Taavi

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • LocationPnakotus, Australia

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:44 PM

Awesome work, Dean.

One tiny point - 42 MB seems very large for a 96 page file.

"Brainstorming DG/COC things without you would be like trying to hunt badgers with a borzoi." - Panchakahq Avatar from Habitica.com. RPGamify your life today!

#22 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:04 PM

Awesome work, Dean.

One tiny point - 42 MB seems very large for a 96 page file.

Yeah, I guess ... the file is exported using high quality settings (i.e., not much image compression at all). The up-side of this is that folks who want to print the file -- even professionally via POD services like Lulu -- should notice no weird artifacts from reduced image quality etc.

Dean (from Adelaide)

FREE high-quality Call of Cthulhu scenarios in PDF: cthulhureborn.wordpress.com

#23 sasori

sasori

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:06 PM

Just downloaded my copy. Wow, that's an impressive piece of work!  Heading over to LULU now to see what I can make of it. Glad I chipped in my pennies for that! :D

#24 BrianL

BrianL

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 30 May 2016 - 04:21 PM

Just downloaded my copy. Wow, that's an impressive piece of work!  Heading over to LULU now to see what I can make of it. Glad I chipped in my pennies for that! :D

For anyone who's interested in printing their own personal copy of this, or indeed any other PDF (for private use, of course), remember you can still use the LULURC code at checkout to get 25% off the cost as well as free shipping.

Omnia exeunt in mysterium. | G+

#25 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationPalm Bay, Florida

Posted 30 May 2016 - 10:14 PM

I found out that Lulu won't print a copy because it is password protected. If anyone else discovered something else, let me know.

Frankly, that's okay with me.

I can get it printed out a different way and then take it to my local copy center and get it bound there.

Won't be as nice looking as an actual book, but it will work out.

#26 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:18 PM

I found out that Lulu won't print a copy because it is password protected. If anyone else discovered something else, let me know.

Frankly, that's okay with me.

I can get it printed out a different way and then take it to my local copy center and get it bound there.

Won't be as nice looking as an actual book, but it will work out.

Huh ... I didn't know that LULU had that restriction either.

If you can hold off for a day or two, I am looking into ways of making it easy for folks who want to go the POD route to get their own printed version of "Convicts & Cthulhu." For those who don't want to go to this trouble themselves, I will also probably be coordinating a limited-time deal where I'll happily arrange POD copies for folks who can PayPal me the cost-price. Keep an eye on the Cthulhu Reborn blog for details.

Dean (from Adelaide)

#27 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:49 PM

Dean,

Either way would be fine. I'm in no rush to print out, and here in the states, it would take a little bit of arm wrangling to get my players to play in a place they know very little about. But I am sure my regular group would be happy to give it a go as a one-off session if nothing else.

Again, thanks for the fine work. Spent part of the afternoon reading the pdf from start to finish. I'm glad I still have at least one copy of the Australia Sourcebook and as an alpha playtester for Colonial Cthulhu, I still have all those files too.

#28 TheHistorian

TheHistorian

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:10 AM

For those who don't want to go to this trouble themselves, I will also probably be coordinating a limited-time deal where I'll happily arrange POD copies for folks who can PayPal me the cost-price. Keep an eye on the Cthulhu Reborn blog for details.

Dean (from Adelaide)

Please announce it here too!

#29 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:56 AM

I fixed the Secured issue by printing it into another file. I used a clip feature to take the front and back covers and make them jpegs and placed them side-by-side in Irfanview before stretching the picture slightly to fit the Lulu cover size spec. I uploaded the interior added the cover and it's on the way. Simples!

BTW the LULURC code doesn't work for authored material as it's already discounted for author's proof copies. I got it done for £3.18 plus shipping on top of the £5 I paid for the pdf.

I regularly do copies of material this way as shipping from the US to Europe is a b*tch. It might cost a little more than the raw cost of a printed book from the usual sources but the shipping cost is much lower.

