• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Talmor

Talmor

Master

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

I've been checking out the Hero Lab program, and I see that it supports CoC. Has anyone used this program? Is it worth the money vs. something like Byakhee? 

#2 paladin2769

paladin2769

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSI, NY

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

I have it and I like it alot.  I haven't used Byakhee in a long time since I got it. Do you have specific questions?

Now if I could find a form-fillable 6th edition character sheet, I would be thrilled (since Chaosium will no longer support it - making an official one).  I was disappointed with the ipad program they supported as it has bugs that were never fixed and my emails were never answered.  :(

But I digress...

Edited by paladin2769, 18 July 2014 - 12:52 PM.

#3 General_Tangent

General_Tangent

Master

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

I've found Hero Lab worth the investment and its been a real time saver for me, not only does it streamline the character creation process it generates some wonderful looking character sheets. So I have no problems recommending this program.

Comparing it to the other applications on the market; I'd put Byakhee second and the old Creation Workshop software in third place.

#4 DnP

DnP

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:04 PM

I used the trial version before for a Pathfinder campaign, and it was a nice check on the complicated d20 process.

I just looked at the site to see if they are supporting 7E (not yet), but I did see this:

Exchange Sanity points for increased POW when creating your character, or apply aging effects to a middle-aged or older investigator.

What?  I don't think I've ever heard of this option with respect to San and Pow, and I don't see it in the 6E character creation rules.  Can anyone explain?

"There's always a space between..."
-Wm S Burroughs

#5 Finn123

Finn123

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:42 PM

This thread may be a bit dated but I am looking into HL now.

I run a World War Cthulhu campaign and am interested in some character management and help with running combats. HL seems to support both in 7e.

However, it is unclear to me if HL is customizable enough to incorporated the WWC material especially the extra, setting-specific skills.

My question to existing users:

1) Do you find HL helpful for character (PCs, and NPCs) management?

2) Have you used some of the Game Master tools and how do you like them?

3) Do you have a sense on how customizable HL is for a setting like WWC?

Thanks