50 replies to this topic

#41 Judgetrev

Judgetrev

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:56 PM

I have had some good times playing Yahtzee. Now that I like playing these "complicated" games it is handy to have a game like Elder Sign to introduce people to this co-operative style of game. It is like a gateway drug. I have seen some pretty amazing improbable rolls at the table... Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat! High fives and hell yeahs!

#42 tammywilding

tammywilding

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Britain.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:30 PM

Oh I see now...you are talking about the Online game? Yes ?

The online game is...well, different. I can see issues and likes and dislikes therein. I am talking about the Physical hardcopy board game.

The Physical game to be played on a 'gathering' table with 1 or 2 friends rolling REAL dice....now THAT can't be beat! Good ole' fashioned ditch the cell phone and start gaming and drinking face to face with people and forming relationships and good times for realz like they did in the 'olden' days.

Yeah, I may have had a dumb moment, when I downloaded it. I thought it was some, more cthulhuesque sort of haunted house game, not a silly dice game. I used to quite like Crown and Anchor years ago.

Now written six horrible dark style fantasies! The World Unseeing, (now known as Dragon), A King In Graeffenland, Princess of Bones, Metacosmoclypse, Once A Knight, and Hand & Eye. Sixty pages in on Jaeson Smiths own novel, might be ready by Christmas. Maybe. 

#43 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA - In the cool, dark earthen floor. USA

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:40 PM

Youtubing it prior to purchase, yes, recommended.

I still think the actual hardcopy board game is just awesome. Very thematic. I rarely see posting where someone dislikes it.

I think if you had someone show you that actual game and play it a few times, you'd grow to appreciate it. I'm a little distanced at the moment or else I'd motor on over and break it out for you...

'Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911, But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shyte out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get' . 

#44 tammywilding

tammywilding

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Britain.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:45 PM

Youtubing it prior to purchase, yes, recommended.

I still think the actual hardcopy board game is just awesome. Very thematic. I rarely see posting where someone dislikes it.

I think if you had someone show you that actual game and play it a few times, you'd grow to appreciate it. I'm a little distanced at the moment or else I'd motor on over and break it out for you...

You might change my mind about dice games!

Now written six horrible dark style fantasies! The World Unseeing, (now known as Dragon), A King In Graeffenland, Princess of Bones, Metacosmoclypse, Once A Knight, and Hand & Eye. Sixty pages in on Jaeson Smiths own novel, might be ready by Christmas. Maybe. 

#45 Aklo

Aklo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:15 PM

I'd highly recommend Elder Sign and all four of its expansions. https://www.fantasyf...roducts-section

As already mentioned it plays  out a bit like Mythos Yahtzee and gets new players into the idea very quickly.

The simple pleasure and addictiveness of Cthulhu Wars can not be over stated. https://petersengame...m/cthulhu-wars/

Pricey though, Ebay and Amazon usually have it for less.

I'd also recommend Cthulhu Gloom, its lots of fun if people get into the story telling aspect. http://www.atlas-gam...bles/AG1330.php

The Optimist in me says we live in the best of all possible worlds...The Pessimist in me believes this is true.

#46 vincentVV

vincentVV

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:24 PM

Arkham Express with some corrections to mechanics can be a rather interesting choice.

#47 alter

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationBielsko-Biała, Poland

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:20 PM

Arkham Express? Something new? Didn't hear of it.
Pandemic Reign of Cthulhu is a very nice game, with easy to learn mechanic, cool minis and nice rate of replayability.

My new blog about gaming, books and Lovecraftiana: bigthingswithsmallwings.blogspot.com

#48 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:31 PM

Arkham Express? Something new? Didn't hear of it.

I believe it is a print and play version of Arkham Horror. See the BGG entry here: https://boardgamegee...arkham-express 

The Keepers of the Woods for Trail of Cthulhu is available now - download it here.

Those Within for Call of Cthulhu 7e - coming to a convention near you soon...

@freddiefoulds ; Visit my blog: Arcana Obscura

#49 alter

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationBielsko-Biała, Poland

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:52 AM

I've checked it and it looks interesting. Thank You xthawx.

Still recommending Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu.

For me the setup time and play time of Arkham Horror is so long, that it is easier for me to play a CoC session instead. 

My new blog about gaming, books and Lovecraftiana: bigthingswithsmallwings.blogspot.com

#50 vincentVV

vincentVV

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:45 AM

Yeah, Arkham Express is a compact and simple p'n'play version of Arkham. I tried it several times and liked its mechanics.

#51 Munchezuma

Munchezuma

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationLemont, Pennsylvania

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:26 PM

I have only played Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu once, but I loved it. I found it to be surprisingly different from Pandemic, which I also enjoy. In many ways, it actually gave me the play experience I always wanted from Arkham Horror, but was actually fun.  :-D