33 replies to this topic

#21 Boris

Boris

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:06 PM

OK, if anyone saw/ bought a copy of Dark Ages 2e at GenCon, what are your thoughts/ feelings? How does it compare to the old edition? What is in the book? Basically anything you can let us know.....
Cheers

Edited by Boris, 03 August 2015 - 05:06 PM.

#22 cjbowser

cjbowser

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:44 PM

You can read the introduction here:

http://rpggeek.com/r...-second-edition

That should tell you a lot of what the book is about.

Edited by cjbowser, 03 August 2015 - 05:44 PM.

Current projects: Time of Troubles | The Caliphate Caper

#23 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • LocationPalm Bay, Florida

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

My group and I play-tested the original early version of Dark Ages 2ed (we have playtester credits within). I also picked up a copy at GenCon. However, I have not had time to look it over, but I will in the next few days.

#24 mjdbeck

mjdbeck

Master

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:59 PM

You can read the introduction here:

http://rpggeek.com/r...-second-edition

That should tell you a lot of what the book is about.

Looks like a winner Chad! Any word on an official release date?

--michael

#25 cjbowser

cjbowser

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:19 PM

Looks like a winner Chad! Any word on an official release date?

--michael

I was told later in the year. I imagine it'll be after coc 7e sees the light of day, since that's the priority. However, if you do have this supplement and the coc quickstart, you should be good to go.

#26 neorxnawang

neorxnawang

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:12 AM

Oh man, Chad, that sucks. You were on the karaoke invite list. Lemme guess, North Carolina...raccoon? Feel better.

#27 cjbowser

cjbowser

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:26 AM

Oh man, Chad, that sucks. You were on the karaoke invite list. Lemme guess, North Carolina...raccoon? Feel better.

Thanks, Jeff. I wish it was a raccoon. They're easy to identify when sick. This was bats.

#28 Eddy

Eddy

Master

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:58 PM

This seems great, I love this era. I own the first edition of Dark Ages but have never ran anything from it, the Pagan Call campaign is brilliant although unfinished. My main concern is that its for 7th edition which I'm still unsure of because its not released yet.

#29 Boris

Boris

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:30 PM

Chad, hope you're ok after the bite (bat! There's a story there....)

The intro looks good. Just wondering if there is any 'non Europe' background in the book? Oh, and as a big 7e fan I'm glad to see this being " updated".

#30 cjbowser

cjbowser

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:59 PM

The core book has a little bit of information on areas outside the occident, but not a lot. The decision was made to focus on one area and provide depth as opposed to scattershotting across the world. That being said, all of the background information from the first edition book is still there. It's just been augmented and fleshed out and applies to the occident as a whole. After that, the book goes into detail about what life was like during Anglo-Saxon England at that time. Then, we dive into greater detail by creating an Anglo-Saxon burh similar in style to what's presented in Arkham Unveiled, Kingsport, etc.

I would have like including information of the same depth on places like the Caliphate (including the Bayt al-Hikma), but I decided if I didn't have the space to go into the depth I wanted, it could wait for a regional setting book. 

#31 citybumpkin

citybumpkin

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:30 PM

I recall last fall, after GenCon, Cthulhu Dark Ages 2nd edition made a brief appearance. YSDC reported it, and I saw it on Chaosium's web site for a while.

http://www.yog-sotho...ges-2nd-edition

The page has since disappeared off Chaosium's web sites, and my local game store says it's still not available. There is no PDF version for sale that I could find, and online retailers have it listed as "pre-order"

Sorry if I missed something, but looking around I haven't found any information on what happened. But it seems like Dark Ages 2nd edition went from released to "un-released." Can anyone fill me in?

EDIT: I see there's some discussion in the comments after the link that indicates what was for sale was some kind of pre-release version. But if anyone has more info I would appreciate it.

#32 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:26 PM

Threads merged.

I have no additional information about this. However if I were to speculate, it would simply be that items that were on their way into publication were put on hold while the new Chaosium management sort out the mess they've inherited. I suspect we may not see much movement on new Chaosium CoC products until the print version of Call of Cthulhu 7th edition starts getting into people hands.

#33 cjbowser

cjbowser

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:33 PM

I recall last fall, after GenCon, Cthulhu Dark Ages 2nd edition made a brief appearance. YSDC reported it, and I saw it on Chaosium's web site for a while.

http://www.yog-sotho...ges-2nd-edition

The page has since disappeared off Chaosium's web sites, and my local game store says it's still not available. There is no PDF version for sale that I could find, and online retailers have it listed as "pre-order"

Sorry if I missed something, but looking around I haven't found any information on what happened. But it seems like Dark Ages 2nd edition went from released to "un-released." Can anyone fill me in?

EDIT: I see there's some discussion in the comments after the link that indicates what was for sale was some kind of pre-release version. But if anyone has more info I would appreciate it.

The copy available at GenCon was an ashcan version. Only ~250 were POD. The reason it's no longer on the site is that Chaosium uses their catalog as their product listing. If something sells out, it disappears until more are in stock or listed for pre-order.

It's in the process of getting new art and layout. There was also talk of reorg, but nobody has told me how it's getting reorged.

As of this time, there is no release date.

If you have any questions about the content, I'll do my best to answer them.

Edited by cjbowser, 26 January 2016 - 11:34 PM.

#34 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMonterey, California

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:38 AM

The copy available at GenCon was an ashcan version. Only ~250 were POD. The reason it's no longer on the site is that Chaosium uses their catalog as their product listing. If something sells out, it disappears until more are in stock or listed for pre-order.

It's in the process of getting new art and layout. There was also talk of reorg, but nobody has told me how it's getting reorged.

As of this time, there is no release date.

If you have any questions about the content, I'll do my best to answer them.

Huh, I have a copy. It's a bit of a departure from the original, but a decent supplement. I was mining it for stuff for my early modern game. It looks like I have a collector's item...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Ages, Publisher