508 replies to this topic

#41 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:01 AM

By the way, for folks planning to run this who, like myself, may not have looked carefully at the big picture:

Act 2 is very free form. There's the order stuff is written in. There's the order you might prefer your players to choose, if you were to make your preference known.

Then, there's the likely order, which I could have figured out by, oh, looking at a map.

Act 1 ends in Los Angeles. The nearest Act 2 location is Mexico City. This makes the likely planned order (as it is with my group) Los Angeles to Mexico City to Malta to Ethiopia to Bangkok.

But, Mexico City has the pointer to the Yucatan, as well as the name of the mountain clue. It is likely that, after Mexico City, the group will go right to the Yucatan. It is not unlikely that they will head for Mount Kailash immediately thereafter.

I am thinking of using a visitation from the dead to tell one investigator that Mexico City only holds part of the answer, and to use the analogy that the authors have in the FAQ at the Pelgrane site. If I don't or if that doesn't work, I'll likely go with, "Okay, they'll reach the mountain, and maybe guess at where they need to be, but the timing won't be right." I think that's legit. I don't want to force things. And, I suppose, skipping any one locale is fine. But, I'd rather they not skip three.

We'll see what happens. I'm trying to get a list of cool folks who might be in Mexico City in 1937 and what music might be heard playing there.

#42 AirborneXO

AirborneXO

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

Am following your tale Lisa with eager eyes as I've personally not read beyond Act 1 yet (and Achtung Cthulhu preparation is getting in the way!).

Based on WatsonSE's NPC cards I adapted them using google images to supply the pictures and removing the text so that my players can fill in their own information onto the cards (something they are used to doing with Masks and Tatters of the King).

Enjoy (its 3.4mb and therefore could not attach to this post): https://dl.dropboxus...PC cards v2.pdf

Cheers, Hal

Edited by AirborneXO, 31 December 2013 - 02:13 PM.

Arkham Investigator: Macabre detection in the worlds of H.P. Lovecraft
Follow Arkham Investigator on Facebook
Messing with videos since 2009!

#43 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

Thanks -- I used most of his cards, but not all. I swapped pictures for:

Henslow -- I used a disheveled William Macy

Echevarria -- I used Ryan Gosling

Ayers -- I used a picture from some university site or other, as the young Ayers picture really doesn't work with the older Ayers picture, and I want to use the older Ayers picture in its full gruesome detail

And some minor NPCs I'm not looking up right now.

#44 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

New pics file printed -- thanks.

#45 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

Okay, we had a 6th session, and I've now sent over three dozen questions to Will Hindmarch (he's gathering them, and some of them are really minor things).

So, has anyone else noticed the odd thing I've noticed?

In Mexico City, suddenly, the incredibly addictive Nectar is suddenly not so potent. Consider:

-- Gonchi has tried it a few times, and prefers Tequila and cigarettes.

-- The musicians only do it because they get it for free. Seriously, they each have a dose on them, and they don't have any urge to do it now.

-- Konovalov is an addict, but he's willing to kick the habit on the spot if the investigators bargain with him.

-- None of the above vibe like they've gone around having lots of sex while on Nectar.

My theory is that, given the Major Mouths shape what they are and do to the desires of the cultists around them, and given the obsessive focus on music and on the combination of music and Nectar, the Nectar of Mexico City is just less potent on its own. It's more potent when combined with recordings of La Luz and La Boca. But, Gonchi hasn't really listened to those. The musicians, sure, they play the music -- in a sealed studio, probably with headphones on, and they're not on Nectar when they're working.

That leaves Konovalov. Maybe he just has a strong will -- although none of these folks are strong willed enough to act against the cult without an outside push from the PCs. Still, I can buy that any one of the six gentlemen might be strong willed enough here. But, maybe he's not listening to the music so much. He is, after all, busy being an enforcer and herder of drug addicted cultists. Certainly, he's functional enough to restrain Brooks from a complete and instant self immolation. Heck, maybe he carries earplugs.

Meanwhile, the investigator who's a Nectar addict told his brother (who knows he just had some bad drug experience and suggested he go to a clinic to recover) that he'd be going to a clinic in Mexico City, and made a Reassurance Spend to back it up. His two sisters showed up to make sure he got to the clinic, causing a scramble as the PCs rushed to set up the character going to an actual, high end place, and arranging for the sisters to visit once a day at the same time. So far, so good, even when the sisters did a surprise earlier visit.

