Photo
- - - - -

Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion Kickstarter now live!

Fundraiser

• Please log in to reply
761 replies to this topic

#741 DadsAngry

DadsAngry

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:41 PM

You make it sound like the book is 800+ pages filled with walls of three column text at 10/12 point type. Perhaps you have never seen the PDF? The PDF is very easy to digest as it is broken into small section. It uses a two column grid filled with more images than copy. It's just a giant sourcebook and not a novel needed to read through. Each chapter of the MoN campaign is broken down into chapters in the MoNC. From there each chapter if further broken down to element within the chapter. It could focus on an encounter with a key NPC or it could be just more information about an item. Personal the best way to use the MoNC is to print out the pages that you might need to reference in game. Don't let the size of the book fool you. It's an easy read and once the final PDF comes out with bookmarks it will be easier to use at the table than the book itself.

Edited by DadsAngry, 06 September 2017 - 06:42 PM.

#742 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBeyond Time and Space

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

It sounds more like leothescarlet is like me -- prefers dead tree copies of things whenever possible.  That being the case leo, can you check into the possibility of having a local printer print the PDF for you?  You'd probably need to pop for hardback binding, since at 800 pages it's a little much for softcover, but it might be worth it in this case.  And while PoC rightfully noted that the new version of MoN is supposed to address the most egregious issues regarding the actual playing of the game, the material in the Companion covers so much more (and has more than just one new scenario for possible use, along with suggestions for incorporating many others if the Keeper and players so desire), that it would still be well worth your time, effort and expense to do so, I'd think.  But again, it would depend on what the capabilities of the local printers actually are...

#743 Taavi

Taavi

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • LocationPnakotus, Australia

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:49 AM

A (very positive!) review of the Companion is now up on the Lovecraft ezine site: http://lovecraftzine...anion-a-review/

Can I urge anyone else who might feel moved to do so to write a review? Since the Companion is now available for purchase by the general public in pdf from Chaosium, and since 90% of the proceeds go to yog-sothoth.com, there's no reason not to do so. By all accounts reviews really boost sales, but even rpg.net doesn't have any up yet.

An update on Walkabout

I am still working on something else, which I aim to finish in the next three months or so. So I will be coming back to Walkabout in the new year.

However, since there aren't any confidentiality agreements or similar, it's my scenario, and I will be looking for playtesters (my group having fallen apart, again) I thought I would share with you all the outline of the scenario (google doc). Comments most welcome, offers to playtest even more so.

"Brainstorming DG/COC things without you would be like trying to hunt badgers with a borzoi." - Panchakahq Avatar from Habitica.com. RPGamify your life today!

#744 leothescarlet

leothescarlet

Neophyte

• 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:17 AM

You make it sound like the book is 800+ pages filled with walls of three column text at 10/12 point type. Perhaps you have never seen the PDF? The PDF is very easy to digest as it is broken into small section. It uses a two column grid filled with more images than copy. It's just a giant sourcebook and not a novel needed to read through. Each chapter of the MoN campaign is broken down into chapters in the MoNC. From there each chapter if further broken down to element within the chapter. It could focus on an encounter with a key NPC or it could be just more information about an item. Personal the best way to use the MoNC is to print out the pages that you might need to reference in game. Don't let the size of the book fool you. It's an easy read and once the final PDF comes out with bookmarks it will be easier to use at the table than the book itself.

Thanks for your suggestion, you actually got a point. It may be easier to use. I love books, and when I run the campagin for real I will consider purchasing the PDF if there is no other options. And the bonus is 90% of the money goes back to the community. 

It sounds more like leothescarlet is like me -- prefers dead tree copies of things whenever possible.  That being the case leo, can you check into the possibility of having a local printer print the PDF for you?  You'd probably need to pop for hardback binding, since at 800 pages it's a little much for softcover, but it might be worth it in this case.  And while PoC rightfully noted that the new version of MoN is supposed to address the most egregious issues regarding the actual playing of the game, the material in the Companion covers so much more (and has more than just one new scenario for possible use, along with suggestions for incorporating many others if the Keeper and players so desire), that it would still be well worth your time, effort and expense to do so, I'd think.  But again, it would depend on what the capabilities of the local printers actually are...

But...I still love the feel of a big book. And that is possibly another solution, finding a local printer. I wonder if the demand of the book is so great why the community do not consider reprinting it? Surly they can sell. In Hong Kong it may be easier to find a printer than a group of investigators actually. 

Edited by leothescarlet, 07 September 2017 - 04:19 AM.

#745 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,419 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:22 AM

I wonder if the demand of the book is so great why the community do not consider reprinting it?

It's a licensed Call of Cthulhu product and therefore subject to Chaosium's terms. It was kindly granted a very special dispensation at the time of the Kickstarter as, due to its long history, the beast that is the MoNC was already formatted for 6th edition Call of Cthulhu and all new materials by that point were supposed to be for 7th edition.

