37 replies to this topic

#1 sglancy12

sglancy12

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:49 PM

Horrors of War: A Covenant with Death

A collection of scenarios for the Call of Cthulhu role-playing game, set during the nightmare of the Great War, 1914-1918.

Pagan Publishing is a small, award-winning publisher of role-playing games, specializing in books and supplements for the Call of Cthulhu role-playing game.

Through this Kickstarter we intend bring a new series of Call of Cthulhu role-playing game books to life- Horrors of War!

Horrors of War will be a series of Call of Cthulhu scenario anthologies set during wartime. The first book in this series “Horrors of War: A Covenant with Death,” is a sourcebook and scenario anthology set during the Great War, 1914-1918. We are launching this Kickstarter to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War on August 1st, 2014.

For the past seven years John H. Crowe and I have been designing and running Call of Cthulhu scenarios set during the Great War. You may have heard some of mine recorded as actual play podcasts over at Role-Playing Public Radio. Now we’re ready to begin releasing, what we expect will be, several Horrors of War volumes focused on the Great War. Later volumes of Horrors of War will focus on other conflicts in other times.

This first book, “A Covenant With Death,” will be a generalist book on the Great War and will include 8 scenarios, sourcebook material on the weapons and gear of the Great War, Air-combat rules, rules for creating both professional and citizen soldiers, and a Great War timeline, glossary and an extensive bibliography. All eight scenarios use the 6th Edition rules for Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu role playing game.

The book will be produced as an 8.5" x 11" softcover, with glossy color exteriors and grisly grayscale interior artwork. Right now the edited material tops out at just about 200,000 words. While the scenarios are written and playt ested, Horrors of War still needs to be laid out, illustrated, proofed and printed. The money we raise here will go towards commissioning art, paying layout artists, and, finally, printing and shipping the book to our backers.

Our intention is to release “Horrors of War: A Covenant with Death” by February of 2015. In the interim, we will be releasing, exclusively to our backers, a PDF sneak peak of “Horrors of War” in the form of “Death From Above.” This fully illustrated and laid out PDF document will include a scenario set aboard a zeppelin, another scenario set aboard a bi-wing bomber, air combat rules and aircraft templates. “Death from Above” will be made available to our backers by December 24, 2014, just in time for the Centennial of the 1914 Christmas Truce on the Western Front.

We’ve tried to ensure that the players can represent every nationality involved in the Great War. We have scenarios where they can play British, Belgian, French, German, Russian, American, Italian, Austro-Hungarian, Czechoslovak, Portuguese and Serbian characters, with Romanian, Bulgarian and Turkish options in the works. Most of those will be represented in the first book, “A Covenant with Death.”

Check out our rewards and our stretch goals. And keep checking back. There may be additions made over time.

As mentioned earlier, you can check out the Great War Call of Cthulhu games I recorded with the folks from Role Playing Public Radio at the following URLs. Click here for "Dig to Victory." Click here for "Uboote Heraus part 1" and here for "Uboote Heraus part 2." Here for "The Night Mission." Here for "Shadows of Leuven." And Here for "The Iron Devil." Not all these scenarios will appear in “A Covenant with Death,” but feel free to chime in and let us know which ones you’d most like to see. And do keep in mind that these are playtests. The final products may be quite different.

Thank you again, and I look forward to delivering to you “Horrors of War: A Covenant With Death,” the first installment of our Horrors of War series.

A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing

#2 hamster

hamster

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:40 AM

Woohoo! Backed!!

#3 Shrike

Shrike

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:27 PM

Exciting project. Backed. Nearly 8K in pledges in three days; not bad at all.

Needs some Canadian content! I guess Dig to Victory can be modded, if push comes to shove . . . 

I have some players of Balkan extraction, so I vote for seeing the scenario with the Serbian army included in volume one. And The Iron Devil, because the Russian Civil War makes for such a good scenario setting.

#4 hamster

hamster

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

The only issue with this one, and it seems like an issue for a fair few people, is the lack of a PDF option (or add on).

For some reason John H Crowe seems to be anti PDF.......

It doesn't bother me, I am ok with the international postage on this but it seems like a deal breaker for some folks.

#5 booga

booga

Master

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

I was lucky enough to playtest three of these adventures with Mr Glancy at our local convention (Gamestorm in Vancouver, WA) and they were a lot of fun. I especially enjoyed the amount of reseach and details in each adventure and in the pregenerated characters. Of course, Glancy's storytelling chops did help a lot :)

#6 August20

August20

Neophyte

• Old Patron
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:05 AM

Backed as well! I really enjoyed listening to the RPPR recordings of these scenarios over the past few years. Let's hope the "U-Boote Heraus" one makes its way into this first book.

