• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#41 clockworkjoe

clockworkjoe

Master

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:17 PM

Why is it an option? It seems to be identical to the $100 level, but the latter clearly includes the COM.

Rising Threats was added as a reward later on in order to make it simpler for people to get all the PDFs. 

I'm not sure what option you are referring to. 

The add ons also have the print versions so backers can choose exactly what they want. 

#42 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMonterey, California

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:36 PM

Rising Threats was added as a reward later on in order to make it simpler for people to get all the PDFs. 

I'm not sure what option you are referring to. 

The add ons also have the print versions so backers can choose exactly what they want. 

When I was perusing the backer options there is a reward "Every Single pdf" for $100 - "Rising Threats" has nearly identical language (and wasn't present before a day or two ago).

#43 clockworkjoe

clockworkjoe

Master

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:00 AM

Yes, Rising Threats was added later to the Kickstarter. People at those levels can switch or use the extra money to pay for add ons. 

#44 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMonterey, California

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:56 AM

Yes, Rising Threats was added later to the Kickstarter. People at those levels can switch or use the extra money to pay for add ons. 

Ok, I'll bite. I don't know why, but $80 seems a lot more more doable.

#45 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:33 AM

I've decided to skip this KS. I'm not particularly interested in any of the stretch goals or add-ons or whatever, and $50 + considerable shipping ($40?) seems rather steep for a 160 p. full-color hardcover. I think it'll be a lot cheaper for me to get it through regular retail once it's out and I decide that I do want it, so there's no real advantage for me to backing the KS instead.

Edited by HomoLupusDomesticus, 05 October 2015 - 05:34 AM.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#46 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:59 PM

Matthew Sanderson has written a handy guide to getting what you want out of the Delta Green Kickstarter, along with discussing some other Cthulhu-related KS projects that are live now.

http://blasphemousto...update-october/

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias : a Podcast about Call of Cthulhu.

#47 Travern

Travern

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:40 PM

Matthew Sanderson has written a handy guide to getting what you want out of the Delta Green Kickstarter, along with discussing some other Cthulhu-related KS projects that are live now.

Thank you for the link!  In addition to a helpfully succinct overview, it spells out the option I'm most interested in backing yet find the most confounding because of Arc Dream's a la carte Kickstarter menu.

The CASE OFFICER’S HANDBOOK is the confusing one.

If you want that in PDF and are not interested in the AGENT’S HANDBOOK, then you need to select either the $20 level (Agent’s PDF) or $80 (Rising Threats) and then add $10 to get the CASE OFFICER’S HANDBOOK rather than the AGENT’S HANDBOOK.

If you want the CASE OFFICER’S HANDBOOK in dead tree format, go for $50 (Agent’s Hardback) and add $20 to get the CASE OFFICER’S HANDBOOK rather than the AGENT’S HANDBOOK. Add a further $10 to convert the PDF to the CASE OFFICER’S HANDBOOK if you want to, or you’ll get the AGENT’S HANDBOOK instead.

If (like me) you want EVERYTHING, then you can add the PDFs, or dead tree copies (including PDFs) for set amounts onto your pledges. This is what will happen with the GM Screen and IMPOSSIBLE LANDSCAPES when they become available.

Yep, and that was the easy way of explaining it (without going into the various add-ons and PDF only stretch goals they are throwing at people – some free, some not).

Stretch goals continue to be the Achilles heel for Kickstarter publishing campaigns, but hopefully this one won't be hamstrung.

#48 Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad

Master

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:07 PM

I'd really like to support...if only Americans could think about Europe as a market and find a way I don't have to sell my kidney to pay the shipping costs...

Sorry for the sarcasm, but with this kickstarter and Tales of The Carribbean...I'm really sad I can't support both of them.

There must be a way to delegate the print of the original file/manuscript with the original quality...almost in the UK. 

And, from the UK, ship to the rest of Europe.

I'm sure in England, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Northern Europe......there are so many potential backers...

And you're ignoring them.

#49 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:31 PM

The realities of international shipping these days are very harsh. Publishers don't deliberately want to ignore or make markets difficult.

If you've read the Tales of the Caribbean KS thread you'll know that suggestions and some alternative options have been made (or at least explored). There is no easy answer.

It's just an unfortunate fact that overseas postage costs simply end up being prohibitive for many, that also includes going the other way from the UK and Europe to the US.

#50 cpt_machine

cpt_machine

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationDoncaster, UK

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:36 AM

I'm going in at $80 for all the PDFs with the plan of getting the dead tree books I want when my FLGS can get their hands on it. I too as a Brit find shipping to be an issue but it's hardly anyones fault it's just the cost of doing business I guess.

I do like how all the recent updates have been stressing (or is that upselling?) that all the extra missions etc are free past a certain pledge level as I did get cold feet for a while thing i would have to pay more.

This is the bit where I kick myself for selling my Delta Green collection years ago. Time to get them in PDF too.

Edited by cpt_machine, 06 October 2015 - 07:48 AM.

