235 replies to this topic

#81 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:48 AM

I have noticed that many of the entries for various campaigns, books, and supplements include links to my reviews.

For those links that have been included, I simply say, "Thank you."

As to the others, whom do I inform of the appropriate links?

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#82 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:29 AM

Hi Pookie - I've included links when I've found them in routine Google searches, but I've probably missed more than I've caught.  Is there a list of your reviews anywhere?

For that matter, I'll be happy to include links to anyone else's reviews as well: I know that I've also seen a couple other familiar names on the search results, but I haven't tried tracking down more than that yet, either... it was always something I'd try to figure out after getting the synopses in place, and I'm nearly done with that so now is as good a time as any to try to find where the reviews are living!

(While I'm thinking of it, Yock's been reading all the common Lovecraft fiction for the last couple months, and posting reviews of each of the stories in a blog.  I think those reviews would make great additions to synopses of Lovecraft's stories, and I don't think that synopses and other information about the stories are consistently documented in the Wiki yet, so perhaps that's something to look into later.)

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#83 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:04 AM

Between Danial, Leonardolad, Meyer, and myself (and probably others that I missed), I believe we've added synopses and other details for over 75 scenarios over the last couple months to all the great work that was already in the Wiki.  That's far more than I ever thought we'd get done - great work, everyone!  :)

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#84 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:28 AM

I've just been having a quick browse through and yes, amazing work everyone!  Great to see those red links fizzling out.  Lots of good Keeper advice to be seen too, really impressive.

If I may offer a couple of suggestions on categories?  I realise these are opening gambits, not intended to be comprehensive scenario descriptions, but I might as well stick my oar in early...

• We might as well stick "campaign scenario" on all the campaigns, because that classification at least is uncontroversial I think.  It also makes it pretty clear to Keepers that it's probably not going to slot into that unexpected Friday night.
  • I personally aim to distinguish the "scenarios referencing DEITY" and "DEITY scenarios" for a couple of reasons.  One is that references can be really nice in an ongoing campaign where you're theming it around a particular GOO, or just aiming to slowly drip-feed Mythos references in, but you maybe don't want an unexpected Gla'aki popping up.  The flipside is you can dig up scenarios with actual GOOs easily if you want that big bang.
  • Keywords are really helpful for finding the right sort of thing, maybe more so than most categories.  You can always tone down the combat, or cut down the Mythos references, or even swap out monsters, but building a physics-themed scenario set in backwoods Canada out of The Haunting is much harder :)  Scatter them about liberally.

I have finally secured home internet, so although I can no longer write wiki articles at work (alas!) I hope to get back into editing shortly.

#85 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:50 PM

Welcome back to the Internet!  :)

I concluded while doing this that adding categories was probably the hardest part of the work. 

Spoiler

I think that, for those who don't have the free time needed to add a complete scenario's synopsis and details to the Wiki and who aren't sure what else they can do to help, I think two things they can do that would help a lot would be:

• Categories:  Once or twice a week, visit an existing page for a scenario someone else added that you are also familiar with, check the categories at the bottom out, compare to the lists of categories found here (link), and see if there's one or two more categories that you can think of to add to the scenario's page, especially if it doesn't have very many already.  One or two more categories should be relatively easy to think of, it doesn't take long to do it, and every little bit helps there!
  • Reviews:  If you've reviewed a scenario before, please check out its page, and see if your review is listed under the "links" section.  If not, it's almost certainly not because the editors were ignoring your review - it's easy to miss great ones while editing these pages.  And check out the pages for scenarios you are familiar with, and see if they are missing links to reviews... if they don't already have one, feel free to write your own review.  Either way, add a link to your review, everyone benefits from more links to good, subjective scenario reviews in addition to the cold facts on the scenario's wiki page!
  • Keeper's Notes:  I think that any keeper who has run enough scenarios has run into at least one where the keeper realized at some point something was wrong and needed to be fixed, or that there was a better way of doing things, or that a clarification needed to be made, or that the scenario gave them some good ideas for sequels or embellishments.  If a scenario like this already has a page, and you have a suggestion that makes it to use, a warning about possible problems in the scenario with work-arounds for them, or some additions or changes that your group enjoyed, add a Keeper's Note or two about it.  (This is, I think, one of my favorite parts of a scenario review or synopsis!)

Edited by yronimoswhateley, 17 October 2015 - 05:59 PM.

#86 Danial

Danial

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:23 AM

Between Danial, Leonardolad, Meyer, and myself (and probably others that I missed), I believe we've added synopses and other details for over 75 scenarios over the last couple months to all the great work that was already in the Wiki.  That's far more than I ever thought we'd get done - great work, everyone!  :)

Has it really been that many? Wow. I'm not sure how many of those I've contributed, but that's still a great result :)

I've still got a lot on my to-do list, but my wife's arm is still broken, so they're just going to have to wait a little longer (unless someone else wants to take them). However, I did manage to do the Lovecraftian Horrors page the other day as it was mostly a copy-and-paste job.

#87 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,419 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:32 AM

Great stuff! Thank you, all, for helping to make the Wiki better for everyone.

#88 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:21 AM

Just added the first scenario "In the Waters of Wyman", published in White Wolf along with details of the magazine.

