235 replies to this topic

#21 Danial

Danial

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:51 AM

I'd be happy to start with the incomplete scenarios in "Mansions of Madness".

That'd be great. I had it on my list, but it would be a while before I ever got to it :)

#22 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:48 AM

How much of a scenario synopsis are we looking for?

I've been looking over a few of the existing scenario synopses to try to get a feel for what's normal, and they vary from barely a complete sentence, to dozens of detailed paragraphs that look like the editor might have transcribed every single detail of the plot (if they didn't simply copy-and-paste the text from the adventure!)

Unless there's a specific standard that's wanted, and with synopsis defined primarily as "a brief summary or general survey of something", I'm inclined to aim toward something in between, erring on the side of brief when appropriate:  for most scenarios I've seen, that would seem to be one to three sentences summarizing the plot and setting in broad outlines, along with an optional sentence or two drawing attention to anything special that seems like it might require extra care and attention?

I agree that the 'detailed synopses' should be succinct, it's why I've always balked at writing them, I've never been quite sure just what to include or how far I should go with the spoilers.

I'm willing to continue my push to get the details for the Magazine scenarios, where magazines have been re-issued as PDFS through RPGNow and DriveThruRPG, I'll link to the purchasing page.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#23 Danial

Danial

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:45 AM

This probably isn't the place to discuss it, but I'm quite surprised that such popular campaigns as Beyond the Mountains of Madness and Horror on the Orient Express don't have completed scenarios. I don't own either, but if I did I'd surely do them first.

#24 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:02 AM

This probably isn't the place to discuss it, but I'm quite surprised that such popular campaigns as Beyond the Mountains of Madness and Horror on the Orient Express don't have completed scenarios. I don't own either, but if I did I'd surely do them first.

Maybe it's the complexity that puts people off?  There's so much going on that it's probably harder to be confident that you're covering everything.  Plus, things like the non-spoiler summary are going to get quite difficult.

I imagine there's also a psychological aspect from the sheer size of the books.  Even if you're reading one chapter at a time, you need a good grasp of the overall campaign, so you're committing a fair chunk of time and energy compared to one-off scenarios.

#25 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:26 PM

I'll confess that I was also surprised at which scenarios didn't get complete (or even incomplete) entries - a lot of common and popular scenarios that have been around for decades are red links. 

I suppose it is as Shimmin Beg says:  the complexity of longer campaigns are daunting.  I guess that with the more common and popular scenarios, they may just be so common and popular, it's easy to assume that everyone else has taken care of them already and there's nothing new to add.

For those who've been on the side-lines, unsure where to get started:  It looks like looking over some of the existing scenario articles and checking them for accuracy is an easy place to start.  In many cases, they're mostly filled out already, but a review of the existing pages won't hurt.  Most of the work is already done by previous contributers and editors, but there might be a few things that escaped their attention that you can help clarify.  The occasional typo, adding links for monsters, tomes, etc., and adding categories - I believe Shimmin went through the scenarios at some point and added at least a few appropriate categories to them all, which was an incredible achievement by itself, but it had to have been a lot of work done in a short amount of time, there's surely a number of those scenarios that Shimmin never got to see first-hand, and it would be easy to miss a good category here and there, so you may find the occasional Dreamlands or Pulp scenario that haven't been added to those categories, for example.  Typo corrections, fact-checking, and categorization are a quick and easy way for beginners to get started, build experience, and help out with things that might otherwise get overlooked :)

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#26 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:57 PM

I agree that it is hard to know where to start. Is there some way to organize an approach to this so we're not duplicating efforts or working at cross purposes?

Edited by AdamAlexander, 04 September 2015 - 07:58 PM.

#27 Hazi

Hazi

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationEspoo, Finland

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:30 PM

I could also contribute, I have in my library a bunch of older and rarer books, which I would gladly wikify as required. I'll pop Paul a message.

I agree that it is hard to know where to start. Is there some way to organize an approach to this so we're not duplicating efforts or working at cross purposes?

Maybe a private/non-public wiki page with a listing of scenarios, where all editors could mark down the scenarios they plan to work on?

Misspellers of the world, unit!

