#1 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:03 PM

The Keepers of the Woods, an expanded version of the one sheet scenario I wrote for the RPGGeek Gumshoe competition, is now available to download from the Trail of Cthulhu resources page:

http://site.pelgrane...t=10#adventures

It clocks in at 34 pages, including five pregens, two maps and four handouts.

If you have chance to run it at some point, I'd be interested to know how it goes!

The Keepers of the Woods for Trail of Cthulhu is available now - download it here.

Those Within for Call of Cthulhu 7e - coming to a convention near you soon...

@freddiefoulds ; Visit my blog: Arcana Obscura

#2 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:49 AM

I see you got the hang of the fonts etc. It looks splendid. From little acorns...

Tip of the hat.

Do you play Trail of Cthulhu ? You may find these downloads useful...

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu PDF - the rulebook as slim as it can go.

The Enchiridion of Elucidation PDF - a guidebook for both players and Keepers, with advice on playing the game.

#3 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:57 AM

Thanks Tony. Layout and positioning the art so the text maintained some kind of integrity was one of the biggest hurdles...

The Keepers of the Woods for Trail of Cthulhu is available now - download it here.

#4 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMonterey, California

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:35 PM

This may prove useful for my Elizabethan campaign...

#5 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:36 AM

Should be easy to tweak it for any time period or setting :)

#6 vincentVV

vincentVV

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:21 PM

A wonderful scenario... with some additions and working on it. I'm about to run it for a 2-person group and made a lot of work to make it logical at last.

It has a great atmosphere and potential (especially I liked a part about "how to roleplay npcs"), but in my mind some points are very weak:

(I don't know how to make spoilers yet - so PLAYERS DON'T READ FURTHER! =)

- it's very hard to get the Testamentum and reveal father Blakely's involvement;

- Hounds of Tindalos look strange here. Dark Young could be much better ))

- without Testamentum the "bad ending" is nearly unavoidable.

- the "hairy hands" legend looks strange and rather stupid.

Besides this the scenario is great. Highly recommend it.

#7 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:03 PM

Cool - hope you enjoy running the scenario! I've responded to comments in the spoiler below, which I hope explains some of the choices behind antagonists and helps with some of the issues.

Spoiler

I actually just ran this again the other night and gave one player nightmares. Whoops!

Edited by xthawx, 11 September 2016 - 11:20 PM.

#8 vincentVV

vincentVV

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:38 PM

I've learned the SPOILER magik! =)

Player - NO READING ANY FURTHER! =)

Spoiler

#9 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:11 PM

I think there will always be a problem with rping investigators in Cthulhu games - although they are supposed to be everyday people, the horror theme asks the players to throw their characters in to the mystery. The point is taken though!

In response to the choking points:

Spoiler

That said, thanks for the comments, they help me picture everything from another GMs perspective. Your modifications sounds great - hope the game plays out well!

#10 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:14 PM

Well... I understand that Cthulhu players SHOULD be curious and SHOULD investigate wherever possible - but from the point of view of a common person... If I come to an old church why should I break in through the locked door and get to the area I am not meant to be at all? So roleplaying usual real-life people seem to prevent players from actions like it.

That's like saying "My D&D players aren't looking for treasure or monsters."
Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#11 Aklo

Aklo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:02 PM

Very interesting scenario, so many wonderful ideas, this is the kind of scenario I'd create a whole campaign to run off of. I especially like the portrayal of the Order of the Green. I also liked how there seems quite a couple of different ways to end or proceed through the scenario. Well thought out and detailed without being railroady. I will try to run it soon.

The Optimist in me says we live in the best of all possible worlds...The Pessimist in me believes this is true.

#12 vincentVV

vincentVV

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:25 PM

In response to the choking points:

That's exactly what I thought about. Main clues have to be available anyway - as well as flexible. ;)

And yes, the scenario is really great with alternative endings and interpretations. After this discussion I'd easily give it 10 out of 10 and name it one of the best Cthulhu scenarios I've ever read.

By the way, this scenario itself can become a wonderfull starting scenario for any Cthulhu rulebook, and the way it is written is really a must-see for every DM who ever tried to run his/her own adventures. Great work!

That's like saying "My D&D players aren't looking for treasure or monsters."