Chaosium have said that the new (7e) edition of Masks of Nyarlathotep (due this year) will address issues covered in the Companion in Chaosium's own way, so a MoNC re-issue in an updated print format would seem unlikely.

#746 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

In Hong Kong it may be easier to find a printer than a group of investigators actually.

If it helps convince you to get it, the MoNC is the first Call of Cthulhu product to examine Hong Kong in detail - it has its own section in the China chapter.

My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#747 kaisharga

kaisharga

Master

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:29 PM

The dreaded time has come unfortunately and the front cover has come apart from the rest of the book. Inside the book, after the second blank page, the first pages have come apart from the rest of the whole bunch of pages that still holds together .

Any idea how I can repair it to further prevent the damage ?

Thanks in advance

#748 DadsAngry

DadsAngry

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:31 PM

Wow that's horrible. Was is a softcover or hardcover?

#749 kaisharga

kaisharga

Master

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:50 PM

Hardcover unfortunately. I'm thinking of giving it to some publisher here in case they can repair the damage . It's really sad that it couldn't hold much, even though it's that big and heavy.

Edit: a picture of the happenstance http://imgur.com/fv2XP18

Edited by kaisharga, 08 September 2017 - 04:27 PM.

#750 Black-Seal-Editor

Black-Seal-Editor

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:46 PM

A corrected and bookmarked PDF has been uploaded to DTRPG so all KS backers can download it.

If you cannot see the file in your library do the following:

• Click on the 'My Library' tab.
  • In the second text search field, type "masks of nyarlathotep companion" and press Return.
  • All the files for the MONC should appear in the Results field at the bottom.
  • The latest PDF filename is: 60-MONC-OmegaBM-170917.pdf
  • Download the updated file.

Chaosium will be getting a similar bookmarked version shortly. Getting the updated file from Chaosium will be different to that listed above.

Edited by Black-Seal-Editor, 17 September 2017 - 06:00 PM.

Adam Crossingham
Publisher & Editor-in-Chief
Sixtystone Press Limited

#751 grodog

grodog

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas, USA

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:10 AM

If I was going to print the PDF, rather than binding it into one giant book, I would print it into 7 or 8 smaller booklets---one for each of the six MoN chapter/site locations (NYC, London, Kenya, Shanghai, Cairo, Australia), with a seventh booklet for the introductory materials, and perhaps an eighth for the concluding materials (but I might just combine this together with the introductory materials in a single volume, too).  That way you each chapter's Companion content would be easily available for use with its relevant MoN chapter. 

Allan.

grodog
----
Allan Grohe
Editor, Different Worlds Publications
http://www.diffworlds.com/

grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/
http://www.greyhawko...g/greyhawk.html for my Greyhawk site

#752 wharfedalehome

wharfedalehome

Master

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:32 AM

hi Kaisharga... that is really annoying because it was quite expensive wasn't it? However there are alternative (and better) options for you. 

The product you have bought is not as advertised by the Vendor and so it is not fit for purpose. Vendors (publishers in this case) have a legal duty to provide a product that is "fit for purpose". In this case that means a book that opens and closes repeatedly without disintegrating - because that's what books need to do to function properly. So I suggest you send the photo to the Kickstarter people / or Chaosium (whoever you bought it from) and tell them that the product is "not fit for purpose". You will need to give them an estimate of how often you've used it to avaoi the "fair wear and tear" defence they may say applies. However it seems clear from the contexct (ie: the book is only a few weeks old) that this is not the case and should reasonably be expected to withstand many years of reasonable use - not a week or two.

Request that they (your choice from the following):

1) Refund you your full monies (practical but it leaves you without the book you want), or...

2) Provide a replacement copy (there may be none left though so this option may not be practical either), or...

3) Agree to pay for professional binding of a PDF file so that they undertake to pay the bills you send them after binding completed (I suggest that this is the best practical solution in the circumstances, although far from ideal).

They may counter offer something else - discount on future products, good will gesture but not a full refund etc. You can accept this of course but you're not legally obliged to do so and given the monies (and disappointment) involved I would not accept any alternative to one of the 3 options above.

Good luck.

Tim

#753 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:07 PM

If I was going to print the PDF, rather than binding it into one giant book, I would print it into 7 or 8 smaller booklets---one for each of the six MoN chapter/site locations (NYC, London, Kenya, Shanghai, Cairo, Australia), with a seventh booklet for the introductory materials, and perhaps an eighth for the concluding materials (but I might just combine this together with the introductory materials in a single volume, too).  That way you each chapter's Companion content would be easily available for use with its relevant MoN chapter. 

Allan.

