• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 cjbowser

cjbowser

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

This is neither here nor there because it's not out yet, but latest edition of CDA (a very different book from the first) will have three scenarios and close to one hundred hooks. There are also three more scenarios in progress.

Current projects: Time of Troubles | The Caliphate Caper

#22 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

I do look forward to the new edition of CDA, though I still very much liked the first edition scenario as well; hopefully it can be reprinted at some point.

#23 cjbowser

cjbowser

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

I do look forward to the new edition of CDA, though I still very much liked the first edition scenario as well; hopefully it can be reprinted at some point.

Like we've chatted about, the change in direction for CDA means the Tomb isn't a good fit for the core book. It will hopefully see the light of day in a follow-up book on the continent.

Current projects: Time of Troubles | The Caliphate Caper

#24 Cosmoline

Cosmoline

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

I've toyed around with these, but while I like the tabula rasa aspect of the dark ages setting, it's often darn handy to have civilization in place for plot purposes and to deal with unexpected twists during game play.  Rome has some law and order to it, transportation, facilities, literacy, etc.  So you can send out little missives (I forget the name of those Roman post cards) and summon help or advice.  And you've got your wonderful system of roads and red tape to have fun with.  Plus a pretty impressive system of industry and supply all the way to Hadrian's wall.  Go forward to the dark ages and you're back to post hole living in much of Europe with frothing northern raiders as the main source of trade and commerce. Even getting something as simple as quality steel could be a real chore.  

Personally I like the idea of kicking it forward a bit to the high or late medieval period, where there was a lot more movement and you have hierarchies to provide plot points and NPC fodder.  Getting kitted out got a heck of a lot easier and there was enough infrastructure to support pilgrims wandering all over the place.  Plus you have more fun stuff to play around with by the 1300's.  War hammers, longswords, sword and buckler, a bewildering array of pole arms, lances, etc.  Not just your one cruddy old spear and shield of the typical dark ages denizen.  So you can put on your harness, draw your shiny blade and look *really cool* when you get eaten!  

Edited by Cosmoline, 08 August 2014 - 05:33 PM.

#25 golfsale

golfsale

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

I have not checked the Invictus material thoroughly, but as of “first class” scenarios there is the “Pagan call” free campaign which I would rate as such.

Unfortunately it remains unfinished…

I agree wholeheartedly: even in its unfinished form, the scenarios in Pagan Call are far and away the best that I've seen for CDA. I wasn't keen on the scenario in the rulebook (over-long and the mi-go have been done to death) or the one in Book of Dark Wisdom or any of the monographs I've looked at. The CDA material in Worlds of Cthulhu is mainly set in Clark Ashton Smith's Averoigne; nothing wrong with that, but it's not real Dark Ages. I wrote a scenario of my own based on the film Black Death with a little addition of a Shub-Niggurath cult in the isolated village. My players forgave me the anachronism; I figured there must have been some plagues in the 10th and 11th centuries. The players were disappointed when they were told that disease is merely a physical symptom of spiritual sin and the only protection they were given was the relic of a saint's knuckle-bone, that and "a good old pray".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Ages, Invictus