#1 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:18 PM

Just stumbled across this:

http://alienmeatball...pearl-necklace/

In this specific story, the app completely takes over the role of the Keeper. All of the lock, obstacle and exploration card locations are handled by the app as well. This makes setup and gameplay much faster while still retaining the beauty and uniqueness Mansions of Madness fans have come to love. The rules all hold true to the original game.

Have not tried it yet but am intrigued.

#2 shazzner

shazzner

Master

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:37 PM

I love it! Our biggest issue with Mansions in our group is the sheer amount of setup time and how one small mistake during setup can completely mess up the game.

#3 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:22 PM

The second edition of Mansions of Madness from FFG also features an app-based "Keeper". There's a review of it on ars Technica (thanks to yockenthwaite for the link).

#4 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA - In the cool, dark earthen floor. USA

Posted 03 September 2016 - 07:54 PM

for 99 USD, I'm absolutely buying this based on many positive reviews.

'Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911, But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shyte out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get' . 

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:37 PM

This weekend only Barnes & Noble is having a sale. I got my MoM 2nd Ed. copy for $65 USD including tax & shipping. Here is the Reddit link that clued me in...

https://www.reddit.c...and_noble_with/

#6 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA - In the cool, dark earthen floor. USA

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:53 PM

OH NOEZ!

I just used my Barnes and Noble 40% on an Xwing product...

Wait a min...I don't remember seeing a 2nd edition.

Gotta run...back to the store and then to a friends house with an unused coupon.

===========

Success !!!!!

Used a 40% coupon code that came in a email a SECOND time. Well, to clarify, used a cell phone bar code IN the store and just now, used the same email but I elected to use a 'enter this code' into the online Barnes and Noble shopping cart and still got the discount!

and, wait for it...

Free 3 day shipping and only @ $3.00 tax!

Total of $65.00 for a $99.00 - $110.00 retail game. Shipped to my front door.

Thanks for the 'infernal push' Senor Budapest from San Fran! Viva la Madness!!

'Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911, But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shyte out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get' . 

#7 spookymizu

spookymizu

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the notice. Just picked that sucker up! Woot! Woot!

#8 TheVisitor

TheVisitor

Master

• Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:37 AM

I tried this game at the "Spiel 2016" in Essen Germany and I have to say: This game is a hell of a lot of fun. It took five to then minutes to understand the game and its expertly themed. There are obvious issues when it comes to the app (how long will it be supported and so on) but as a "Descent, journeys in the Dark" keeper I have to say that the advantage of all players playing together outwheigs the drawback ins my opinion.

There are just things the app can do that would be very cumbersome for a human keeper like different dialoge options based on skill checks and what not.

This game can also be a perfect introduction for people who are interested in the Pen and Paper since it offers a lot in terms of investigation and Puzzle solving. This is not a combat only game! Which really came of as a suprise to me.

#9 finarvyn

finarvyn

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationArkham (okay... near Chicago)

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:49 AM

I have a "dumb phone" and can't use aps. I really need to hunt around for a 1E version of the game.

Marv / Finarvyn -- Investigator of the Unknown

#10 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

A pity you're in Arkham, I'm selling a copy of the first edition of the game.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:21 PM

I have a "dumb phone" and can't use aps. I really need to hunt around for a 1E version of the game.

Both Mac & PC versions (via Steam) are available so unless your posting on the Yoggie at your local library chances are you can run the app.

I got it, painted and rebased all the miniatures and played the first adventure with some friends. We had a blast. I'm looking forward to trying the next adventure.

#12 finarvyn

finarvyn

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationArkham (okay... near Chicago)

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:04 PM

A pity you're in Arkham, I'm selling a copy of the first edition of the game.

How about Chicago? Any closer to you?

Marv / Finarvyn -- Investigator of the Unknown

#13 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:19 PM

Not really - 3,600 miles.

#14 TheVisitor

TheVisitor

Master

• Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:03 AM

I got the game for a few weeks now and had a great time with it, I will go into more detail soon but first I want to ask: Has anyone of you played it and how do you like it?

#15 K1ngFiasco

K1ngFiasco

Neophyte

• 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:43 PM

Love this thing. 

The biggest problem with 1E was someone having to be the "Keeper". While in an RPG it's no big deal, in a boardgame using a horror theme it is very divisive. The Keeper knows everything, and can easily wipe out the players. In fact, too easily as the Keeper will have to exercise restraint just to make the game interesting. It typically causes the game to play out in one of two ways: The Keeper "wins" and the investigators get wiped out, or the Keeper allows the investigators to win. In RPG terms, it essentially means there is either a TPK, the investigators run out of time, or they succeed. Very rarely will the whole table be satisfied.

In 2E, it completely cures that. The App handles the role of Keeper (complete with voice acting, thematic music, sound effects, etc). However, it doesn't remove the "board" from "boardgame". You still track your inventory, draw cards, lay tiles, move you character, and more. Not once did I feel like the game was playing itself. Not once did I feel like I was "coloring by numbers". The whole table felt satisfied with the game, win or lose. The App really elevates the game from "good/average" to one of the best boardgames of 2016.

#16 lordof1

lordof1

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:20 PM

I have the second edition - I tend to do a lot of solo boardgaming, as much of my RPGing is online, and I must say, this is a REALLY great board game for soloing it (my other favourite so far - Pandemic: Legacy). There are moments, however, when I wonder if I'm not just playing a slightly fiddly computer game, but it doesn't matter - overall, MoM 2nd Ed is focused, fun, evocative... and you can save the game for another night, which is crucial for me. I get, on a good night, maybe an hour of gaming time, so being able to go back to the scenarios is very helpful. 

It's very much in the vein of Arkham Horror. I know AH has a (deserved) reputation for complicated setup, but it is also one of the best board gaming experiences I have ever had (at Continuum, maybe... gosh... 7 years ago? Has it been that long?)

All in all, I'd recommend it greatly. I got Eldritch Horror in the hope that it would be a less complicated version of Arkham Horror, but having played it with friends on a couple of occasions, we had to abandon the game every time because we all got too tired and frustrated, and it wasn't a lot of fun as a solo game. Mansions is, for me at least, an extremely good game. Recommended. Don't let the app put you off. I know we all have APP as our dump stat, though...

'Hi, I'm Nick Marsh. You may remember me from such classics as 'The Pale God', or 'Shadows by Gaslight - episode 3'!'
http://lordof1.blogspot.com - News from a Vet on the Front Line

#17 balhaza

balhaza

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:32 AM

Thanks for this review. I have first edition and played with a couple of friends. We found Mansions a lot more of a fussy set up than Arkham Horror. Though, that said, we had the pleasure of experiencing a friend lose all his sanity - 0 SAN and was then commendable by the keeper - me, to use his shotgun on others as the investigators try to escape a collapsing house.

Will probably give the app a try.