"I have always been my own teacher, and I must confess I am also my favorite pupil"
-Lestat

Captain Machine's UK Gaming Vlog
www.youtube.com/cptmachine

#51 Azimuth

Azimuth

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:37 AM

Realistically, I can't contemplate getting the hardbacks on this kickstarter, as much as I'd like to - the extra upgrades and stretch goal uplifts and shipping-at-a-later-date are just punishing. I've also been supporting Dennis's Patreon, and I think I'm seeing stuff he's done there appear as stretch goals in the kickstarter (hopefully in an expanded form) - so feel I've already been paying for some of this.

Will see how I feel, but probably only looking at getting the PDF versions.

#52 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:56 AM

A recent Cthulhu Breakfast Club also touches on the difficulties of international publication, although on the topic of graphic novels rather than games.

#53 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:06 PM

We talk about Chris's failed Kickstarter for Transreality 2: New Worlds in the September 2015 edition of CBC, (why it didn't make it, how that might be fixed if it were to run again). However even when successful, Kickstarters have a very difficult time with international shipping.

There may be possible solutions for some,  but not for others.

#54 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:44 PM

Ok I'm in. The unspecified and high shipping costs don't make the print books viable for me, as an international backer. But I've just been able to nab a $25 Night at the Opera slot which was freed up, which gets me the basic book PDF and another PDF of my choice. I'm fancying Impossible Landscapes or the Case Officer's Handbook. Good price anyway, for just what I want. I don't want all the PDF stuff enough to plump for the $80 pledge level.

#55 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:52 PM

I've decided to skip this KS. I'm not particularly interested in any of the stretch goals or add-ons or whatever, and $50 + considerable shipping ($40?) seems rather steep for a 160 p. full-color hardcover. I think it'll be a lot cheaper for me to get it through regular retail once it's out and I decide that I do want it, so there's no real advantage for me to backing the KS instead.

I'm with you. I'm interested in a couple of the add-in pdfs but I'm not keen on paying $70+ shipping for a $60 book. So I'll grab a couple of add-ins and wait for retail.

Come read about Dreamhounds of Paris actually being played.

The Armitage Files, now with added Ennie Award.
Cthulhu Britannica: London Box Set, now with Golden Geek runner-up award.

#56 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:18 AM

I've also been supporting Dennis's Patreon, and I think I'm seeing stuff he's done there appear as stretch goals in the kickstarter (hopefully in an expanded form) - so feel I've already been paying for some of this.

Hopefully, this is a sign that most of the stretch goal material is well on the way to being ready. But assuming that many of the Patreon supporters would have backed this Kickstarter, I think your feeling is accurate. You did get to see it first, and hopefully derived reading and/or gaming pleasure from it before the rest of us.
Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#57 Azimuth

Azimuth

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:34 PM

Hopefully, this is a sign that most of the stretch goal material is well on the way to being ready. But assuming that many of the Patreon supporters would have backed this Kickstarter, I think your feeling is accurate. You did get to see it first, and hopefully derived reading and/or gaming pleasure from it before the rest of us.

Oh, indeed - and I'm happy to support him through Patreon and I love the stuff he does; the downside is that some of the stretch goals / add-on rewards they've chosen to offer are just less enticing to Patreon backers; you're essentially cannibalising your own market a bit. Still, the kickstarter seems to be doing well.

#58 clockworkjoe

clockworkjoe

Master

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:07 AM

If you've been on fence about backing Delta Green, now is the time to check it out! We've just added a FREE Quickstart kit with a demo adventure and pregenerated characters: https://www.kickstar..../posts/1376137

I've also recorded an actual play podcast of the new Delta Green rules on RPPR Actual Play: http://actualplay.ro....n-inheritance/

#59 Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad

Master

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:16 PM

If I back only for "The Fall of Delta Green"...published by Pelgrane Press...Pelgrane Pess is based in the Uk...so the shipping cost (from europe to europe) should be more affordable or not?

#60 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:32 PM

If I back only for "The Fall of Delta Green"...published by Pelgrane Press...Pelgrane Pess is based in the Uk...so the shipping cost (from europe to europe) should be more affordable or not?

Arc Dream just confirmed in the comment thread on the Kickstarter today that they are dealing with the distribution of Fall of Delta Green to Kickstarter backers, not Pelgrane Press. As this means it is likely Fall will be distributed from the US to backers, I'd expect international shipping costs to come into play for this book as well as all the other DG physical rewards.

I'm in for some of the books (Case Officers Handbook and the screen), but I'm going mostly PDF for this Kickstarter. I'll be preordering Fall directly from Pelgrane when it is available to order to avoid having to pay extra money for shipping from the US on top of the book costs, since I know Pelgrane have a UK distributor for their webstore.

Edited by xthawx, 11 October 2015 - 01:45 PM.

The Keepers of the Woods for Trail of Cthulhu is available now - download it here.

Those Within for Call of Cthulhu 7e - coming to a convention near you soon...

@freddiefoulds ; Visit my blog: Arcana Obscura

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Delta Green, Fundraiser