WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 29 September 2015 - 03:04 PM

They've finally done it.

https://www.kickstar...le-playing-game

My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#2 Shrike

Shrike

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:20 PM

Curses, I missed out on the operator spots. Those darn Brits got there first it looks like. Of course the Kickstarter went live as I was taking my nephew to school. It's all a conspiracy I tell you!

#3 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:51 PM

Curses, I missed out on the operator spots. Those darn Brits got there first it looks like. Of course the Kickstarter went live as I was taking my nephew to school. It's all a conspiracy I tell you!

From the Comments section on the Kickstarter page:

We may open up some more OPERATOR tiers for sourcebooks once we hit the main goal. Bug Shane or Dennis about it when we get there. :)

My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#4 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:32 PM

I was third in line and filling my form out, but I was too slow and also missed out on an operator spot.

Come read about Dreamhounds of Paris actually being played.

The Armitage Files, now with added Ennie Award.
Cthulhu Britannica: London Box Set, now with Golden Geek runner-up award.

#5 Shrike

Shrike

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:51 AM

I am impressed they've raised this amount so quickly. But it's a long way still to the magical 120K mark.

#6 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMonterey, California

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:28 AM

Poverty strikes again. Maybe I'll pull for the pdfs. But at $100 that's a lot for a single father... even one aware that he will probably buy them down the line.

#7 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:17 AM

I'm tempted but I dread the shipping costs for delivery to Europe. Is there an indication of what the retail price of the book will be once it's out?

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#8 Shrike

Shrike

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:26 AM

Poverty strikes again. Maybe I'll pull for the pdfs. But at $100 that's a lot for a single father... even one aware that he will probably buy them down the line.

It would seem you have an incentive to spend now, because that will potentially get you more stuff as more stretch goals are reached. It seems wise to at least pledge $1 and get all the updates and monitor how things go during the funding period. Of course, if everyone who is sitting on the fence takes the latter course of action, that makes the stretch goals more difficult to reach ...

#9 Azimuth

Azimuth

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:41 AM

Something about the levels for this Kickstarter just feel off - perhaps it's because Delta Green teaches you to trust no-one... (but the cost for hardback plus all PDFs apart from the Trail of Cthulhu one with an extra hardback price increase for stretch goals and no shipping seems both a bit steep and also rather opaque).

Still, right now I don't really feel inclined to throw my money down on this, and will wait and see. Think I'll put some money towards the YSDC collection box instead, given it's the last day of the month and it's looking a bit thin.

#10 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,403 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:56 AM

Think I'll put some money towards the YSDC collection box instead, given it's the last day of the month and it's looking a bit thin.

Just a quick aside to say "thank you". Yoggie's still recovering from the major server upgrades over the summer and it's a big help.

The Delta Green RPG Kickstarter has done very well out of the door. I think that's been helped by being long trailed and the release of pent-up demand. As of typing it's at the $70K (US) mark, but as Shrike says, it's still a fair way to the $120,000 target.

I also noted some comments from backers referring to the new FedEx International Mail Service that some other RPG KS projects are planning to use for included international shipping

#11 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:12 AM

Sorry about that. I saw the e-mail pop into my inbox and leaped at the chance when I had it.

Glad to see that it has funded so quickly. Four or so hours is quite amazing.

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#12 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:13 AM

If people are interested in international shipping costs to the UK, I did a quick price estimate using the USPS calculator linked to from the Kickstarter page. If you're after the Agents Handbook and Fall of Delta Green (as it appears Arc Dream will be shipping this from the States as part of the KS, not Pelgrane from the UK, which seems strange to me), then shipping is looking like $40+ for just first class international, with prices increasing to $80+ for 3-5 day services and flat rate boxes. This is based on the size and weight estimates provided by Arc Dream for the books.

As a result, I've curbed my enthusiastic money throwing back to $100 for all the PDFs (although I might curtail this further, as there don't seem to be many PDFs as yet, plus that $120k goal is a ways off - I'll see how the campaign pans out). I'll happily throw the extra $120 in for the Case Officers Book and FoDG should an EU friendly shipping option appear. If not, I'll just wait until retail, especially for FoDG as I can order it direct from Pelgrane with their UK based distribution...

Arc Dream have mentioned in the comments that they are looking into a better option for international fulfilment, so there is hope yet!

Edited by xthawx, 30 September 2015 - 09:14 AM.

