Photo
- - - - -

Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion Kickstarter now live!

Fundraiser

• Please log in to reply
761 replies to this topic

#41 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,419 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:47 AM

Having run crowd funders before, I personally agree with those sentiments!

#42 TheHistorian

TheHistorian

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:49 AM

Agreed.  Stretch goals are the cause of many projects being delivered late.  And even if they cause the final amount raised to be greater, when divided by the amount of extra work, they may actually make a project less profitable.

I'm not in Brett's league, but I'm around 50 projects backed, in many categories.  Gaming ones seem to have more bloat and generally run later than, say, electronic gadgets.

#43 tgaitskell

tgaitskell

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationLewes, UK

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:56 AM

Sigh. Having taken my eye off the ball, I've missed out on the Bloody Tongue edition again.

Whilst I appreciate that some people want this edition to be very very exclusive, I also appreciate that this has been a project that has instilled significant interest in YSDC members, and given that a large proportion of the funding is going to YSDC, why don't you ask us, the Yoggies, if we're interested. Run a poll and gauge interest - There's ample time, and think of the extra income for our beloved site.

Indeed, I have now put up a YSDC MONC edition poll:

http://www.yog-sotho...-poll/?p=295622

Edited by tgaitskell, 10 February 2015 - 12:10 PM.

#44 xRalphx

xRalphx

Master

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:07 PM

Will the regular unlimited versions be available as an add-on at some point ? Just in case you want to have a black pharaoh in addition to a bloody tongue.

RPGames.be, covering roleplaying games in Belgium.

#45 Afraid of the dark

Afraid of the dark

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:24 PM

Ralph, with most of these, you just make your pledge higher to accommodate the other item that you want. I can actually hover over, and possibly select that reward, so I just assume that you buy it as you did the other one.

Please have a read of the game "The Sanitarium," on my Blog. Say what you think!

#46 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:48 PM

Just a quick note to add that Adam has made available Version 0.9 of the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion to all backers of the Kickstarter campaign.

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#47 cpt_machine

cpt_machine

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationDoncaster, UK

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:25 PM

The last few kickstarter a I have backed were RPG products with limited stretch goals. Maybe adding a few extra pages of content. I don't think every campaign needs extras like tokens, dice, bags etc.

I'm happy to say I backed this kickstarter and if my budget allows I may upgrade from softback to hardback towards the end.
"I have always been my own teacher, and I must confess I am also my favorite pupil"
-Lestat

Captain Machine's UK Gaming Vlog
www.youtube.com/cptmachine

#48 Afraid of the dark

Afraid of the dark

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:02 PM

tgaitskell, I can see where you are coming from, but they've basically tied themselves into it now.  Plus there are likely to be contractual obligations as well. Plus, people have already gone in on the fact that only so many limited copies were available. If then more limited copies pop up, it's a bit of a cash in.

Edited by Afraid of the dark, 12 February 2015 - 07:12 PM.

Please have a read of the game "The Sanitarium," on my Blog. Say what you think!

#49 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBeyond Time and Space

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:43 PM

Actually, my comment on the stretch goals was more a combination joke and cheer for how well they've been doing on the Kickstarter, but whatever.

Edited by jlynn, 12 February 2015 - 07:45 PM.

#50 Emrys

Emrys

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, UK

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:28 PM

Ralph, with most of these, you just make your pledge higher to accommodate the other item that you want.

While that's often the case, I'd be very wary about making any assumptions.

I asked the very same question through the KS website back on 8th Feb but have yet to see a reply.

I can actually hover over, and possibly select that reward, so I just assume that you buy it as you did the other one.

If you choose a different pledge level then KS will change your pledge level, not add another level to an existing pledge. The KS site just isn't set up for pledging at multiple levels.
Nightmares in Norfolk did come back, albeit briefly, with a brand new group of investigators! Why not visit and see if you see when I went wrong (and, for the love of Dagon, comment)?

#51 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:43 PM

If you choose a different pledge level then KS will change your pledge level, not add another level to an existing pledge. The KS site just isn't set up for pledging at multiple levels.

Just FYI, I created a separate Kickstarter account using a secondary e-mail for the MoN Props Kickstarter back in December.  That worked just fine as far as the pledging went, but unless your secondary e-mail is completely separate from your primary e-mail (definitely NOT the case with Yahoo aliases, BTW), you won't be able to answer both end-of-Kickstarter surveys.  In that case, you'll need to make sure you are in close touch with the Kickstarter creator and that s/he knows what you are doing and understands that both of your accounts are actually yours.  Fortunately Ben Patey was very, very supportive of me doing things this way (and, in fact, generally -- his was the best Kickstarter I've participated in to date in that area), and was very clear that he understood who both of my aliases were on Kickstarter.  Of course the proof will be during the actual shipping (which may even be underway as I write this), but I have every confidence that Ben will do a great job.

So that's one technique that worked for me.  As my one learning point, if I were to do it again, I'd probably use a g-mail address or something for my second account to avoid any possible confusion on the fulfillment side of the program.

#52 Afraid of the dark

Afraid of the dark

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:35 PM

Ah, you both raise very interesting points there.