#28 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:42 PM

If you're new to Wiki editing, and even if you're an experienced Wiki editor, these pages are an excellent reference:

For Scenario page editing:

• List of scenarios
    • not necessarily a complete list of every scenario ever made, but it's a good start
    • red links indicate scenario pages that don't exist yet, and should probably be added
    • blue links indicate scenario pages that do exist; most are probably fine as-is, but a few are incomplete or inaccurate and could use some help
  • Scenario page template and style guide
    • scroll to bottom of page to find the template and style guide
    • the template takes a lot of the guesswork out of writing a page from scratch!
  • List of Scenario Categories
    • click any category link to view its sub-categories
    • A category link would be added to the bottom of the page, and the category name should be placed in double-brackets after the word Category and a "colon" punctuation symbol, to look something like:
    • [[Category:CoC:Pulp scenarios]]

Hopefully that will help collect some useful references in one place.  Feel free to ask any specific questions you have here :)

I could also contribute, I have in my library a bunch of older and rarer books, which I would gladly wikify as required. I'll pop Paul a message.

Maybe a private/non-public wiki page with a listing of scenarios, where all editors could mark down the scenarios they plan to work on?

I think this sounds like a fair idea, and would beat having claims staked randomly through this thread.  I don't know about how to make a private/non-public wiki page or if it's possible, but I think that even a public page would help a lot.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#29 Danial

Danial

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:31 PM

I don't think there's any need to "stake a claim". I have a list of the pages I want to do on my user page, but if someone gets to any before me, I'll just take them off. I've already had to do it for Dreamlands and Mansions of Madness, and I'm fine with that.

As for where to start, I've been creating scenario pages with all the details except for "summary" and "synopsis" just so the page exists, and then when I get the chance, I go back in and complete them. I figure a page was more important than having a complete page. In just 2 nights I've completed Before the Fall and Escape from Innsmouth. I'll probably go back in and finish off their synopses tonight before tackling a new supplement.

Edited by Danial, 04 September 2015 - 11:36 PM.

#30 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:18 AM

I added "summary", "synopsis", and a few details to "Lemon Sails", and I've similarly been beefing up the "Halloween Horror 2" scenarios - these all had existing pages, but generally had little or no information.  I'd written Keeper Notes for "Halloween Horror 2" a couple weeks ago, so those have been pretty easy to complete.

Unless someone else would rather work any of the Halloween monographs, I figured I'd just keep filling those out, with perhaps an occasional diversion from the scenarios in the Dreamlands hardback.

So far, I think it's probably pretty easy to figure out who is working on what, and there doesn't seem to be too many things that more than one person wants to work on.  Things might get complicated later on if more people participate, but I'm in no hurry to make a checklist or anything like that for now.

#31 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:31 AM

One thing editors should watch out for are existing duplicates, one that I stumbled across (& I've let Paul know about.) is this

Pursuit to Kadath (scenario)

Pursuit to Kadath (Scenario)

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#32 Danial

Danial

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:31 PM

One thing editors should watch out for are existing duplicates, one that I stumbled across (& I've let Paul know about.) is this

Pursuit to Kadath (scenario)

Pursuit to Kadath (Scenario)

Funny that they're not even the same. Even the page-counts aren't equal.

#33 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 06:22 PM

Oh, good luck on that one, Graham!  Looks like two different people entered it two different times in two different ways; they seem to be the same, but as Danial points out, the page-counts are different (52 vs. 56 pages - I'm guessing one reviewer counted the cover pages and the other didn't?)

I've finished filling out the existing "Halloween Horrors 2" scenario pages, and in the process, I've discovered that one of the scenarios had a few pages of content edited out of it!  I've obtained a copy of the missing content, and I've contacted the scenario's author to see if it's OK to include details from it and links to it in the Wiki (I take it that there's possibly some delicate copyright thing involved, and want to be sure that including it won't step on anyone's toes).

Taking Danial's suggestion from page 1, for now I'll be keeping track of my "to do" list (and updates on what I'm doing and have already done) in my Wiki profile page here:  (Ywhateley)

#34 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:14 PM

I've just added a starter page for Alan Moore's current Providence comic series, and will fill it out over the coming months with more details of each issue, including which Lovecraft stories they are inspired by.

