• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#61 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:51 PM

Not a current owner of Pelgrane, but the co-owner of Profantasy.

Come read about Dreamhounds of Paris actually being played.

The Armitage Files, now with added Ennie Award.
Cthulhu Britannica: London Box Set, now with Golden Geek runner-up award.

#62 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:07 PM

Of course you're right, but there is association. ;-)

#63 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:17 PM

As you'll have heard in the recording, we've finally closed down the Yoggie online shop - however we do still have a few things left in some of the darker recesses of the Innsmouth House subterranean laboratories cellars, including a few Cthulhu Breakfast Club Dice Towers.

As such, during 2016 we'll be giving away a Dice Tower each month to a lucky "Breakfast Clubber". A "Breakfast Clubber" is simply someone who either supports the CBC via Patreon or is a Patron+ or higher level supporter of YSDC. (This gives you access to the CBC forum.)

I also discovered a cache of YSDC "All Black" pencils as well, so you may find a few of those accompanying your Dice Tower prize!

ysdc-pencils.jpg

Our first Dice Tower giveaway will be in January.

#64 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • LocationBeyond Time and Space

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

That is very nice; both of you, for doing it, and the towers themselves!  ;-)

#65 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:28 PM

The January 2016 edition of The Cthulhu Breakfast Club is now out.

As promised, during each month of 2016 we're giving away a CBC Dice Tower!

#66 Galbraith

Galbraith

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:15 PM

I can confirm that Bourbons are not present in the US, along with most UK 'biscuits' such as the digestive and the Rich Tea. I suspect that the lack of afternoon tea contributes to this specific paucity.

#67 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:50 PM

Interestingly it's not usually served with biscuits! It appears Afternoon Tea is available in the US, but I'm not sure how common it is.

So, Bourbon and Bourbon...

#68 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:49 PM

Interestingly it's not usually served with biscuits!

Afternoon tea is widely available in the UK but in my experience it's more of a rare special treat thing for people. So not an every day, week or even monthly experience. Says me who is having another one on Saturday ;)

However tea drinking, especially around 4pm in the afternoon, is widespread in the UK, in homes and at work. And it's very common to have the cup of tea (often made fast with a tea bag in a cup or mug) with a biscuit, such as Rich Tea or Digestive. Dunkable biscuits that can be dipped in the tea are popular with many people.

#69 Galbraith

Galbraith

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:37 AM

Perhaps not 'Afternoon Tea', but tea in general. It's certainly not as ubiquitous or assumed over here (as evidenced by the fact that I was ignorant that Afternoon Tea was something more than tea in the afternoon :-D). Also, as was mentioned, biscuits in the US are something completely different, and are usually a sort of savory scone.

#70 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:39 AM

Monopoly is a sucky game, why settle for the lesser of two evils: https://boardgamegee...necronomonopoly

Regarding biscuits I took a couple of packets of Hob Nobs to Gen Con and gave away a free biscuit with every purchase at the Pelgrane booth, they didn't last very long.

Fearful Symmetries is set in the 1930s rather than being modern day like Rivers of London. I ran it as a campaign two years ago in our regular gaming group.

Come read about Dreamhounds of Paris actually being played.

The Armitage Files, now with added Ennie Award.
Cthulhu Britannica: London Box Set, now with Golden Geek runner-up award.

#71 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:03 AM

Interestingly it's not usually served with biscuits! It appears Afternoon Tea is available in the US, but I'm not sure how common it is.

So, Bourbon and Bourbon...

Just about any relatively large town or larger will quite possibly have a "tea house" or "tea shop," or even just a restaurant that serves afternoon tea.  I would imagine they have the appropriate biscuits as well, if they make a major thing out of having "afternoon tea" at all.  Of course, the vast majority of folks in my economic bracket don't go to such places (they tend to be a bit pricier than a coffee shop, though they are quieter, nicer, and serve better snacks and the like, plus, Americans just don't seem to think in terms of tea a lot of times; as an historian, I speculate that it has something to do with how it went out of vogue for about 10 years around the time of the Revolution, and for some reason it just never really caught back on). 

