• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 sglancy12

sglancy12

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:42 PM

Horrors of War: Update Number 4- All Quiet on the Western Front!

Howdy Backers,

First of all, I must thank each and every one of you for both your pledges and for getting the word out about this project. Thanks to you, Pagan Publishing has plenty of budget for this first volume of Horrors of War and is part-way towards funding the second book in the series. Despite the fact that we did not meet our $32K stretch goal of two books for the price of one, I feel that some gesture of gratitude should be made to all our backers because you helped raise more than $10,000.00 above what this project required.  Give me a few days to think about that and I’ll make an announcement here when I’ve got a decision.

In the meantime some of that money will be spent expediting the first Horrors of War book, “A Covenant with Death,” so that you will not have to deal with delays in delivery. The rest will be put towards the production of the second volume, tentatively titled “Dying Empires.”

The next thing that you’ll be getting is your Backer Surveys. It’s critical that you get these back to us because without them we cannot get you your rewards. Expect those in the next 48 hours. If you don’t receive a Backer Survey, be sure to sound off and we’ll fix that.

In the next full update I will be setting out the full list of scenarios that will be appearing in this first volume. There has been some wrangling over which scenarios should go where since it’s important that each book in the series have its own strong theme. Expect that before another week has passed.

Thank you again for your support. It’s now up to the crew here at Pagan Publishing to live up to the credit you have extended to us. We look forward to exceeding your expectations.

A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing 

A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing

#22 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,403 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 04 April 2016 - 03:02 PM

A KS update reveals a draft cover for Horrors of War: Death from Above.

horrors-of-war-draft-cover-pagan-publishing.jpg

#23 hamster

hamster

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:31 PM

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but has anyone heard anything about the progress on this Kickstarter project?

It's not the longest outstanding one that I've backed, that honour(??) goes to the 'dead, but dreaming' Punktown from the now defunct Miskatonic River Press which I am still holding out hope will be fulfilled by Chronicle City.

However it's been over 2 years since this was supposed to be delivered and more worryingly it's been over 6 months since Adam Scott Glancy updated or even commented on the Kickstarter.....

I know that Arc Dream and what's left of Pagan Publishing are working on Delta Green, but this Kickstarter also seems to be experiencing slightly worrying delays (although I didn't back that once so I'm not so concerned).

#24 littleo

littleo

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:53 PM

No updates and there is a mini movement over on the KS page to bring out the torches and pitchforks. The Miskatonic University Podcast guys tried to contact him a few months ago to ask about the KS status but I think he didn't respond.

M

#25 Shrike

Shrike

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:29 PM

I'm confident this will see the light of day and equally confident I will enjoy the final product but there's no doubt that the project management of this book has been poor.

#26 omnimpotent

omnimpotent

Breakfast Clubber

• Breakfast Clubber
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:04 PM

It's running pretty late, which isn't great, but I recall the Bumps in the Night book took a while from announcement to delivery, and I was very pleased with that book.  I expect this one will be just as good.

I suspect torches and pitchforks aren't going to make anything happen faster.

#27 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationPalm Bay, Florida

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:06 PM

I'm a bit more worried about Punktown and the Chronicle City connection. I was part of the Space 1889 reboot and the German publishers had to take the ball from Chronicle City when they completely dropped it. That cluster delayed the entire process by several months until the German publishers sorted it out. I'm worried that Punktown is going to be stuck in its own development hell now that it is in the hand of Chronicle City.

As for Horrors of War, the silence is kinda deadly of late. The best way to get answers is to talk calmly and honestly with Scott Glancy at GenCon. As for the delays in Delta Green, they finally released the Beta draft of the re-titled gamester book (I think it is simply now The Delta Green RPG) and it is a 500+ pg monstrosity.

#28 Jiminy

Jiminy

Master

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:05 PM

Speaking of Bumps, is it still available anywhere?

#29 omnimpotent

omnimpotent

Breakfast Clubber

• Breakfast Clubber
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:43 PM

Jiminy, I think Arkham Bazaar still lists Bumps in the Night.

