• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

#1 CanterburyTail

CanterburyTail

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:08 AM

Just got this email from the Cthulhu 7th Kickstarter. Wow, didn't see that one coming.

Greetings to all our Patient Backers,

We have pressed the reset button... In 1975 Chaosium started out as a quirky boutique game company. We were all about creativity, artistry and craftsmanship. With every game we provided you with new realms of imagination and entertainment. Over the last few years we forgot that, and lost our way.

The Great Old Ones have Returned…
Greg Stafford, founder of Chaosium and creative force during its heyday, is now President. Sandy Petersen, world renowned game designer who brought Cthulhu into the light three decades ago, has rejoined the team as well.

Greg says: "Chaosium is part of my legacy. My intent is to restore it to its rightful place in the world of gaming. Something we can all take pride in, and something that fans will look forward to.Where 'what’s next?' is answered with 'I can’t wait'."

The Stars are Right…
Sandy says: "I am excited to return to active participation in theCall of Cthulhu line, and I’m eagerly looking forward to working directly with Greg again. We are Chaosium's original team from the 1980s. My first focus is going to be the Call of Cthulhu 7th edition Kickstarter campaign."

Our main plan is simple (but will be a lot of work):
  • Quickly sift and sort through the current company problems
  • Immediately ship the remaining Horror on the Orient Express backer rewards
  • Focus on the Call of Cthulhu 7th edition Kickstarter backer rewards
  • Return to regularly making awesome new games.

We offer new hope, and ask only for your patience."

Please visit Chaosium.com for regular news and updates. Contact us with questions, kudos, curses, or kindness. We are listening, and we will respond.

Greg Stafford, President and CEO of Chaosium Inc.
I’m puttin' the band back together.

#2 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationPalm Bay, Florida

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:10 AM

I didn't expect that either...was just going to post myself.
It does raise questions about what the heck is going on with the 7th ed. Kickstarter though. Frankly I thought after we received the pdfs, things looked like the main books were ready to be printed.

I'd also like the last items of the Orient Express Kickstarter to head out again.

I didn't know we were in a tunnel, but perhaps there is a light at the end of it?

#3 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,537 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:36 AM

Damn. That is big news. I wonder how this will shake out?
My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#4 daedalum

daedalum

Breakfast Clubber

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:58 AM

What about Mike, is he still line editor? I was really happy with his work and the increased visibility....the great old ones didnt eat him did they?

Edited by daedalum, 03 June 2015 - 04:58 AM.

#5 TrippyHippy

TrippyHippy

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:26 AM

My first reaction was ‘Yay! Greg and Sandy are back!!”. My second reaction was “….but how bad must it have got before the old guard felt they had to return”…..followed shortly after by “…Oh! Will I ever see a return on my Kickstarter backing?” 

Maybe I’m just getting cynical in my old age. Still, waiting indefinitely for a Kickstarter product does tend to age you…

Edited by TrippyHippy, 03 June 2015 - 05:27 AM.

#6 Edwar

Edwar

Master

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:52 AM

I predict the start of a long and prosperous Yoggie forum thread on the subject!

The news are certainly surprising, but so is the tone of the email - sure, not a lot of detail, but still quite an honest admission of "company problems" and pressing reset (which I'd say is quite a strong word in company jargon).

Why vote for a lesser evil? Cthulhu for President, 2016.

#7 Dr_Zarnak

Dr_Zarnak

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:04 AM

Wonderful news! I for one am willing to give them all the time they need to fix things.

#8 Eudaimic

Eudaimic

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:10 AM

Iä. Iä. And we shall know how to weigh these tidings by the fruits of their labors.

Currently recording Beyond the Mountains of Madness 2e with Trail of Cthulhu.
http://mountainsofmadness.org

#9 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:42 AM

Like everyone, I'm excited by the news. I'm less concerned about the KS'ers, as I suspect everything was still in process for that. I'm more curious as to what this means for the people who are (were?) on staff.

#10 Munchezuma

Munchezuma

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationLemont, Pennsylvania

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:57 PM

Aside from delays on the Kickstarters, I didn't really see problems with Chaosium from the outside. Am I missing something?

I suppose I fall in to the "cautiously optimistic" category, but I am worried about them fulfilling KS rewards.

#11 ShadowDenizen

ShadowDenizen

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:13 PM

Good for them (though of course ultimately, the proof really is in the pudding)! And a well-worded press release, IMO.