How do I know all of this about tea shops in America?  Because, while I was on active duty, a female Lt Col invited a bunch of us junior officers (all of whom happened to be male) to go out for a late "lunch" in the city (actually pretty much a very large town) we were in (we had all been working a project for several days which was important enough that we were skipping lunch and the like).  So we all piled into her van and she took us to "one of her favorite places!"  A tea shop.

Imagine the scene as 7 big guys (I was the tiny guy and I stand just under six feet and weighed in at 185 lbs) in Battle Dress Uniforms and combat boots are ushered into this joint that serves tea in little porcelain cups and has doilies on the tables!  You had to laugh at the looks we got from the rest of the customers, but the owner and her wait staff were very professional, and very nice, and tried their best to make us feel welcome.  It was a good experience...  ;-)

#72 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:11 AM

I visited a friend in Canada a few years back and popped into the teashop round the corner a couple of times.  It was decent, and they seemed quietly delighted to have an authentic Brit drinking their Earl Grey.

Japan, on the other hand... I'm just going to say "Darjeeling with coffee creamer".

#73 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:45 AM

Monopoly is a sucky game, why settle for the lesser of two evils: https://boardgamegee...necronomonopoly

There's certainly been a few variants over the years. ;-) Cthulhu Monopoly is currently available if anyone is after it.

Regarding biscuits I took a couple of packets of Hob Nobs to Gen Con and gave away a free biscuit with every purchase at the Pelgrane booth, they didn't last very long.

A master stroke! No wonder Pelgrane does so well...

Steve, do share more on Fearful Symmetries when you can.

There's a few pictures of Afternoon Tea in the "Comestibles" gallery. Patrons can even watch a video about one experience last year.

One of the images is from the old Criterion (as featured in Downton Abbey), which has just been re-opened as Savini at Criterion by the owners of the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II (so a new link to HotOE); though I note the price for Afternoon Tea has gone up by 50%! - In which case I'd recommend Afternoon Tea at the British Museum.

afternoon-tea-british-museum.jpg

#74 littleo

littleo

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:27 PM

Most places around here will serve what they call "tea sittings" or "high tea" with 2-3 different teas, small savory dishes, and scones with clotted cream, over about 90 minutes to 2 hours. That's pretty fancy for Albuquerque, NM. Funnily enough, a few years back when I was in China, I could not get a decent cup of tea to save my life. Everything was weakly brewed with tea bags and offered coffee creamer!

Mike D

#75 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:46 PM

I've just read that the UK spends £80 million pounds a year on Bourbon biscuits alone.

#76 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:50 PM

Most places around here will serve what they call "tea sittings" or "high tea" with 2-3 different teas, small savory dishes, and scones with clotted cream, over about 90 minutes to 2 hours. That's pretty fancy for Albuquerque, NM. Funnily enough, a few years back when I was in China, I could not get a decent cup of tea to save my life. Everything was weakly brewed with tea bags and offered coffee creamer!

Mike D

I know!  Isn't that odd?  I was raised in West Texas (El Paso, to be precise) and that tea stuff just isn't something that we were raised with.  Hell, Lipton Tea was considered a bit strange by most!  And yet the small city that Lt Col took us to tea in was in West Central Texas as well.  Now you seem to find these tea shops all over the place out there.  Still, despite my upbringing, "there ain't nuthin' wrong with it, and I'll shoot the next man who says so!"  ;-)

#77 Galbraith

Galbraith

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:53 PM

We had one small tea shop in my town in Oregon growing up, but it's since closed.

#78 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:36 PM

The February 2016 meeting of The Cthulhu Breakfast Club is available to listen to (or at least a backup of it, anyway).

This meeting features talk of:

Achtung! Cthulhu, The Ordeal of Randolph Carter, Monsters & Miscreants M.R. James card game, Geeky Monkey magazine, Conan RPGs & Robert E. Howard, and reading vs. playing games - plus a few other varied topics.

"Breakfast Clubbers" can also watch a couple of video clips from the CBC meeting as well as have another chance to win a wooden Dice Tower.

#79 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:47 PM

Welcome to the March 2016 meeting of The Cthulhu Breakfast Club with our guest, Greig Johnson.

#80 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:09 PM

The April meeting of the CBC.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Podcast