#21 drone232

drone232

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationAlabama, U.S.A

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:04 PM

I did it just now. The scenario went wonderfully and I recorded it. It runs one and a fifth hours (1:19) and I just need to figure out how to get it from microsoft record to here. I will do that tomorrow because I have bussiness to attend to for the rest of the day. Thank you for everyone's replies. I will run "The Haunted" for my brother's birthday instead. 

P.S. They burned down the farmhouse and thought they could kill it with shotguns instead of gong through with the ritual.

#22 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:21 PM

I also advise against having romantic interests or couples the gaming table.

Well I guess that's our group stuffed then! ;-)

#23 NFVD

NFVD

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:49 PM

I mentioned my empirical experience; twice burned thrice shy or whatever Brits say.  It was not a blanket statement that relatives and couplings will destroy a gaming group, and I'm sure there are hosts of people clambering up for the chance to share that they've played for decades with their brothers and sisters and progeny and boy/girlfriends and spouses without a hitch.  I just advise against it because I've seen it turn into disaster just one time too many, and in too extreme a manner, for my tolerance level and I ain't willing to risk it anymore.

You group is not, and neither needs to "get stuffed".  I assume I have heard the couples in question playing in some of your Actual Gaming recordings; there was nothing there to hear that would indicate such a relation between players, or players and GM. So congratulations, you have couplings in your group who do not make an issue out of that fact; but if one of the couples happens to go through a divorce, or a bad breakup...well, it will take some remarkable mature and enlightened persons to avoid that reflecting upon the game.

And to further clarify my stance on this matter so that folks understand (even if they may disagree) and don't accuse me of being some extreme anti-cupid sourpuss or have an issue with family, in my experience with RPGs I have seen real-life friendships end several times, and even people being physically assaulted because of issues steeeming from family or romantic couplings.  I simply do not want to have to deal with that kind of crap anymore, or even the risk of it happening.

The scenario went wonderfully and I recorded it. It runs one and a fifth hours (1:19) and I just need to figure out how to get it from microsoft record to here.

I'll be sure to listen to it.

P.S. They burned down the farmhouse and thought they could kill it with shotguns instead of gong through with the ritual.

LoL! :-)   Now I'll really make sure I will listen to it.

Edited by NFVD, 13 March 2015 - 09:52 PM.

#24 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:10 PM

I assume I have heard the couples in question playing in some of your Actual Gaming recordings; there was nothing there to hear that would indicate such a relation between players, or players and GM.

If you can't tell who's in a relationship in our group, then perhaps others should try it if they wish?

You've obviously had problems yourself and you have your own solution, but personally I wouldn't offer that advice for everyone.

#25 NFVD

NFVD

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:55 AM

If you can't tell who's in a relationship in our group, then perhaps others should try it if they wish?

I am not sure I understood the question. My personal opinions and advice on gaming do not hold any kind of authority value, and what others choose to do with their gaming does require my personal seal of approval.

You've obviously had problems yourself

Not exactly; those problems happened in groups I was a part of, but the issues that led to them did not involve me personally.

Think of it as being a backseat passenger on a car where the driver and hanger-on start having a heated argument that leads to loosing vehicle control and a road accident. Now I didn't have a problem, the driver and hanger-on did. The consequences of that problem however ended up affecting everyone riding in the car.

and you have your own solution,

It is not a solution. It does not deal with the root cause of the problem or solve it; which would be impossible on itself as we're dealing with human nature and the free choices of other people. What I have is a personal, individual choice of action to prevent the risk of having to deal with, yet again by the Nth time, potential nasty occurences all deriving from the same cause: familial and romantic relationships at the gaming table.

Like every other sensible choice this one is neither absolute or eternal. If I went to a Convention I couldn't well expect, much less demand, that every gaming table I participated at would abide to it. If it's one-shots who cares? But for a long-running gaming group and the commintment it requires? There I'll hold to it.

but personally I wouldn't offer that advice for everyone.

But since there are "someones" you would offer it to I will assume you recognize validity to the advice?

#26 drone232

drone232

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationAlabama, U.S.A

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:43 AM

Alright, can someone explain to me how to post an audio recording on this site. I just got home from work and decided to go ahead and post the audio recording, but I don't know how to. It does not say I have the ability to post things under "files". I also don't see an option to post it on this topic. I will continue looking in the morning, but now it is late and I am sleepy. 

#27 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:25 PM

Alright, can someone explain to me how to post an audio recording on this site.

If it's very short (under 2 MB) then as a site Patron you can use the file attachment system in your forum or blog posts to upload it to the site.

If it's a full game recording (and therefore bigger), then people have usually had much success uploading their audio to their Dropbox (or similar) account (public folder) and then posting a link to it.

#28 drone232

drone232

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationAlabama, U.S.A

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:25 PM

Found a website called archve.org that allows people to freely post audio and text files. The link to my game is https://archive.org/...uEdgeOfDarkness

Since thisis only my third game keeping, I implore all the keepers to review my keeping. Thank you for all your posts.

