#201 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

Great idea, Leo!

If it helps (and it took me a while to figure it out, I'm still new at this), links to categories start with a : , as in:

[[:Category:CoC:Gnoph-Keh_scenarios]]

or, alternatively, for a cleaner-looking link,

[[:Category:CoC:Gnoph-Keh_scenarios|Gnophkeh Scenarios]]

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#202 JMG

JMG

Master

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:38 AM

Danial, Yronimos, and Leo, many thanks. I'll give both those a try and see if I can at least get the articles I've revised stocked with scenarios.

(Later, cackling wildly, having shed a few dozen sanity points...)

Sweet. Many thanks again; that worked very nicely, and I've got the relevant scenarios linked to the Hounds of Tindalos, the Moon-Beasts, the Men of Leng, and the Gnoph-Keh. I'll get the rest of the articles I've edited as time permits, and then proceed to world domination or something like that. ;-)

Edited by JMG, 27 May 2017 - 04:03 AM.

#203 leonardolad

leonardolad

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSão José dos Campos, Brasil

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:52 AM

Hey, no problem! :)

I saw that you listed the scenarios one by one in References. That's one way to do it, but take into account that scenarios are being created constantly. Also, only a small part of the already existing scenarios have pages so, as scenario pages are being created, your References will become lagged. You would need to periodically check if new Gnoph-Keh scenarios, for example, were created.

#204 JMG

JMG

Master

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:06 AM

Leo, fair enough. I want to include direct links to actual pages when those exist, but a link to the category's also an option. And of course anybody can edit!

It may be a bit before I have the chance to do much more -- my spouse and I are packing to relocate to HPL's old stomping grounds in Rhode Island, and getting all the shoggoths into shipping crates is taking a lot of time. ;-)

#205 leonardolad

leonardolad

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:07 PM

Of course! It will be a question of personal taste, after all. All the work is really appreciated :)

Don't worry if you don't have the time right now. I used to edit a lot more, at least 1 scenario a week or so. Now my 3-years-old daughter has turned into a small Hound of Tindalos. One that will find me even in the darkest corners of our house, hungry for Lego towers and bicycle rides. There's no escape.

#206 Cthothcraft

Cthothcraft

Neophyte

• 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

I was hoping to possibly create pages on the wiki for any characters from non-Lovecraft created Cthulhu Mythos media like from the video games and RPGs, ie Jack Walters from Dark Corners of the Earth. I was wondering if this would be considered permissible?

In addition, an additional sub-category could be included to identify characters and locations from these expanded works ie "Category:Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth characters" to help denote where these characters originate from.

#207 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:08 PM

If I'd thought of it, I would have totally have done that without thinking twice about it, it seems totally appropriate to me.  I'm not necessarily the best judge of that, though.

Does anyone else have any objections to pages for "Mythos"-related video game characters?

As for the sub-category, maybe a more general video game character category might work better, since I don't expect there to be too many such characters out there?  e.g.,

• "Category:Video Games" for video game titles and descriptions, etc.
  • "Category:Video Games:Characters" for video game characters
  • "Category:Video Games:Settings" for video game locations and settings (Anchorhead (Maine), Silent Hill (Maine), UAC Mars City, whatever...)
  • "Category:Video Games:???" (what else might be useful to note?  monster Races?  Tomes and Artifacts?)

At least, that's what I might have done, based on the way some of the other pages (like the scenario pages) seem to be organized.  I'm not picky, and I still consider myself new to this, so I'm sure your proposal would work more or less the same, or one of the Great Old Ones who've been doing this longer than I have might have a better idea.

Edited by yronimoswhateley, 09 June 2017 - 01:09 PM.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#208 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:02 PM

A category for films that we might need to add is "Film: Jungle", I've been going through a few of the 'Jungle Adventure' films that were popular as B-movies in the 1930s & 40s and they are good sources for ideas/npcs for pulp scenarios.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#209 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:22 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me, Graham.  The categorization system I started with was pretty skimpy, but gets a little better all the time, and a Jungle Films category would be a great addition.  (One of the newer film categories, for "Film:Weird World War", recently came in handy for suggesting a few scenario ideas for a Cthulhu/Star Wars crossover, of all things!)

