6 replies to this topic

#1 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:19 AM

I know that WinstonP (of Sentinel Hill Press fame) usually does a brief retrospective of each year's CoC releases at the closing of the year. At the risk of stealing his thunder, and having just updated the English-language CoC publications list over on the CthulhuWiki, I thought I'd just mention here some stats that may be of interest to YSDC readers.

In 2015 there were, in total, 16 supplements professionally published by Chaosium and it's licensees (well, 17 if you count the core 7th Edition rules as well). A handful of those are still finding their way into the world as physical items -- like the aforementioned rulebooks -- and a couple seem to have made brief appearances for sale at conventions but haven't been made available for general sale yet.

Now, 16 new books in a year is pretty good ... in fact it makes 2015 the the equally-most productive year for CoC (level with 2009), at least as far as book publications go. Back in 2009 we also had a steady stream of monographs and a trickle of magazine issues, both of which are entirely absent from last year's output.

In terms of new scenarios being released, 2015 was also a pretty productive year -- by my count there were around 43 new scenarios (or campaign chapters) published, all of them in books. By comparison, in 2014 there were only 30 new scenarios published in English for CoC (26 in books and 4 in magazines) ... although current output is still short of the most productive era when the monographs were still going -- back in 2009 there were a total of 63 new scenarios released (35 in books, 3 in magazines and 25 in monographs).

So ... all-in-all, a pretty decent output for 2015. Here's hoping that with the juggernaut of the 7e rules publication now mostly done-and-dusted that will allow the floodgates to open on other projects waiting in the wings for 2016!

Dean (from Adelaide)

FREE high-quality Call of Cthulhu scenarios in PDF: cthulhureborn.wordpress.com

#2 DadsAngry

DadsAngry

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:33 AM

What about The Journal of Neve Selcibuc and The Journal of Reginald Campbell Thompson by cubicle 7. Do they not qualify to go on the list? They are supplements for The Curse of Nineveh.

Also in the CoC:UnreleasedSupplements section the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion isn't listed.

Edited by DadsAngry, 28 January 2016 - 03:44 AM.

#3 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:02 AM

What about The Journal of Neve Selcibuc and The Journal of Reginald Campbell Thompson by cubicle 7. Do they not qualify to go on the list? They are supplements for The Curse of Nineveh.

Also in the CoC:UnreleasedSupplements section the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion isn't listed.

Yeah, it's hard to know how to capture stuff like those Journals -- particularly if they don't contain any game data at all. At the moment, the journals are mentioned on the Wiki pages for both the Cthulhu Britannica: London box and Curse of Nineveh, but don't have their own entries on the supplement list. Another difficult one is the accessories that were released as part of Chaosium's 7e Kickstarter. While most of those items (e.g., the statigraph) seem to have come out with product codes clearly derived from the main CoC7e code ... for some reason the decks of cards have a separate code (and for that reason are listed as a separate product) -- that's pretty arbitrary I guess and a case could be made for recording those differently.

And the Masks Companion *was* on the upcoming list ... and then it was removed when the MoNC got "released" (as a free PDF here on YSDC) ... Of course the companion subsequently got UN-released when the Kickstarter happened and the PDF download link was removed. So, is it released or not ... who can say? Maybe it's in a Zen-like state where it is both released and upcoming?

Dean (from Adelaide)

#4 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,533 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:45 PM

I know that WinstonP (of Sentinel Hill Press fame) usually does a brief retrospective of each year's CoC releases at the closing of the year. At the risk of stealing his thunder, and having just updated the English-language CoC publications list over on the CthulhuWiki, I thought I'd just mention here some stats that may be of interest to YSDC readers.

No thunder stolen - I haven't the time (or the books frankly) to do a real year-end wrap up for 2015.  I'm just glad to have added to that fine collection for the year in my own small way.

(I noticed you say there were no scenarios in magazines Dean.  Did you somehow forget "The Queen of Night"?)

My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#5 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:34 PM

(I noticed you say there were no scenarios in magazines Dean.  Did you somehow forget "The Queen of Night"?)

Hmm ... why, yes I did.

I will go back and correct. Sorry WinstonP.

Dean (from Adelaide)

#6 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:03 AM

Thanks to the comment from WinstonP I went back to recalculate the number of scenarios published in 2015 ... there were actually more than I originally thought (and not just "The Queen of Night" that missed being counted).

According to the list on the Wiki, there were 52 new scenarios/campaign-chapters published (in English) last year -- 51 in books and 1 in a magazine (The Arkham Gazette). That's actually the most that have ever been released in books during a calendar year. The previous record was 44 book-published scenarios in 2013 and before that you need to go way back to the 1990s to find a similar quantity of scenarios being published each year.

Of course 2015 still falls short of the all-time most productive year for new scenarios if you allow Monographs into the count -- 2009 still wins with a grand total of 63 new scenarios, followed by 2013 with 56 new scenarios and 2011 with 53 new scenarios.

If you leave Monographs out of the mix entirely, there was only one year in the entire history of the game where more new content was created compared to 2015 -- back in 1992 (when there were a LOT more magazine scenarios being featured in multiple magazines).

Dean (from Adelaide)

#7 cpt_machine

cpt_machine

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationDoncaster, UK

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:19 AM

Looking forward to 2016 with the hard copies of 7th will kick start a new game for me and also looking forward to the Delta Green RPG.
"I have always been my own teacher, and I must confess I am also my favorite pupil"
-Lestat

Captain Machine's UK Gaming Vlog
www.youtube.com/cptmachine