#30 hamster

hamster

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

As for Horrors of War, the silence is kinda deadly of late. The best way to get answers is to talk calmly and honestly with Scott Glancy at GenCon. As for the delays in Delta Green, they finally released the Beta draft of the re-titled gamester book (I think it is simply now The Delta Green RPG) and it is a 500+ pg monstrosity.

Unfortunately travelling to GenCon is out of the question (I'm in the UK), so I guess I'm going to have to depend on someone else asking the question.....

#31 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:06 PM

It's running pretty late, which isn't great, but I recall the Bumps in the Night book took a while from announcement to delivery, and I was very pleased with that book.  I expect this one will be just as good.

I suspect torches and pitchforks aren't going to make anything happen faster.

He kept posting updates about Bumps though, and checking in the Kickstarter history it wasn't too late on delivery.

This time looks worrying to me, and I'm speaking as a non backer, but I have been burned on Kickstarter elsewhere. Radio silence for many many months, with no updates, and ignoring backer questions (yes he is logging in to Kickstarter, as recently as the end of May) is very much a red flag issue. If I was a backer, I'd be worried.

I agree with Lammomedes re Punktown and Chronicle City though. I was a Space 1889 backer too. I suspect this may come out eventually, but I wouldn't hold your breath ...

What is it with Cthulhu and Kickstarters? Aarrgghh :)

#32 Bishop

Bishop

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:09 PM

I get the feeling that a decision was made on what projects got priority.  Delta Green or Horrors of War?  Unforeseen events pushed Horrors behind and then Delta Green loomed on the horizon.  Everyone else involved in Delta Green were ready to go. Glancy probably had to put his own project on hold to work with the DG group as a whole to get it out.  Which is of course unfortunate for those who backed the Horrors KS.  But Delta Green will always be the bigger and more important project for Pagan Publishing.  It is their tent pole property. Everything else will take a backseat to it. But now that the Upgraded Case Officer's Handbook for DG is finally wrapping up, hopefully that means the secondary projects will get priority again.  I imagine we will finally hear something from him again soon.  It would have been nice to hear this up front then to speculate it about it later though. Communication is always the key in these kinds of situations.  There would have been the usual peeved supporters, but at least we all would have known. And I think the majority would have understood the situation, even if they weren't happy about it.

Edited by Bishop, 28 June 2017 - 03:15 PM.

-iicf

#33 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,403 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:22 PM

I think it's also a matter of respect.

A communication, even once a month, to backers at least lets you know you're not forgotten.

#34 Jiminy

Jiminy

Master

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:10 PM

I think Arkham Bazaar still lists Bumps in the Night.

Thank you!

#35 MOB

MOB

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, VIC Australia

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:46 AM

Chaosium met with Scott Glancy of Pagan Publishing at Gen Con and discussed the Horrors of War license. We have confidence Scott can deliver on this project in the revised time frame he has put forward, and that he will give backers timely updates about progress until it is done.

More details here: https://www.chaosium...war-kickstarter

#36 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,403 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:08 PM

Revised delivery date is by 2nd August, 2018.

#37 crazy_cat

crazy_cat

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:29 PM

Revised delivery date is by 2nd August, 2018.

Not a backer, but an interested observer - although I am a DG backer still waiting on the Case Officer book package.

On evidence to date I'd take that estimate with a very significant sized pinch of salt - and I'm not that confident I'll actually have my physical DG books by then.

To paraphrase somebody upthread - what is it with Call of Cthulhu and Kickstarter?
"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not wish to die"

#38 hamster

hamster

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:51 PM

Not a backer, but an interested observer - although I am a DG backer still waiting on the Case Officer book package.

On evidence to date I'd take that estimate with a very significant sized pinch of salt - and I'm not that confident I'll actually have my physical DG books by then.

To paraphrase somebody upthread - what is it with Call of Cthulhu and Kickstarter?

It's interesting isn't it...

Other RPG companies & licensee's have managed to run successful Kickstarters, which even if they have run late (which most do frankly), the communications have been reasonable and finished products have been worth waiting for.

I know people joke about the "Curse of Cthulhu Kickstarters", but it almost seems like it's true...... :8E:  :shock:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fundraiser, Publisher