#7 Shrike

Shrike

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:55 PM

Backed as well! I really enjoyed listening to the RPPR recordings of these scenarios over the past few years. Let's hope the "U-Boote Heraus" one makes its way into this first book.

That seems very likely. I hope the funding goal will be reached soon and that a stretch goal or two is announced. I have a feeling we'd already be at that point if a full PDF option was available for those who insist on digital libraries ...

#8 SJE

SJE

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

Without a PDF is a deal breaker for me these days. So I'm not backing till John Crowe changes his mind.
Running Curse of Nineveh. Survivor of Horror on the Orient Express @ GenCon2013. Keepered Beyond the Lighthouse of Madness, Shadows of Yog Sothoth: Fight Club, and Innsmouth, Masks of Nyarlathotep in London, World War Cthulhu - Saint Cernouf Sandbox

#9 hamster

hamster

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:29 AM

I have a feeling we'd already be at that point if a full PDF option was available for those who insist on digital libraries ...

I agree with this wholeheartedly!

I'd be very interested to know what the objection is to PDF, it's definitely the way the industry is going.

As much as I love a proper book, especially a special edition, buying things on PDF is cheaper and much more convenient!

#10 sglancy12

sglancy12

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

Horrors of War: Update number 1

Howdy backers,

I know I’ve been pretty quiet during this Kickstarter, at least in terms of updates. As someone who also supports many Kickstarters myself, I didn’t want to clutter your in boxes with endless updates. Now that we’ve passed our initial funding level, with more than 30 days left to go, it’s time to make some announcements.

First of all, many of you have been asking about a PDF version of the full "Horrors of War: A Covenant with Death" book, but to date I have had no luck in shifting my writing partner’s position. I know that has caused a several overseas backers to cancel their pledges, but I hope you will consider pledging $1 just to keep up with the project and to allow me to point to all those one dollar pledges and emphasis that they could be $25 pledges. Please continue to send emails about how much you would like to see a PDF version, but please don’t lecture me too much about what a good idea it is. I know what a good idea it is. I just need to demonstrate the vast interest that our customers have in a PDF version of the book.

The second thing I want to mention in this update are stretch goals.

Right now we have three stretch goals

$18,000.00: Every print copy of the books gets a two-page, fold-out diagram of the L-58 Zeppelin for the scenario “The Last Flight of the L-58.”

$20,000.00: Everyone who pledged at the level to receive the softcover print edition will receive PDF sneak peeks at scenarios from future releases of Horrors of War books. Two complete scenarios free to everyone who bought in at the softcover print edition level.

$32,000.00: The second volume of Horrors of War for FREE! If we reach $32,000, then everyone who pledgs at the softcover print edition level ($45.00 for domestic backers and $60.00 for foreign backers) will receive the second volume of Horrors of War for free, including shipping. That’s $80 worth of books and even more value when you throw in shipping. I can’t give an exact release date at this time, but if we raise $32K this year, then we should be able to get it out before the end of 2015.

And finally, while I was a GenCon I recorded another WWI scenario with the team from Role-Playing Public Radio. That scenario, The Lord of the Peaks, is set in early 1916 on the Alpine front. If you want to listen to it, just follow the link.

#11 CanterburyTail

CanterburyTail

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

I'm another who won't back due to the lack of a PDF. If the argument against is piracy, the book will be pirated one way or another, you may as well profit from it by releasing an official version you and your loyal readers can benefit from.

#12 Shrike

Shrike

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:11 PM

I have two or three friends who wish to back this project so long as there is a full PDF release. So far I have not persuaded them to speak for themselves by backing the project for $1 on the Kickstarter site - I suspect because they know I will update them with developments - but please consider this another data point for potential sales to tally up in presenting to your co-author.

Also, more information on which scenarios are planned for which books would be a helpful data point. I have friends of Balkan and New Zealand extraction who might well back the project, full PDF or not, should they know that a scenario involving player characters from those regions is guaranteed to be in the first volume.

#13 Robin

Robin

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

$32,000.00: The second volume of Horrors of War for FREE! If we reach $32,000, then everyone who pledgs at the softcover print edition level ($45.00 for domestic backers and $60.00 for foreign backers) will receive the second volume of Horrors of War for free, including shipping. That’s $80 worth of books and even more value when you throw in shipping. I can’t give an exact release date at this time, but if we raise $32K this year, then we should be able to get it out before the end of 2015.