#210 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:44 AM

Thanks. You may also want to have a quick look at the last set of PMs I sent you, one of the items I have located is a case of interesting idea, very bad execution.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#211 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:03 AM

I've just added the basic details (No article as yet) for the free scenario (Site Registration Required) "For The Love Of..." by Jon Hook released by Miskatonic University Press. Once I've read it though a couple of times I'll add the article.

Later: Something that might be useful is additional maps in the style of the one included on the Foxfield page for the smaller settlements of Lovecraft County (Where such maps are provided in scenarios of course.)

Settlements with published maps that I know of, are (With the scenario name following):

Brammelville (The Horror on Old Hill)

Dean's Corners (Watcher in the Valley)

Dunlow (The Dig)

Falcon Point (Bless the Beasts and Children)

Martins Beach (Dust to Dust)

Edited by Graham, 28 August 2017 - 07:14 AM.

#212 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:22 PM

Blackwater Creek Blackwater Creek
Foxfield Proof of Life; expanded map in The Crystal Cave
My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#213 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for listing those two, YWatley has created a hand drawn Foxfield map which is linked to the page on that town.

One other map is the one created for the Lovecraft County version of Partridgeville in the Challenge Magazine Issue 46 scenario The Horror out of Partridgeville.

I've also linked to the download pages at Yog-Sothoth.com for the scenarios, The Loch Carrig Monster, Shadows from the Past, Art of Madness, Sprits over Arkham & The Horror on Haldon Hill. I have done the same thing for the scenario that the MUP made available, For The Love Of...

#214 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

Thank you.  I had some vague plans for sketching out some maps for some of the smaller towns, like Ross' Corners and such, as well as maps for some Stephen King Country locations (Collinsport, Derry, Jerusalem's Lot, Castle Rock, etc.), but they've all been on a back burner for a while now.

That's in small part because I don't want to create a new version of a map that will contradict an existing one, and I had no idea where existing maps might be - this list of maps is quite welcome!  (And if there's anyone out there who enjoys cartography who doesn't mind creating a series of maps for use in the Wiki, feel free to do so - I'd enjoy doing these maps eventually, but I have a tendency toward trying to do too much at once!)

#215 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

I have two of the maps uploaded to the Wiki, I will send the links via PM.

#216 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:35 AM

This is an open request. One thing the wiki needs are Keeper notes especially for the more obscure scenarios (For example the four scenarios written by Terry White.) and the magazine scenarios, this is becoming important as older gaming magazines become available again in PDF form.

#217 JS113

JS113

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:35 PM

I just added all the Protodimension magazines that had CoC in them, haven't done the individual scenarios yet, I'll try to read them and do next.

Is there any sort of listing for Free CoC adventures such as these? I think that would be helpful.

Also, the Eras in Scenarios don't link anywhere, can we do a page for that? I think it would be great to be able to search for a scenario for a particular type of game you are running, I see lots of posts about that. Also, what about a list of Scenarios by monster and/or GOO? This would be helpful too, but I worry it would spoil it since many scenarios have a secret bad guy that you must uncover. Maybe just a "Keepers only" warning on that page?

#218 leonardolad

leonardolad

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:16 PM

Also, the Eras in Scenarios don't link anywhere, can we do a page for that? I think it would be great to be able to search for a scenario for a particular type of game you are running, I see lots of posts about that. Also, what about a list of Scenarios by monster and/or GOO? This would be helpful too, but I worry it would spoil it since many scenarios have a secret bad guy that you must uncover. Maybe just a "Keepers only" warning on that page?

This kind of list already exists in Categories. Look here: http://www.yog-sotho...y:CoC:Scenarios :)

#219 JS113

JS113

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:01 AM

ah ha! I think I had seen those and then forgotten.

Should the Era column on the main Scenarios page link to those lists then?

#220 leonardolad

leonardolad

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:56 AM

Right now, the link to those lists is at the bottom of each individual scenario page, in the Categories session. You use, for example, [[CoC:1920s scenarios]] to list the scenario in that era. The same for other eras, creatures, deities, hooks, etc, etc. The limitation is that only scenarios that have pages will be listed.