Photo
- - - - -

Running "The Space Between" this weekend - advice appreciated!

Modern

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cthulhus_voicemail

Cthulhus_voicemail

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:47 PM

I'm running the adventure "The Space Between" out of the book Nameless Horrors this Saturday at my FLGS to celebrate Free RPG Day. I've read and re-read this adventure probably ten times now, and overall feel mostly confident - but at the same time, for whatever reason, I'm getting a serious case of pre-run butterflies.

Anyone else run this scenario and can comment on their experience or can offer advice on this scenario?

Curiosity killed the cat, Herbert West brought it back.

#2 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:50 PM

The main bit of advice I'd offer is to keep the investigators on their toes. They start off faced with a pretty major problem, so give them some space to deal with that. As soon as any of them start getting too comfortable, hit them with more problems. Use the police and higher-ups at the church to keep the pressure. Craig Steele and Brian Musgrove should call for regular updates. Steele in particular may offer a personal Emptying session to anyone who is not meeting his expectations, growing steadily more insistent. Jared Woodward may be flighty and unpredictable, making unreasonable demands (especially for cocaine). Detective Neumeier or other police officers can crop up at awkward moments as they conduct their own investigations. The investigators should always have time to dig around and get themselves in more trouble, but they should never be at a loss for what to do next. Their general feeling should be that things are spiralling out of control.

Don't be afraid to split the party if the investigators want to run off in a number of different directions. They all have mobile phones, so it is easy enough for them to confer when they need to. This also makes things more tense if one or two investigators end up in a dangerous situation with no immediate back-up available.

If an investigator dies in the course of the session, Tekroop Singh, Jared Woodward or Detective Neumeier could make a good replacement character for that player.

Let the players' actions dictate where things end up. While there is a possible final scene in the scenario, events often lead somewhere completely different. Don't be afraid to wrap things up at what seems like a climactic point rather than play on into anticlimax. I always like to have the players of any surviving investigators narrate a coda, describing what happens to their investigators in the aftermath. Throw in nasty details and hints about the world around them as they do so.

Oh, and if you haven't already done so, I highly recommend listening to the Skype of Cthulhu AP recordings of the scenario.

#3 Cthulhus_voicemail

Cthulhus_voicemail

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:35 PM

Thank you for taking the time for such a detailed reply, Scott! I really appreciate it.

I think this session will go very well - and I think today's prep goal will be studying the character sheets and putting together a "cheat sheet" to keep track of who can be most easily influenced by Steele or Musgrave's phone calls.

#4 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

Happy to help, and I hope it goes well! If you fancy posting about the game afterwards, I'd love to hear all about it.

#5 Cthulhus_voicemail

Cthulhus_voicemail

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:09 PM

I certainly will be posting a recap Scott!

#6 Cthulhus_voicemail

Cthulhus_voicemail

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:19 AM

Happy to help, and I hope it goes well! If you fancy posting about the game afterwards, I'd love to hear all about it.

Scott, you won't believe how this session went.  I think I closed the book 10 minutes in and improvised for the next two hours thirty-five minutes.  Here's the full account: http://dice-and-doub...ee-rpg-day.html

#7 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:12 PM

Oh gosh. It's not really a tommy guns and dynamite type of scenario, and I can see why a group expecting that might have been frustrated. I've certainly had groups who have taken a much more pulpy approach, turning the scenario into black comedy, and that's worked fine. It still involves buying into the premise, though.

You say they had fun anyway, and that's the important thing!

#8 Cthulhus_voicemail

Cthulhus_voicemail

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:44 AM

I've never had an entire group just not connect to the premise like this - if it weren't for their pre- and post-game chatter about calling the King in Yellow fat and how the one player was looking forward to his new character in his home campaign (an asylum physician going out looking for new test subjects to abduct), I'd be parked in front of the mirror asking myself where I went wrong.  

Oh well.  A lesson is learned, and I'll focus on tommy gun and dynamite scenarios for this sort of "I have no idea who I'm running for" event.  

#9 Onemeantoaster

Onemeantoaster

Neophyte

• 4 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:02 AM

Almost a year to the day and i soon will be running my first game of anything, 'The Space Between'. I have a feeling ill have similar problems as my group has a few members that like to drag the game in silly directions but i'm still excited and nervous to run it.

#10 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:42 AM

I hope it goes well for you and your group!

Don't worry about keeping the tone serious. I've had the scenario turn to black comedy more than once and those are sometimes the best sessions.

#11 Onemeantoaster

Onemeantoaster

Neophyte

• 4 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:11 PM

Ah, it's nice to hear from the man himself!

I'm not especially worried what direction it goes in as long as we have fun.  As i've told the group, I expect it to remain serious up to the point that it isn't.

It's a fine scenario Mr. Dorward.  

#12 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:21 PM

It's a fine scenario Mr. Dorward.  

Thank you!

#13 Onemeantoaster

Onemeantoaster

Neophyte

• 4 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:47 AM

Ok, session one of The Space Between was run by me the other night.  As it was my first time running anything i was pretty skittish but i think it went beautifully.  The players certainly seemed to have a good time. 

My write up -

http://www.yog-sotho...-space-between/

Edited by Onemeantoaster, 30 June 2017 - 09:33 AM.

#14 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:55 AM

Just a gentle reminder that game write up are best suited to your Yog Blog. ;-)

#15 Onemeantoaster

Onemeantoaster

Neophyte

• 4 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:33 AM

What the devil is a Yog blog?  Oh ok, i see.  Cheers, fixed :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modern