The Keepers of the Woods for Trail of Cthulhu is available now - download it here.

Those Within for Call of Cthulhu 7e - coming to a convention near you soon...

@freddiefoulds ; Visit my blog: Arcana Obscura

#13 Munchezuma

Munchezuma

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationLemont, Pennsylvania

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:34 PM

Something about the levels for this Kickstarter just feel off - perhaps it's because Delta Green teaches you to trust no-one... (but the cost for hardback plus all PDFs apart from the Trail of Cthulhu one with an extra hardback price increase for stretch goals and no shipping seems both a bit steep and also rather opaque).

I'm a bit confused on this as well. The money doesn't seem to add up to the right value for me. I was looking at the $150 for a hardback plus PDFs. So I get a hardback, in full color but no mention of page count, and an as yet undetermined number of PDFs. I think I will drop my pledge to $1 for the time being. I guess I don't see why I shouldn't just wait until my FLGS gets it.

Maybe I am not understanding this KS either. For example, the add-on PDFs - do you add them on to any pledge? Or are they included with the "all PDF pledges?"

#14 littleo

littleo

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:02 PM

You can add any of the add-ons to any pledge if you want additional copies, or your pledge level doesn't include them. The "all PDFpledges" levels include only new PDFs unlocked with this campaign. Right now that is the 2 PDF adventures listed as stretch goals and the new rulebook. I think...

Mike D

#15 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:12 PM

I'm a bit confused on this as well. The money doesn't seem to add up to the right value for me. I was looking at the $150 for a hardback plus PDFs. So I get a hardback, in full color but no mention of page count, and an as yet undetermined number of PDFs. I think I will drop my pledge to $1 for the time being. I guess I don't see why I shouldn't just wait until my FLGS gets it.

I kind of agree here - it is a bit strange. The $100 pledge level is not that appealing right now (although I expect it will be by the end). However, only two PDF stretch goals (3 if you count the Case Officers book when it hits $120k), along with the Agents book isn't seeming like excellent value. In fact, at face value, its about $60. I assume Arc Dream are expecting a lot of content to be unlocked, but it is a little worrying looking at the current stretch goals and not seeing much coming up... 

This said, Kicktraq is currently predicting an end sum of around $1 million, so I'm hopeful about how much content is going to be released over the course of the campaign. However, if it's not feeling like a good reward level, I might also have to drop my pledge level down. Also, in the current situation, physical books are just not feasible with shipping and potential customs charges, which is disappointing.

Mike D is right about the PDF situation as well - the All the PDFs pledge is only for NEW material from this campaign. Previous PDFs have to be added on to your pledge.

The Keepers of the Woods for Trail of Cthulhu is available now - download it here.

Those Within for Call of Cthulhu 7e - coming to a convention near you soon...

@freddiefoulds ; Visit my blog: Arcana Obscura

#16 dennisd

dennisd

Master

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:09 PM

Hey guys, Dennis here. Here's our update from the KS page. It addresses a lot here, so I'm cross-posting.

Funded in 4 hours, 181% funded in a day. Amazing. When we came to Kickstarter, we weren't even certain the Agent's Handbook would fund, and here we are well on our way to the Case Officer's Book. Thank you.

So far, we've unlocked:

• THE AGENT'S HANDBOOK: All you need to play the Delta Green RPG(Rules preview available here).
  • VISCID: A new Delta Green scenario by Dennis Detwiller, wherein the agents find that even magic has a half-life. ADD-ON COST: $5, PDF only.
  • OBSERVER EFFECT: A new Delta Green scenario by Shane Ivey. Most physicists think a new lab's experiment to study the nature of reality won't reveal a thing. Your Delta Green agents are about to learn otherwise. ADD-ON COST: $5, PDF only.

At $120k we unlock:

• THE CASE OFFICER'S HANDBOOK: This big, color hardback will have everything from the Agent's Handbook plus a Game Moderator's view of the setting and ton of new material for running Delta Green campaigns, customizing the setting and the threats, and keeping your players surprised and scared. ADD-ON COST: $70 for the hardback plus PDF, or $30 for just the PDF. (You can change your AGENT'S HANDBOOK pledge to this for an additional $20; this is a separate book from the AGENT'S HANDBOOK and contains everything found in the AGENT'S HANDBOOK).

We're working on something very special to fit in at around the 95k mark, right now. More on that later.

