#1 K_Peterson

K_Peterson

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:25 PM

I'm looking to track down a spare copy of the CoC 5th limited edition hardcover that Chaosium released in 1993. It's pretty much my favorite edition. I've owned my current copy for the past 23 years and, greedily, want another copy for the bookshelf.

Noble Knight Games has a product listing, for reference sake.

I'd like to purchase or trade for a copy in pretty good condition. Nothing hammered on, or with marking or highlighting on the interior. I'd trade away my 20th Anniversary Edition for one. Hell, I might even be tempted to part with my 7th edition Kickstarter awards.

Please PM me if you've got a copy. Thanks!

#2 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:17 PM

I remember seeing this advertised back in the early '90s in one of Chaosium's mail shots.

Yes, you definitely know it's a limited edition :-) - and a nice book to boot. According to my notes 1,000 copies were issued through Wizard's Attic.

Publication date: September 1993, v. 5.1.1. of the rules.

coc-5e-limited-front-cover.jpg  coc-5e-limited-inside-cover.jpg

I hope you manage to find a suitable copy!

#3 finarvyn

finarvyn

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationArkham (okay... near Chicago)

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:00 AM

Huh. I've owned a paperback copy of 5E CoC for years (it's my go-to version of the rules) but had no idea that there was a hardback. Now I want one, too.

Edited by finarvyn, 09 July 2016 - 02:00 AM.

Marv / Finarvyn -- Investigator of the Unknown

#4 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:20 PM

Huh. I've owned a paperback copy of 5E CoC for years (it's my go-to version of the rules) but had no idea that there was a hardback. Now I want one, too.

There was a standard version of the 5th edition hardback too. I owned that. Edition 5.6, ISBN 9781568821481, published 1999. Very nice. I sold mine recently to another Yoggie forum member to use as reference.

So you may be able to pick up a relatively low cost hardback 5th edition, not just the rarer more costly limited edition.

#5 K_Peterson

K_Peterson

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:50 PM

I bit the bullet and spent a little too much on another copy of 5.1.1.

There was a standard version of the 5th edition hardback too. I owned that. Edition 5.6, ISBN 9781568821481, published 1999. 

Did 5.6 use the interior layout/design of 5.1/5.2? Or was it closer to 6th edition, with its 'burnt' page edges and insects everywhere?

#6 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:56 PM

Did 5.6 use the interior layout/design of 5.1/5.2? Or was it closer to 6th edition, with its 'burnt' page edges and insects everywhere?

Perhaps someone else could answer this. I don't have my copy any more :)

#7 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:21 PM

I might have the standard version of Edition 5.6 at home, I'll check it out after work to see if I'm remember the edition number right, and, if so, get a photo of what it looks like inside.  I don't remember any "burnt" page edges or anything special like that in the 5th Edition I own, in any event:  I'm pretty sure it was all undecorated black-and-white pages, very business-like and to-the-point, and looked somewhat dated (I've not seen much from earlier editions, but I'd have been willing to bet that the basic aesthetics of the book hadn't changed much from edition to edition, and I had a vague feeling that by the 5th edition, the game had been pretty thoroughly lived-in and added-to, and was in need of some house-cleaning and re-organization....)

The D20 edition, in contrast, looked VERY nice and modern - full-colour illustrations and decorations on pretty much every page, a nice sturdy cover, quite nice writing (everything seemed to have been re-written special for this edition, with nothing being copied, as near as I could tell, from any of the BRP editions), the works - whether you love or hate the D20 rules system, the folks who worked on the D20 version of CoC really gave it their best shot and put a lot of work and care into the project.  The D20 edition was the one that had me feeling quite excited about the prospect of a polished, modernized 7th Edition.

All that said, I've never seen the Limited 5th Edition - from those photos, it really looks nice, I kind of wish I'd picked up a copy back when I had a chance.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#8 paladin2769

paladin2769

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSI, NY

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:14 PM

I have this edition (two actually) but not in front of me at the moment.  I don't believe it had the insects (damn I hated them).  I can check and post this weekend.

#9 red_bus

red_bus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:05 PM

I have a copy and can confirm that it has a nice standard and clean layout. I agree with the original poster, this edition is very nice, quite possibly my fave :)

#10 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

Noble Knight have a copy in stock, as of writing, priced at $125 (US).

Noble Knight is offering the 20th Anniversary edition for $70 more ($195 [US]), so trading copies might not be too difficult.

#11 TheHistorian

TheHistorian

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:10 AM

Just noticed this thread. My copy doesn't have the inside front cover bookplates. Hmm...

#12 ragngand

ragngand

Master

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:29 AM

I don't think the bookplate is original, I bought this book new from Wizard's Attic and it came without any bookplate, also I've seen other copies and none of them had the bookplate pictured.

#13 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:24 AM

The bookplates feature the signatures of Sandy Petersen and Lynn Willis and are personal to my copy.

#14 TheHistorian

TheHistorian

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:29 AM

The bookplates feature the signatures of Sandy Petersen and Lynn Willis and are personal to my copy.

That's great!

Both for you because you have a nice book... and for me because I don't have to add something to my want list.   :-D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoC 1-6e, Buy, Collector