That's stereotypes. )) It seems to me that's the way old players think. "If it's DnD I have to kill monsters and roll a D6, if it's Cthulhu - I have to make Library Search everywhere, if it's Star Wars I have to use the Force" =) And that's the advantage of new players who still don't know " how they MUST play Cthulhu/DnD'StarWars" ;)

#13 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:12 PM

That's stereotypes. )) It seems to me that's the way old players think. "If it's DnD I have to kill monsters and roll a D6, if it's Cthulhu - I have to make Library Search everywhere, if it's Star Wars I have to use the Force" =) And that's the advantage of new players who still don't know " how they MUST play Cthulhu/DnD'StarWars" ;)

But if you're players aren't curious about mysteries, why are they playing a mystery game?
Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#14 Aklo

Aklo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:54 PM

You will, in my experience sometimes find a gung-ho RP player who thinks almost exclusively in these terms and play up a certain style depending on what game he/she is, but by no means is this kind of player the norm.

I know several timid players, and players who just PLAY timid characters, bur even these are not above leaning on a suspect or breaking into a church. The point IS to solve the mystery, in general players aren't playing into stereotypes by interviewing people and wandering where they shouldn't. It just naturally happens.

The Optimist in me says we live in the best of all possible worlds...The Pessimist in me believes this is true.

#15 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

And yes, the scenario is really great with alternative endings and interpretations. After this discussion I'd easily give it 10 out of 10 and name it one of the best Cthulhu scenarios I've ever read.

By the way, this scenario itself can become a wonderfull starting scenario for any Cthulhu rulebook, and the way it is written is really a must-see for every DM who ever tried to run his/her own adventures. Great work!

Thank you, that is very high praise. I only hope it comes up to that standard when run!

Very interesting scenario, so many wonderful ideas, this is the kind of scenario I'd create a whole campaign to run off of. I especially like the portrayal of the Order of the Green. I also liked how there seems quite a couple of different ways to end or proceed through the scenario. Well thought out and detailed without being railroady. I will try to run it soon.

Thanks for the compliments and I hope it goes well if you get a chance to run it. Let me know how it goes.

When I was designing this scenario, I'd had the concept of it being something that could slot into a campaign - something along the lines of Bookhounds would work suitably well, although it can easily be modified for most settings. The Arkham Files would be another good ToC campaign that it might slot into with minimal work. That said, however, I would consider toning down the ending somewhat if the investigators are part of an ongoing campaign, as it can be slightly catastrophic for them if things go south. Though this is generally the way for investigators in Cthulhu themed games, so...

#16 vincentVV

vincentVV

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:30 PM

But if you're players aren't curious about mysteries, why are they playing a mystery game?

Oh, it's you again, my Mr. Suspicion and Grumpiness =)

These are NEW players. They are clean and virgin and still think by the real-world ways, that's why it' not obvious for them to break into a church. =)

Thank you, that is very high praise. I only hope it comes up to that standard when run!

I'm new to this forum, but this phrase seems to mean that you are an author, right?

If so - then thank you very much once again for your comments and for a wonderful scenario.

Don't think I try ti overpraise you, but if CoC scenarios look like a guidelines to play them - this ToC scenario can easily be played "as written". And that only adds to its value.

When I was designing this scenario, I'd had the concept of it being something that could slot into a campaign - something along the lines of Bookhounds would work suitably well, although it can easily be modified for most settings. The Arkham Files would be another good ToC campaign that it might slot into with minimal work. That said, however, I would consider toning down the ending somewhat if the investigators are part of an ongoing campaign, as it can be slightly catastrophic for them if things go south. Though this is generally the way for investigators in Cthulhu themed games, so...

Another thanks to you. I really appreciate when an author explains what HE intended to show through his work - be it a book, a RPG module or anything else. )

#17 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,403 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

Oh, it's you again, my Mr. Suspicion and Grumpiness =)

Please do keep it friendly folks. Thank you! :-)

#18 vincentVV

vincentVV

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:10 PM

Will there be any sequel to this adventure?

#19 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:16 AM

Will there be any sequel to this adventure?

No plans for one at the moment, though I have though about prequels -  something for Cthulhu Dark Ages regarding witch cults in the area, or Cthulhu Invictus and link it to how things originally got started...

I'm currently working on a Gaslight and Delta Green scenario at the moment which are taking up most of my time.

#20 rosie187

rosie187

Neophyte

• 2 posts
  • LocationWatford, UK

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:20 PM

I started running the one-sheet version as a fill in game when a scheduled GM couldn't make it on Thursday night at my local RPG club. We only got about 1/3 to 1/2 way through due to the roleplay/random side activities of my 6 players, so since they were enjoying it I agreed to flesh it out to finish off next time. I was delighted to see that a more fully featured version is available, so I have been busily crowbar-ing the changes that I made on the fly into place ready to complete it next time.