Later: I've completed a writeup of the third of four Call of Cthulhu scenarios ("Cannibal Express") published in White Wolf Magazine.

Edited by Graham, 10 November 2015 - 02:18 PM.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#89 leonardolad

leonardolad

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSão José dos Campos, Brasil

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:50 PM

Cool, Graham!

Question: I'm editing Wooden Death from Secrets of Kenya, a scenario that features the Mi-Go, and also The Red Flux, M'bwa and the Tree-Men. The later three are closely connected, since M'bwa is a unique servitor of the Red Flux, responsible for capture and transform humans into Tree-Men using a serum secreted by the Red Flux. It's unlikely that we shall see any one of them without the others and there's already a category for Tree-Men of M'bwa scenarios. Do you think we should have categories for Red Flux scenarios and M'bwa scenarios or it would be kinda redundant?

#90 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:28 PM

Cool, Graham!

Question: I'm editing Wooden Death from Secrets of Kenya, a scenario that features the Mi-Go, and also The Red Flux, M'bwa and the Tree-Men. The later three are closely connected, since M'bwa is a unique servitor of the Red Flux, responsible for capture and transform humans into Tree-Men using a serum secreted by the Red Flux. It's unlikely that we shall see any one of them without the others and there's already a category for Tree-Men of M'bwa scenarios. Do you think we should have categories for Red Flux scenarios and M'bwa scenarios or it would be kinda redundant?

I think I may have created the Tree-Men category.  I never really settled on a satisfactory answer for novel Mythos beings, to be honest - it's obvious that a Mi-go Scenarios page was needed, but you don't know whether a new critter will become popular or not.  And an editor doesn't necessarily know whether a scenario's monsters are based on an existing story or even actual mythology, both of which make them rather more likely to reappear.

I'd probably tend to say yes to Red Flux (if it seems plausible that the entity could be used again) but no to M'bwa.  Maybe we should also hack the Tree-Men category into a more generic Plant-Creature one?

#91 leonardolad

leonardolad

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSão José dos Campos, Brasil

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:12 PM

I'd probably tend to say yes to Red Flux (if it seems plausible that the entity could be used again) but no to M'bwa.  Maybe we should also hack the Tree-Men category into a more generic Plant-Creature one?

I agree. If there are another Plant-Creatures out there it's a good idea to have a category for it. Also, if we'll have a category to specifically cover Wandrei's creations, I would say probably should go with the Red Flux.

Edited by leonardolad, 10 November 2015 - 05:18 PM.

#92 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:24 AM

A thank you to the volunteers whipping the Wiki into shape.

Also a request for a navigation menu on the left:

Can we have the category "publishers" added to the left menu for a quick link to get back to the list of Publishers

Similarly the category "Supplements" added to the left menu to get to the list of supplements.

Further down the road -> each Publisher entry should have its list of supplements added after the history of the publisher, so you can go to a publisher page, read about the publisher and then look at its list of material all on one page.

Do you play Trail of Cthulhu ? You may find these downloads useful...

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu PDF - the rulebook as slim as it can go.

The Enchiridion of Elucidation PDF - a guidebook for both players and Keepers, with advice on playing the game.

#93 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:38 AM

Added a writeup of Polyhedron, Issue 54, the magazine that contained what I think is the only Call of Cthulhu scenario published by TSR.

Planning to clear up my backlog of Magazines and magazine published scenarios over the next few weeks.

Edited by Graham, 12 November 2015 - 01:39 AM.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#94 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:03 AM

I was checking the "forthcoming" page recently and noticed that the Super Genius Games site is dead. I assume the company is gone as well?

Also would it make sense to split the forthcoming and cancelled page into two separate pages, one for each category?
My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#95 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:21 AM

I was checking the "forthcoming" page recently and noticed that the Super Genius Games site is dead. I assume the company is gone as well?

Also would it make sense to split the forthcoming and cancelled page into two separate pages, one for each category?

I think it would, so seconded.

#96 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:53 AM

I think it would, so seconded.

While it does sound like a good idea, I do wonder how easy it would be to definititively KNOW whether a previously announced title has been cancelled. What I have usually seen happen is ... well ... nothing, things just sort of drift off without any word of whether people are still working on them or not. At what point would you call something like that "cancelled"?

Dean (from Adelaide)

FREE high-quality Call of Cthulhu scenarios in PDF: cthulhureborn.wordpress.com

#97 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:34 AM

At what point would you call something like that "cancelled?

We could have "forthcoming" include everything not definitely cancelled but perhaps just label them as "indefinitely delayed" or "likely abandoned"... At least until some clever philosopher (for example, you Dean) resurrects them from their Essential Saltes.
My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)

#98 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:51 AM

Well, it begs the question of whether or not this particular wiki wants you to do original research.

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#99 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:44 AM

Well, it begs the question of whether or not this particular wiki wants you to do original research.

When I first made up the list of 'forthcoming' products I emailed all the CoC publishers I knew of, so research is not a foreign concept to me.

#100 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:05 PM

I finally managed to get round to actually adding another article, and will be working slowly through Terrors from Beyond (I know there was some kind of list going).  I always intended to review it, but I don't think I'm going to have the time to do that for a while yet.  Alas, my new job requires me to actually work all the time.  What's that about?