Photo
- - - - -

Why would you want to contact a Yithian?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 ZeroMostel

ZeroMostel

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

I have a friend in a game I am not in who is jazzed because he just found the spell, Contact Yithian. He wants me to do the spell circle for it for a hamburger dinner.

My Question is; WHY on earth would you even want to contact a Yithian?

#2 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

They have knowledge of the future. You could make a killing on sports bets. Also they have knowledge of the past and where it is buried. So good for treasure hunting.

Come read about Dreamhounds of Paris actually being played.

The Armitage Files, now with added Ennie Award.
Cthulhu Britannica: London Box Set, now with Golden Geek runner-up award.

#3 banshee

banshee

Lesser Servitor

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

Perhaps they know how to deal with the Hounds of Tindalos?

Or their knowledge about spacetime, consciousness or some other subject is wanted? They're probably 'safer' to contact for information than Yog-Sothoth or Nyarlathotep  ;)

"I've decided to be a vacuum-cleaner. It's the easiest job in the world: Show me a vacuum, and I'll clean it."

#4 Mytholder

Mytholder

Breakfast Clubber

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

You don't remember, but you were the host to a Yithian intelligence. You spent centuries in one of their cone-shaped bodies. You can't admit it to yourself, but this human form now feels entirely alien to you; you can never be at home in your own skin again. You're instinctively looking for a way to escape this absurd, random splatter of jointed limbs and fragile organs, so you can return to the geometric perfection of that beautiful cone, with its elegant, flexible tentacles and sensible arrangement of sense-organs. 

#5 ElijahWhateley

ElijahWhateley

Greater Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

They can give you all sorts of advanced science and technology. They can change the past and the future. They can change your past and your future, if you can actually offer them something they want (there's an example from Future/Perfect of a Yithian agent who the Yithians recruit by changing her life so she winds up a wealthy PhD instead of a homeless beggar, and making sure she remembers both). They know most of the secrets of space and time. They have something of a human conspiracy working for them, and another working against them. They're some of the least malevolent creatures in the Mythos. At least some of them have even spent great lengths of time studying humanity and talking to/working with live humans, with no goal other than knowledge, so it might actually be possible to carry on a conversation with one without going crazy or being eaten.

And, yeah, somehow they figured out how to not have problems with Hounds of Tindalos. And if you need a solution for Hounds, then you really need it.

In the Mythos, there is no such thing as cannon.

#6 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA - In the cool, dark earthen floor. USA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

I have a friend in a game I am not in who is jazzed because he just found the spell, Contact Yithian. He wants me to do the spell circle for it for a hamburger dinner.

You haven't read this,http://en.wikipedia....dow_Out_of_Time, have you ? 

'Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911, But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shyte out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get' . 

#7 Corum89

Corum89

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

Best Reason:   Free Hamburger Dinner.

"Screw your idea check! I poke it with a stick!" - Blatantly stolen from JDemlow

#8 ZeroMostel

ZeroMostel

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:24 PM

You haven't read this,http://en.wikipedia....dow_Out_of_Time, have you ? 

I saw the Movie.

#9 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:10 AM

Well something a lot of folks don't know, is that Yithians give the best foot massages in the galaxy.

And they love doing them...unlike somebody's girlfriend...not pointing any claws at anyone. (Fallingtower has aching feet)

"The die is cast"
- Julius Caesar (ultimate power gamer)

“Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.”
HPL

#10 ZeroMostel

ZeroMostel

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:20 AM

Contact Yithian

Got the Circle Done and posted. Let me know what you think. Just follow the link.

#11 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA - In the cool, dark earthen floor. USA

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:33 AM

Your circles /artwork, while interesting, seem to be a mish-mash of images vaguely related to the specific subject or entity. They just don't seem that well thought out or unique.

Additionally, I recognize a lot of fonts as proprietary to other artists, and cannot believe you haven't received at least one 'cease and desist letter' to date.

http://zero-mostel.d...ircle-151302834

https://www.google.c...rn.html;650;300

'Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911, But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shyte out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get' . 

#12 fox01313

fox01313

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:02 AM

I think that the agents that might help them out are for the one reason of just lost knowledge of the past or secrets of the possible future. As the future is rather flexible it might be hard to tell what timeline certain actions go to but if after occult secrets, the past is the best way to get some of that with the Yithian's help.

"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

#13 ZeroMostel

ZeroMostel

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

Your circles /artwork, while interesting, seem to be a mish-mash of images vaguely related to the specific subject or entity. They just don't seem that well thought out or unique.

Additionally, I recognize a lot of fonts as proprietary to other artists, and cannot believe you haven't received at least one 'cease and desist letter' to date.

Thank you for your candor.  :-D  This is the first Negative feedback I have gotten In all this time. People have been usually over awed or just weirded out. I'll try harder on the next few. BY the way, if you can do better, please do so! I'd love to see it.

As for the fonts, All the fonts I have found have been free off the web, Free for personal use. If I use something from someone else that is copy-written I normally credit them. Anyway. If I get a cease and desist order on any of my stuff I'll take it down. But so far all I have been getting is are cries of "MORE! MORE!"

:8E:

#14 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

I'd assume the Pnakotic Pentagram would be involved.
My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#15 ZeroMostel

ZeroMostel

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:20 PM

I'd assume the Pnakotic Pentagram would be involved.

It is. I included it on The Caster side of the circle.

#16 fox01313

fox01313

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:43 AM

Of course there is the flip side to this, you could have the players run across someone or some animal that's far too intelligent naturally which turns out to be a mental prison of a yithian or someone that they did the mind transfer to & found that they were too much a danger to the rest of them. Then it might be quite interesting for anyone nearby with this person/animal who might be a threat with other mental abilities (like the animal spells as a supernatural ability).

"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

#17 Wembley

Wembley

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

It rather depends on the Yithian - might be a lathe-operator, an airship engineer or a social worker. The time travel crew must be a tiny minority.

#18 cwyllog

cwyllog

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

perhaps he had a colonoscopy recently and feels he needs advice on the best way to deal with polyps?

#19 ElijahWhateley

ElijahWhateley

Greater Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

The time travel crew must be a tiny minority.

One would hope they're the ones reached by a contact spell; at the very least the "closest" Yithian would be a time-traveler in the present (of when the spell is cast) rather than one a few million years back.

In the Mythos, there is no such thing as cannon.

#20 Celebrim

Celebrim

Master

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:54 AM

I've always been at least a little bit sympathetic to the Yithians.  They are one of the few mythos races that is not needless cruel, nor do they revel in vile acts, nor are they enslaved to some horrid being.  For a mythos race, they are remarkably sane and durable.  They have managed to maintain a rational science and a society.  Sure they are jaded to the point of insensitivity at times, but they are trapped in a nightmare universe and they know it, and they can't win, but they are doing the best they can despite it all.  Humanity will not do nearly as well as the Yithians.  I imagine the cones whose society and minds they stole might feel a bit differently, but compared to other mythos races they are positively benevolent toward humanity and even seem to feel some pity or sympathy toward the lesser race.