which Gaslight scenarios people might be interested in seeing re-published in a "Best Of Gaslight" scenario compilation.

Do you have a favourite?

#2 DAR

DAR

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:15 PM

I'll have to look through my books when I get home for exact titles of specific scenarios, but Return of the Ripper is excellent and probably deserves a new/better treatment.

D.

#3 ColdSteel

ColdSteel

Master

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAlone in the Dark.

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:19 PM

The Eyes of a Stranger from the Sacraments of Evil book.

#4 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:29 AM

Anything from Sacraments of Evil; I preferred those to Dark Designs' scenarios greatly. Is there any chance some or all the Golden Dawn material or scenarios might be included?
My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#5 DAR

DAR

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:29 AM

Anything from Sacraments of Evil; I preferred those to Dark Designs' scenarios greatly. Is there any chance some or all the Golden Dawn material or scenarios might be included?

Managing to get Pagan to republish ​Golden Dawn would amazing. I have my copy, but it gets old suggesting it to people and not having it available...

D.

#6 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:33 AM

My first vote would go for "The Masterwork of Nicholas Forby" ... but anything by Kevin Ross from any Gaslight book would also be a must.

Although I personally would love to see material from the Pagan "Golden Dawn" book re-published -- it's one of my favourite setting-books ever, and seriously far more obscure than it deserves -- I can't imagine that happening any time soon.

Dean (from Adelaide)

FREE high-quality Call of Cthulhu scenarios in PDF: cthulhureborn.wordpress.com

#7 Judgetrev

Judgetrev

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:44 AM

My first vote would go for "The Masterwork of Nicholas Forby" ... but anything by Kevin Ross from any Gaslight book would also be a must.

Although I personally would love to see material from the Pagan "Golden Dawn" book re-published -- it's one of my favourite setting-books ever, and seriously far more obscure than it deserves -- I can't imagine that happening any time soon.

Dean (from Adelaide)

I would love to have the Golden Dawn.  I would also like to know what is inside the unspeakable oath magazines that go for way to much money on Ebay.

If this stuff is so awesome and in demand, why not have it scanned and put up on drivethrurpg?  Or is it just collectable, and not really all that good for gaming?

I see all the weird judges guild stuff that showed up on drivethru.  I got a copy of ready ref sheets.  the scan isn't perfect by any means, but I love those ready ref sheets! 

I am sure I would be happy with a scan of the unspeakable oath, or the golden dawn source book.  If for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity.

#8 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:59 AM

Managing to get Pagan to republish ​Golden Dawn would amazing. I have my copy, but it gets old suggesting it to people and not having it available...

I've got what I would consider to be a very expansive CoC collection and I've only been able to borrow a copy of Golden Dawn so I could read it.

My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#9 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:13 AM

Because I rarely get to say things that cause envy, I will say this: I got a copy of Golden Dawn for free.

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#10 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:26 AM

I'd like the opportunity to get Sacraments of Evil, and of course an updated version would be preferable to an eBay copy.

Because I rarely get to say things that cause envy, I will say this: I got a copy of Golden Dawn for free.

*shakes fist, mutters*

I would honestly say not Dark Designs unless they want to commit to a reasonably thorough overhaul.  So it depends how much of a republish versus new edition they want to make this.

Similarly I'd be quite interested in some of the monographs in terms of topic, like Sudan and Raj, but as I've heard the execution leaves something to be desired I haven't bought them.  Raj in particular seems promising because it's quite a likely place for both NPCs and Investigators to have travelled or even lived, so it'd be for character background and it should be relatively easy to introduce links (or skeletons in the closet) from the past.  A revamped version I might buy.

#11 hamster

hamster

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:46 AM

Both Sacraments of Evil and Dark Designs were actually quite good, although Sacrements would be the book I'd prefer to see republished.

Although my favourite scenario (and I cannot remember which book it was in) would be;

Spoiler

the details escape me and I'm not sure I've still got the book.....

#12 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:05 AM

Can someone explain why getting Pagan stuff reprinted is such a difficult issue - is it a rights thing ?

This is occasionally mentioned on the forums and I never really really understand why ( especially in these times of scanned PDFs of old products on DriveThru )

Do you play Trail of Cthulhu ? You may find these downloads useful...

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu PDF - the rulebook as slim as it can go.

The Enchiridion of Elucidation PDF - a guidebook for both players and Keepers, with advice on playing the game.

#13 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:43 AM

Can someone explain why getting Pagan stuff reprinted is such a difficult issue - is it a rights thing ?

This is occasionally mentioned on the forums and I never really really understand why ( especially in these times of scanned PDFs of old products on DriveThru )

For a lot of old Pagan stuff the major hurdle in the past to getting it into PDF form  has been the rather extreme position that John Crowe has taken about having his material released in any kind of electronic form. I have assumed that the non-existence of many Pagan books in PDF has been largely due to the "power of veto" of Crowe as one of its contributors.

