#41 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationPalm Bay, Florida

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:28 PM

You could try Yhidra. She has a sacred site in Laos.

Hmmm...I'll have to check up on her.

The only write-up of Chaugner Faugn I remember was a particularly deadly pair of scenarios featuring him in Curse of the Cthonians, so he clearly hasn't been as overused as, say, "The King in Yellow" has lately!  ;-)

Though while I fully understand where that perception of Yig as a SW US kind of thing comes from ("The Mound"), the "Father of Serpents" would presumably be found anywhere there were serpents, so there wouldn't be anything inherently wrong with using him in the Mekong, or the Namibian karoo for that matter!  Either way though, I have to tell you I'm really looking forward to seeing this Yig campaign whereof you speak!

There is an excellent write up on Chaugnar Faugn in Horror's Heart the campaign set in Montreal.
http://www.yog-sotho...rt_(Supplement)

#42 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:36 PM

It would help if I spelled Yidhra correctly. Sorry!
My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#43 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • LocationBeyond Time and Space

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:48 PM

There is an excellent write up on Chaugnar Faugn in Horror's Heart the campaign set in Montreal.
http://www.yog-sotho...rt_(Supplement)

How embarrassing!  I actually own Horror's Heart and had completely forgotten about it!  :-)  Of course, in my defense, I haven't read it in about 20 years!

I'm intrigued by Yidhra, though.  Not only has she not been "done" much (or, as far as I can tell, at all), but she fits right into that area (though, like Yig, she seems to frequent the desert southwest too).  Plus, in her avatar as Madame Yi, she has extensive cults in China (which, if you focus on the area around Chungking, also fits in nicely with the SE Asia jungle theme and the Tcho-Tcho who supposedly inhabit those mountains as well).  That gives you some more room to explore, and since all of those rivers flow out of the mountains near Tibet, if you pursue the Tcho-Tcho connection into Tibet, you've got more than one angle of attack here.

Given her noted preferences for Laos, China, Mexico, SW Texas and Chad, I can even see the possibility of a globe-trotting campaign there!

Edited by jlynn, 15 March 2015 - 05:50 PM.

#44 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:16 AM

How embarrassing!  I actually own Horror's Heart and had completely forgotten about it!  :-)  Of course, in my defense, I haven't read it in about 20 years!

I'm intrigued by Yidhra, though.  Not only has she not been "done" much (or, as far as I can tell, at all), but she fits right into that area (though, like Yig, she seems to frequent the desert southwest too).  Plus, in her avatar as Madame Yi, she has extensive cults in China (which, if you focus on the area around Chungking, also fits in nicely with the SE Asia jungle theme and the Tcho-Tcho who supposedly inhabit those mountains as well).  That gives you some more room to explore, and since all of those rivers flow out of the mountains near Tibet, if you pursue the Tcho-Tcho connection into Tibet, you've got more than one angle of attack here.

Given her noted preferences for Laos, China, Mexico, SW Texas and Chad, I can even see the possibility of a globe-trotting campaign there!

I also thought her cult had a presence in Mesopotamia.

I am just surprised how little is set in Southeast Asia. I think if I have some time this summer, I'll work on creating a monograph.

A capital idea!

Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#45 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationSerpent-haunted Ehssi-Keh, beside the Lake of the Mound

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:03 AM

Okay, I know there are a number of Vietnam era, especially for Delta Green, adventures set in South East Asia.

However, my group is headed to Indochina, specifically Saigon, to track down a missing relative and investigate Tcho-Tcho being brought into the US by a deceased distant relative.

They have uncovered a possible connection between the Tcho-Tcho they encountered in Louisiana and Chaugnar Faugn, but also a possible link to the King in Yellow.

A voyage across the Pacific is underway, with one small ship board adventure already finished.

Now they are going to arrive in New Zealand or Australia before transferring to a ship headed to Saigon.

So, besides Terror Australis (for their brief stop down under), are there any other adventures or possible source material for adventuring in French Indochina during the early 1920s?

