235 replies to this topic

#221 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:22 AM

You can always build those Red Link category pages yourself, if you have the interest and inspiration for doing so.  I don't recall whether there's a template for them or not - if we don't already have a template, I might be interested in making one.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#222 JS113

JS113

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:39 AM

I'm a little confused by some categories in the wiki, the difference between Scenarios and Supplements.

For example, For the Love Of...(Supplement) is put into the http://www.yog-sotho...p/CoC:Scenarios list, but it's just a Scenario. Shouldn't it just be listed in the Scenario Title column and the In Book(s) column say something like "N/A" or just relist the link from the Scenario Title column?

The way it is now, it creates a deadlink for the scenario and what seems to me to be a mislabled (Supplement) entry, and when I tried to link it over into the http://www.yog-sotho...y:CoC:Scenarios page you get the weird listing of a (Supplement) unless we want to duplicate everything to make a second page for it as a Scenario.

Edited by JS113, 06 September 2017 - 01:42 AM.

#223 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:37 AM

I've just undid your addition and the mistaken listing on the main scenario listing. Privately published single scenario supplements are tricky to handle, though it is best to treat them in the same way as gaming magazines. I will be doing a write-up of the scenario proper when time permits.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#224 JS113

JS113

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:54 AM

Hmmm okay. They had a license from Chaosium though, doesn't that move it into Professionally published?

#225 leonardolad

leonardolad

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSão José dos Campos, Brasil

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:17 PM

Shouldn't we treat For the Love Of... the same way did with The Star on the Shore?

#226 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:52 AM

Just started clearing up some of the lacune from the Magazine published scenarios I had done writups for. There is one I would like someone to check. The Challenge 48 scenario "The Bayou Ritual" is set in a small Louisiana town for which I've just done a write up of. However I am not all that familiar with the state of Louisiana and it is possible that like the version of Monhegan Island in "The Horrible Secret of Monhegan Island" you have a real name being used fictitiously so if someone can double check that I would be very happy.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#227 JS113

JS113

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:26 PM

That area looks like all swamps, canals, and bayous. The biggest settlement on google maps I saw was 3 houses across from each other on a river!

Bayou Perdu just means "lost river" so I suspect it is made up. There is a Bayou Parc Perdu further west outside the town where my uncle lives!

#228 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:32 AM

Thanks for the check. As I said sometimes writers use fictional versions of real places.

Later:Done a little work updating the page for the "Bermuda Triangle" supplement, I've added a couple of reviews I found and did a quick write up of the scenario included in the supplement. And for anyone at Chaosium who is reading, this is one supplement that could do with an update since there have been some changes in the region since 1998. The other thing needed would be some more scenarios set in the region in the modern age, particularly ones making use of Ashton, the Arkham of the Caribbean...

Later still:I have created a category for scenarios set in New Orleans and updated the article for "Tell Me, Have You Seen the Yellow Sign?" to add that category and several others that I felt appropriate. I've also hid the detailed synopsis behind spoiler tags.

Still later:I have found a page on the wiki entitled User:Meyer which has identical contents to the page for the scenario "The Old Damned House", I think it needs to be deleted. Also I've started going through the scenarios and adding Spoiler templates where the detailed Synopsis has been written out.

Edited by Graham, 09 September 2017 - 10:07 AM.

#229 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:27 AM

I've added the 43rd issue of Challenge Magazine to the Wiki, it featured an article by Marcus L. Rowland discussing combining Call of Cthulhu with Space:1899, covered conversions of characters/creatures and presented a detailed scenario outline which I have covered in a separate article.

Later: I am continuing to fill in the red links on the magazine page, with material from the magazine issues I have, all of the Adventure Unlimited issues I have copies of now have details for the scenarios published in them.

Edited by Graham, 14 September 2017 - 02:35 AM.

#230 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:41 AM

Spent a bit of time trying to sort out the English scenarios by the county they are set in. Obviously I do not have all the scenarios, but it is getting there. Another magazine scenario "The MoonLens" (aka The MoonLens Discover'd") has been added, it and all the scenarios from Ramsay Cambpell's Goatswood are all now under Category:CoC:Scenarios set in Gloucestershire (Link)

#231 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:42 PM

Edit required in list of scenarios: The Yorkshire Horror is named as appearing in Cthulhu By Gaslight but it should be edited to say "Cthulhu By Gaslight 1st and 2nd Edition only" ( it was changed to a different scenario for 3rd Edition ).

Edited by Tony Williams, 15 September 2017 - 01:42 PM.

Do you play Trail of Cthulhu ? You may find these downloads useful...

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu PDF - the rulebook as slim as it can go.

The Enchiridion of Elucidation PDF - a guidebook for both players and Keepers, with advice on playing the game.

#232 leonardolad

leonardolad

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSão José dos Campos, Brasil

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:51 PM

Done :)

#233 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:48 AM

I have previously mentioned this, but the Wiki Page User:Meyer (Link) and The Old Damned House (Link) are identical and I think the User page needs to be deleted.

Later: I have done writeups for two of the fictional(?) settlements included in the Terry White scenarios "The Art of Madness" and "Shadows from the Past". I have done admittedly limited research confirming that settlements of those names exist, but in different locations, the real Conanby is in Yorkshire (Not Norfolk) and the real Bexton is in Cheshire (Not Northumberlandshire). But I would like someone more familiar with the UK to double check this.

Later Still: I've updated the page for the 65th issue of Challenge Magazine (Link) after discovering that Michael LaBossiere had actually converted the stats for two of the three scenarios he had written for a Dark Conspiracy article entitled "Dark Halloween", which I had flagged as being of interest to Keepers, so that it can be run with Call of Cthulhu. The page now links to the converted scenarios "Down to New England Town" & "The Scarecrow" at YSDC.

Does anyone know if the third scenario "The Bet" was converted to CoC by Michael? If this is the case I will do a writeup of the original Dark Conspiracy article and link the scenario conversions to that article. Planned coverage will be the changes made between the original scenario as published in Challenge (Which I recommend getting as the maps are better) and the conversions available on YSDC

Still Later: I've made the same update for the 61st issue of Challenge Magazine (Link) after finding that Michael LaBossiere another Dark Conspiracy scenario (Out of the Depths) he had published in that magazine and later provided a conversion to CoC.

Edited by Graham, 17 September 2017 - 10:59 AM.

#234 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:56 PM

Started work on the last of the old magazines I managed to get my hands on last year. The first of the two Cyberpunk 2020/CoC scenarios published in Vol. 2 No. 2 of Interface Magazine now has a writeup. The second should follow in a few days.

#235 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:58 PM

Just created a preliminary page for the scenario "Shadow over Stockton", which to my surprise I found in a copy of an Oregon published fanzine, which predates it's appearance in Vortext 1 (Which I do not have.) If anyone has a copy of the that magazine, feel free to add it and a scan of the cover to the wiki.

#236 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:25 AM

I've now added an article/cover image for the first issue of The Book of Dark Wisdom after relocating my copy. Now I can get back to work on both it and the second issue.