75 replies to this topic

#21 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationSerpent-haunted Ehssi-Keh, beside the Lake of the Mound

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:32 PM

I know that the REH Foundation will have a vendor's table at the Con.

Also, the REH panel..."Join us for this panel and learn more about REH, his contributions to the Cthulhu Mythos, correspondence with HPL and how Howard’s work remains so vibrant and powerful all these decades later!

Panelists: Jeff Shanks, Rusty Burke, Mark Finn
Moderator: Scott Connors"

Shanks and Burke have worked on several Mythos-related scholarly projects. Connors is a CAS scholar, a member of the EOD as well as the REH apa.

Shanks will also be on the the Pulp/Fanzines panel, the HPL and science panel (as the archaeology/anthropology), and on Friday he'll be giving an academic paper in the Armitage Symposium entitled "Darwin and the Deep Ones: Evolutionary Anxiety in 'The Shadow over Innsmouth.'"

He is the co-editor of The Unique Influence of Weird Tales academic volume coming out soon.

They shouldn't be that hard to find, Nick.   :D

A couple of things I should've mentioned... The REH panel is 4pm Saturday. Mark Finn wrote the award-winning Howard bio, Blood & Thunder.

#22 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA - In the cool, dark earthen floor. USA

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:27 PM

Found them and said hi. Some nice books and letters complications that I'd love to have

'Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911, But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shyte out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get' . 

#23 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA - In the cool, dark earthen floor. USA

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:03 PM

GREAT panel on this at the 'con. Lets hope someone taped it.

'Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911, But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shyte out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get' . 

#24 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:48 PM

GREAT panel on this at the 'con. Lets hope someone taped it.

It did get taped, but it's not up yet.  However, the REH crew did do a "dry run" of that panel for the Cromcast:

http://thecromcast.b...d-atlantis.html

#25 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:42 AM

Pics of the REH panel at NecronomiCon 2015, as well as the REH Foundation crew at the vendor table:

http://www.conan.com...e=2#entry254494

The "Paul" in the second pic is Paul McNamee, who just got published in A Lonely & Curious Country (Ulthar Press):

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/0692501967

#26 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:37 AM

TE Grau (a forum member), pledges his allegiance to REH (and CAS and HPL):

http://cosmicomicon....n-to-weird.html

NAMELESSDARK_ALTEREDRED.jpg

#27 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:17 PM

Lovecraft praised Robert E. Howard to his face (via correspondence). Of course, HPL could have cut off corresponding at any time (he didn't). In fact, the Old Gent initiated it all. 

That correspondence started 85yrs ago this year. Influences went both ways.

Here is a great tripartite series that looks at what Lovecraft said about REH to other people. Some surprises therein...

http://onanunderwood...t-e-howard.html

http://onanunderwood...-howard_13.html

Virgil-Finlay-hpl.jpg

#28 DarkDesigns

DarkDesigns

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:53 PM

Aside from Realms of Cthulhu for Savage Worlds (and possibly more so), I would heartily recommend The Savage World of Solomon Kane. It and its supplements really capture the spirit of the character and the world of Kane. The plot point campaign has some definite Lovecraftian influences. So, you get some great action, swashbuckling adventure and a good dose of horror, to boot.

Mike Dukes

#29 DeaconBlackfire

DeaconBlackfire

Master

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:16 PM

Solomon Kane is probably my favorite of all REH's characters. 

Only through deception of illusion can we experience reality.

#30 GreatRedShark

GreatRedShark

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:36 PM

REH is one of the unbreakable cornerstones of my creative foundation. His work never leaves me.

TE Grau (a forum member), pledges his allegiance to REH (and CAS and HPL):

http://cosmicomicon....n-to-weird.html

NAMELESSDARK_ALTEREDRED.jpg

www.cosmicomicon.blogspot.com

#31 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:24 PM

Lovecraft praised Robert E. Howard to his face (via correspondence). Of course, HPL could have cut off corresponding at any time (he didn't). In fact, the Old Gent initiated it all. 

That correspondence started 85yrs ago this year. Influences went both ways.

Here is a great tripartite series that looks at what Lovecraft said about REH to other people. Some surprises therein...

http://onanunderwood...-howard_13.html

Virgil-Finlay-hpl.jpg

HPL had some good ideas:

"A book of Conan stories would certainly be a very welcome item, & I hope such a thing can be published some day. It ought, I think, to be a pretty large & inclusive thing--& might form quite a problem to a publisher with limited equipment. It seems to me that for an immediate volume a collection of Howard's best stories--irrespective of their membership in the Conan cycle--would be the wisest venture. REH's best weird tales, without question, were the short 'King Kull' series--though perhaps some of the Conans & Solomon Kanes, plus the recent 'Black Canaan', fall into that category. Certain Howard enthusiasts ought to be consulted about the contents of such a book--[ E. Hoffman] Price being especially well qualified to pick selections.

Financing would be a rather hard problem (I'm utterly broke!), but a large number of small subscriptions secured through advertisements in the fan magazines might help. Your scale of estimated prices is very helpful in forming an idea of the problem--as is the set of paper & cover samples. A 100-page volume ought not to be impracticable in the end--& might conceivably hold all the 'King Kull' tales.

