Photo
- - - - -

Call of Cthulhu: The Official Video Game (Cyanide Studio)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,419 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:24 PM

There's a new Chaosium-licensed Call of Cthulhu video game on its way from Cyanide Studio:

http://callofcthulhu-game.com

I've created this thread for any future information about it (and to help stop any confusion with the Cthulhu-based video game coming out from Frogwares (The Sinking City) - whose story is being developed by sda.

callofcthulhu-02.jpg

#2 Cherno

Cherno

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:33 PM

This is all getting very confusing... :8E:

#3 drone232

drone232

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationAlabama, U.S.A

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:10 AM

Oh yes, very good. There is really only one game based on Call of Cthulhu and it came out I think in 2005 and was plagued with glitches and somwhat poor gameplay that resulted in the planned sequal to get cancelled. I hope this launches a new series or even wave of horror games based on Lovecraft's and friend's mythology. It would be easy, just take any good Call of Cthulhu campaign and use it as the plot for a first person stealth based survival horror. Gameplay mechanics similar to Alien: Isolation would do very well I think. A very good main antagonist would be Nyarlothohtep and his many forms and aspects of chaos. He makes a much more compelling villain then Cthulhu in my opinion. 

#4 MarkMorrison

MarkMorrison

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:03 PM

Hi everyone -

I'm delighted to say that I've been lending a (severed) hand on this game; it's been great fun coming up with demented story ideas with Jean-Marc and Max at Cyanide.

This article from PC Games N talks about what they're up to, I can't wait to see how it all turns out:

http://www.pcgamesn....ity-for-answers

Best,

Mark

#5 Aklo

Aklo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:48 PM

Okay, so THIS is the Official Call of Cthulhu Video game we've all been waiting for? I hope so. I mean the more the merrier when it comes to Lovecraft in video games, but I really want that CoC flair that (for the most part) worked so well in Dark Corners of the Earth.

The Optimist in me says we live in the best of all possible worlds...The Pessimist in me believes this is true.

#6 blackstone

blackstone

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:02 PM

IMO, the only way this game will be good if it's multi-player.

It can be done and not become a first person shooter.

I don't know. IT will probably only appeal to the CoC crowd and not computer/console gamers.

#7 Laraqua

Laraqua

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:41 PM

Do you mean a co-op game where folks work together?  I think that could only work if it's like Alone in the Dark: New Nightmare where the two characters (you can play both) are mostly separated but come together occasionally (though getting the timing on that could be a pain).  It's less scary to move a group of people through an area, at least in terms of being in a videogame as the reality of it would be more frightening with everyone playing off each other's fear and hysteria.  Also harder to stealth as a pack.

I reckon a game like Outlast but with Lovecraftian appeal / storyline could be great, too.   :)

Actually the original Outlast's story could work as a tale of Lovecraft.

SPOILERS FOR OUTLAST BELOW IN White, highlight to see.  Man, neither <spoiler> nor <spoilertag> are html that work here.  really need to find out what it is.

Considering the mixture of science fiction and horror elements in that nanite-cloud / ancient spirit-being.

Check out my blog on horror roleplaying: http://stwildonrolep...g.blogspot.com/

#8 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:45 PM

I'm not a fan of multiplayer, especially in this type of game.

#9 MarkMorrison

MarkMorrison

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:46 PM

Hi everyone -

I was involved in the initial plotting, so do not speak for the fine team at Cyanides, but I can share some information that is already out there:

Call of Cthulhu is a single player investigation game. To approximate the feel of a team of investigators, the game has a companion system; you recruit allies and can then send them off to do things. You can read more about it in this preview on PC Games N (bonus, the author is a CoC RPG player):

http://www.pcgamesn....ity-for-answers

And, here's the first preview, from Vice:

http://www.vice.com/...dictability-112

Blackstone, your idea is cool. But, from my experience of 20 years in videogames (and, importantly, my opinion, not that of Focus or Cyanides), adding full multiplayer requires considerable budget: new characters and animations, voice acting, code to make it all work, puzzles that make use of multiple players, etc.

Traditionally these games are single player experiences, and it seems that folks are comfortable with that. Where we do see popular and best selling horror multiplayer games they seem to be FPS (eg Left 4 Dead), because shooting and action is a lot more straight forwards to make than multiplayer investigation. (I don't take anything away from the skill of Valve or just how awesome Left 4 Dead is, it's just that when you make a videogame it's nice to have a clear focus). Left 4 Dead also perfectly suits the quick drop-in-and-play-culture of online games, whereas an investigatorial multiplayer would work best with a dedicated group of friends who all go through the mystery at the same time.

Again, I think that it would be really awesome to play a game as you describe it, but once you add the technical issues and the smaller market share, it might be hard to make a game to the right quality level and still make money. Perhaps this is something that we will see evolve in the indie space, where people are free to develop ideas without the constraint of next-gen graphics.

Luckily, we will always have regular CoC for the perfect multiplayer experience!

Best,

Mark

#10 shazzner

shazzner

Master

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:52 PM

I think multiplayer for this type of game is a horrible trap and a waste of the material. Also FunFact: if you read the history of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, they tried the multiplayer thing which lead to four years of wasted development (and ultimately a bit of a mess of a game).

I'm really just hoping and praying to the elder gods it will be ported to SteamOS/Linux.

#11 Danial

Danial

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:54 AM

I agree that multiplayer would be a waste of time and effort for a game like this. Even companion "co-op" can get sketchy unless they have amazing AI. I'd rather them focus on bringing us an atmospheric single-player experience. 

#12 Mortagon

Mortagon

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationHorten, Norway

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:15 PM

Here's the first trailer.

No man is sane who does not know how to be insane on proper occasions.
Henry Ward Beecher

#13 noahghola

noahghola

Master

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:36 PM

Here's the first trailer.

Granted it's just the first trailer, but as someone who loves horror video games I am so excited for this. Will try to not get my hopes too high, however...

#14 Laraqua

Laraqua

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:12 PM

Same.  I'm keeping it on a "this shall be fun" level rather than "this will be epic!"  Because then, strangely enough, I'm more likely to find it epic...

Check out my blog on horror roleplaying: http://stwildonrolep...g.blogspot.com/

#15 Danial

Danial

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:49 PM

I'm just curious how much it's actually taking from Call of Cthulhu to justify licensing the name.

#16 TheVisitor

TheVisitor

Master

• Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:29 AM

I really hope this is isn't one of those "Atmosphere and jumpscares only" type of deals like Outlast. Although I liked Outlast somewhat, the actually gameplay was very shallow and there wasn't that much to challenge those grey cells.

#17 Mortagon

Mortagon

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationHorten, Norway

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

New trailer is up.

Henry Ward Beecher

#18 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill, NC

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:01 PM

Being a dedicated gaming hobbyist I have no idea how I missed this until literally yesterday. A game based on the PnP game rather than HPL's story is so incredibly righteous I can hardly believe it's even happening!

#19 Mortagon

Mortagon

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationHorten, Norway

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:12 PM

New E3 trailer

I'm getting excited for this game.

Henry Ward Beecher

#20 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,419 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

Apparently the video game is based on D&D.... :-)