22 replies to this topic

#1 jkilby

jkilby

Master

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me out with some advice. 

I'm just putting the finishing touches to my MYTHOS CCG collection. I currently have: 
 - complete LIMITED set (210 cards, including all 9 x investigators. Plus one promo: PORTOPHOBIA, reprinted later in the STANDARD set)
 - complete CTHULHU RISING expansion (67 cards)
 - complete EXPEDITIONS OF THE MISKATONIC expansion (67 cards)
 - complete LEGENDS OF THE NECRONOMICON expansion (67 cards)
 - complete STANDARD set (fixed set, 104 cards, plus both investigators)
 - complete DREAMLANDS set (200 cards, plus all 5 x investigators) 
 - complete NEW AEON set (200 cards, plus incomplete set of investigators; they're proving very tough to find)

Once I find the missing investigators, I **planned** to sell the set as a complete package including the paperback strategy book. 

But I'm unsure how best to proceed. Selling individual sets would be easier, but would not command the same interest and price as a total set, perhaps? 

Prices for each set online are almost non-existant, so I may have to go down the eBay route in an open auction, perhaps with a reserve price.  

So my question is: do you have any advice on ANY of this, please? =D

And does anyone have a set of NEW AEON investigators for trade? I have a LOT of rares from all sets. 

Thanks, John

#2 rmeints

rmeints

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:49 PM

Chances are you would get MORE money selling each individual set than you would selling the entire collection of sets as one lot.

Many collectors that have the desire and money to buy large collections such as this might be re-sellers, who want to make a profit doing so, or are looking for a deal because they probably already own some or most of what you have on offer.

The general trend on Ebay follows this logic. Once you get over a certain price tag the size of the "interested buyers" pool shrinks quite a bit. I'm not saying it is impossible to sell this for more money as complete collection, but the trend shows it is more likely to put more money in your pocket if you sold the 7 sets individually. As for prices, I'm not sure what the sets would go for. They seldom come up for sale, and price greatly depends on who wants it at the time of the auction. These aren't commodity collectables like certain baseball cards, etc.

#3 jkilby

jkilby

Master

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:48 AM

That makes a lot of sense. And yes, I imagine timing on eBay is key. Thanks for the input! 

Can anyone else share their experiences, please?

Edited by jkilby, 18 May 2016 - 01:42 PM.

#4 Agent_Bluescale

Agent_Bluescale

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:53 PM

Do let us know when these go up. I have been looking for the Mythos card game for a while now.

Formally One_ofthe_Deep

#5 jkilby

jkilby

Master

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:31 PM

Will do. I'm now just looking for the following NEW AEON investigators to complete the entire MYTHOS CCG set:

- Obsessed Federal Agent/Obsessed Agent in Mi-Go Braincase
 - Pallid Programmer/Deep-One Hybrid
 - Skeptical Pathologist/Grinning Ghoul
 - Trigger-Happy Mercenary/Sardonic Serpentman

Edited by jkilby, 25 May 2016 - 12:34 PM.

#6 AndreasDavour

AndreasDavour

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:27 AM

Smaller batches sell better. Low starting prices are key. Those are almost always true.

Also, don't plan on getting rich selling cards.

--
The Omnipotent Eye
Blogging about new school, old school and everything in between

#7 jkilby

jkilby

Master

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:11 PM

Hah! Yes, good advice about getting rich. 

Thanks for adding to the "smaller batch" argument.

I'm still on the fence. Anyone have a counter-argument?  

#8 cyberdoc0001

cyberdoc0001

Neophyte

• 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:51 PM

Hello, I do sell a 'fair' amount of MYTHOS of eBay. Mostly Sealed Booster Boxes and the various Starters - we are about to 'start' selling singles as well - :) we have an extra 400-500 monthly slots that we aren't using - We are usually faced with the choice of selling for about 1/2 of its 'worth' or not selling. i.e. a Booster Box maybe worth $100+ but they 'sell' closer to $50.... again, but they $ell. (since we paid about 1/2 or that we are doing okay) But, sets are a 'wheel-within-a-wheel' the game was never huge -- I could not get any Chaosium support for a tournement at the last Necronomicon (when I was paying for everythin!) -- they were not at all interested -- so, since maybe 200 people in the world would want a complete set and a 100 already have them, not expect a huge 'fist-fight' your auction - with luck 2-3 'serious' collectors will crawl out of their 'subterrean grottos' and bid. So, really good luck.