#30 Mankcam

Mankcam

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:03 AM

As an Australian we have such an untapped history here perfect for period setting games like Cthulhu, so it's great to see a new product set here in Australia.

Excellent work, greatly appreciated!

#31 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:07 AM

I fixed the Secured issue by printing it into another file. I used a clip feature to take the front and back covers and make them jpegs and placed them side-by-side in Irfanview before stretching the picture slightly to fit the Lulu cover size spec. I uploaded the interior added the cover and it's on the way. Simples!

BTW the LULURC code doesn't work for authored material as it's already discounted for author's proof copies. I got it done for £3.18 plus shipping on top of the £5 I paid for the pdf.

I regularly do copies of material this way as shipping from the US to Europe is a b*tch. It might cost a little more than the raw cost of a printed book from the usual sources but the shipping cost is much lower.

I'm glad you got it to work, but that's a bit more work than I am sure I can do without watching some Youtube "How to" videos first. LOL

Don't get me wrong, I'm no computer dummy, but sometimes I forget to think outside the box to do what you ended up doing.

#32 fluffy

fluffy

Breakfast Clubber

• Innsmouth House Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:03 PM

A talented and dedicated addition to the Cthulhu tapestry. I am interested in the shiny new aspects that Australia and the story of the migration of convict, soldier and would be new australian give to the range of advemtures. In a way its like a new planet, supply lines were v stretched and knowledge of local flora and fauna scant. I look forward to experimenting with this.
Always carry a sturdy safety pin

#33 alexander1968

alexander1968

Master

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:47 AM

I have just bought the book and it seems of amazing quality for a freebie. These are hard times, so I did not pay as much as I wanted  :?  but at least it was abit above average  8)

www.grottadimerlino.com, www.infoludiche.org

#34 Mankcam

Mankcam

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:05 AM

+1 for a PoD !!!

#35 jaysun81

jaysun81

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:51 PM

I will also probably be coordinating a limited-time deal where I'll happily arrange POD copies for folks who can PayPal me the cost-price. Keep an eye on the Cthulhu Reborn blog for details.

Sweet! I'll be looking for that. 

Wood Planet Gaming Lodge

#36 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:46 PM

Thanks to everyone who has downloaded (and donated hard-earned dollars for) Convicts & Cthulhu. We've had a great response over on RPGNow, where C&C was unbelievably the #1 hottest download for the best part of the week (it's been knocked down to #2 in the last day or so). I'm particularly thankful to those who have donated -- someone even chipped in US$20 which is ridiculously generous. But really, even for those who've downloaded C&C for free we are very grateful for your interest (so, don't feel bad @alexander1968 -- we're stoked that you think the book is worth reading).

We are currently working through options for a POD release, and will announce something here as soon as we've got something set up with a printer (and reviewed a proof copy to make sure it meets quality expectations).

BTW: for those who haven't yet checked out the C&C setting, I think @fluffy's summation of its quirky historical "alien-ness" is spot on the money. When we were researching the earliest days of European settlement in Australia it was strange to read the contemporary accounts of how people perceived their new environment. Today, we'd call the landscape on which they settled amazingly fertile and probably quite beautiful, but the written descriptions of the day highlight how unfamiliar and "alien" everything seemed. Even the animals seemed weird; nobody really knew what lay beyond the boundaries of the tiny settlements. And despite it being a fertile land, the early colonists relied on shipments of food from England which occasionally ran late or never arrived, leaving the fledgling colony on the brink of starvation (even though there was loads of "bush food" all around). All-in-all it is very reminscent of fictional accounts of colonisation of distant and alien planets ... only with an 18th century backdrop :)

Thanks again to the hundreds of folks who have already snapped up a copy of Convicts & Cthulhu -- if you haven't yet got a copy, the link is: http://www.rpgnow.co...nvicts--Cthulhu

Dean (from Adelaide)