#29 PRuano

PRuano

Master

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:30 PM

I second this being one of the best introductory scenarios for Call of Cthulhu and I also prefer it to The Haunting.  I've run it three time now to introduce new players to the game and as a starting point for Horror on the Orient Express.

Can you give some details on how you connected the two (Edge and Horror)?

#30 BenJoss

BenJoss

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:38 PM

Can you give some details on how you connected the two (Edge and Horror)?

Sure.

I based the game in London, well Essex to be precise and had Rupert as an old colleague and friend of Prof.Smith. The investigators each had their own personal links to Merriweather that gave them a good reason to be involved. This is how Smith got to know the players as a group which of course then gives you the in to Horror.

Obviously the events in Edge open up a window into the Mythos which the players then wanted to follow up.

#31 PRuano

PRuano

Master

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:56 PM

Sure.

I based the game in London, well Essex to be precise and had Rupert as an old colleague and friend of Prof.Smith. The investigators each had their own personal links to Merriweather that gave them a good reason to be involved. This is how Smith got to know the players as a group which of course then gives you the in to Horror.

Obviously the events in Edge open up a window into the Mythos which the players then wanted to follow up.

Thks.

#32 NFVD

NFVD

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:10 AM

Found a website called archve.org that allows people to freely post audio and text files. The link to my game is https://archive.org/...uEdgeOfDarkness
Since thisis only my third game keeping, I implore all the keepers to review my keeping. Thank you for all your posts.

I've heard it. There was something wrong with the recording as towards the last third or so it kept jumping foward and back, but I could stiull follow the story.

Drone, I have to tell you, your players are the dumbest bunch of misfits I've ever heard playing CoC since I ran a scenario were they chose to assault a nest of vampires during the night. :-). Bloodthirsty bunch of bastard too! Shooting the hobo's legs off while he's running?! I like my CoC with guns, but these players are the reason we can't have nice things. :lol:

With such poor clay to mold, don't fret if you feel GM artistry was less good here or there. Time and XP will edge the rough edges.

So...

I was impressed with the chaos that ensued after the creature escaped the burning house. I expected and end and epilogue there but you managed to extend the advemture by 1/4 with that.

I'd recommend getting more proficient with the rules and getting your players to read them. At least the core mechanic and Resistance Table. When action was happening inside the house I couldn't really tell what was going on sometimes or what was being rolled.

You apparently misused my advice to make players say how they knew Merriweather. It was not supposed to sound like an imposition to your players. You should have set the premisse they all knew him and he was a figure they respected for some reason, it was up to the player to come up with a reason that fitted his character, something beyind "I met him at a cafe".

You should have used more sanity rolls. I don't mean purpousefully but there was crap happening that definitively merited it after the house burned down.

Teach your players to describe what their characters want to do and how they want to do it rather than asking "Can I have an ---- roll?". You are the one that should be asking rolls when needed and a smart player doesn't want to roll at all and will try to set his PC's actions in a manner that might avoid the need for one when possible.

Your gaming environment didn't sound optimal. There were third parties talking and cell phones ringing. If possible set the time and location of your sesions to avoid this. Rule that cellphones must be off during the game unless someone is a Paramedic, is waiting for a call from a babysitter or something along those lines.

Skill checks. Did you use them? I honestly can't remember listening any.

That's all I can say for now. If I remember something else I'll let you know. All the best for your next session!

#33 drone232

drone232

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationAlabama, U.S.A

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:50 PM

I've heard it. There was something wrong with the recording as towards the last third or so it kept jumping foward and back, but I could stiull follow the story.

Drone, I have to tell you, your players are the dumbest bunch of misfits I've ever heard playing CoC since I ran a scenario were they chose to assault a nest of vampires during the night:-).  Bloodthirsty bunch of bastard too! Shooting the hobo's legs off while he's running?! I like my CoC with guns, but these players are the reason we can't have nice things. :lol:  

The French antiquarian acquired a shotgun in his first scenario and has gotten quite proficient. He wanted to immobalize the hobo with a gunshot, but non-lethal attacks only work with melees, not guns. 

With such poor clay to mold, don't fret if you feel GM artistry was less good here or there. Time and XP will edge the rough edges.

So...

I was impressed with the chaos that ensued after the creature escaped the burning house. I expected and end and epilogue there but you managed to extend the advemture by 1/4 with that.

I wanted my group to see what they had wrought upon the world because of their insolence. 

I'd recommend getting more proficient with the rules and getting your players to read them. At least the core mechanic and Resistance Table. When action was happening inside the house I couldn't really tell what was going on sometimes or what was being rolled.

Since it was being recorded, I should have been mindful that the listeners can't see the rolls. 

You apparently misused my advice to make players say how they knew Merriweather. It was not supposed to sound like an imposition to your players. You should have set the premisse they all knew him and he was a figure they respected for some reason, it was up to the player to come up with a reason that fitted his character, something beyind "I met him at a cafe".

You should have used more sanity rolls. I don't mean purpousefully but there was crap happening that definitively merited it after the house burned down.

I do agree with that considering seeing an invisible entity eating people can be quite sanity taxing. 

