#181 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:21 PM

The wiki now has a "cleanup" template.

To use, simply add the following line of code to the beginning of the page that requires revision, and replace "REASON" and "DATE" with the reason the article should be revised, and the date the cleanup was logged so reviewers can get some idea of how long a page has needed a little TLC (Tender Loving Cultist) to help improve its quality:

{{Cleanup|reason=REASON|date=DATE}}

There's only a couple pages tagged for cleanup right now, but we should all probably tag incomplete, confusing, inaccurate, substandard, or weird pages with this line if we run across any.

Pages that have this line added to them will be automatically listed in the "Wiki Cleanup" category (link); if you're looking for a way to help, but aren't sure what to help with, and don't mind working on some "fixer-uppers", this category should be a great place to get started.

Up until now, I've just been editing these sorts of pages myself when I can, but sometimes a page is just beyond me (it's outside my sphere of interest/knowledge), and in those cases I've been losing track of them - hopefully, this will help collect these pages someplace where other editors can find and rehabilitate them.

Hopefully this will be a welcome addition to the YSDC wiki - if so, have fun! :)

Edited by yronimoswhateley, 19 February 2017 - 09:22 PM.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#182 JMG

JMG

Master

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:54 PM

Hi all -- I've been contributing to the Wiki for about a week now, focusing on the literature (which I know fairly well) rather than the gaming end of things (I've played CoC, but it's been quite a while), and mostly filling in details of civilizations, artifacts, etc. That involved new pages for Lomar, Poseidonis, the Tablets of Ubbo Sathla, Crystal of Zon Mezzamalech, and Mhu Thulan, as well as assorted edits on related pages. I'd be grateful if those of you with more Wiki experience could glance over these and let me know (a) if I've made any howlers and (b) if there are things that belong on these pages that I'm leaving out. Many thanks!

#183 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:17 AM

I glanced over a few of your new entries out of curiosity a couple nights ago, and I for one think you're doing great, JMG!  The work is much appreciated!

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#184 JMG

JMG

Master

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:33 AM

Yronimos, thank you! I wanted to pay something back for the considerable amount of research I did via the wiki at certain points in writing my current fiction project, and since my head and my bookshelf are both packed with Lovecraft, Klarkash-Ton et al. at the moment, filling in some blanks seemed like a good place to start.

If there's anything out of the Weird Tales-era literature that anybody particularly wants to see put in, btw, let me know.

#185 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:40 PM

I'd say just keep doing what you're doing.  If you run out of ideas, feel free to check out the Wiki Cleanup category and see if there's anything in there that catches your attention as something you'd like to expand on:  the category currently contains a lot of monster entries that don't have very much more than the barest reference to the story they originated in.

#186 JMG

JMG

Master

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:55 PM

Yronimos, fair enough. A lot of those monsters are from stories postdating the original Weird Tales era, and that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge -- my fiction project, The Weird of Hali, is based entirely on the pre-August Derleth Mythos writers -- but the critters from Lovecraft, Smith, Howard, and their friends, yeah, those I can certainly do.

Here, shoggoth, shoggoth, shoggoth... ;-)

#187 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:32 PM

Knocked together two very short articles, stubs really, of Keeper Advice--how to handle fights and plotting:

I am neither the best nor the worst keeper and so am only mediocre-ly qualified to dispense advice, but someone has to get the ball rolling

http://www.yog-sotho...g_out_your_plot

http://www.yog-sotho...ing_with_fights

#188 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

I didn't even know the Keeper Advice category existed, Wombat - what a brilliant idea!  I think your articles look great, and I'm sure you've got the right idea with getting that ball rolling.

JMG, I've also just remembered that the Wiki's selection of articles on fiction by Lovecraft, Howard, Smith, and the others is very incomplete, varies wildly in format without much evidence of a template in use, and inconsistent in its categorization and naming convention.  The following three categories seem like a place to start, if you're interested in trying to standardize, recategorize, and add to the list of story pages:

A style guide can be found here (I'm sure nobody will mind any refinements you might think need to be made to the style guide):

I started to cook up an index of Lovecraft's stories last year when I started to take on the project, but at my current rate of progress on other things, I doubt I'll get anywhere with it for the next year or so, feel free to make use of it and modify it in any way you like if you choose to do work on the stories and this index helps:

Spoiler

A complete job of cataloguing the stories and poetry would be a monster of a project, but I think that even getting an index, standardized outline, and basic description of the stories or poem into place would be a fantastic place to, as Wombat said, get that ball rolling!

Edited by yronimoswhateley, 04 May 2017 - 01:39 PM.

#189 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:20 PM

Knocked together two very short articles, stubs really, of Keeper Advice--how to handle fights and plotting:

I am neither the best nor the worst keeper and so am only mediocre-ly qualified to dispense advice, but someone has to get the ball rolling

http://www.yog-sotho...g_out_your_plot

http://www.yog-sotho...ing_with_fights

Good Job.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#190 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:33 PM

Good Job.

Many thanks--It was just a couple of paragraphs I dashed off, though, and others more suited can certainly expand on it.

#191 JMG

JMG

Master

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:55 AM

JMG, I've also just remembered that the Wiki's selection of articles on fiction by Lovecraft, Howard, Smith, and the others is very incomplete, varies wildly in format without much evidence of a template in use, and inconsistent in its categorization and naming convention. 

