CEARLAN

#23 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:33 PM

Thread question -- so, I'm running this, and jotting down questions, making the occasional handout, and doing write ups.

Handouts go here. Write ups go in the blog on site.

What about spoilery discussions of the campaign and questions? Where do you want to post those?

#24 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

My first Keeper was as devoted and talented as you when providing props - and no surprise after 30 years I'm still hooked.

Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#25 Zed Lopez

Zed Lopez

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:02 PM

Here's a stylized map of Los Angeles from 1934 (the placemat of Bullock's Tea Room):

http://www.flickr.co...N08/5338651467/

This flickr account has a bunch of other stuff that might be of interest, but I haven't looked closely yet.

http://www.flickr.co...55118@N08/sets/

1932 road map of southern California:

http://www.flickr.co...ol-1018564@N25/

1934 Shell road map of US:

http://www.flickr.co...|mytravelphotos

http://www.flickr.co...|mytravelphotos

Edited by Zed Lopez, 11 December 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#26 AirborneXO

AirborneXO

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

Very cool nice find on those maps!!

Cheers, Hal
Arkham Investigator: Macabre detection in the worlds of H.P. Lovecraft
Follow Arkham Investigator on Facebook
Messing with videos since 2009!

#27 Zed Lopez

Zed Lopez

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:24 AM

Here's an even better LA map from 1932:

http://www.bigmapblo...f-america-1934/

#28 PelgranePress

PelgranePress

Pelgrane Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Here's a few pics of the above handouts:

The find from the Henslowe house -

These are brilliant! I'd love to get hold of these resources for the website, and if you were willing to write something about all this, that would be great!

Simon Rogers
Pelgrane Press Ltd

#29 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:32 AM

Just had fourth session tonight. First three are finally written up on my wiki and will try to cross post in my blog on this site. I'm not sure if I went to easy or just right this past session, but I think I hit the creepy notes I wanted to hit.

#30 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:11 AM

First two write ups posted on my blog here, as are the things written by the players after the second session.

#31 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:49 AM

Third write up now on my blog. I'm getting my thoughts in order for the fourth one, pondering having Trammel add some material at the end, directly addressing one of the investigators.

Short version: The investigators, who have both good mob connections and good cop connections, bought out Walker. I thought about this, and it made sense. He's in it for the money, and he can make at least as much money as an independent operator for the mob. He had reason to believe the situation was getting out of his control. He's a business man, and this deal allows him his exit strategy -- with most of his own people intact. Trammel was arrested on the grounds that there were underage people in the orgies. Not my idea, but when asked, I figured it made sense that there would be. He's recruiting from street people and he's not exactly checking IDs.

So, at this point, the group wants to do two things:

1. Get access to Trammel's study. Not a problem -- they can use Cop Talk, Bargain, Reassurance, whatever.

2. Deal with what's in the basement. One of their priorities was keeping cops from getting addicted en masse to Nectar. This I will need to work out with them, as we did a bit of a quick wrap up as it was getting late. Oh, the basement is still live; that's not an issue. It's just a question of how they wanted to a) evacuate it while b ) keeping the cops away from it, and I'm willing to work with them within reason. (I suspect keeping all the cops away isn't happening, but minimizing the damage might.)

In addition, they're trying to make sure Trammel doesn't survive long in prison. So, I'm trying to balance a couple of things here. One is having him around to be creepy. The other is having him not answer all the questions.

I figure that, whatever does happen, it isn't happening overnight. He's rich enough to have a lawyer on tap, and to have contacts among the rich and influential who have reason not to want to get on his bad side, even now. He could certainly tell a tale or two about them if he wanted to. So, incarcerated awaiting trial sounds like a reasonable state as the group leaves LA.

But, at the same time, if he's able to pull that off, he might be able to pull off having a lawyer or bodyguard or both around him, able to tell the investigators to go away if they're persistent.

Oh, if they're determined to kill him and pull out weapons for this, sure, chips fall where they may. If they're clever enough to slip him a Nectar overdose, like one person wants (out of an odd sense of poetic justice), I'm willing to let the dice and spends decide. That's his physical safety, not the information he could give away.

It's just that one of the characters a) did Nectar and b ) got inside as a new recruit to the production staff. Having Trammel playing with him a la Hannibal Lector could be interesting.

I still am not sure how much of Trammel's book I can write in a week, but I can probably put in new material even if I don't try to create the stuff already mentioned in the text.

Mind, if someone else has created any part of his book, do let us all know!

Edited by Lisa, 14 December 2013 - 10:07 PM.

#32 WatsonSE

WatsonSE

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

I just got this DVD from Amazon, almost an hour full of news and TV-stuff from 1937.

2cqjkp4.jpg

http://www.amazon.co...ds=History 1937

/Watson

"Elementary, my dear Sherlock..."

