43 replies to this topic

#41 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:14 PM

If people do want to use "gibberish" in their games, they're perfectly entitled to!

I made up a lot of gibberish in our game of Horror on the Orient Express (deliberately - not just the normal stuff at the table). ;-)

#42 Dabbler

Dabbler

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationThe mist-shrouded gardens of Zaïs, Where blossoms the white nephalotë, The redolent herald of midnight.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:19 PM

Although the offending post has been deleted, the kindness of PoC in a private message has persuaded me to apologise in a public manner. I hold what my mother calls extremely stiff and archaic views on most matters and believe firmly that Lovecraft's work ranks as a survival of proper literature from men like White of Selborne. I denounced the use of gibberish in games because I believe it cheapens Lovecraft's work.

You have been tremendously understanding about my odd posts and I have no right -- none whatsoever -- to interfere with your enjoyment . I have been a pompous ass.

Edited by Dabbler, 18 August 2017 - 09:52 PM.

''In theory, I am an agnostic, but pending the appearance of radical evidence I must be classed, practically and provisionally, as an atheist.''

#43 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:29 PM

I think you're being too hard on yourself! Ultimately as long as people are having fun playing the games, that's all that matters, and to be fair various people like various degrees of verisimilitude (it's definitely a range).

Getting back to the OP's topic. Edge of Darkness is a great scenario. Tragically (fortunately?) it's the only one I played in recent times where the group I was playing in didn't get to finish the adventure. I'm just going to have a quick look in the attic...

#44 AlexanderCorvaine

AlexanderCorvaine

Neophyte

• Patron
  • 6 posts
  • LocationDayton, Ohio

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:42 AM

I have run this adventure to begin a campaign on four separate occasions (with minor modifications each time, and once in the modern era). I agree that is is a better intro scenario than "The Haunting" if for no other reason than it directly gives cause for gathering a party with a more emotional connection to their characters (a dying man's last wish as opposed to being hired to investigate a house). That, and I prefer the Lurker as an introduction to the mythos, rather than Corbitt. This isn't to say that the Haunting isn't great, but I feel that it should be the 2nd adventure of a campaign, not the first. In this order then, the first scenario teaches new players and Keeper about horror roleplaying in general, and Lovecraft's themes specifically (Dark family secrets, ancient horrors from beyond, conspiracies, and no guarantee of victory). The Second Scenario (The Haunting), then teaches both players and Keeper the importance of research and planning. Both scenarios are good for teaching new players and Keepers essential tools for making Call of Cthulhu work as a unique kind of RPG and not just DnD.

That, and I always take sadistic glee that a player who has been in Edge several times has received maximum damage from the hobo three times in a row (every time that he has played.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoC 1-6e