• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 golfsale

golfsale

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:46 PM

I would heartily recommend The Savage World of Solomon Kane. It and its supplements really capture the spirit of the character and the world of Kane. The plot point campaign has some definite Lovecraftian influences. So, you get some great action, swashbuckling adventure and a good dose of horror, to boot.

I managed to get hold of the Savage World of Solomon Kane rulebook and the Path of Kane supplement. The scenarios seem to be short and lethal, especially the ones in the rulebook. Having had my witch-hunter character mortally wounded twice (once by a zombie and once by a giant rat), I'm actually more scared of getting into a fight in Solomon Kane than in Cthulhu!

Are the Savage Foes and Traveler's Tales supplements worth getting?

#42 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:33 AM

I managed to get hold of the Savage World of Solomon Kane rulebook and the Path of Kane supplement. The scenarios seem to be short and lethal, especially the ones in the rulebook. Having had my witch-hunter character mortally wounded twice (once by a zombie and once by a giant rat), I'm actually more scared of getting into a fight in Solomon Kane than in Cthulhu!

Are the Savage Foes and Traveler's Tales supplements worth getting?

I like Savage Foes but wasn't overly impressed with what I saw of Traveler's Tales. Also, Traveler's Tales is the only Solomon Kane RPG book that's not a nice hardcover ;-) My only problem is that after having experienced it as a player a couple of times I'm not all that enamoured with the Savage Worlds system. It's a fun and beautifully produced RPG though.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#43 Kingdaddy

Kingdaddy

Neophyte

• 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:12 PM

I'd also recommend Primeval Thule, an explicit mash-up of Conan-style fantasy with Lovecraft. Mi-go and other Lovecraftian entities are part of the background:

http://www.sasquatch.../primeval-thule

Note that this is a background, not a separate RPG. There are different versions for D&D, Savage Worlds, and 13th Age. You can get PDF versions of the books from DriveThruRPG.com.

The OSR style RPG Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea may be worth a look. It's a cross of 2nd edition AD&D-style fantasy with weird fiction elements from the Likes of Lovecraft, Smith and Howard.

#44 golfsale

golfsale

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:13 PM

I like Savage Foes

Could you tell me what specifically is good about Savage Foes?

#45 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:11 AM

This review on YouTube about sums it up:

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#46 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationSerpent-haunted Ehssi-Keh, beside the Lake of the Mound

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:13 PM

In a letter dated 28 June 1935, H. P. Lovecraft wrote this to Natalie Wooley (Letters to Robert Bloch and Others, p.205):

"Yes—Robert E. Howard is a notable author—more powerful & spontaneous than even he himself realises. He tends to get away from weirdness toward sheer sanguinary adventure, but there is still no one equal to him in describing haunted cyclopean ruins in an African or Hyperborean jungle. He has written reams of powerful poetry, also—most of which is still unpublished."

#47 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:09 AM

Otto Binder (who may've written the last chapter of Almuric) writing about REH (and HPL):

https://www.blackgat...obert-e-howard/

#48 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:11 PM

The eldritch monument in this REH poem can't be the Black Stone and its location has never been determined.

The Symbol

Eons before Atlantean days in the time of the world’s black dawn,
Strange were the kings and grim the deeds that the pallid moon looked on.
When the great black cities split the stars and strange prows broke the tide,
And smoke went up from ghastly shrines where writhing victims died.

Black magic raised its serpent head, and all things foul and banned,
Till an angry God hurled up the sea against the shuddering land.
And the grisly kings they read their doom in the wind and the rising brine,
And they set a pillar on a hill for a symbol and a sign.

Black shrine and hall and carven wall sank to eternal sleep,
And dawn looked down on a silent world and the blue unbroken deep.
Now men go forth in their daily ways and they reck not of the feel
Of the veil that crushed, so long ago, the world beneath its heel.

But deep in the seaweed-haunted halls in the green unlighted deep,
Inhuman kings await the day that shall break their chains of sleep.
And far in a grim untrodden land on a jungle-girded hill,
A pillar stands like a sign of Fate, in subtle warning still.

Carved in its blind black face of stone a fearful unknown rune
Leers in the glare of the tropic sun and the cold of the leprous moon.
And it shall stand for a symbol mute that men are weak and blind,
Till Hell roars up from the black abyss and horror swoops behind.

For this is the screed upon the shaft, oh, pallid sons of men:
“We that were lords of all the earth, shall rise and rule again.”
And dark is the doom of the tribes of earth, that hour wild and red,
When the ages give their secrets up and the sea gives up its dead.

Robert E. Howard

#49 finarvyn

finarvyn

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationArkham (okay... near Chicago)

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:33 PM

Lots to comment on here....

(1) I picked up a SAVAGE WORLDS rulebook and have started reading more about the game. Looks like it's not too hard to run and there is a lot of good material out there for the game.

(2) I bought a copy of THULE for 5E and it looks okay but didn't really grab me that much. It's mostly sitting on the shelf. :-(

(3) I like all of the SOLOMON KANE resources for the game, but I'm biased since SK is one of my favorite Howard characters of all time.

