Photo
- - - - -

The Great Atlantis Hoax of 1912 - Campaign seed?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:36 PM

I first heard about this story on the Archaeology Fantasies podcast a few days ago and was sufficiently interested to go poking around on the internet.

Basically in 1912 one of the Hearst newspapers ran a wild, decidedly pulpy story about a quest for Atlantis lead by the alleged grandson of the finder of Troy, the story seems to have been the start point for James Churchwards tales about Mu.

I am linking here to an online copy of the original article over at sacred-texts.com:

http://www.sacred-te...l/hif/index.htm

I think that this has possibilities for a campaign, but I know I'm not the person to write it (I'm having enough problems sorting out my planned Farming based scenario...)  so I'll leave this for someone with more time and I think more inspiration than I have at present.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#2 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:36 PM

Good stuff!

You could set it up like Beyond the Mountains of Madness, with rival expeditions claiming Schliemann's prize. Perhaps those tricky Brits have located an illegitimate scion....

Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#3 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:21 PM

Good stuff!

You could set it up like Beyond the Mountains of Madness, with rival expeditions claiming Schliemann's prize. Perhaps those tricky Brits have located an illegitimate scion....

Definitely a possibility, though the English Expedition is only going to the Bay of Campeche not the mid-Atlantic. That said this certainly has all the locations for a world spanning romp:

Sais, Egypt

Tiwanaku, Bolivia

Lhasa, Tibet

Mexico, where a William Nevin found a number of tablets containing Naacal texts near the capital.

Later:

For a more 'interesting' looking suit than the one in the article, there is this late 19th C French design:

carmagnolle1.jpg

http://www.divingher...om/armored2.htm

Although some quick research shows the Bay of Campeche to be well within reach of standard Hard hat suits of the type featured in the scenario 'Crash Dive' from Fearful Passages.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#4 ReydeAmarillo

ReydeAmarillo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationScotland, UK

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:33 AM

Fantastic find and potential hook -thank you rylehNC.

It got me thinking about a far shallower drowned city-Dunwich in England's Eastern counties. Was, in the 1200's the capital of that part of England, and almost as big as London. Now all that remains is a small village and sparse ruins.

Although the official explanation is coastal erosion and the effects of several major storms in the 1200's&1300's, I am sure that a Mythos rational could be applied?

The thought came to me that a Classic COC and Dark Ages campaign could be run concurrently, using the same players. One experiencing the events (even gaining the Wave of Oblivion spell to drown the town -trapping something even worse there?) and one re-discovering them 700 years later?

#5 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:33 AM

I played in a scenario written by Matt Sanderson that dealt with Dunwich and a seventeenth century storm or it might have been a nineteenth century storm, things got a bit confused with flashbacks and dream sequences. I don't know where it's published but it was great fun.

#6 misterc

misterc

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:49 PM

Is it 'An Amarantine Desire' in Nameless Horrors?

I haven't run it but it looks very good. 

#7 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:59 PM

Fantastic find and potential hook -thank you rylehNC.

The credit is all Graham's!

Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#8 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:19 PM

Did a little more digging online and managed to find the diving suit pictured in the article I linked to in the OP. Aparently little is known about the inventor, but he did get the thing to work and it was good to 65 meters of water, just the thing for the Bay of Campeche:

http://www.therebrea...E_Macduffee.htm

That said I do have a soft spot for the French suit, although I keep expecting to find a Mi-go climbining out of it rather than a human.

#9 ReydeAmarillo

ReydeAmarillo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationScotland, UK

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:26 PM

The credit is all Graham's!

Graham, my apologies.

Next time I will read a thread properly before posting!!

#10 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:01 PM

Just checked the blog of Jason Colavito and found another newspaper hoax from three years previous that could also be added to this campaign as a location:

In April of 1909, the Arizona Gazette published a mildly amusing hoax about a Tibetan-style underground civilization found in the Grand Canyon.....

http://www.jasoncola...anyon-hoax.html

#11 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:00 PM

Just checked the blog of Jason Colavito and found another newspaper hoax from three years previous that could also be added to this campaign as a location:

http://www.jasoncola...anyon-hoax.html

I believe the Grand Canyon was also supposedly where a secret Egyptian tomb was located in another newspaper hoax of that era... a hoax now appropriated by fringe types and Young Earth creationists.  I can't find that specific example, but I did find this on the same site:

http://www.jasoncola...he-grand-canyon

My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#12 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:21 AM

I believe the Grand Canyon was also supposedly where a secret Egyptian tomb was located in another newspaper hoax of that era... a hoax now appropriated by fringe types and Young Earth creationists.  I can't find that specific example, but I did find this on the same site:

http://www.jasoncola...he-grand-canyon

Nice find, it elaborates on the sources, there is at least one other 'underground city' hoax from the 19th C that I'm trying to find. I'm actually surprised that no one has looked at this stuff before, it almost writes itself.