Teach your players to describe what their characters want to do and how they want to do it rather than asking "Can I have an ---- roll?". You are the one that should be asking rolls when needed and a smart player doesn't want to roll at all and will try to set his PC's actions in a manner that might avoid the need for one when possible.

My interpretation of the rules was that players should be the ones asking for rolls as much as possible, but it does make more sense that the players should simply state their actions with me deciding whether or not those actions require a roll. In my second scenario I ran "The Madman" I had players asking for persuasion and fast talk rolls without stating what they were saying or doing, it took the fun out of roleplaying since they weren't roleplaying. 

Your gaming environment didn't sound optimal. There were third parties talking and cell phones ringing. If possible set the time and location of your sesions to avoid this. Rule that cellphones must be off during the game unless someone is a Paramedic, is waiting for a call from a babysitter or something along those lines.

This has been the best gaming environment I've had yet. You have no idea how chaotic and noisy it gets at my house. 

Skill checks. Did you use them? I honestly can't remember listening any.

I forgot to and have yet to still. I will eventually, probably at the beginning of the next scenario. I will have to remember what skills were succesfully used since I several times forgot to ask for check marking skills. 

That's all I can say for now. If I remember something else I'll let you know. All the best for your next session!

Thank you.

#34 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:48 PM

Drone, I have to tell you, your players are the dumbest bunch of misfits I've ever heard playing CoC since...

Please keep it friendly. Thank you.

#35 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • LocationBeyond Time and Space

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:18 AM

In hindsight I should have used a Lorem Ipsum generator and provided handouts with something along the lines of:

<snip>

The handout would, of course, be in barely legible handwriting so that the investigators aren't 100% certain that they're chanting the right words (but that goes without saying).

That is absolutely brilliant -- and thank you for the link; I hadn't seen this particular generator before. You just made my day! My poor players are going to be pulling their hair out from now on when they try a spell, thanks to you!!! :-P

Imagine having to repeat five paragraphs of nonsense "Latin," delivered if crappy handwriting, in order to cast a spell, all the while hoping they can get it done before they get eaten/driven insane/arrested! BWAHAHAHAHAHA

#36 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:30 AM

Sadly, I've never played Edge, but having read through this, I must say it sounds well worth the time and attention, and glancing it over, it does seem like a much superior way to get a group of Investigators together that have never "met" before -- at least compared with the usual lamery about "you are all with the Puckwiler Detective Agency," "you all work for the renowned Professor Puckwiler," or "you, an elf, and a dwarf meet in a tavern..." (oh, wait, that last was from a different RPG!)  :oops:

Fortunately, I have a brand new group of "virgins" (people who not only have never played an RPG together before, but haven't even ever read anything by HPL) forming who should be perfect for this.... 

Edited by jlynn, 18 March 2015 - 04:30 AM.

#37 Fabio

Fabio

Master

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorth London, UK

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:53 AM

After many decades, since I last ran or played Call of Cthulhu, I will be running an introductory scenario for a new group.

I was going to run "The Haunting" (which I last did I the 1980's), however wanting to make a great first impression to my players & seeing this topic. I will be running "Edge" ( 2nd September, 2017).

Hopefully this scenario will cement the group & be start of a beautiful friendship.

If it's really good, I might run it again (in October) in my local games shop, here in London.

#38 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:58 PM

Though, to be fair, I think The Haunting just got a lot more useful as a starting scenario if you backed the The Star on the Shore Kickstarter and also picked up their expansion for The Haunting, called Dark Haunting.  It kicks The Haunting up a notch, and ties it much more firmly into the Starry Wisdom cult, as well as being extremely dangerous.  It also serves as a lead-in to The Star on the Shore, but you can manipulate it to lead into just about any campaign you like, given the way it's restructured.  Still, as a one-shot intro scenario, I have to say that Edge of Darkness still looks like the best choice!

Alas, my newbie group never formed, so I never got to run Edge, but I'm keeping it in reserve, right now, just in case...

(If I were launching a new group today, I'd probably go with Edge for their first scenario, and then pull them into the new Haunting which could lead them to many different places!)

#39 Untouchable

Untouchable

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:32 PM

I used Edge of Darkness as my starting scenario for a new group, as (IMHO) it was the best of all the others that I read for getting a group together, plausibly. All gathering at a death bed is perfect, as you can bring in PCs from all corners of the globe, if need be. Then, after they run through the scenario, you can go from there, as surely the PC that is "next up" for something weird happening, will call their "fellows" that were just involved with something "strange". Works like a charm.

I then used The Haunting as my second scenario. But, as was mentioned about the new KS that I backed as well, I'm anxious to see the new tie-in material for The Haunting (very anxious).

Love the mumbo-jumbo chanting bit, and will use it for my new CoC group that should be staring this year.

#40 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:10 PM

If you backed the Star on the Shore, and added the Dark Haunting scenario, you should already have the new material.  My hard copies arrived over a month ago.  You might want to contact the Kickstarter creator and follow up if you still haven't gotten yours.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoC 1-6e