Art work can sometimes be secured quite reasonably--Utpatel having done four drawing from my 'Innsmouth' for only $15.00. A sketch or line drawing of REH would make a good frontispiece--& as a model I'd suggest one of the 1931 snapshots (I could lend a small print). These are more typical, I think, that the stouter, moustached snaps of REH's last days. But all these points could be discussed by the editorial board--pictures, title, scope size, selects, &c. I'd suggest your getting in touch with Price on the subject, & also with REH's father."

- Lovecraf to Wilson Shepherd, 5 Sep 1936, Letters to Robert Bloch & Others pp359-360

Obviously, HPL was quite keen on the idea of a volume of Howard's best tales. He expressed his appreciation for Black Canaan more than once. In fact, he may've helped brainstorm the plot (to a small extent).

Edited by deuce, 06 February 2016 - 09:27 PM.

#32 cjearkham

cjearkham

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:08 AM

HPL had some good ideas:

"...It seems to me that for an immediate volume a collection of Howard's best stories--irrespective of their membership in the Conan cycle--would be the wisest venture. REH's best weird tales, without question, were the short 'King Kull' series--though perhaps some of the Conans & Solomon Kanes, plus the recent 'Black Canaan', fall into that category. Certain Howard enthusiasts ought to be consulted about the contents of such a book--[ E. Hoffman] Price being especially well qualified to pick selections."

Indeed.  He'd handed Arkham House the outline for Skull-Face and Others:  5 Conans, 4 Solomon Kanes, 2 Kulls, 2 Brans, and a healthy handful of other great stories (including "Black Canaan"), with an intro by EHPrice.

Chris Jarocha-Ernst
Hagiographer of the Cthulhu Mythos

#33 Aklo

Aklo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:54 AM

The OSR style RPG Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea may be worth a look. It's a cross of 2nd edition AD&D-style fantasy with weird fiction elements from the Likes of Lovecraft, Smith and Howard.

Wow! Didn't even know this existed! Am now ordering....

The Optimist in me says we live in the best of all possible worlds...The Pessimist in me believes this is true.

#34 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:51 AM

There's  also Barbarians of Lemuria and Jaws of the Six Serpents which do an equally good job of Conan style Swords and Sorcery games.

Nigel

#35 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:20 PM

Indeed.  He'd handed Arkham House the outline for Skull-Face and Others:  5 Conans, 4 Solomon Kanes, 2 Kulls, 2 Brans, and a healthy handful of other great stories (including "Black Canaan"), with an intro by EHPrice.

Did Derleth have access to the Shepherd letter, I wonder? Or did he just make a lucky guess?

#36 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:09 PM

The OSR style RPG Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea may be worth a look. It's a cross of 2nd edition AD&D-style fantasy with weird fiction elements from the Likes of Lovecraft, Smith and Howard.

There's  also Barbarians of Lemuria and Jaws of the Six Serpents which do an equally good job of Conan style Swords and Sorcery games.

Nigel

Also of interest might be D101 Games' Crypts & Things OSR S&S game.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#37 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:21 PM

Modiphius (Achtung! Chthulhu) will be doing a Kull/Thurian Age supplement for their Conan project:

https://www.kickstar...e/posts/1507416

#38 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:42 PM

A pretty good overview of REH's horror tales:

http://medleyana.com...obert-e-howard/

#39 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:14 PM

Since the HPL-Houdini connection is back in the news, here is a little comment from Howard:

"Your mention of Houdini interests me. You blame him for being a showman when he might have been, in your opinion, a scholar, scientist, or philosopher. How do you know he would have derived more pleasure out of being a scholar, scientist or philosopher than he did as a showman? Now, don’t get to thinking again that I’m questioning the superiority of these things over showmanship. I’m simply questioning the assumption that any man would get more satisfaction out of being a scholar, scientist or philosopher, than he would out of being something else. As a born showman, Houdini was undoubtedly happier as the supreme artist of his profession, than he would have been in anything else. You don’t take differences of temperament into consideration. Because scholarship, science and philosophy are superior to other things, doesn’t necessarily mean that any man of intelligence would be happier following one of these pursuits than at anything else."

-- Robert E. Howard to H. P. Lovecraft, January 1934, CL3.186

#40 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:17 AM

REH getting undue credit for DC's "Arkham Asylum":

https://davescornero...-arkham-asylum/

HPL created the Arkham Sanitarium (not "Asylum"). Howard had Justin Geoffrey (a character he created) die in a "madhouse", but that was likely one in the Catskills/upstate New York, which is where Geoffrey's family lived.

I'm glad "Dave" cornered Denny O'Neill as to the origin of DC's Arkham Asylum. Jack C. Harris appears to have been the one to throw it out there, but I have a hard time believing that Julius Schwartz and Wandrei had zero influence upon that happening.

On the other hand, time and again, various Lovecraft authorities have stated that HPL was the first to get Tsathoggua in print, ahead of Clark Ashton Smith. The former point is false, the latter is correct. Peruse these publishing dates:

Children of the Night (mentions Tsathoggua as the deity of a dark cult on the first page)

The Whisperer in Darkness (glancing mention of Tsathoggua)

The Tale of Satampre Zeiros (actual CAS tale, written in 1929, mentioning Tsathoggua)

[Several texts need rewritten (as does the wiki entry).

Lovecraft-Smith-Howard.jpg