Marv / Finarvyn -- Investigator of the Unknown

#50 rabindranath72

rabindranath72

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:14 AM

Hi Marv! It's nice to see you here, too :)

Although I don't have a preferred way to run things, I have used the following to good effect:

1) The d20 Conan game, with more Mythos stuff gleaned from the d20 CoC book (creatures and spells.) Some conversion is required as d20 Conan has some mechanical differences w.r.t. "standard" d20 stuff.

2) Stormbringer 4e for character rules (professions, equipment etc.), with CoC for Mythos stuff (creatures and spells). This combination works almost seamlessly. The Demon Magic supplement for Stormbringer has some suggestions for the use of Sanity in the game.

3) d20 CoC, with bits of equipment from D&D 3e; and using the suggestions for mixing 3e with CoC, in particular where it concerns Sanity (I'd expect people in the Hyborian Age to be more "resilient" to horror due to intrinsically more savage cultures.)

Note also there are Cthulhu Dark Ages and Cthulhu Invictus, which could also be used mostly "as is", although I haven't tried them.

Cheers,

Antonio

#51 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:12 AM

Letters to J. Vernon Shea, Carl F. Strauch, and Lee McBride White is the latest volume from Hippocampus Press.

Letters to Lee McBride White - First published in the Lovecraft Annual.

p.374 - A brief memorial recap on the death of Robert E. Howard and its aftermath:

This has been a bad year for fantasy in general as well as for certain of its devotees [...] Most tragic of all from the standpoint of our little circle is the suicide of Robert E. Howard--who shot himself on June 11 [...]  Weird fiction's loss is irreparable--for no other popular magazine fantaisiste's work had half the zest & power & spontaneity of his. Poor old Two-Gun Bob! -- HPL

#52 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:09 AM

Arkham

Drowsy and dull with age the houses blink

On aimless streets the rat-gnawed years forget-
But what inhuman figures leer and slink
Down the old alleys when the moon has set?

~ REH ~

02_bookofreh_01_1976_jones_pigeonsfromhe

#53 Zarono

Zarono

Master

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:11 AM

Artifacts of unknown origin, perhaps associated with the primal cult of Gol-Goroth :shock:

Idol%20of%20Goroth%201_zpsn0wvokhu.jpg

#54 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:18 PM

Artifacts of unknown origin, perhaps associated with the primal cult of Gol-Goroth :shock:

Idol%20of%20Goroth%201_zpsn0wvokhu.jpg

Cool. That figurine especially looks like how I've always envisioned Gol-goroth.  B)

#55 Zarono

Zarono

Master

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:50 PM

Cool. That figurine especially looks like how I've always envisioned Gol-goroth. B)

He has touched your mind, time to put on a mantle of parrot feathers and grab a sacrificial dagger :-D

They lumber through the night
With their elephantine tread;
I shudder in affright
As I cower in my bed.
They lift colossal wings
On the high gable roofs
Which tremble to the trample
Of their mastodonic hoofs.
—Justin Geoffrey: Out of the Old Land
Robert E. Howard, The Thing on the Roof

Thing%20on%20the%20Roof_zpsa2p1yakv.jpg

#56 Zarono

Zarono

Master

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:43 PM

Howard inspired occult artifact; the skull of Tsotha-Lanti.

The sorcerer Tsotha-Lanti was the main bad guy in the Conan story "The Scarlet Citadel",  at the end of the tale the cimmerian loops his head off and an eagle (rival sorcerer Pelias's familiar) swoops in to carry off the severed head with Tsotha's stumbling headless body giving chase (sorry for the spoiler, still a great story so read it  :-P )

Tsotha-Lanti was the hybrid son of some nameless demon lurking in pre-human ruins and also a powerful sorcerer so it's reasonable to assume some part of his intellect still survives in that severed head and perhaps became an occult artifact treasured by many sorcerers and cults over the millennia. It would be a good way to bring information about the Hyborian Age into a modern era game.

Necronomicon_House%20of%20the%20Necroman

#57 OttoHarkaman

OttoHarkaman

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationLexington, Kentucky

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:39 PM

Howard inspired occult artifact; the skull of Tsotha-Lanti.

Great idea! Love it!

#58 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA - In the cool, dark earthen floor. USA

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:41 AM

Bryan, more hard props please! Love yer scrolls an books but those skulls and boxes...wow. Must get...more.

'Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911, But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shyte out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get' . 

#59 Zarono

Zarono

Master

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for the kind words! Here's some Black Lotus for you :-D

BLACK%20LOTUS%20SKULL_zpsbsaxyelj.jpg

#60 Zarono

Zarono

Master

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:55 PM

Howard's Gods of Bal Sagoth was mentioned in the troll thread so I thought I would post this as a howardian adventure seed :-D

This is the only known photo from the 1939 nazi expedition to the island of Bal Sagoth, the few references to the expedition refer to several men men dying at the hands of "abominations" dwelling in the catacombs beneath the ruins of the fabled city. 

bal_sagoth_expedition_by_mrzarono_zpsorm