#1 banshee

banshee

Lesser Servitor

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:54 AM

Here's a cool little video visualisation of what a particular (and sizable) viking settlement may have looked like around 900 AD:

http://sciencenordic...king-age-looked

A little glossary of Danish terms used, might be useful:

Havn - harbour

Handelsplads - trade station

Kongsgård - literally King's Farm/Yard, in later times this would be: castle or manor. Whether the chieftains that lived there were recognized as 'kings' is open for debate.

Udgravningsfelt - excavation field

Grubehuse - "pit houses"

Midlertidige boliger - temporary dwellings

Grundplan - plan/map

Vikingetid - viking age

Hal - great hall

Bolig - dwelling

Kulthus - "cult house"/temple

Fund fra kultområdet - finds from the cultic area

Tissøringen - the Tissø Ring (1.83 kg, or 4 lbs of solid gold!)

Ofrede våben - sacrificed ("offered") weapons

"I've decided to be a vacuum-cleaner. It's the easiest job in the world: Show me a vacuum, and I'll clean it."

#2 ReydeAmarillo

ReydeAmarillo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationScotland, UK

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:08 PM

Banshee - Many thanks for sharing that video. Being able to visualise a Dark Ages settlement, like that just adds so many layers to a CDA campaign. It's also a spooky synchronisation because I have been toying with a CDA campaign this week, and just today decided to start brainstorming.

And so, in a 35 minute train ride home, have been inspired to write the outlines for 6 scenarios - which is not a bad start! lol.

I am personally inspired by the New Forest in the UK (I am English), probably around the 1000AD mark - so late Saxon.

I am imagining an exorcist priest, his bodyguard, and a local woodsman as guide as a start. As my post - "Gaslight occulted"-  I am toying also with a non-Mythos campaign, using UK folklore and myth to create my opposition. 

So Demons, Seelie/Unseelie, Revenants, Black Dogs, Hobgoblins, Witches, Sorcerers will abound. As will fairy rings, burial mounds and standing stones etc

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Ages, Non-Mythos News, Film