But these two sisters are young and in Mexico City, and happy to enjoy themselves in between visits to their brother. So, guess who's going to be at the party in Coyoacan, when the investigators show up that night, including the one who's supposed to be at the clinic?

#46 KnaveRupe

KnaveRupe

Master

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

First of all, thanks to AirborneXO and Lisa for posting all this great stuff - this has been an amazing help for me in running the game! Kudos!

Here's a copy of a record label for the Luz recording, if anyone wants to use it. I printed it out and affixed it to an old 78 rpm record. I suspect that my players will ridiculously overestimate my prop creation abilities and try to find a real-life turntable on which to play the prop record. I can already taste their disappointment.

By the way, has anyone found (or recorded) a piece of creepy spanish music to play for their players? I've been looking, but have thus far turned up bupkis. If I find a slow, creepy, 1930's-y sounding instrumental and get someone to sing the spanish lyrics over it, I'll post it, but if someone's already done so, then I will happily use that, Because, laziness.

ETA: Here's a song that might be usable. If I get a chance, I'm going to do some pitch and tempo processing on it to make it creepier, and maybe add in some "mi corazon, mi amore, mi nombre, mi boca" underneath it.

Edited by KnaveRupe, 13 January 2014 - 04:16 PM.

#47 AirborneXO

AirborneXO

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

Nice label thanks dude! Ran session 1 yesterday and actually recorded the session! :)

Btw what is the correct pronunciation of Echavarria? I went with Eckk-a-varia :/

Cheers, Hal

Edited by AirborneXO, 13 January 2014 - 06:11 PM.

#48 KnaveRupe

KnaveRupe

Master

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

That's how I pronounced it as well. 

#49 Epimetreus

Epimetreus

Master

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:58 PM

Nice label thanks dude! Ran session 1 yesterday and actually recorded the session! :)

Btw what is the correct pronunciation of Echavarria? I went with Eckk-a-varia :/

Cheers, Hal

"Echevarria" is pronounced "ehcheh-va-RIA". The "ch" is as in "child"; the accent is on the final syllable.

#50 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:15 AM

"REE-ah" or "ree-AH"?

Is the recording available?

#51 AirborneXO

AirborneXO

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

It's being edited and ill have to check with my players as they are a touch camera shy :)

#52 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

Fair enough.

#53 AirborneXO

AirborneXO

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

Sent you a PM Lisa :)

#54 Epimetreus

Epimetreus

Master

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

"REE-ah" or "ree-AH"?

REE-ah. Sorry, should have put that in. There's an accent mark on the "i" when spelled in Spanish - it's Echevarría. Though I think the name is originally Basque, and spelled very differently in that language.

#55 AirborneXO

AirborneXO

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for that Epimetreus - I was wondering how to say it right :)

So after session 1 my players failed to access the joy grove files, they cant learn much here (but I made some handouts which would be a shame to waste) - I am going to equip the Thai thugs with an additional note from their boss SS! I've not yet printed it up, but it is another little word puzzle (my players like meta puzzles that they have to work out, not their investigators):

m. Ybru; tes, be(su) r-eto (kee) paclo see yeon hen (slow) ean djo bth. Eyareh, elda tjoyg rove insav (anna) hbe su!

Reth atan. Yone wh oatt empts tocon. Tactt hem iswar neda:

Wa yifp (oss)i bl-esee wh att.

Heir doc torha swrit tena bou tthe minhi snot esd onot.

Failus!!! S

As I said this is a farily simple word puzzle roll over for the acutal text:

Spoiler

Cheers, Hal

Edited by AirborneXO, 19 January 2014 - 02:51 PM.

#56 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:12 AM

Thanks for that Epimetreus - I was wondering how to say it right :)

So after session 1 my players failed to access the joy grove files, they cant learn much here (but I made some handouts which would be a shame to waste) - I am going to equip the Thai thugs with an additional note from their boss SS! I've not yet printed it up, but it is another little word puzzle (my players like meta puzzles that they have to work out, not their investigators):

Cool. I'm thinking of having her send her thugs to Martin's sisters or to his brother with an offer to buy Trammel's library, and escalate things from there.

