• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 Grinder

Grinder

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

Watched yesterday the premiere of the HBO's new series True Detective. Very interesting fiction drama about police investigation on ghastly serial killer crimes. 

Starring Matthew McConnaughey and Woody Harrelson the series in 8 episodes is well above average. What caught my attention was the nihilistic and pessimistic storyline and the very solid characters.

Moreover, in the second episode of True Detective, the author Robert Chambers and elements of his stories are mentioned and seem to be important to the plot. Apparently the serial killer is somehow influenced by the fantastic descriptions of ruined Carcosa and the King Yellow.

Sorry for any possible mispelling. English is not my native language.
It's Portuguese (and AKLO).

Join YSDC Today

#2 Paddurz

Paddurz

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • LocationWest (Best) Coast of Sweden

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

Watched the first episode myself just now, became interested in the series from the post by @Grinder. Loved the vignette, awesome and beautifully done with overlays.

Interesting start, loved the slow pace and the mystery slowly deepening. The parallel story, one "now" and one in 1995 (partly told in flashbacks) is drawing you in more and more. If you're looking for fast action this does not appear to be the show for you.

As I'm also a big Person Of Interest fan it is rather confusing to find the actors Clarke Peters and Jay O. Sanders turning up as I'm used to see them as the POI's super-villains "Alonzo Quinn" and "Special Counsel" - they are great actors so I'm not surprised but it did take me by surprise.

"True Detective" looks like a solid series, at least judged by the first episode. Looks more like a mini-series than the regular episodic tv-shows where a new case is solved in each new episode. I like this one! Not very Lovecraftian yet (other perhaps than mentioned by @Grinder).

Edited by Paddurz, 13 January 2014 - 08:25 PM.

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

http://twitter.com/paddurz

#3 Dreadwatcher

Dreadwatcher

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:50 AM

This was really good, the acting was spot on and everything modern CoC should be, looking forward to the next episode. While not a depiction of the yellow sign, that symbol on the prostitute's back looked awfully familiar...

#4 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Florida

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:28 AM

I just watched the second episode and they had a rather extensive mention of the King in Yellow and several other mythos related tidbits connected with the King in Yellow. It seems connected to the murdered girl, and a mysterious church discovered by a notice on a thick yellow paper. Moreover, the symbolism and occult connections seem to be growing as the series moves foward. But we are only two episodes in so we shall see what else happens as the series continues.

#5 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationMonterey, California

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:46 AM

Very keen on this. It reminds me of several stories in A Season in Carcosa.

#6 CsabTheHun

CsabTheHun

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

Already one of my favorite shows of the recent years. 

"You all just wanna know about the raid in the woods" - that quote just sent shivers down my spine...

Edited by CsabTheHun, 21 January 2014 - 03:01 PM.

#7 Mik

Mik

Master

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Locationthe Netherlands

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

"You all just wanna know about the raid in the woods" - that quote just sent shivers down my spine...

Same here! From the first episode on I already had this weird tingling feeling that this might somehow become a bit more occult than they previously had let on. The second episode only confirms that. All the existential struggling, Cole's visions, the already occult atmosphere of Louisiana..

Then I read somewhere that a lot of reviewers already have the first four episodes. To quote one: 'True Detective turns occult, fast, and is gonna be to Lovecraftian/Weird Fiction fans what Twin Peaks did for Lynchian/Stephen King bindings. The best part is? People who watched Episode 1 of True Detective don't even know it yet.;

I honestly can't recall being this enthousiastic over a show for a long time!

#8 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

Finally something to fill in the Breaking Bad hole in my soul.

"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”

Listen to us playing in Skype of Cthulhu

#9 Dreadwatcher

Dreadwatcher

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

Another strong episode, I wonder if Cole's narco days flashbacks will provide visions of Carcosa? On a related note, regards the more recent murders I suspect it's him, hence the reason for the present day police interviews.    