Anything for the South Pacific I could easily convert? I don't want to steal the Shanghai part of Masks because they may run through that campaign at some point.

As others have pointed out, there really isn't much Indo-Chinese RPG material out there. However, if you ever thought about doing a full campaign and wanted to research...

http://www.amazon.co...stone of heaven

http://www.amazon.co...=trouser people

Burma was still a very "unknown land" in the '20s. I can vouch for the quality of both books.  The Stone of Heaven brings you up to about the year 2000. 

#46 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:37 AM

As others have pointed out, there really isn't much Indo-Chinese RPG material out there. However, if you ever thought about doing a full campaign and wanted to research...

http://www.amazon.co...stone of heaven

http://www.amazon.co...=trouser people

Burma was still a very "unknown land" in the '20s. I can vouch for the quality of both books.  The Stone of Heaven brings you up to about the year 2000. 

Thanks for the links!

I'm a teaching a course this summer on the Vietnam War (1964-1975) so I should also be able to get some research done under the guise of actually doing course prep.

As I said, I can understand the interest for the 1960s, but the earlier period would be interesting too.

I'll dig more into Yidhra and go from there. The connection to the Tcho-Tcho is always a good one. Especially since the players are looking for a Chinese woman living in Saigon who they have a portrait of, but only know by the name, "Mrs. Chin." Which, honestly, isn't much help, but with the portrait should help. The connection to China is a good one, and may allow me to drag out my course materials on China during the 1920s and make use of the Shanghai chapter from Masks.

#47 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:03 AM

I also thought her cult had a presence in Mesopotamia.

If so, it must be mentioned somewhere other than either the Creature Companion or Malleus Monstrorum, though the MM entry does say "...among other places," so I suppose you could add in anywhere you liked.  From the description, she does seem to be more centered on east Asia than anywhere else though (at least, they spend the most time talking about her in relation to that area).

(Edited to add:  Actually, adding in Mesopotamia would be a nice touch, if you wanted to pursue the globe trotting campaign part of the concept -- it's a nice intermediate stop between Chad and the east Asian parts of the world!)

Edited by jlynn, 16 March 2015 - 04:17 AM.

#48 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:14 AM

I'll dig more into Yidhra and go from there. The connection to the Tcho-Tcho is always a good one. Especially since the players are looking for a Chinese woman living in Saigon who they have a portrait of, but only know by the name, "Mrs. Chin." Which, honestly, isn't much help, but with the portrait should help. The connection to China is a good one, and may allow me to drag out my course materials on China during the 1920s and make use of the Shanghai chapter from Masks.

There's also the scenario "Shanghai Bullets" from Stunning Eldritch Tales (for Trail of Cthulhu) -- which would allow you to throw a Shanghai based scenario at them with plenty of opportunities for cameo appearances by "The Stumbling Tiger Bar" or "Ho Fong Imports" without necessarily showing anything you might use later in Masks, if you want something different in Shanghai.  This particular scenario does a pretty good job of giving a taste of the kind of convoluted shenanigans going on in Shanghai in the Twenties and Thirties.  (In fact, if you pulled the Mythos parts and replaced them with a more prosaic murder mystery, you'd have a pretty good 1930's movie on your hands, a la Maltese Falcon, or The Thin Man!)

As for Burma, about the only thing I remember about it before WWII, is that Kipling based some (not very many) of his tales there, and it was a place that the Dacoits were from in the Fu Manchu books (which may or may not be a matter of strict historical fact).  To me, it looks like another completely untapped region, chock full of possibilities!

#49 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:22 PM

There's also the scenario "Shanghai Bullets" from Stunning Eldritch Tales (for Trail of Cthulhu) -- which would allow you to throw a Shanghai based scenario at them with plenty of opportunities for cameo appearances by "The Stumbling Tiger Bar" or "Ho Fong Imports" without necessarily showing anything you might use later in Masks, if you want something different in Shanghai.  This particular scenario does a pretty good job of giving a taste of the kind of convoluted shenanigans going on in Shanghai in the Twenties and Thirties.  (In fact, if you pulled the Mythos parts and replaced them with a more prosaic murder mystery, you'd have a pretty good 1930's movie on your hands, a la Maltese Falcon, or The Thin Man!)

