#21 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:58 PM

yep, I can't wait to see how the integration of the game and phone app works.

I'm probably being a bit of a dinosaur, but I'm a bit reluctant to buy a game relying on an app that may stop being supported in 5 years or so. In other words I'd really like to be able to play the game properly in many years to come. It's not an insignificant cost ...

Maybe it's the computer scientist in me (my first degree) - too much experience from seeing software become obsolete.

But I'd be very interested to hear how people get on with playing it. I was looking at the game's BoardGameGeek page just the other night.

#22 finarvyn

finarvyn

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationArkham (okay... near Chicago)

Posted 06 August 2016 - 02:31 PM

I'm probably being a bit of a dinosaur, but I'm a bit reluctant to buy a game relying on an app that may stop being supported in 5 years or so.

I'm probably being a bit of a dinosaur, but I still use an old flip phone and couldn't use an AP if I wanted to... :-)

Marv / Finarvyn -- Investigator of the Unknown

#23 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 02:49 PM

I'm probably being a bit of a dinosaur, but I still use an old flip phone and couldn't use an AP if I wanted to... :-)

Haha! My mobile phone isn't even as new as a flip phone ;) Mine is about 15 years old. I do have an iPad and iPod touch though.

#24 ContentsMayVary

ContentsMayVary

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:50 PM

I'm probably being a bit of a dinosaur, but I'm a bit reluctant to buy a game relying on an app that may stop being supported in 5 years or so. In other words I'd really like to be able to play the game properly in many years to come. It's not an insignificant cost ...

Maybe it's the computer scientist in me (my first degree) - too much experience from seeing software become obsolete.

But I'd be very interested to hear how people get on with playing it. I was looking at the game's BoardGameGeek page just the other night.

I guess the app doesn't need to be continued to be supported - it just need to continue to run. Since old PC games from 1995 still run fine 20+ years later (even if some need an emulator), I think it'll be fine. :)

You couldn't possibly use a phone for the app anyway - the screen would be far too small. I'm using a tablet, but it also runs on PC or Mac.

Edited by ContentsMayVary, 06 August 2016 - 08:49 PM.

#25 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:02 PM

I guess the app doesn't need to be continued to be supported - it just need to continue to run. Since old PC games from 1995 still run fine 20+ years later (even if some need an emulator), I think it'll be fine. :)

Hopefully it will be ok, yes. But I'm afraid I've known quite a lot of apps that stop being supported and no longer work on recent or current iOS versions, including apps I have bought myself. Changes in the iOS infrastructure can easily break old apps. So, no, I'm not confident unsupported apps will continue to work as well long-term as old PC games do, albeit with some effort.

Again I wouldn't be so concerned if this was just a £30 or similar game I was buying. But I don't want to spend nearly £100 and possibly be unable to play it in 5 years.

Of course this is me not knowing quite how integral the app is to the 2nd edition gameplay. Would it be playable without the app, if the worst happened?

Also I'm not wanting to decry the potential of an app to improve the gameplay. But I do have concerns about its implications for the game's longevity.

#26 ContentsMayVary

ContentsMayVary

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 07 August 2016 - 03:30 PM

There's no way you could play it without the app (but note that there's a PC and a Mac version as well as the Android and IOS apps).

#27 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA - In the cool, dark earthen floor. USA

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:24 PM

I thought the 2.0 version that uses the app, makes use of the original MoM...led me to believe you could 'go back and forth' with using the new version and the phone app or the old one. That would be the best marketing ploy - playability, otherwise they would be cutting their own throat and losing sales from a game that basically kills the previous version.

'Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911, But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shyte out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get' . 

#28 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:26 PM

I thought the 2.0 version that uses the app, makes use of the original MoM...led me to believe you could 'go back and forth' with using the new version and the phone app or the old one. That would be the best marketing ploy - playability, otherwise they would be cutting their own throat and losing sales from a game that basically kills the previous version.

I've read that the new version has different characters at least, and possibly scenarios too. So it isn't backward compatible.

#29 alter

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationBielsko-Biała, Poland

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:00 PM

From one of unboxing video on Yt I saw that there are some conversion tokens for first edition to the second. What about rooms? I do not know. The monster after replacing tokens can be use in 2 ed. game. And conversion for big box expenasions are there to I think...

Edited by alter, 07 August 2016 - 07:01 PM.

