26 replies to this topic

#1 Friedland

Friedland

Breakfast Clubber

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:17 AM

Very unsettling film by the looks of things. May be of interest to folks on here....

#2 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:37 AM

My wife and I saw it last night and enjoyed it. Definitely a creepy film.

#3 Aklo

Aklo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:22 AM

My wife and I saw it last night and enjoyed it. Definitely a creepy film.

Adam, not trolling for spoilers here, but IS there actually any black magic or supernatural elements in this movie? I've gotten the impression its actually more of a psychological thriller, rather than a horror movie.

The Optimist in me says we live in the best of all possible worlds...The Pessimist in me believes this is true.

#4 Friedland

Friedland

Breakfast Clubber

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:14 PM

Here's a decent review. No spoilers it seems.
http://www.avclub.co...le-level-232153

#5 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:24 PM

Here's another review, also positive, with spoilers -

http://newenglandfol...lktale.html?m=1
My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#6 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:27 PM

Adam, not trolling for spoilers here, but IS there actually any black magic or supernatural elements in this movie? I've gotten the impression its actually more of a psychological thriller, rather than a horror movie.

Aklo,

Spoiler

Edited by AdamAlexander, 22 February 2016 - 06:39 PM.

#7 fieldworking

fieldworking

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:57 PM

My partner and I rather enjoyed this film, though I cannot say that the irritating fellows behind us did, prattling on and laughing like five-year-olds at any and all intimations of nakedness. The audience seemed a bit split on the film, but it's right up my alley--odd and creepy. It would make a good double-billing with the surreal-hallucinogenic film 'A Field in England.'

It also interested me that it was filmed in Algonquin Park at the abandoned townsite of Kiosk, Ontario, Canada. That's not far from my neck of the woods, so I was keen to see it on film, even if it was masquerading as New England.

Edited by fieldworking, 22 February 2016 - 07:59 PM.

#8 Aklo

Aklo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:24 PM

Here's a decent review. No spoilers it seems.
http://www.avclub.co...le-level-232153

Woah! This sounds really good!

Thanks for the hint AdamAlexander, between this and Friedland's review, I'm seeing it this weekend for sure.

Glad to hear its getting positive review WinstonP but I'll hold off anymore spoilers.

The Optimist in me says we live in the best of all possible worlds...The Pessimist in me believes this is true.

#9 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:21 PM

Happy to help

#10 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:56 AM

Well worth catching in the theatre if one can.

#11 Aklo

Aklo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:05 AM

Hmm...just saw it in theaters, and it was very interesting. I'd enjoy a spoilers discussion on the film, anybody pick up on any symbolism of overall message? It felt truly stark to me, a grisly Grimms fairy tale, straight, to the point, and shocking in its depiction of violence. Very good film...but very odd, and as my theater audience will attest, quite outside the usual horror fare.

#12 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:17 PM

I'm game for a thread where spoilers abound.

#13 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMonterey, California

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:20 PM

This article - on the historical accuracy of the film - is very interesting, but mind there are significant spoilers: http://www.slate.com...ate_crazed.html.

#14 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationSerpent-haunted Ehssi-Keh, beside the Lake of the Mound

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:54 AM

A good review I stumbled upon via Facebook:

http://www.theameric...ields-with-god/

No real spoilers.

#15 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:57 PM

My wife and i saw this in the theatre last month (or so), and it's out on Blu-ray today.

I highly, highly recommend The VVitch. The atmosphere and sense of foreboding is oppressive, the acting spot on (with some amazing performances by the children in particular), and the sense of time and place is nailed pretty damn well. 

The VVitch is more of a slow burn, with hardly any jump scares or the typical horror tropes that are used nowadays. And the story will have you guessing as to whether it's all real, or religious-induced panic that's at the heart of it all.

I'm honestly not sure i'd call it a "horror" movie. But i don't know how else to categorize it. Needless to say, if you're a horror fan, go see it. If you have any thoughts on running a Colonial Lovecraft campaign or one shot, this movie will give you plenty of ideas and starting points.

It's awesome. Can't wait to see it again.

-=badger

Designer of Eldritch Tomes for Chaosium, Pagan, MRP, GGP
www.squamousstudios.com || Twitter: @squamousstudios
The only way to escape terror is to bury yourself in it.

#16 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA - In the cool, dark earthen floor. USA

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:28 AM

Chances are, if you are a denizen of this forum, you will love the VVitch.

and let's face it, it's not too often ya get to use two V's together!

Edited by Nick Storm, 19 May 2016 - 01:30 AM.

'Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911, But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shyte out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get' . 

#17 JorgePedraboa

JorgePedraboa

Master

• Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSlums of Hiperborea

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:11 AM

As Badger said, it is a slow burn, but boy, it burns. Great movie and in my opinion one of the best of the newer ones. I am not fond on jumpscares, so I found it great! 

I believe that those that didn't like it were specting a typical slasher or something in the genra.

#18 noahghola

noahghola

Master

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:30 PM

Just watched this last night, and thought it was fantastic. I kept thinking Lovecraft throughout the movie, not because anything overtly mythos-related occurs, but because the forces at work seem utterly uncaring for the people in the film. They're utterly helpless, as those who encounter the mythos always are. That being said, some of the scenes in the film would make for wonderful descriptions to incorporate into a game--I'm thinking particularly of the fire scene in the woods (if you've seen it you know which one) at the very end of the film. 

#19 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:54 PM

I would say the film has a lot less in common with Lovecraft, than one of Lovecraft's subtler and more rarely-mentioned influences in Nathaniel Hawthorne. 

I saw this film a few days ago myself - I'm not sure really how I feel about it yet. 

It's not a bad film, but it's not an easy film for me to love:  it's unrelentingly bleak and pessimistic.  Expect no happy ending in this film, no ray of hope, and not even any sense that the characters deserve on any level what happens to them.  If you are really up for a film in which the universe simply does not care about what happens within it, and the victims and anything they say or do truly does not matter on any scheme grander than the occasional brief, frail moment between two characters shuddering beneath a vast and uncompromising alien wilderness and the forces of evil hiding within it, then this film should certainly deliver.  In the end, though, I can't imagine there's much pleasure for even the most ghoulish among us to take away from this film.

Still, in spite of my misgivings, the scares were effective, the atmosphere and scenery were both chilling and beautiful, and I found myself caring quite a bit for the family and what happens to them in spite of (or because of) their many imperfections and weaknesses.

I wouldn't characterize the film as "Lovecraftian", but there's still a lot here that fans of Lovecraftian horror can appreciate.  And, anyway, how often is it that you can say you've seen a "Hawthornian" horror film?  (Truly, the 1963 Vincent Price anthology film Twice-Told Tales is the only other example I can think of!)

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#20 Aklo

Aklo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:07 PM

Bam! You've nailed it I think. "Hawthornian" is now a movie term I'll be using in respect to this film and a few others...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Film, Spoilers