As for Burma, about the only thing I remember about it before WWII, is that Kipling based some (not very many) of his tales there, and it was a place that the Dacoits were from in the Fu Manchu books (which may or may not be a matter of strict historical fact).  To me, it looks like another completely untapped region, chock full of possibilities!

There is also the sourcebook for Tibet too, but I have the monograph as well as the Tibet book, and both read as better materials for Gaslight then they do for the 1920s.

I am surprised no one really has tried to put together a 1920s China or Japan sourcebook, never mind Southeast Asia. Yes, there is the Secrets of Japan book, but that is more modern era than historical (but enough of it works for historical that I am not really complaining). Sure they are big undertakings, but we have lots of scholars among Cthulhu fans.

Heck we have books on Kenya and Morocco, places I hadn't even thought about setting stuff there until the books came along (well, outside of a Gaslight campaign) and yet there have been more than a handful of adventures set throughout Africa up to this point as well.

Edited by Lammomedes, 16 March 2015 - 09:45 PM.

#50 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:19 PM

There is also the sourcebook for Tibet too, but I have the monograph as well as the Tibet book, and both read as better materials for Gaslight then they do for the 1920s.

I am surprised no one really has tried to put together a 1920s China or Japan sourcebook, never mind Southeast Asia. Play, there is the Secrets of Japan book, but that is more modern era than historical (but enough of it works for historical that I am not really complaining). Sure they are big undertakings, but we have lots of scholars among Cthulhu fans.

Heck we have books on Kenya and Morocco, places I hadn't even thought about setting stuff there until the books came along (well, outside of a Gaslight campaign) and yet there have been more than a handful of adventures set throughout Africa up to this point as well.

Well, technologically speaking Tibet was pretty behind the times.  But I won't disagree with you.  The monographs on the Sudan and the Raj are set in the Gaslight era, but easily enough updated for the 20's.  I agree that it's sort of sad there isn't something done up on SE Asia, China or Japan for the 20's, and there are only one or two scenarios dealing with Japan in the 20s at all (I'm thinking of AOC's Dream of Japan primarily, but I think there was at least one more done quite some time ago by Chaosium, though I may be misremembering that).  In a way, that's quite a pity, because in the '20s, there was still some doubt that Japan would wind up a military dictatorship, and you'd think that some series of scenarios set there could help explain that outcome in Mythos terms!  ;-)

While there has always been a focus on producing actual scenarios as opposed to pure background information, it does seem odd that in 34 years there haven't been more regions of the world (and, for that matter, cities) done up as source-books.  Between Chaosium's Monographs, Pagan's willingness to go strange places, Sixtystone Press, and Golden Goblin Press there are plenty of companies publishing Mythos gaming material who might consider a well-done regional or city source book.

#51 Taavi

Taavi

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • LocationPnakotus, Australia

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:30 AM

You might find Bryan Thao Warra's Mythos-inspired Laotian poetry and fiction (or Laos-inspired Mythos poetry and fiction, depending) helpful.

"Brainstorming DG/COC things without you would be like trying to hunt badgers with a borzoi." - Panchakahq Avatar from Habitica.com. RPGamify your life today!

#52 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:17 PM

You might find Bryan Thao Warra's Mythos-inspired Laotian poetry and fiction (or Laos-inspired Mythos poetry and fiction, depending) helpful.

I'll look into it. Thanks for the heads up!