#13 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:49 PM

Just found the other great 'Underground Lost City' hoax on Colovitos blog as well, this one is from the 19thC

The following newspaper accounts of the imaginary discovery of a lost city beneath Moberly, Mo. in 1885 bears an uncanny similarity to the 1909 hoax.

http://www.jasoncola...-city-hoax.html

Now to figure out how to tie them all together....

#14 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:23 PM

Isn't this stuff fun? :-P

"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>

#15 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:51 AM

Isn't this stuff fun? :-P

Apologies for the length of time replying to this (About six months...), but it is incredibly fun and, much of this stuff is the kind of material Lovecraft and other pulp writers used for inspiration. Mind you it works both ways, the article I linked to in the OP is allegedly heavily inspired by H. Rider Haggards 'She'.

And I've found something else to be added to the mix, Australian author Earle Cox's (Wikipedia) "Out of the Silence", though I will warn, this does contain as would anything written back then (1919) material that may offend...

http://gutenberg.net...s06/0604821.txt

#16 OttoHarkaman

OttoHarkaman

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationLexington, Kentucky

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:17 PM

I have a book on my bookshelf that I have never read but have been meaning to. Found it in a used bookstore and bought it on a whim

Sprague de Camp's "Lost Continents"
https://en.wikipedia...Lost_Continents

220px-Lost_continents_gnome.jpg

He explains the origins of the Atlantis legend in Plato's Timaios and Kritias dialogues and how it has been continued, developed and imitated by later theorists, speculators, scientific enquirers, enthusiasts, occultists, quacks, and fantasists throughout history. Major speculative locales as Atlantis, Mu and Lemuria are covered in depth, with the origins of lesser-known ones such as Thule,Hyperborea and Rutas also treated. The work shows how the misinterpretation of Mayan writings created the Mu-myth, and how the name Lemuria originated from the geological hypothesis about a land bridge between India and South Africa. Modern usage of the concept in speculative fiction is gone into, as are the various attempts to discover the "real" Atlantis.

#17 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:22 AM

Bumping this because the Skeptoid blog has just covered the 'Lost Egyptian City in the Grand Canyon' story. The link below is to the show notes.

Skeptoid Episode 556: Exploring Kincaid's Cave

#18 Travern

Travern

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:38 PM

Meanwhile, director James Cameron is teasing discoveries in his search for the "real" lost city, which will be part of his upcoming National Geographic documentary, "Atlantis Rising".

Edit: See the link in the comment below (scathing is mild - it sounds as though National Geographic is lowering itself to the level of the History Channel after partnering with Fox).

Edited by Travern, 03 February 2017 - 02:19 AM.

#19 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:52 AM

To save anyone watching it, here is Jason Colavito's scathing review, from which it may be possible to tease out ideas that Keepers can re-use.

Edited by Graham, 03 February 2017 - 12:52 AM.

#20 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

Another 'Lost City' hoax, this time set in Mexico courtesy of Jason Colavitos blog, this one could easily be combined with the material in the OP.

From the City of Mexico comes a statement bearing the signature of Dr. Nicholas Leon, archaeologist of the National Museum of Mexico. The signature would justify the belief that proper investigation of the facts related has been made.

The one great fact is that an ancient city, which was located near the present town of Paredon, in the state of Coahuila, some 500 miles north of the City of Mexico, was suddenly destroyed in some past age by an overflow of water and mud, and that its remains are still existent on the spot. Many massive walls have been found, but they are covered with a mass of deposited earth, sixty feet in thickness. And mingled in this earth are human skeletons, the tusks of elephants, etc., distributed in a way which indicates that the overflow of water and mud was sudden, giving no time for escape.

http://www.jasoncola...redon-hoax.html