Still, we continue to make adjustments. No plan survives first contact with the enemy, and publishing and Kickstarter has a thousand pitfalls we at Arc Dream are very, very familiar with, and will not make. It's why when you pledge, you can be confident in getting your product.

We get a lot of suggestions that open with "in this other Kickstarter I saw..."; and we're going to stop you right there — in the great scheme of things, our most important mission is to get you quality books. Many other companies chase a growing total to see how high it can go; we are not that company. Many, many (many, many) other Kickstarters end in financial disaster, either through malfeasance, or miscalculation. We've created A LOT of Kickstarters, and we worked hard to make sure we're not hanging ourselves promising something in the tiers that will come back and kill us in the end.

I have heard many people ask for t-shirts and other things that are literally black holes of productivity (someone needs to source them, size them and ship them, and that someone is one of the book creators). We won't be creating a chain of crap side-items that destroy our productivity to make five more dollars per order.  

We've also gotten a lot of great ideas (and have changed our tiers to suit when possible). Keep submitting ideas (even if they might be misinformed ones, we'd rather hear them than not), but I would encourage you to do one thing in particular: 

Keep complaint spam off the Comments section.

If you have a complaint, question, or an idea, you can reach me at dennis.detwiller@me.com Please, drop me a line and let me know what you're thinking and try to keep negative comments to a minimum.

A couple of general notes:

• You can adjust your pledge at any time (if any of that tier are available).
  • Every pledge is refundable at request with no explanation.
  • We're working on figuring something out to ease international shipping (though, if we pull THAT off we might as well start doing that for a living!)

And one last note as to what the Delta Green RPG Kickstarter is about. Many Kickstarters are about raking in as much money as possible through any means possible. The service has transformed from a pre-funding/early read on the public response to a product mechanism, to a lottery ticket.

This is not one of those Kickstarters. It will not be one of those Kickstarters. 

Our goals are:

• Do not chase product at a loss. 
  • Create quality product.
  • Pay our people so their work is stellar. 
  • Get these products to you as fast as is possible.

All money pledged here moves the Delta Green RPG line forward. The higher the total, the faster these books will be made and released. So, if your plan involves waiting on the sidelines to buy the book at retail, I have some rough news: if it's not funded here, it's likely not coming out.

So get in there, pledge what you can. Spread the word. Let's make this happen. Help us create the apocalypse.

DENNIS DETWILLER - Game Designer - Artist - Writer

#17 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:37 PM

So, what page count are we looking at for the Agent's Handbook?

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#18 dennisd

dennisd

Master

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:51 PM

As I've learned from SENSE OF THE SLEIGHT OF HAND MAN (which doubled in size), it's difficult to say. Over 160 at least.

#19 crazy_cat

crazy_cat

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:17 PM

One question - 'If you have a complaint, question, or an idea, you can reach me at dennis.detwiller@me.com Please, drop me a line and let me know what you're thinking and try to keep negative comments to a minimum' - why?

It's crowdfunding - the whole point is the social/crowd thing - the whole intent and purpose is that people can raise issues/ideas/criticisms and share them with the crowd right there where the funding and debate are taking place, and that the creator can respond to the crowd there also.

"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not wish to die"

#20 dennisd

dennisd

Master

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:25 PM

"It's crowdfunding - the whole point is the social/crowd thing - the whole intent and purpose is that people can raise issues/ideas/criticisms and share them with the crowd right there where the funding and debate are taking place, and that the creator can respond to the crowd there also."

What it leads to is misinformation spreading, people complaining about things that are just plain wrong and more. I've been doing it since 2005 (hell, 2003, even). The point of crowdfunding is not a lively debate on a public forum (I'm uncertain where this comes from?) The point is pre-funding a project, or not. Questions are fine, listing something as a "fact" in a complaint when it is not just sucks up time, and pledges. 

Let me illustrate with an example: "International shipping is expensive" is a useless comment to us. It's something we understand and have done, like with x15,000 books for years. We've hit it at every angle and we'll continue to do so. It raises no debate. It offers no solution, all it does is dissuade. In other words, it is useless, and just takes up space. Sending me an email covers your base, as that commenter, and I can respond, and lo and behold, we don't have the International Shipping sucks referendum #112 in the thread. It's like getting on a swimming pool forum and saying "leaves keep falling in my pool". 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Delta Green, Fundraiser