#10 paladin2769

paladin2769

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:13 AM

Yeah, I think Cole has failed one too many a Sanity check....   :)

#11 Rhadaman

Rhadaman

Master

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:26 AM

Solid first two episodes, when I heard "The King in Yellow" and "Carcosa" my jaw actually dropped. I was in on the show from episode one, and now I am ALL in. Only 8 episodes?

Edited by Rhadaman, 22 January 2014 - 01:26 AM.

#12 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationMonterey, California

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:52 AM

Anyone notice the refinery on the far side of the lake, like a weird city?...

Rhadaman,

The show runs for 8 and then the next year has a whole new story with new characters and actors.

#13 christian

christian

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

I found this article very interesting (may contain spoilers)

http://insidetv.ew.c...ctive-premiere/

christian lehmann

#14 Asmodas

Asmodas

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

Wow, I wanted to watch this show before I heard about the King in Yellow connection. Now I MUST WATCH.

#15 Shuikkanen

Shuikkanen

Initiate

• 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

I am watching the 2nd episode when the Rust reads the diary and mentions the King in Yellow. I stopped, went ".... What?" and reversed to verify if I'd heard right. Then my jaw literally dropped.

The signs and the atmosphere were there, though. When the sheriff showed the picture of the "green-eared man" the kid had ran away from in the woods, I idly considered using something like that in a game later, when the characters are still in the phase where they think (just as the ones in the show here) that it's nothing, just a girl with a vivid imagination. Of course, the rules of narrative conservation dictate that it's bound to relevant, but I thought at the time that it was either going to turn out to be "just" a weird-looking hermit/junkie relevant to the plot and the girl's imagination had made him seem weirder than he really was, or, as I have heard this series is reminiscent of Zodiac and Memories of Murder, that it's a deliberate aversion of this narrative rule, that it's really just one pointless dead-end that seems intriguing but ultimately leads nowhere (those two films, the latter is a Korean excellent crime film, and, although it's sometimes called the Korean Zodiac, actually predates Fincher's film, take both a realistic approach to portraying detective work in a serial killer case: that it's maddening, frustrating, full of false leads, and the end result is that no-one is any closer to catching the killer but the lead detectives have burned-out from stress and obsessiveness).

Well, I naturally immediately rushed off to yog-sothoth.com to see if anyone had made a thread of this already, and here it is...

#16 AshtonRCClarke

AshtonRCClarke

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

I'll have to watch these. Saw the previews before the show came out, but didn't catch any Lovecraftian references.

#17 Badger

Badger

Squamous Studios

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

Arrgggh! I so wish i had HBO right now! :(

Designer of Eldritch Tomes for Chaosium, Pagan, MRP, GGP
www.squamousstudios.com || Twitter: @squamousstudios
The only way to escape terror is to bury yourself in it.

#18 Dreadwatcher

Dreadwatcher

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:39 AM

Arrgggh! I so wish i had HBO right now! :(

Do you really need to?  :?

#19 Venture42

Venture42

Initiate

• 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:51 AM

If you are a fan of the mythos, you should check out True Detective on HBO. Without getting into spoilers, there are a couple of interesting broad hints of something more in the first episode, and a big hint of things to come in the second. Check it out. It's more than just a cop show. Also, great acting and story telling.

#20 Corum89

Corum89

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:18 AM

Already one of my favorite shows of the recent years. 

"You all just wanna know about the raid in the woods" - that quote just sent shivers down my spine...

Yeah I was picturing Old Castro or  Inspector LeGrasse when he said that.

Tsathoggua: "Dude!  Get in here!  They are talking about you on TV!"

(From the Kitchen) The King:  "What?"

Tsathoggua:  "They're talking about you on the telly!  The ladies are going to be all over you!"

The King (enters, with ramen bowl in hand):  "Me?  Who 's talking about me?"

Tsathoggua:  "Matthew McConaughey."

The King (crestfallen): [Exits.]

"Screw your idea check! I poke it with a stick!" - Blatantly stolen from JDemlow

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TV, Spoilers