That has to be the best stretch goal I've seen in any Kickstarter. It could do with being shouted around a bit.

Regards

Robin

#14 sglancy12

sglancy12

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:03 PM

Horrors of War: A Covenant with Death, Update #2- PDF Edition Unlocked.

Howdy Backers,

We have a lot of news today.

First of all I want to congratulate everyone on unlocking stretch goal number 1, the fold out map for the L58 zeppelin. Every book will now include a fold out deck plan of this mighty war machine of the Kaiser’s Navy.

Secondly, with nine days to go we are closing in on the second stretch goal- PDFs sneak previews of scenarios from the later volumes in the Horrors of War series. Just over $700 dollars to go.

Finally, and most importantly, I am happy to announce that we are going to offer a full PDF of “Horrors of War: A Covenant with Death.” Last night my co-author John Crowe let me know that he would agree to offer a PDF version of the book, despite his misgivings. We will also offer PDFs of all future volumes in the Horrors of War series.

So let me repeat: there is now a PDF option for Horrors of War.

The PDF is available at the $20.00 pledge level. Everyone who pledged at higher rewards levels will also receive PDF editions of Horrors of War.

If you only buy in at the $20.00 pledge level, and we reach our stretch goal of $32,000.00, you will receive the second volume of Horrors of War for free, but ONLY in PDF format. Those who pledged enough to receive the soft-cover book will receive both the first volume (Horrors of War: A Covenant with Death) and the second volume (tentatively titled “Horrors of War: Dying Empires”) and PDFs of both books. Please remember that as of yet we can offer no definitive release date for the second volume.

That being said, I would like to ask those of you who have been sticking pins in their John Crowe dolls to stop. This respiratory infection he has is really getting out of hand and as much as I understand how frustrated you may have been, now that you’ve got what you want there’s no reason to keep tormenting him.

#15 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:27 PM

I think this is excellent news and I really hope anyone who was on the fence about supporting the project reconsiders.  I had the pleasure of watching "The Last Flights of the L-58" at Necronomicon last year and am very excited at the prospect getting to read that scenario (and the rest, of course).

My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#16 CanterburyTail

CanterburyTail

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:50 PM

And I've now pledged due to the PDF option. In for a hardcopy as well, but PDFs are very useful.

#17 B9DV8

B9DV8

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:01 PM

PDF Option now available! A welcome addition, indeed!

#18 sglancy12

sglancy12

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:43 AM

Horrors of War: Update Number 3- Sneak Previews Stretch Goal unlocked and Digital Backer option now available!

Howdy Backers,

We’ve unlocked our $20K stretch goal, so everyone who backed at the $20.00 PDF Edition level or higher will receive two sneak preview PDFs of scenarios that will be appearing in future volumes of the Horrors of War series.

I should also note that several backers have inquired about whether there is a pure PDF rewards option where they can receive the Pre-generated Characters and the Playtest Notes. That option, the Digital Backer award, is now open.

At a pledge level of $40.00, backers will receive-

• Their name on a “Roll of Honor” in both the print and PDF editions of the book.

• A PDF sneak preview of Horrors of War, titled “Death from Above.” This PDF will include the scenarios- “The Last Flight of the L58” and “The Night Mission,” plus rules for air combat and dog fighting.

• PDFs of all the maps, player handouts, and ship deck plans appear in the scenarios, including the schematics for the L58 zeppelin.

• Exclusive access to a never before heard actual play recording of the scenario “The Last Flight of the L58.”

• A complete PDF edition of "Horrors of War: A Covenant with Death."

• A PDF of pre-generated characters for every scenario written by Adam Scott Glancy.

• A PDF of Adam Scott Glancy’s playtest notes for every scenario.

Hope this option appeals to those of you with a yearning for all things digital.

If we hope to meet our $32K stretch goal, it’s mostly up to you dear backers. I am certainly not suggesting that you as individuals pledge more money. You have all pledged more than your fair share. I am instead suggesting that you should get the word out. Let people know that if they buy in and get this Kickstarter up over $32K then everyone will be getting two books for the price of one.

Can’t ask for much fairer than that. Well, you could. But you probably won’t get it.

#19 B9DV8

B9DV8

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

The  Digital Backer award looks really sweet! This is the version I would go for if I had not bought into a higher level already.

#20 Shrike

Shrike

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:03 AM

I'm pretty happy to learn that Pagan Publishing's back catalogue is going to be released on pdf too. I never managed to get a copy of Walker in the Wastes, for example ... 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fundraiser, Publisher