Photo
- - - - -

Dark Ages - whose playing it, where and how?

Dark Ages

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:54 PM

As someone who has had the previlege of reading Chad's CDA 2nd edition, I'd have to say that it is a winner!

Marcus

I have also seen it and I agree.  One could use it for historical, non-Mythos roleplaying in the Dark Ages equally well.  I think that when it appears it will have 'legs' and I look forward to it.

#22 cjbowser

cjbowser

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:15 AM

I have also seen it and I agree. One could use it for historical, non-Mythos roleplaying in the Dark Ages equally well.

That was one of my goals when putting this edition together. I wanted something that could cut either way in regard to history or Mythos horror, so I organised the book in such a way to try to achieve that.

Current projects: Time of Troubles | The Caliphate Caper

#23 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:54 AM

There are a few other D100 products floating around that should mesh nicely with C:DA: BRP's Val-du-Loup and Alephtar's Merrie England and Crusaders of the Amber Coast.  It would be truly fantastic if on the part of Chaosium the BRP Val-du-Loup was reedited into a 7th Edition book and if there could be some networking with Alephtar to if not reedit the books at least make a companion file that gives all the NPCs, etc. in 7th Edition format.  C:DA should be a big seller and it could be if when C:DA v. 2 is released it is accompanied by quite a bit of supplementary material.

#24 cjbowser

cjbowser

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:59 AM

C:DA should be a big seller and it could be if when C:DA v. 2 is released it is accompanied by quite a bit of supplementary material.

Hopefully it'll be a big seller. The first supplement/gazeteer is almost done.

#25 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:04 AM

:-D

#26 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:41 PM

Hopefully it'll be a big seller. The first supplement/gazeteer is almost done.

That is a crucial point.  Leaving Mythos entirely aside for a moment, a set of medieval European sourcebooks for different regions would be a good seller in its own right, I think, and could be pitched not only to Cthulhu roleplayers, but others as well, and to the miniature wargaming crowd.  I would be very interested in hearing more about the supplement

#27 banshee

banshee

Lesser Servitor

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:10 AM

That is a crucial point.  Leaving Mythos entirely aside for a moment, a set of medieval European sourcebooks for different regions would be a good seller in its own right, I think, and could be pitched not only to Cthulhu roleplayers, but others as well, and to the miniature wargaming crowd.  I would be very interested in hearing more about the supplement

Absolutely! Me too  :D

"I've decided to be a vacuum-cleaner. It's the easiest job in the world: Show me a vacuum, and I'll clean it."

#28 tentarephobia

tentarephobia

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:37 AM

What Dark Ages needs (in my opinion) is a scenario book like 'The Asylum and Others' - scenarios covering frequently encountered situations in the setting, giving enough detail so that even once the scenarios have been played, they're still useful as background; the scenario on the ocean liner which has several separate plotlines which could be intertwined, played on separate occasions, or left out altogether is the best example. I'm not sure what situations would be frequently encountered in a Dark Ages campaign - a pilgrimage to a shrine with a stay in a monastery hospice, perhaps, or celebrating some seassonal festival...?

#29 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMonterey, California

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:56 AM

What Dark Ages needs (in my opinion) is a scenario book like 'The Asylum and Others' - scenarios covering frequently encountered situations in the setting, giving enough detail so that even once the scenarios have been played, they're still useful as background; the scenario on the ocean liner which has several separate plotlines which could be intertwined, played on separate occasions, or left out altogether is the best example. I'm not sure what situations would be frequently encountered in a Dark Ages campaign - a pilgrimage to a shrine with a stay in a monastery hospice, perhaps, or celebrating some seassonal festival...?

The pilgrimage to Santiago (starts a bit later, tho) or Rome; an outbreak of plague or disease (with attendant medieval approaches to the problem); a legal case/murder investigation including a trial by combat?

#30 cjbowser

cjbowser

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:57 AM

The pilgrimage to Santiago (starts a bit later, tho) or Rome; an outbreak of plague or disease (with attendant medieval approaches to the problem); a legal case/murder investigation including a trial by combat?

Coincidentally, all of these (pilgrimages, disease, and ordeals) are covered in the current manuscript.

Edited by cjbowser, 28 December 2014 - 03:57 AM.

#31 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:29 PM

Coincidentally, all of these (pilgrimages, disease, and ordeals) are covered in the current manuscript.

Ooh. yes please--when will this be ready? 

#32 bastthecatgoddess

bastthecatgoddess

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:44 AM

Any further ideas? :)

Add in a couple of more chapters and a ending to Pagan Call (If you do run the whole campaign) obviously.

#33 MikeM

MikeM

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:08 PM

Dark Ages 2nd edition is in layout and art development at this time. Maps are also being drawn.

Expect it later this year.

Mike M, Line Editor for Call of Cthulhu, Chaosium Inc.

#34 Pazuzu

Pazuzu

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:43 PM

I started a CDA game with one player, then we moved it in time to the 1st Crusade. So now his viking-turned-bodyguard is a veteran crusader with a 'holy sword', building himself a new life back in the far north (Sweden)!

"A tentacle for your thoughts."

#35 bishop026

bishop026

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:33 AM

Stephane Gesbert, who wrote the original CDA, has free scenarios linked up at his webpage. I'd say that's a good 50+ hours of gaming right there. I've run a group through it. Great fun and high quality clue trails.

http://home.kpn.nl/gesbe000/

Other than that I have run a heavily modified "Here Be Dragons" which was written by Dean P. Goodwin. It's normally 2-3 hours but I made it about 20. As a result it's now a miniseries when I run it. I'm running it for the 7th time for a group online.

I have a couple of other scenarios on the back burner, including the Siege of Paris by the Norsemen and the quest to bring Brian Boru back from the dead. He was the Charlemange of Ireland, btw.

Of course the challenge is that there are so many settings that this all takes time and CoC isn't the only RPG that I play.

My gaming blog with pretty pictures and then some: http://storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

#36 Bran

Bran

Master

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationRomero Country

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:43 AM

I am planning on running Pagan Call in about 2 weeks. The setting is my favorite for Call of Cthulhu, and I finally got a group together that is interested as well. 

I've run a group through it. Great fun and high quality clue trails.

I began a thread asking for advice, regarding both Keepers and Players and their experiences with the campaign, as well as what Keepers did for an ending. http://www.yog-sotho...ulhu-dark-ages/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Ages