That sounds eminently sensible to me -- after all, the original MoN boxed set was printed in precisely the same way!  ;-)

Slightly off topic, I ran across a book on RPGNow called "Old Shanghai."  It also has a few expansion booklets available, including one on "artifacts" which might very well be an excellent source of additional adventures above and beyond MoN things.  It goes into immense detail on Shanghai in the 20's and 30's (actually 1919 to 1937), and would probably be of enormous interest to anyone playing CoC, much less MoN.  It has a lot of factions and whatnot in it and is written as a "system neutral" book, so it should be very useful without a lot of distracting stat blocks.  I'm in the process of reading it now, so can't give you more than my immediate impression, but so far it looks outstanding and should help me enormously with evoking the spirit and atmosphere of Shanghai.

#754 wharfedalehome

wharfedalehome

Master

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:02 PM

hi Jlynn... I love Old Shanghai. A very pulpy feel and it seems well researched. I've compared it with "real" history of China, especially Shanghai, for the period of the 1930s and it seems both accurate and atmospheric. Like yourself, I will use it to flesh out the Shanghai chapter of MoN and I think it's perfect for the job. Worthy though MoN Companion is, and it is good, Old Shanghai is even better for this. I was planning to run MoN with my partner as part of the Player Group, but there's a problem.... While new to RPGing she isn't new to China. In fact she would regard herself as an old(ish) China hand and would prefer the whole game be set in China. So maybe it won't be MoN after all. Old Shanghai has plenty of material to start a fully fledged Oriental campaign set in the Paris of the East, although admittedly not Chthulhoid based. So a galaxy of opportunities awaits...

To anybody who hasn't seen Old Shanghai, give it a once over. It's great background. You can get it at RPGNow (as JLynn says) or here:

http://www.drivethru...st=&pfrom=&pto=

Have fun!

Tim

#755 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:51 AM

Well, that's a pretty enthusiastic endorsement!  And, from my reading thus far, he ain't wrong! 

I was actually thinking it would both really help flesh out an area of the world that I am sadly not very familiar with for MoN, and could also would serve as a great resource to launch a Far Eastern CoC campaign!  I've always thought that China and/or mainland Asia could use a good source book of the "Mysteries of ..." kind; or even two separate ones (one for China, and one for SE Asia).

However, having said all of that, it's time to go back to the primary topic of the thread; the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion!  ;-)

#756 littleo

littleo

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:57 PM

Pulp Egypt from Griffon Publishing is also very good when combined with the companion chapter for Cairo.

M

#757 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:49 PM

That's a very good point, and, of course, if anyone has it (or can acquire a copy) the Cairo Guidebook is very useful as well.  I will also mention, in passing that Ken Hite wrote up something for pulp play called Tombhounds of Egypt which is based off the same system used in Trail of Cthulhu and can be useful for both atmosphere and some ideas for a Cairo-based campaign.  (And PoC and someone else previously mentioned Amelia Peabody's Egypt as a good source book -- which I have since acquired and can definitely agree that it is.)

I would like to note that it's past time for Chaosium to consider updating things like the Cairo Guidebook, however!  ;-)

Also, on the London chapter, I can't recommend Cubicle 7's Cthulhu Britannica: London highly enough.  It's a superb boxed set giving some wonderful background info and a LOT of detail on day-to-day life, historical events, myths and legends, etc., all of which will add some superb atmosphere to your London adventures.  And the maps are fantastic!  Of course, there is also the older London Guidebook and Green and Pleasant Land (which has a brief description of London, among many other places). Finally, there is Pagan Publishing's Bookhounds of London, a campaign setting for Trail of Cthulhu, which, while grittier than some, does have a lot of interesting information in it as well.  It should be noted however that there is a lot of overlap among all these sources; so if I had to recommend but one, it would be Cthulhu Britannica: London as a primary source book.

As far as New York goes, of course, there is Secrets of New York, which is helpful, and Tales of the Sleepless City (Miskatonic Press) adds a bit of depth to the city -- as well as a number of scenarios that might conceivably be adapted for use in the campaign as well.

If you're considering playing the "pre-scenario" where the players meet Jack in Latin America, I can recommend Pagan Publishing's The Mysteries of Mesoamerica as a good source book (not "superb," but definitely quite good).  And, at least one of the scenarios would be easily used for the same purpose (introducing Jack to the players) as the one included in the Companion, if you wanted to throw a curve ball at anyone who has read the Companion already.

Edited by jlynn, 21 September 2017 - 05:51 PM.

#758 littleo

littleo

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:10 PM

Is the Secrets of Kenya book a good supplement for the Kenya chapter?

M

#759 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

M

That was one of its design goals. It's quite thorough although the adventures weren't to my taste.

Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#760 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:17 PM

M

Yes, and it was specifically written with MoN in mind.  Though I agree with rlyehNC above -- most of the scenarios weren't precisely my cup of tea (and I probably wouldn't try to integrate them into MoN in any way).  It's a pretty thorough job of discussing 1920's and '30's Kenya, though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fundraiser