• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SJE

SJE

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:22 PM

So I was listening to the podcast Unexplained (http://www.unexplain...pening-the-gate) which has lots of Cthulhu inspiration. I went back to listen to the first one and heard about the Netta Fornario mystery- (http://www.mysteriou...lt-mystery.html) - a Golden Dawn adept in 1929 who travelled to Iona and tried making telepathic contact with the spirits and faeries there, before trying to leave the island in a panic, was unnable due to lack of boats and was then found dead atop a fairy mound the next morning naked save for a cloak, dagger, a silver cross turned black and scratches all over her, but no visible wound.

But while I accept that Unexplained goes for the most Fortean explanation going, (pineal glands, making contact with faeries from other dimensions, psychic attacks from dead Golden Dawn leader Moina Mathers) and that is their schtick, some of the other facts about the case-  Netta's unhappy childhood, not fitting in, beliefs in her own telepathy, regularly getting lost on the island and falling into trances all speak more of an unhappy woman with mental health issues who had a psychotic break or other mental breakdown  and then wandered the moors naked in a daze or panic, scratching herself on gorse before dying of hypothermia or exposure.

Maybe its just my inner Occam's razor, but this episode just really wound me up the wrong way.  It's a tragedy, and she was doing some unusual stuff prior to her death,  but its not unexplainable.

Still I'm vaguely disappointed that Netta Fornario hasnt shown up in any Cthulhu Brittanica books (Scotland or London)

Running Curse of Nineveh. Survivor of Horror on the Orient Express @ GenCon2013. Keepered Beyond the Lighthouse of Madness, Shadows of Yog Sothoth: Fight Club, and Innsmouth, Masks of Nyarlathotep in London, World War Cthulhu - Saint Cernouf Sandbox

#2 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • LocationBeyond Time and Space

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:53 PM

I have yet to acquire a copy of it, but does "The Golden Dawn" by Scott Aniolowski have any mention of her in it?

#3 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:49 AM

I have yet to acquire a copy of it, but does "The Golden Dawn" by Scott Aniolowski have any mention of her in it?

Officially the author is Alan Smithee. :)

I'll check my copy but since the books focus is on Gaslight, I'm. It sure this case shows up in the Golden Dawn book.
My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#4 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:31 AM

Since I don't own it, all I could do was show the author listed by Amazon.com. I figure it would be unlikely, since it IS Gaslight, but I thought I'd ask... ;-)

#5 skaye

skaye

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:55 AM

It does not, from my poking through it.

#6 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:03 AM

Well, it was the only major campaign that seems to at least partially be predicated on the Golden Dawn (at least, if we go by its title), so I thought, "just maybe..." Ah well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Podcast