#37 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:12 PM

My Lulu printed copy was waiting for me when I got back from Games Expo this evening and looks great. My cropping and pasting the cover together left a slight white line at the top edge of the front cover but nothing serious. The binding is solid and the whole thing look great on  my shelf. Thanks Dean,

Nigel

#38 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:21 AM

First off, can I just say that I have been absolutely overwhelmed with the response that Convicts & Cthulhu has received. Virtual copies have been literally flying off the virtual shelves at RPGNow almost as quick as the bit-duplicators can make new PDF copies :) In all, well over 700 copies were sold in the first month that the PDF was on sale ... which for a tiny operation like Cthulhu Reborn is a big deal. Thanks to this demand Convicts & Cthulhu was RPGNow's "hottest title" for the first 4 or 5 days after its release and has only just dropped out of the top 15 list. Quite a few folks have also taken the opportunity to use the "Pay-What-You-Want" purchasing option for the PDF to donate a few bucks to Cthulhu Reborn; this generosity is very much appreciated.

Several folks have asked (here and on other forums) about a Print On Demand option for Convicts & Cthulhu ... and who am I to say to no to such a cool suggestion. So, as of a few moments ago I have uploaded and activated the softcopy print version of the book. Like the PDF this is a "Pay-What-You-Want" book ... which means something slightly different for a print book. Because it obviously costs some nominal amount to produce a physical book there is a minimum amount you must enter into the "Pay-What-You-Want" box. That amount is effectively the cost-price of printing the book; in the case of the 96-page Convicts & Cthulhu (with B&W interior and colour covers) that's about US$4.00. You are more than welcome to just enter in the cost price and proceed to the checkout, where you will need to add postage as per a normal book. Alternatively you can enter an amount MORE than the cost-price, which means that that extra amount goes to Cthulhu Reborn.

RPG's postage for the physical book obviously depend on where in the world you live -- their POD printing is via Lightning Source who have production facilities in the US, UK and Europe (and maybe other places too). Realistically though most folks will probably pay about US$5 or so for shipping, brining the base cost to about US$9 ish or so. That's still a pretty cheap deal for a 96 page book printed and shipped I guess.

The proof copy that I have received looks really cool ... I currently only have camera-phone quality pics, but the image below gives you some idea of how the book turned out :)

convicts-cthulhu-softcover-pic1-sml.jpg

Thanks again to everyone who bought Convicts & Cthulhu ... and thanks even more to those who donated to Cthulhu Reborn in the process! May Cthulhu haunt you forever! (in a good way)

Dean (from Adelaide)

Edited by dce, 28 June 2016 - 11:22 AM.

#39 BrianL

BrianL

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:50 PM

Several folks have asked (here and on other forums) about a Print On Demand option for Convicts & Cthulhu ... and who am I to say to no to such a cool suggestion. So, as of a few moments ago I have uploaded and activated the softcopy print version of the book. Like the PDF this is a "Pay-What-You-Want" book ... which means something slightly different for a print book. Because it obviously costs some nominal amount to produce a physical book there is a minimum amount you must enter into the "Pay-What-You-Want" box. That amount is effectively the cost-price of printing the book; in the case of the 96-page Convicts & Cthulhu (with B&W interior and colour covers) that's about US$4.00. You are more than welcome to just enter in the cost price and proceed to the checkout, where you will need to add postage as per a normal book. Alternatively you can enter an amount MORE than the cost-price, which means that that extra amount goes to Cthulhu Reborn.

This is great news, Dean - and all the plaudits you and Geoff have had for this book are very well deserved. I'm off to RPGnow as soon as I've typed this to secure myself a print copy. :)
Omnia exeunt in mysterium. | G+

#40 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:15 PM

Thanks again to everyone who bought Convicts & Cthulhu ... and thanks even more to those who donated to Cthulhu Reborn in the process! May Cthulhu haunt you forever! (in a good way)

Dean (from Adelaide)

Thanks Dean! Already went ahead and bought two copies of the POD: one for the table, one for my collection.

You've made my day!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Press Release, Publisher