Oddly, I would bid... but as a collector my pockets are quite shallow, and as for buying for 're-sale' I would expect to wait over a year to make a fair buy-it-now price. Last, month I 'stupidly' paid over $100 for a batch of 'illegal' CoC books (privately re-printed) I know I can't re-sell them but they are an interesting 'curio'...

#9 jkilby

jkilby

Master

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for that perspective, it's an eye-opener and very useful.

I'm new to eBay (tho I've sold through Amazon for a while now). The next great adventure!

I'm still on the fence about trying a "one big set" before trying individual ones, but that would sensibly have a minimum bid/reserve, or rely on a moderate "sell it now" price, both of which deter bidders. 

Anyway, much appreciated!

#10 cyberdoc0001

cyberdoc0001

Neophyte

• 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:51 PM

From seeing 'both' sides of the eBay thing I can say with a fair degree of confidence that I (and, by extention MOST buyers as well) HATE reserves -- I understand that they are in many cases both 'needed' and reasonable -- but, they are 'off-putting' and say in a loud clear voice that there is a fair chance that THIS is not a 'popular' item. Hence, the 'market' would on its own speak otherwise. I would never ask a seller to lose money on an auction --- but, on regular occasions I have bought a $20-$30 item for $1 --- Often when my bid was actually $10-$15 -- the market (or, a weak ad!) speaking.

As a seller -- I have lost money on .99 cent auctions --- but, as a general rule auctions get more attention and regularly pay more than a static sale --- but, in gamer terms 'you are rolling the dice' - if you have a large number of items in your auction MANY will do better than B-I-N's - the shotgun effect. And, 'let's see what else they' have effect.  But, eBay does tend to screw sellers with the extra money they charge for a Reserve Price. And, frankly they charge GOOD money for what most shopper's see as a 'red flag' --- I see all the time... a .99 cent start and a HIGH reserve (you can not see what it actually is but you can get a feeling about it from the ad) often times I put in bids that I KNOW will not meet the reserve -- in general, in these cases I will not blind bid more than 1/2 of what I would normally execpt to pay. But, to be fair, if there was something that I truly wanted, or thought was 'really' valuble I would bite.

RMA

P.S. we have never sold on Amazon.... how is it? My partner USED to 'sell' on ABEbooks and hated it quite a bit. She was stunned when she moved to my eBay page and sold 5 books in one week.

#11 jkilby

jkilby

Master

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:42 PM

Actually, selling on Amazon is pretty good. I chose to act as a reseller, but with them acting as the warehouse. I sent the stuff off to them, they evaluated and stored it, and took responsibility for delivery and customer care. I sold around £400 of stuff that way (electronics and books mostly) and Amazon didn't charge me THAT much to do it. I think if they'd ended up sitting on it for long I would have been charged warehouse space, but most of it went in 2 months. All in all, stress free. 

Again, thanks for your perspective. 

#12 jkilby

jkilby

Master

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:02 PM

Hi everyone,

I have now completed my Mythos CCG collection, and I'm preparing to sell it on eBay. 

This includes

- complete LIMITED set (210 cards, including all 9 x investigators. Plus one promo: PORTOPHOBIA, reprinted later in the STANDARD set)
 - complete CTHULHU RISING expansion (67 cards)
 - complete EXPEDITIONS OF THE MISKATONIC expansion (67 cards)
 - complete LEGENDS OF THE NECRONOMICON expansion (67 cards)
 - complete STANDARD set (fixed set, 104 cards, plus both investigators)
 - complete DREAMLANDS set (200 cards, plus all 5 x investigators) 
 - complete NEW AEON set (200 cards, plus all 5 x investigators)

These are all M/NM, and (with the exception of the half dozen cards I have recently acquired) have been stored in folders since I bought them in 1997. 