My new blog about gaming, books and Lovecraftiana: bigthingswithsmallwings.blogspot.com

#30 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:03 PM

Browsing BoardGameGeek some more I found that a lot of games detailed there are tagged as Cthulhu Mythos games. You can see a list of them here. By default it's sorted by alphabetical order, but you can re-sort it by highest rated game etc. May be worth a look, possibly for some new (or old) games people haven't heard of.

#31 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:03 PM

I don't even own a mobile phone. :-D

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#32 Innsbruck

Innsbruck

Master

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:04 PM

Browsing BoardGameGeek some more I found that a lot of games detailed there are tagged as Cthulhu Mythos games. You can see a list of them here. By default it's sorted by alphabetical order, but you can re-sort it by highest rated game etc. May be worth a look, possibly for some new (or old) games people haven't heard of.

You could also look at Yog-Sothoth.com's very own wiki. Some poor editor has been slavishly entering a list of Cthulhu Mythos-themed boardgames http://www.yog-sotho...php/Board_Games. I don't think it's done yet ... in fact, I don't think it will ever be done as long as time keeps on doing its' thing.

#33 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:35 PM

You could also look at Yog-Sothoth.com's very own wiki. Some poor editor has been slavishly entering a list of Cthulhu Mythos-themed boardgames http://www.yog-sotho...php/Board_Games. I don't think it's done yet ... in fact, I don't think it will ever be done as long as time keeps on doing its' thing.

Excellent. Thank you :)

#34 tammywilding

tammywilding

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Britain.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:27 AM

Why do people like Elder Sign? It's terrible!

Edited by tammywilding, 07 September 2016 - 11:28 AM.

Now written six horrible dark style fantasies! The World Unseeing, (now known as Dragon), A King In Graeffenland, Princess of Bones, Metacosmoclypse, Once A Knight, and Hand & Eye. Sixty pages in on Jaeson Smiths own novel, might be ready by Christmas. Maybe. 

#35 Judgetrev

Judgetrev

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:01 PM

Why do people like Elder Sign? It's terrible!

It is like Yahtzee!

#36 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:58 PM

Elder Sign:

Mythos theme - 9/10

Solo play - 9/10

Ease of play, small size, quick set up - 8/10

Intro for new players - 8/10

Artwork and visual - 8/10

actually, those categories could all be 9's.

Is the end-all-be-all of Mythos games? No. Is Eldritch horror 'better' ? Perhaps.

Elder sign is a must have in my opinion, as it's just way to useful for new people and to break out in a pinch, quick notice.

'Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911, But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shyte out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get' . 

#37 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:19 PM

I'm a big fan of Elder Sign. That said, the base game is not great - too easily beaten for me. Once they released Gates of Arkham, I found it much better. Omens of Ice is also a fantastic expansion (and one I have yet to beat!). 

The Keepers of the Woods for Trail of Cthulhu is available now - download it here.

Those Within for Call of Cthulhu 7e - coming to a convention near you soon...

@freddiefoulds ; Visit my blog: Arcana Obscura

#38 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:57 PM

It is like Yahtzee!

I don't know anything about Elder Sign, but I have fond memories of playing Yahtzee with my family....

I haven't played too many Cthulhu board games.  I had a lot of fun playing the D&D "Ravenloft" board game several years ago, and the "Mythos" collectible card game had some extremely fun and surprisingly creepy randomized results (we'd use it to tell little horror stories with; for example, there was one where a little old lady went mad after finding a creepy mirror and tried to kill herself or her reflection with a frying pan; our group found it funny at first, until we started thinking about it too long, and then the story got creepier and creepier....)

Edited by yronimoswhateley, 07 September 2016 - 02:59 PM.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#39 tammywilding

tammywilding

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Britain.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:01 PM

Yeah, I hope they updated it's description on Steam, because I bought it not realising it was 'Yahtzee'.

Now written six horrible dark style fantasies! The World Unseeing, (now known as Dragon), A King In Graeffenland, Princess of Bones, Metacosmoclypse, Once A Knight, and Hand & Eye. Sixty pages in on Jaeson Smiths own novel, might be ready by Christmas. Maybe. 

#40 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:50 PM

Yeah, I hope they updated it's description on Steam, because I bought it not realising it was 'Yahtzee'.

Oh I see now...you are talking about the Online game? Yes ?

The online game is...well, different. I can see issues and likes and dislikes therein. I am talking about the Physical hardcopy board game.

The Physical game to be played on a 'gathering' table with 1 or 2 friends rolling REAL dice....now THAT can't be beat! Good ole' fashioned ditch the cell phone and start gaming and drinking face to face with people and forming relationships and good times for realz like they did in the 'olden' days.