Photo
- - - - -

For the States: Beyond Re-Animator on the Sci-Fi Channel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 FunGuyfromYuggoth

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Greater Independent

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 09:31 PM

If you have cable/satellite and live in the States, check out "Beyond Re-Animator" on the Sci-Fi Channel this Saturday, 10/4/2003. Check local listings for the time. I haven't seen this film yet and can't comment on it.

#2 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 11:02 PM

I saw it a Fright Fest last month. It's pure trash - but in a good way. It was shot on the cheap in Spain with only 2 American actors. All I can say is make sure you watch to the end of the credits.

Oh, and don't expect any real Lovecraft.
Come read about Dreamhounds of Paris actually being played.

The Armitage Files, now with added Ennie Award.
Cthulhu Britannica: London Box Set, now with Golden Geek runner-up award.

#3 ThrallofCthulhu

ThrallofCthulhu

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 03:04 AM

I just watched it, and while it wasnt particularly good, it was interesting.

#4 OddJack

OddJack

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 04:06 AM

I personally enjoyed it. Sure it doesn't and can't match the original, but Combs and the production crew have breathed life back into a series I thought long dead.

Sure it has a good deal of camp to it, but that is part and parcel of the series. As is the low budget look and style. The only thing that really felt changed was the fact that the major gore at the end was not as intense as has been the case in the past. But that, I think, is mostly due to editting. The DVD should be somewhat different.

But the film offered everything else for a good B-Movie (let's be honset about the series). It was fun. It was creepy (good setting with horror unleashed and sick, sick character - the Prison made an ingenius setting for the tale.). The music was good (as always). The actors weren't the best, but were a lot better then many I see in bigger budget works (That Coven leader in Underworld...Wow! :!: ). I also was intrigued about the advances that West had made over the years, just getting closer and closer, hmm.

Combs is what sells the film. The movie would loose a lot without his effort.

And I was rooting at the end (before the credits, as the credits were blacked out and smooched over). A different ending for West for once.

Makes me think about the talk of a 4th film in the works. ANyone care to discuss that? :?:

I for one am eagerly awaiting Dec. 30th. :)
>>>YOG RADIO<<<

A Monthly SANITY Check for Mythos Fans Everywhere.

Yog Radio -- HASTUR free, GUARANTEED.

#5 FunGuyfromYuggoth

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Greater Independent

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 06:34 AM

I personally enjoyed it. Sure it doesn't and can't match the original, but Combs and the production crew have breathed life back into a series I thought long dead. <snip>

You mean this movie re-animated the series? Jeffrey Combs is a brilliant actor and he IS Herbert West. "Beyond Re-Animator" gave me a "gutful" of laughs and I look forward to the DVD.

Now with all the talk brewing about a Horror Channel on Broadband Channels (no it's not "Gigli" on a continuous loop), I wonder if the Channel would like to put its money where its dripping maw is and produce a "Re-Animator" series of small screen movies or a television series. If done right, a t.v. series based on "Herbert West" or an anthology, say "Arkham, Mass." with Stuart Gordon directing would have an audience.

#6 ThrallofCthulhu

ThrallofCthulhu

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 05:00 PM

A horror channel. that would be awesome. I agree with you about Combs. He is a wonderful Herbert West.

#7 FunGuyfromYuggoth

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Greater Independent

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 06:44 PM

http://www.horrorchannel.com/hc1/

The Horror Channel Closes Seed Round of $300,000 in Seed Funding

New Digital Cable Network Plans to Launch in 2004

New York, NY - The Horror Channel, a proposed 24-hour digital cable television network dedicated exclusively to the horror, terror and suspense genres, has closed a seed round of $300,000 led by Orchid Ventures, LLC.

Nicholas A. Psaltos, CEO & Founder of The Horror Channel, said, “The critical funds raised from our first round of financing, especially at a time when the capital markets are so dry, represent a strong vote of confidence in our company and our vision. The capital will enable The Horror Channel to expand operations, and continue to pursue carriage agreements and option or acquire programming rights.” A 9-year veteran of the cable industry, Psaltos has previously worked with leading networks including Discovery, A&E and Bravo/The Independent Film Channel (IFC).

"There is tremendous potential in cable television for this kind of network, which I liken, in real estate terms, to the last piece of beachfront property available,” said Hakim Bangash, principal of Orchid Ventures. “Horror is one of the five classic storytelling genres, yet amazingly, no horror-themed channel currently exists. With tremendously successful horror markets in film, publishing, merchandising, video gaming and retail, a cable network is the next logical step to aggregate this large and loyal audience.”

About The Horror Channel:

The Horror Channel is the branded face for TerrorVision Television, LLC, a New Jersey limited liability company founded in August 2001. Launching in 2004, The Horror Channel is planned to be the premiere 24-hour cable television network with programming drawn exclusively from the Horror, Terror and Suspense genres. To contact The Horror Channel directly, visit www.horrorchannel.com.

About Orchid Ventures:

Orchid Ventures, LLC is a New Jersey based media and entertainment venture capital fund. The fund, formed in December 1999, invests in entertainment projects such as independent films and early stage media companies. Private equity investments in traditional media include range production companies, post-production facilities, cable networks, television content and talent management companies.

Amy Jane Finnerty,
Trylon Communications, Inc. for The Horror Channel
(212) 725-2295 x12, amyf@tryloncommunications.com

#8 OddJack

OddJack

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 09:32 PM

I personally enjoyed it. Sure it doesn't and can't match the original, but Combs and the production crew have breathed life back into a series I thought long dead. <snip>

You mean this movie re-animated the series? Jeffrey Combs is a brilliant actor and he IS Herbert West. "Beyond Re-Animator" gave me a "gutful" of laughs and I look forward to the DVD.

Now with all the talk brewing about a Horror Channel on Broadband Channels (no it's not "Gigli" on a continuous loop), I wonder if the Channel would like to put its money where its dripping maw is and produce a "Re-Animator" series of small screen movies or a television series. If done right, a t.v. series based on "Herbert West" or an anthology, say "Arkham, Mass." with Stuart Gordon directing would have an audience.

So this will be a digital cable station? I guess this means I'll have to look into upgrading my service next year to digital.

But I agree if they are this eager to cash in a celebrate horror Lovecraft is one source thy should definitly mine. They should look at things like reanimator or CoC and see where they can create shows. Chaosium should try to make adeal (I've heard someone around here talking about a need for them to start making successful tie ins this network could be an excellent launch site for these companies.). I wouldn't mind seeing maybe an anthology series focusing on the mythos at various times in history.

Plus with all the indie and shorts work done that focuses on Lovecraft or Lovecraft-inspired stories, they could fill at least an occassional evening or 2, not to mention have a full season of Lovercrafian shorts tyoe of show.
>>>YOG RADIO<<<

#9 MrFilthyIke

MrFilthyIke

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 11:29 AM

http://www.horrorchannel.com/hc1/

One word: Sweet. :)

(note to self, need digital cable next year)
"The Old Ones were, the Old Ones are, and the Old Ones shall be. Not in the spaces we
know, but between them, They walk serene and primal, undimensioned and to us unseen."

#10 OddJack

OddJack

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 07:22 AM

Interesting thing. I was rewatching the newest version of the Re-Animator DVD. In the interviews, Stuart Gordon talks about his original intent. Seems at first that he wanted to do a 13 episode series for Herbert West. He also mentioned doing an anthology series. So maybe he could be convinced to get involved at least on a short term status. I would really like to see what he'd do with the chance.
>>>YOG RADIO<<<