#53 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:50 PM

You can listen to Adam Crossingham speaking about this Kickstarter in an interview with The Good Friends of Jackson Elias podcast. We discuss the development of the book, the stretch goals and Kickstarter. The episode includes a general discussion of the campaign along with some anecdotes. There is also an interview with another guest who speaks enthusiastically about his experience running the whole campaign using the Companion and the 7th edition rules.

You can find the show at:

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias : a Podcast about Call of Cthulhu.

#54 SJE

SJE

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:52 PM

There is also an interview with another guest who speaks enthusiastically about his experience running the whole campaign using the Companion and the 7th edition rules.

You can find the show at:

I was the other guest- thanks for having me on Paul/Scott/Matt. :)

And I realise that I never said a heartfelt thank you to all the writers and editors who created the Companion and to YSDC for hosting this great resource and letting me download it for free. Very much appreciated and made a huge difference in my game.

Running Curse of Nineveh. Survivor of Horror on the Orient Express @ GenCon2013. Keepered Beyond the Lighthouse of Madness, Shadows of Yog Sothoth: Fight Club, and Innsmouth, Masks of Nyarlathotep in London, World War Cthulhu - Saint Cernouf Sandbox

#55 Black-Seal-Editor

Black-Seal-Editor

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:10 PM

Just a quick note just to say that the Masks Companion is now in its last week of fund-raising.

We've met our funding target and we've breached numerous stretch goals that will enlarge the Shanghai and Australian chapters of the Companion.

Remember that this will be your only opportunity to pick up the Masks Companion in printed format. The Masks Companion ends on  uesday March 10 2015 at 17:55  GMT. Make your pledge now, or set the reminder to alert you when there is only 48 hours left.

The Masks Companion Kickstarter can be found here: https://www.kickstar...hotep-companion

Adam Crossingham
Publisher & Editor-in-Chief
Sixtystone Press Limited

#56 Emrys

Emrys

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, UK

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:52 PM

There are now three stretch goals which say they will be available as separate add-ons (those for £14,500, £29,000 and £35,000) but I can't see anything to say how much these optional add-ons will actually cost. It's also unclear (to me, at least) how some of the goals will be delivered.

Would it be possible to amend the list of stretch goals to show how they will be delivered and their cost (if applicable)?
Nightmares in Norfolk did come back, albeit briefly, with a brand new group of investigators! Why not visit and see if you see when I went wrong (and, for the love of Dagon, comment)?

#57 DAR

DAR

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:23 AM

Currently Kicktraq has it to just cross 34,000 - given the huge range for that last stretch goal it seems mostly like a "everyone gets potato salad" as opposed to something they want to actually provide. I hope I'm proven wrong, but at this point I'm not expecting to see it cross the final goalpost for 7e stats - especially with no "high ticket" (aka leather-ish bound) or retailer (multiple copies at a discounted price) pricepoints.

That said, I'm glad that we'll see this in actual print and that it has succeeded so well!

D.

#58 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:38 AM

I'm sure hoping Ben Patey gets back with Adam soon on the add-ons.  I'd like to be able to...well...add them on....  :neutral:

#59 DAR

DAR

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:38 AM

Agreed - the add-ons will probably add quite a chunk of change to the Kickstarter, if they can get them taken care of before the KS ends. If they don't then they'll need to figure out how to collect the funds, make sure everyone gets the correct split, etc...

D

#60 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:00 AM

Currently Kicktraq has it to just cross 34,000 - given the huge range for that last stretch goal it seems mostly like a "everyone gets potato salad" as opposed to something they want to actually provide. I hope I'm proven wrong, but at this point I'm not expecting to see it cross the final goalpost for 7e stats - especially with no "high ticket" (aka leather-ish bound) or retailer (multiple copies at a discounted price) pricepoints.

That said, I'm glad that we'll see this in actual print and that it has succeeded so well!

D.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about the 7th edition stats -- it seems easy enough to convert, and the pushing rolls rules will definitely fit in well with the more pulpish nature of Masks, so it's a logical but easy thing to do.  I note we are already almost to the Sand Bat Cult article now. 

On an almost completely off-topic subject, you know what else I would have wished for in a perfect world, not necessarily having anything specific to do with Masks, per se?  An effort at producing a guidebook for Shanghai -- like the old Cairo Guidebook, or the old London Guidebook.  Something like that would make that whole period and the complexities of that city much more approachable for most of us, I suspect.  Ah well.  Maybe someday.  Come to think of it, there's a project Sixtystone or Pagan or someone could take on -- guidebooks on cities on each continent/region; Shanghai, maybe Sydney, Berlin or Paris, Constantinople/Istanbul, Leningrad, Bombay or Delhi, Baghdad, Capetown, Rio de Janeiro or maybe Lima or Montevideo, Mexico City or Vera Cruz, maybe Montreal, etc.  Places that serve as gateways to adventure or hotbeds of intrigue, or that have extensive occult associations....  That would give some company a lot of projects to work and would do wonders for most Keepers.  Totally a pipe dream, but there it is.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fundraiser