To add that I had to add a new Comics sub-category of Media. Hope that is ok :)

It would be good to add more Lovecraft-inspired comics into that new section.

Edited by yockenthwaite, 05 September 2015 - 10:19 PM.

#35 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:42 AM

For Scenario page editing:
  • List of scenarios
    • not necessarily a complete list of every scenario ever made, but it's a good start
    • red links indicate scenario pages that don't exist yet, and should probably be added
    • blue links indicate scenario pages that do exist; most are probably fine as-is, but a few are incomplete or inaccurate and could use some help

Just sticking my head into this (excellent) thread to chime in one piece of into ... the list of scenarios that yronimoswhateley has linked to above is *supposed* to be a complete list of all English-language CoC scenarios that have ever been professionally published. It's been compiled through a fairly painstaking scan over all books published by Chaosium and its licensees and all gaming mags which are known to have ever published material for the game.

Having said that ... it is certainly possible that things are missing. Also, the list does not even attempt to cover semi-professionally or privately published scenarios (of which there have been several).

It will certainly be great to get some of the pages for these scenarios created ... if I had some more free time I would definitely be rolling up my sleeves to help out!

Dean (from Adelaide)

FREE high-quality Call of Cthulhu scenarios in PDF: cthulhureborn.wordpress.com

#36 leonardolad

leonardolad

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSão José dos Campos, Brasil

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:38 AM

Hey guys,

I just finished the first item in my to-do list. Since this is my first "work" as a wiki editor, and also I'm not an english native-speaker, I'll let the link here for your appreciation. If you think I'm in the right path, I'll just keep going, but suggestions will be appreciated as well  :)

http://www.yog-sotho...p/The_Half_Moon

#37 Danial

Danial

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:45 PM

Hey guys,

I just finished the first item in my to-do list. Since this is my first "work" as a wiki editor, and also I'm not an english native-speaker, I'll let the link here for your appreciation. If you think I'm in the right path, I'll just keep going, but suggestions will be appreciated as well  :)

http://www.yog-sotho...p/The_Half_Moon

Looks good to me. Keep it up.

#38 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:14 PM

That looks good to me, clear synopses and a good set of categories. 

From what I remember (I heard a partial playthrough), I think we can probably add
CoC:Deformed human scenarios
CoC:Scientific scenarios
CoC:Transformation scenarios
and appropriate Place and Venue categories.  Does that sound about right?  I'll leave it to somebody who owns the scenario to check.

We could perhaps also link that playthrough (https://archive.org/...fNyarlathotep)?  I can't immediately find a substantial review, but there may well be one.

(I just happen to already know some stuff about this particular scenario and know about this Actual Play and be the bloke who created the categories in the first place and is aware of what exists, so please don't feel discouraged that I have some more to suggest!  It's a very creditable start)

#39 leonardolad

leonardolad

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSão José dos Campos, Brasil

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:12 PM

Looks good to me. Keep it up.

That looks good to me, clear synopses and a good set of categories. 

Cool! I'll keep it up then.

From what I remember (I heard a partial playthrough), I think we can probably add

CoC:Deformed human scenarios
CoC:Scientific scenarios
CoC:Transformation scenarios
and appropriate Place and Venue categories.  Does that sound about right?  I'll leave it to somebody who owns the scenario to check.

We could perhaps also link that playthrough (https://archive.org/...fNyarlathotep)?  I can't immediately find a substantial review, but there may well be one.

(I just happen to already know some stuff about this particular scenario and know about this Actual Play and be the bloke who created the categories in the first place and is aware of what exists, so please don't feel discouraged that I have some more to suggest!  It's a very creditable start)

Deformed humans! I was looking for mutant-related categories and couldn't find any! I'll add your suggestions on the categories and also the playthrough.

And don't worry about the suggestions. That's why I posted it here! The way I see it, it's a group effort.

#40 Meyer

Meyer

Master

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:48 AM

Hey, Folks...

I've gotten started on the Mansions of Madness scenarios with the first two: "Mr. Corbitt" and "The Plantation".

http://www.yog-sotho...ss_(Supplement)

If anyone has time to take a quick look and offer suggestions, I'm all ears.