• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Master

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

During my recent move from the UK to Spain, I seem to have somehow lost my copy of Cthulhu Dark Ages.

It always struck me as a well written inspired product, but a little rough around the edges.

I always wanted to set aside the time to write a CDA campaign based around the original fairy stories. The originals were very grim and dark and surprisingly adult, and it seems to me that with a little work, they could make the basis of some good Mythos scenarios.

I now want to start that, but obviously need a new copy of CDA. I was just about to buy one, but have read (somewhere) that a revised version is under way.

Can anyone advise?

#2 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

Chaosium are indeed revamping the rulebook for CDA but I don't think a release is at all imminent ( someone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong ) so I'd suggest that you buy the current rulebook depending on how soon you need it.

Maybe you could survive with a cheaper PDF version instead of a hardcopy.

Do you play Trail of Cthulhu ? You may find these downloads useful...

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu PDF - the rulebook as slim as it can go.

The Enchiridion of Elucidation PDF - a guidebook for both players and Keepers, with advice on playing the game.

#3 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

I concur.  I was honored to receive a play test copy some while ago, even before the impending 7th edition was even announced.  It was quite good and quite far along, but even as it stood and without going into details the material is going to be quite different.  I expect it will also need to be conformed to 7th when that comes along, so I wouldn't expect it at once.  My advice is the same--pick up a used copy of the current edition or an electronic version, and then also add the new version to your  collection when it comes out.  I don't think you will be disappointed to have both instead of one or the other.

Edited by wombat1, 29 March 2014 - 02:19 PM.

#4 SquibblyDibbly

SquibblyDibbly

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:06 AM

Also the World of Darkness setting Changeling could provide you with a lot of ideas for using the Seelie and Unseelie Courts in a Dark Ages setting. I blame Disney for making fairies cute!

"You forget, I was present at an undersea, unexplained, mass sponge migration"

#5 Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Master

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

Also the World of Darkness setting Changeling could provide you with a lot of ideas for using the Seelie and Unseelie Courts in a Dark Ages setting. I blame Disney for making fairies cute!

I hear what you are saying, Disney certainly has a lot to answer for.

But the "cuti-fication" of the fairy stories (and Fairies) began earlier, with the Victorians. Before them fairy stories were pretty brutal, twisted and nasty!

And some of them just cry out for a Mythos spin. The Seelie and Unseelie definitely need to be included.

#6 Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Master

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

Many thanks to everyone for their advice. Since it seems that the revised CDA is someway off, and maybe quite different in focus, I will get onto Amazon/EBay for a copy of the original.

I especially loved the Limbo focus, using the Mythos in a new way, that somehow seemed to fit the epoch.

#7 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

I playtested CDA2 and still found the original version quite helpful. 

"The die is cast"
- Julius Caesar (ultimate power gamer)

“Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.”
HPL

#8 Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Master

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

I concur.  I was honored to receive a play test copy some while ago, even before the impending 7th edition was even announced.  It was quite good and quite far along, but even as it stood and without going into details the material is going to be quite different.

Many thanks for the advice. If anything it was the different take on the Mythos that particularly engendered me to CDA, if they have changed this focus then it probably won't be for me anyway.

I found the whole Limbo, Lilith, (Revenant) Vampires, Werewolf spirits, Odin as Yog Sothoth etc as a refreshing revision of CoC.

More of the same please

#9 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

Many thanks for the advice. If anything it was the different take on the Mythos that particularly engendered me to CDA, if they have changed this focus then it probably won't be for me anyway.

I found the whole Limbo, Lilith, (Revenant) Vampires, Werewolf spirits, Odin as Yog Sothoth etc as a refreshing revision of CoC.

More of the same please

I will state that when it appears, both books working together would make a powerful resource for any sort of medieval/dark ages/medieval fantasy play, including but not limited to Mythos games.  I expect the new edition to mark a significant advance, though I liked the old scenario and the focus on central Europe in the older edition.

#10 Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Master

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

I will state that when it appears, both books working together would make a powerful resource for any sort of medieval/dark ages/medieval fantasy play, including but not limited to Mythos games.  I expect the new edition to mark a significant advance, though I liked the old scenario and the focus on central Europe in the older edition.

Wombat, many thanks once again. You have my Pavlov's Dogs -like salivations going !!

#11 cjbowser

cjbowser

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

There is indeed a new version of Cthulhu Dark Ages slated for release. The manuscript is written (and fully converted to 7e rules, with Dark Ages tweaks).

For the curious, in terms of content, very little was removed from the 1st edition. The scenario and the gazetteer were the only things taken out to save space. Right now the manuscript is over 200 pages long, which, as you'll note, is much longer than the first edition. And, most of the additions, aren't rules.

To sum up the changes, we went from Braudel's methodology to Ladurie's methodology.

If you want to use the 2nd edition for your scenarios, email me at cjbowser@gmail.com. I might be able to help you out.

Current projects: Time of Troubles | The Caliphate Caper

#12 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,419 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:26 PM

I note that limited advance copies of Cthulhu Dark Ages 2nd edition will be available from Chaosium's booth at Gen Con this year.

#13 cjbowser

cjbowser

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:22 PM

And... there might be a little something extra for purchasers of the book at the con. Of course, that's only if the stars are right.

#14 Boris

Boris

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:35 PM

I note that limited advance copies of Cthulhu Dark Ages 2nd edition will be available from Chaosium's booth at Gen Con this year.

.....not to derail the thread too much, but can anyone reveal if this is a stand alone game or supplement for 7th edition?

#15 cjbowser

cjbowser

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:10 PM

.....not to derail the thread too much, but can anyone reveal if this is a stand alone game or supplement for 7th edition?

It's a 212 page supplement for 7th edition.

(Paul -- feel free to break into a separate thread if needed).

#16 Boris

Boris

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for the reply; I was in the early play testing but life issues meant I had to drop out. Really looking toward to the final new edition ....now back to main thread...

Edited by Boris, 28 July 2015 - 05:45 PM.

#17 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,419 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:55 AM

- and here is the new edition of Cthulhu Dark Ages (as available at Chaosium's booth at  Gen Con 2015).

cda-2e.jpg

Photo courtesy of GBSteve.

#18 TheHistorian

TheHistorian

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:49 AM

And just from that picture, I see a goof: reused the product code number from Cold Harvest.

#19 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,419 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:38 AM

Indeed.

cold-harvest-cover.jpg

They are stated as advance copies, so may be fixed before reaching general retail.

#20 MikeM

MikeM

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:44 PM

Me and Nick are on it. Looks like a cover template and that element didn't get updated. Well, that's just gonna mean the gencon advance copies are even more rare. ; )

Mike M, Line Editor for Call of Cthulhu, Chaosium Inc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Ages, Publisher