Will post 6th write up when I have a chance. Am working on 7th, where we had all players (one via hangout) and Josh playing Martin's sisters, and one of Lillian's pillars got shattered. Boom.

Meanwhile, am pondering what Captain Walker will make of her two telegrams sent during the 6th session. In the first she tries to hire him to get a letter from one of Martin's sources of stability (nicely first) so she can give it to Martin and not read it, and gives him bank account information, trusting, not unreasonably, that the man smart enough to sell Trammel out won't just empty her bank account.

The second telegram tells him never mind, as the situations has been resolved, but adds that he should feel free to take out any reasonable compensation from her account.

I'm trying to figure out what, if anything, he's done, and what he thinks.

He's not going to the local mafia. He's currently an independent agent, and he has no reason to risk that changing.

Five days have passed between the two telegrams.

The man with the letter, Samuel Jenner, simply wasn't in LA at whatever point Walker got the first telegram, but making his way to Mexico City. So, Walker hadn't had any opportunity to locate him.

Samuel Jenner is a) Martin's on again off again lover, b ) nominally his boss, and c) a rich legitimate New York businessman, as his family owns a chain of discount department stores (which was a business that did well during the Depression). I've been told that, in general, the mafia isn't about to pick on legitimate businesses run by rich folks, but I've no idea whether that is / was true.

Lillian Avery is also rich (Credit Rating 5) (Dilettante, rich heiress).

So, I don't know if he started to do research (or had his people do that), stopped when the telegram came, and took compensation for expenses; if he started to do research, stopped when the telegram came, and took no money; started to do research and stopped when he learned who Jenner was (he already knows who Lillian is); or if he never started in the first place.

Would he think of this as a business matter, regardless of the situation? Would he think of it as too risky when he found out who Jenner was? Would he think of it as a rich girl / young woman being a ditz between hiring him for this and then calling it off? Would he think of it as a future opportunity, and if so, what kind of opportunity?

I'm pondering this, but would be grateful for other people's ideas.

Edited by Lisa, 21 January 2014 - 07:18 AM.

#57 WatsonSE

WatsonSE

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

In my preparations to run Eternal Lies in a few weeks I printed and prepared the letters from Henslow (from this thread). But then I added some markings on the first two, to represent Mr. Winstons attempts to "decipher" them. Some of the markings are just nonsense, but I also circled letters so that when added one letter after the other forms the words "losangeles" and "eccavarria". Thought that it could be cool for other Keepers to know and perhaps copy.

Edited by WatsonSE, 22 January 2014 - 04:34 PM.

/Watson

"Elementary, my dear Sherlock..."

#58 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

In my preparations to run Eternal Lies in a few weeks I printed and prepared the letters from Henslow (from this thread). But then I added some markings on the first two, to represent Mr. Winstons attempts to "decipher" them. Some of the markings are just nonsense, but I also circled letters so that when added one letter after the other forms the words "losangeles" and "eccavarria". Thought that it could be cool for other Keepers to know and perhaps copy.

Absolutely. The thing to make sure of is that, if you want the investigators to hit every lead in Savannah, you don't give them anything that would make them think they had enough information to skip something, but I think your idea walks the line well.

#59 KnaveRupe

KnaveRupe

Master

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

Here's a link to a flowcharty-diagrammy thing I made for tracking the possible investigative paths in the Los Angeles spine. I'm working on the other locations and will post the links as edits to this entry as I get them done.

Hopefully someone else might find these useful.

Act 1: Los Angeles

Act 2: Bangkok

Act 2: Ethiopia

Act 2: Malta

Act 2: Mexico City

Act 2: The Yucatan

#60 WatsonSE

WatsonSE

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

Absolutely. The thing to make sure of is that, if you want the investigators to hit every lead in Savannah, you don't give them anything that would make them think they had enough information to skip something, but I think your idea walks the line well.

The idea is to both have some kind of scribbling on the actual handouts (as it is on the "real letters") and to let the players that decipher the two words feel cool. It is intentional that the words do not help them (they get Eccavarrias name from Job and get the lead to Los Angeles at the end of the chapter anyways).
/Watson

"Elementary, my dear Sherlock..."