Fair enough -- that's a huge project, but between the collections online at The HP Lovecraft Archive and The Eldritch Dark, and the groaning bookshelf next to my desk, it ought to be doable a bit at a time. Eventually it might be cool to have each story cited in the Wiki linked to an online copy: "Okay, I want a bunch of voormis to come out of the uppermost cave on Mount Voormithadreth and menace the investigators -- let's see what Smith has to say about voormis." Click!

All in good time, though.

#192 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:16 PM

Eventually it might be cool to have each story cited in the Wiki linked to an online copy: "Okay, I want a bunch of voormis to come out of the uppermost cave on Mount Voormithadreth and menace the investigators -- let's see what Smith has to say about voormis." Click!

All in good time, though.

This sort of thing would be fantastically useful.  Even though Keepers are going to want to filter the source material and pick certain interpretations of a creature or character, it's still really useful to know how they've been used before.  I'll be wanting to do exactly this with Serpent Men at some point, just wade through as many stories as possible.

Of course, there are newer stories which aren't going to be available.  I suppose in theory we could also aim to offer brief mentions of different ways the creatures have been used... but that's talking very long term I think.

#193 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:06 PM

Of course, there are newer stories which aren't going to be available.  I suppose in theory we could also aim to offer brief mentions of different ways the creatures have been used... but that's talking very long term I think.

In the case of the newer stories one could link to Amazon or otherwise provide publication information so that the researcher could buy or find the book easily in the library.

#194 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:34 PM

That's a good suggestion.  Publication information is great.  A link to WorldCat might be more stable than Amazon as I don't know how often they change their site structure.  Hmm.

#195 JMG

JMG

Master

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:59 AM

This sort of thing would be fantastically useful.  Even though Keepers are going to want to filter the source material and pick certain interpretations of a creature or character, it's still really useful to know how they've been used before.  I'll be wanting to do exactly this with Serpent Men at some point, just wade through as many stories as possible.

That sounds entertaining -- even among the older literature, you've got a bunch of Klarkash-Ton stories with material on the Serpent Men, and several by Robert E. Howard. Others? No doubt.

I'll start linking references to the online collections of Lovecraft and Smith as I find the time -- all it takes is a bit of html, after all.

#196 JMG

JMG

Master

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:40 AM

Further to the above -- I've put in links to Lovecraft and Smith stories in the reference sections of pages on Lomar, Mhu Thulan, the Crystal of Zon Mezzamalech, the Tablets of Ubbo Sathla, and a new page on the Testament of Carnamagos. It's very quick to do -- copy the URL from the HLP Archive or The Eldritch Dark, type in a little bit of formatting, and Cthulhu's your uncle. ;-) I'll do that as a matter of course with pages I edit, and I'd encourage others to do the same where relevant.

#197 JMG

JMG

Master

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:04 AM

Okay, I've been chipping away at the backlog of Wiki Cleanup articles -- a Plateau of Leng here, a gnophkeh there. ;-) One thing I haven't been able to do, since I don't know the game literature, is put in the scenarios relevant to each place or critter. If anyone feels like doing this, I can post a list of the articles I've revised, or what have you. Let me know.

#198 Danial

Danial

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:14 AM

The best way I've found to do that is go to the creature and click the "What links here" link on the left.

#199 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:51 PM

Danial's suggestion is the only way I would be able to do it - I'm not very familiar with the majority of even the most popular scenarios, and my exposure to a lot of "Lovecraftian" literature has been limited largely to Lovecraft, a couple of his contemporaries, and a few of the writers that inspired him.

If it helps, I think of each article as a work-in-progress, where different people with different areas of expertise expand on those things that they know best.  I assume that the folks who know the scenarios inside and out would be able to include scenario suggestions, those who know movies would be able to add movie information, those with a background in folklore would add the folklore, those who read an obscure story in a dusty, worm-eaten volume of Weird Tales recently would be able to include that rare and unusual find....  I couldn't imagine anyone would be able to include everything there is to know about a subject, unless it is a specialty of theirs....

#200 leonardolad

leonardolad

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSão José dos Campos, Brasil

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

Danial's suggestion is the only way I would be able to do it - I'm not very familiar with the majority of even the most popular scenarios, and my exposure to a lot of "Lovecraftian" literature has been limited largely to Lovecraft, a couple of his contemporaries, and a few of the writers that inspired him.

If it helps, I think of each article as a work-in-progress, where different people with different areas of expertise expand on those things that they know best.  I assume that the folks who know the scenarios inside and out would be able to include scenario suggestions, those who know movies would be able to add movie information, those with a background in folklore would add the folklore, those who read an obscure story in a dusty, worm-eaten volume of Weird Tales recently would be able to include that rare and unusual find....  I couldn't imagine anyone would be able to include everything there is to know about a subject, unless it is a specialty of theirs....

I agree with the "work-in-progress" concept. It's pretty hard to do EVERYTHING. I, for instance, am more familiar with scenarios and campaigns, so that's my main focus. While editing and creating scenario pages I try to put links to every popular entry I find in that scenario (creatures, tomes, artifacts, cities, regions, famous characters, etc.), even if that entry doesn't have a page yet. When another editor create a page for that entry it will be already linked.

One thing I haven't been able to do, since I don't know the game literature, is put in the scenarios relevant to each place or critter. If anyone feels like doing this, I can post a list of the articles I've revised, or what have you. Let me know.

One way to do this may be to put a link to the related scenarios category page. I mean, somewhere in the  Gnoph-Keh page, put a link to the category Gnoph-Keh scenarios.