Photo
- - - - -

Help me shock and awe the players (Dark Ages)

Dark Ages

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 neorxnawang

neorxnawang

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:34 PM

I am writing something that I cannot go into details about. Suffice it to say that it is set in Dark Ages England, and involves a corporeal monster largely but not completely beyond the players' ability to combat.

I am working on a "big shock" scene where just how inhuman this thing is stands revealed, as it massacres and abuses both some people who deserve it, and some who don't. It just doesn't care how far it goes or who it does what to, but wants to inspire terror in its wake.

Help me shock the players when they either witness the massacre or stumble onto its aftermath. I am looking for really awful and really memorable, which is why I am inviting outside input. I've written one massacre scene that they've stumbled on to, but want to go large with this one.

Adopted suggestions will receive a friendly nod at publication.

#2 Roucheau

Roucheau

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 04:19 PM

I'd just research historical massacres. Not much is more horrific than what man has done to each other already.

#3 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:46 PM

I think if you go subtle initially - describe a weird red film, and a scattering of small white stones. Let the players realize it's human flesh turned to paste mixed with fragments of bone and teeth. Hundreds, perhaps thousands of teeth...
My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#4 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:43 PM

The 'entity' has pulverized every bone in every body.

Misshapen bags of broken, bloated and burst flesh lie all about.

Somehow, some survived the ordeal, broken they dragged themselves towards the door, dragging their burst organs along the way. The smell. They died with their eyes open.
Oh wait...there's one still alive....it tries to speak. 

"The die is cast"
- Julius Caesar (ultimate power gamer)

“Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.”
HPL

#5 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:56 PM

You don't actually need to show any gore or dead bodies or anything all all—just establish that the people who the monster takes out are the baddest of the badass in the local area, and have them disappear into the night.

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#6 Kblitz

Kblitz

Neophyte

• 6 posts
  • LocationNear Washington DC, USA

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:01 AM

Or be subtle, have every single person in a given structure be sitting still, eyes glazed and slumped. Dead without a single mark on their body. Take a filled church, or a Mead hall or whatever. Just rows of silent recently dead people. even the flies and spiders are dead. Cats, dogs, birds, rats... all utterly dead and still.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Ages