If anyone is interested in this auction, please drop me a line with your email (in this thread or PM) and I'll let you know once it's up. 

Thanks, John

#13 jkilby

jkilby

Master

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:21 PM

Hi everyone, 

I've finally decided to sell my 100% complete DREAMLANDS and NEW AEON sets for the MYTHOS CCG/TCG. They're here on eBay: 

http://www.ebay.co.u...97/201786317847

http://www.ebay.co.u...97/201786412168

My other sets will appear as time permits.

John

#14 jkilby

jkilby

Master

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:28 AM

Hi everyone, 

I've finally decided to sell my 100% complete LIMITED set for the MYTHOS CCG/TCG. It's here on eBay: 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201794828132

My other sets (CTHULHU RISING, EXPEDITIONS OF THE MISKATONIC and THE LEGENDS OF THE NECRONOMICON) will appear as time permits.

John

#15 jkilby

jkilby

Master

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

Hi everyone, 

I've finally added my complete collection of 100% complete expansions for the MYTHOS CCG to eBay: 

- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201798161885

This includes: 

- complete CTHULHU RISING expansion (67 cards)
 - complete EXPEDITIONS OF THE MISKATONIC expansion (67 cards)
 - complete LEGENDS OF THE NECRONOMICON expansion (67 cards)
 - complete STANDARD set (fixed set, 104 cards, plus both investigators)

BTW, to those who asked: the NEW AEON set sold for £300, and there's a lot of interest in the DREAMLANDS and LIMITED edition set that are there too.  

Thanks, John

#16 jkilby

jkilby

Master

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:10 PM

Hi everyone, 

It's been a month or two, but I just wanted to flag up that I still have a couple of MYTHOS CCG sets for sale.

The NEW AEON went to Providence (which made me very happy), but there's still DREAMLANDS and others available. 

http://www.ebay.co.u...es/379918742014

I'm not a trader, just a former collector of M/NM CCG sets and books who is clearing shelves. 

Prices are fair - aimed at collectors, not resellers - and are generally heading down. Someone will grab these soon enough. 

Thanks, John 

#17 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA - In the cool, dark earthen floor. USA

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:07 PM

Sadness

I have all these sets in mint as well, and you almost can't GIVE them away. The game was really blah and there is almost ZERO carryover - interest from the 1990's for this.

I plan to trade my entire / every single set for ONE hardback mythos book, most likely worth no more than $50.00 retail..

'Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911, But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shyte out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get' . 

#18 jkilby

jkilby

Master

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:19 PM

Wow, I've had plenty of interest, but I guess only the NEW AEON shifted quickly. I was surprised the DREAMLANDS set didn't go. But yes, it's slow work, and eBay is quite hard work. 

Sadness

I have all these sets in mint as well, and you almost can't GIVE them away. The game was really blah and there is almost ZERO carryover - interest from the 1990's for this.

I plan to trade my entire / every single set for ONE hardback mythos book, most likely worth no more than $50.00 retail..

#19 rmeints

rmeints

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

Sadness

I would happily purchase a set of the New Aeon cards from you, and for more than $50.

#20 cyberdoc0001

cyberdoc0001

Neophyte

• 6 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:15 PM

Well, I couldn't login last night -- but, I would easily pay 'quite a bit more' than $50.00 -- all things being equal - assuming good-to-excellent condition -- we have a TON of Mythos stuff - Chaosium items, Lovecraft material and RPG's for trade. Assume that we would 'start' the bidding closer to $100.00. :)

I think that this flurry of responses to your memo shows that there IS a fair amount of interest in the Mythos stuff...

Heck, I could even trade you a Convention membership for the NECRONOMICON 2017 in Providence -- I currently 'own' an extra one and can get more.

Trust me -- selling Mythos stuff 'online' can be a LONG process -- but, things do eventually move....

IF we can be of any help -- buy, trade, 'consignment' or advice -- just let us know.

:)

So, the 'wyrm' dangled in the Lake of Hali has already generated at least three different 'nibbles' -- and a fourth, who wanted an 'update' from me about what I did and did not have for sale...

Robert

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Collector, Sell