#53 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:25 AM

I agree that it's sort of sad there isn't something done up on SE Asia, China or Japan for the 20's, and there are only one or two scenarios dealing with Japan in the 20s at all (I'm thinking of AOC's Dream of Japan primarily, but I think there was at least one more done quite some time ago by Chaosium, though I may be misremembering that).  In a way, that's quite a pity, because in the '20s, there was still some doubt that Japan would wind up a military dictatorship, and you'd think that some series of scenarios set there could help explain that outcome in Mythos terms!  ;-)

The closest to a sourcebook for Imperial Japan in the 1920s and 1930s is the old sourcebook for WEG's version of Indian Jones. One is for sale at Noble Knight.
https://www.noblekni...12_A_GenreID_E_

Also:

http://indianajones...._the_Rising_Sun

Edited by Lammomedes, 18 March 2015 - 01:28 AM.

#54 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:47 AM

Hmm.  Thanks for the tip -- I never even knew West End had done an Indiana Jones thing.  I was aware of TSR's (because my brother gave me the game for Christmas one year), but I never followed it up either.

The Rising Sun book could be a useful resource!

Edited by jlynn, 18 March 2015 - 03:53 AM.

#55 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:39 PM

Hmm.  Thanks for the tip -- I never even knew West End had done an Indiana Jones thing.  I was aware of TSR's (because my brother gave me the game for Christmas one year), but I never followed it up either.

The Rising Sun book could be a useful resource!

I ordered a fairly cheap used copy from Noble Knight (via Amazon) so I should know sometime in the next few weeks (LOL).

Anyway, I forgot there was the Japan sourcebook for the IJ game. I used to own it (it was part of their Masterbook system) and I ran a few adventures with the game back in the mid 1990s. I liked it, but it was always hard getting together a group because when people found out they weren't going to be playing Indiana Jones himself, they didn't want to play. So in every game, there was an Ohio Smith, just to make at least one of the players "happy."

Edited by Lammomedes, 18 March 2015 - 12:40 PM.

#56 Necrothesp

Necrothesp

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:42 PM

"Songs of the Fantari" from Fatal Experiments takes place in a small Greek island. I think it is a "isolated locals with dark secrets" type of scenario.

Perhaps it could be adapted from the mediterranean to an island somewhere in the South Pacific?  

Actually it's an Italian island.

See my blog on all things legal in CoC: The Law of Cthulhu

#57 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:42 PM

@Lammomedes:

Hah!  So did I -- and I was going to say the same thing; I'll let you know in a few weeks!  :-)

I had the same experience with TSR's Adventures of Indiana Jones -- no one wanted to be a "sidekick."  The one time I did manage to play it, I ran it more like CoC for Archaeologists -- a bunch of newbies in the field getting together and getting tossed into an "Indiana Jones" style adventure (with no Indiana Jones, or at best a cameo appearance early on to help them find a clue or something), only instead of Mythos creatures, they were after an artifact and confronted by cultists, Nazis, gangsters, a Chinese tong, and so on.  Very pulpy.  It lasted for a few sessions, but then everyone kind of wanted to get back to CoC because they enjoyed the cosmic horror theme more than the more classic pulp theme and so we launched MoN (this was in early to mid '84, and shortly thereafter I headed off to the USAF, so we only got through the NYC chapter of Masks with that group).

Edited by jlynn, 18 March 2015 - 04:43 PM.

#58 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:02 PM

Actually it's an Italian island.

Does that matter?

#59 skaye

skaye

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:17 PM

You might be able to use the Children of Madam Yi from Unspeakable Oath #22 and there may or may not be useful information on Madam Yi in Strange Aeons 2. DeBill's own fiction, which introduced Yidhra, the Black Sutra of U Pao, etc. is available at http://www.lybrary.c...s-p-351948.html and doubtless other places.

#60 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:53 PM

That's one problem I'm having.  Again and again I find out there are highly germane bits of information out there in some magazine that I can't get a copy of for love or money.  (Yes, I missed about 20 years worth of stuff thanks to various wars and other distractions.)  I've managed to collect some of the Unspeakable Oaths, but Strange Aeons, I never even heard of until now.  *sigh*

But thanks for the tip, now I'll have to see if I can find a copy of the article or acquire a copy of the magazine!  ;-)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jazz Age