However, that factor doesn't apply to The Golden Dawn ... although I would suggest that some of the behind-the-scenes angst associated with its production might mean that some of its contributors are not exactly rushing to revisit it.

All-in-all I suspect that the real reason that most of these old books are not in PDF form comes down to two factors: (1) at the time they were printed there was no concept of electronic publication of CoC material, so nobody's contract includes clauses covering it; and (2) one or more contributors has a personal reason to object to having new contracts written up to cover PDF publication -- perhaps because they are still waiting to be paid for their work first time around (:-)).

Disclaimer: this is all pure speculation -- I have no inside scoop on what any of the Pagan folks think. I am just going by public statements that have been made in the past.

Dean (from Adelaide)

#14 hamster

hamster

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:16 AM

I believe that rights is one of the issues, as Dean mentioned John Crowe 'could' be the other....

I believe that some of the problems could be to do with the way that the writers for Pagan retained ownership of their work, whereas (if I understand it correctly) companies like Chaosium own the rights for work they have essentially commissioned from authors.

That makes re-printing Pagan materials (even in PDF format) potentially problematic, as agreement would need to be reached about payment for the authors above and beyond what was originally agreed for the publication of the original books.

I'm not sure how that was resolved for the Delta Green reprints though.......

#15 ColdSteel

ColdSteel

Master

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAlone in the Dark.

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:13 PM

Both Sacraments of Evil and Dark Designs were actually quite good, although Sacrements would be the book I'd prefer to see republished.

Although my favourite scenario (and I cannot remember which book it was in) would be;

Spoiler

the details escape me and I'm not sure I've still got the book.....

The adventure I think you're talking about was Sacraments of Evil from the book you guess it, Sacraments of Evil. Go figure.

#16 golfsale

golfsale

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:22 PM

Return of the Ripper is the best Gaslight supplement that I have read. I'd also like to see the Gaslight scenario(s) from The Whisperer magazine. I understand that one of them is a sequel to one of the Golden Dawn scenarios.

#17 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationPalm Bay, Florida

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:57 PM

Since I brought up the issue of Gaslight lack of support in another thread, I'll echo much of what was said already:

Sacraments of Evil over Dark Designs any day. There are some decent scenario ideas in the latter, but the former is all around a better set of scenarios.

The Return of the Ripper, with some minor changes and edits (and better artwork and support) is a good option.

A pdf with print on demand option for Gaslight Equipment Catalogue (a very helpful source of stuff).

As others have said, while the odds are quite small, a reprint of Golden Dawn would be helpful, I doubt it is going to happen for a variety of reasons.

And to confirm some of what was said earlier, I heard directly from Scott Glancy at GenCon last year that a lot of the issues with reprinting old Pagan Publishing stuff (and even some of the delays with his WW1 Kickstarter (of which I am a patient backer)) is due to the anti-electronic format stance of John Crowe III.

#18 Judgetrev

Judgetrev

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:07 PM

If John Crowe is anti-electronic I totally respect that. Those old pagan publishing things are what they are. If you have one, consider yourself fortunate. If you don't, then be pleased that there is still treasure left to hunt for.

#19 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

If John Crowe is anti-electronic I totally respect that. Those old pagan publishing things are what they are. If you have one, consider yourself fortunate. If you don't, then be pleased that there is still treasure left to hunt for.

I do sort of respect John's staunch hold-out stance against PDFs (even if it has largely been for naught; if I'm to believe accounts by colleagues of mine who haunt more nefarious corners of the web, while no *official* PDF versions exist of any John Crowe Pagan Pub book, every single one has been scanned by someone over the years and shared illegally with zero proceeds going back to either John or Pagan). There is some suggestion that this position might also have changed a little in recent times -- when Pagan ran their Kickstarter in 2014 for "Horrors of War" (which still hasn't delivered BTW), there was a lot of fuss initially over the fact that there was no PDF option for the book. Scott Glancy was very open about the fact that this was due to his co-writer John Crowe's strong opinions about electronic publishing -- after some potential backers threatening to otherwise boycott the campaign, Crowe eventually recanted and agreed to a PDF option being added (cf Project Update #2, 21 Sep 2014). Of course it's all academic until something finally gets released ...

Dean (from Adelaide)

#20 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:07 PM

Scott Glancy was very open about the fact that this was due to his co-writer John Crowe's strong opinions about electronic publishing -- after some potential backers threatening to otherwise boycott the campaign, Crowe eventually recanted and agreed to a PDF option being added (cf Project Update #2, 21 Sep 2014). Of course it's all academic until something finally gets released ...

Frankly, what puzzled me there was that Glancy agreed to work with Crowe on a project knowing that he was so strongly anti-PDF.  Given how much of the gaming market is electronic these days, it just seems like arbitrarily hurting yourself to agree to do all that work under those terms.  Of course he did eventually get Crowe to back down, but what if he hadn't?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gaslight