Reagrdless, I'm quite excited by this, and I commend Chaosium for (finally) realizing (or at least admitting) the dire straits they were in, and bringing in some much-needed assistance and leadership, and focusing on the existing problems.

Though this is slightly odd timing, to bring back 2 of the "Old Guard", hot on the heels of a brand-new (and substanstially different!) edition....

#12 paladin2769

paladin2769

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSI, NY

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:04 PM

Just read this online this morning...

http://icv2.com/arti...n-back-chaosium

#13 SandyPetersen

SandyPetersen

Petersen Games

• Publisher
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationRockwall, Texas

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:16 PM

Hey all, this is Sandy Petersen of course. 

I've been keeping my head down for a while, working on other matters, but I wanted to drop a note about what happened at Chaosium yesterday. You guys ought to know. 

1) Charlie Krank is no longer President of Chaosium. 

2) Greg Stafford is President of Chaosium. (again). 

3) Ben Monroe, whose name many of you may recognize, is assisting Greg in managing Chaosium's physical facilities, its warehouse, material, etc. 

4) I am now involved with Chaosium (again). My current status is VP of the Board of Directors (Greg is President). 

5) I cannot speak for Greg, but my number one concern is seeing that the Call of Cthulhu 7th edition gets out to the backers.

One way of looking at it is that the old Chaosium team is back again. Personally I think this is cause for rejoicing not worry but there you have it. 

Yog-Sothoth Neblod Zin

Sandy Petersen

#14 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationPalm Bay, Florida

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:17 PM

I just hope the KS's are finally fulfilled and they can move onto new and better things.

First off for many of the KS backers, it would be more open and regular communication to simply give them a realistic update and where things stand currently.

Second, probably a realistic accounting of where they stood with shipment and fulfillment of not only the last bits of HotOE but also 7th ed.

I've been pretty patient (hell, they should go through the same hell as I have been with Far West) with Chaosium, but compared to other KS' they have been pretty remiss on the KS updates.

#15 paladin2769

paladin2769

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSI, NY

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:21 PM

Hi Sandy,

As a backer of both 7e and HOTOE, I thank you for giving us some more details on what the story is over at Chaosium.  I look forward to 7e finally getting released to us (backers).  To think we were all afraid Pulp Cthulhu would never see the light of day...  ;)

Looks like the Stars are finally right now.

#16 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:37 PM

I'll just drop this post from Sandy here:

https://rpggeek.com/...408624#19408624

#17 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,016 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:54 PM

I've merged threads to keep the conversation in one place.

Great to see you and Greg back, Sandy!

Yog-Sothoth Neblod Zin

#18 paladin2769

paladin2769

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSI, NY

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:56 PM

Thanks, Paul.  :)

#19 Shrike

Shrike

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:34 PM

This is good news and earns Chaosium some nostalgia points from its older customers like me, but there's no doubt the company has made some serious mistakes with their Kickstarter projects and need to earn back customer loyalty with some proper crisis management. I hope their financial woes aren't as acute as they were some years ago with their massive CCG blunder, but there's little doubt they have had to absorb a lot of extra costs due to the fulfilment delays for these large Kickstarter projects. (I think I paid $10 for shipping for Horror on the Orient Express back in October of 2012. When the package arrived in May of 2015 it cost Chaosium $58, and some of the contents were missing, which obviously necessitates a second shipment and even more shipping costs. Do the math for for the listed 1,374 backers of that project, and then go look at the 7E project numbers ...)

I think Paul hit the nail on the head with his comment along the lines of avoiding Kickstarter bloat with the mantra "we are not a T-Shirt company".

Best of luck to Sandy and Greg in navigating out of the shoals of these Kickstarters and putting Choasium back on solid footing.

Edited by Shrike, 03 June 2015 - 04:36 PM.

#20 christian

christian

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:50 PM

Amazing news. I'm still waiting for my Horror on the Orient Express package BUT I'm quite glad that Chaosium have realizes that they were in over their head and have asked Greg and Sandy to step In. I know Greg from way back and am glad he's back on board, and I have nothing but praise for Sandy, who did a first KS for his Cthulhu Wars as a small video game, bombed, and came back so much stronger, made a killing with his second KS and delivered a perfect game with Cthulhu Wars the boardgame. What we have here are two amazing talents back in the company. I do hope all is well for everyone involved in the Chaosium team. Ah... if only Lynn Willis could see this....  Hail Chaosium, welcome back to the Great Old Ones.

christian lehmann