#33 AirborneXO

AirborneXO

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

Sound like your campaign is going great guns Lisa - I like the inside man angle and trammel as a lector style villan (have you seen the newest series...kinda feels weird rooting for a canibal!)

That DVD looks very cool Watson but alas Christmas had left me tapped out financially speaking ;)

Cheers, Hal
Arkham Investigator: Macabre detection in the worlds of H.P. Lovecraft
Follow Arkham Investigator on Facebook
Messing with videos since 2009!

#34 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:41 AM

Working on supplying something in the way of a handout for the Testament. I want to plant a couple of clues that -- well, it's not so much that I want a fair chance for the players to figure a couple of things out as that I want them to feel that it all fits when the reveals come. So:

-- I want them ultimately to understand not just what Echavarria was trying to do (which becomes clear once they succeed, if they do, in Tibet), but also why. So, I want to plant in the Testament, in Savitree's library, in Malta, in Ayers's mouth, wherever I can, something. Currently, the best thing I have in mind is to emphasize Echavarria's ego. I'm open to other suggestions.

-- I want them to think that it makes sense when they realize Job's role. The thing is, the "clue" is that Job was obsessed with math, and in a way, that's an anti-clue, as the text goes out of its way to say that Job was no kind of math genius, just someone who wanted to be thought good at math. I've done the Savannah chapter, and there's nothing in it to indicate Job is obsessive about math or any more obsessive than any of a number of cultists of any rank. There's nothing to indicate that Echavarria didn't put spells on everyone. I'm putting in the addendum to the Testament Trammel saying that he never understood why Echavarria was fascinated by Job.

-- Similarly, there's nothing to indicate how close Ayers and Job were. Job just doesn't get why he can't remember Ayers's name, which is hardly an indication. Ayers introduced him to Echavarria, sure, but Job focuses on the sex, the drugs, and the violence. Maybe I can make more of a Job files handout. Ayers himself will remember Job fondly, but this doesn't indicate a lot, and I would be stunned if anyone told him that Job was either doing better or showing self discipline. Again, I'm okay if the players miss this, but right now, there's no there there for them not to miss.

I'm also pondering: So, the investigators got help from the cop who didn't like having to close the books on the 1924 murders. Now, I'm sure he's just fine with locking Trammel away, or trying to, but whether that happens or not, Trammel didn't actually commit any of the murders, did he? He's in custody, and will be dealing with charges involving underage sex and drugs, sure, but not murder. In fact, he would probably be just fine telling people (possibly in return for consideration of a lesser sentence, but whatever), "Well, I'm not entirely sure what happened, but we were having this orgy and drugs, and then strangers burst in and started shooting us and setting the place on fire." I don't know if he'd be believed -- maybe the murders would be pinned on him anyway. He's convenient. But, maybe not. Not that it matters -- only Henslow's alive, and he's already institutionalized. I think I may handwave this one, but I am curious.

Current text of the Savitree letter I just wrote -- need to figure out a font (or handwrite it) and make up an address. Feel free to use, tweak, whatever -- if you do tweak it, tell us how! I might use your version instead.

Samuel,

When dealing with any entity of vast power, it is essential to be fully aware of the nature of that entity. To fail to do this, whether one wishes to worship or to destroy that entity, is to court disaster. This is true of any supposed god—why else do you think there have been vast libraries dedicated to exploring the nature of any acknowledged deity you care to name? Priests no less than scholars and sages have long understood this.

The same is true for our god. We operate in the darkness of ignorance when it is absolutely critical to know the metaphysical nature of what we venerate. You claim that the Thing With a Thousand Mouths has revealed itself to you as the being known as Nyarlathotep. Samuel, I tell you this: You are as like as not to be wrong in your conclusion. I have spent years tracking down works both common and obscure, sparing no expenses and no resources, using a variety of methods, and all of my researches simply do not reveal a correspondence between that entity and the name. In the absence of such a conclusion, I must accept as a working hypothesis that Echavarria was telling us the truth, and that the Thing With a Thousand Mouths is indeed Gol-Goroth.

My researches will continue, of course. And our rites continue as well, as, naturally, does production. Our rituals, of course, have evolved along different lines than your own. I extend the invitation to you, and indeed to any of your followers, although I am certain you will not accept it, to fight in our rites in Bangkok. You may instruct your disciples to present themselves at the Fragrant Honey Shop in the Phra Nakron, saying to the doorman ‘I have come to join with the circle of excess.

S.S.

#35 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:19 AM

I have no idea if any of this is any good, but I seem to have created a draft of Brooks's letters in the Testament. (The only letter dated is the last one, and that's based on the timing in my game.)

Dear Mr. Trammel,

We have been considering the power that comes from a Mouth's song. If our merely human mouths have the power to sooth the savage breast with our paltry song, how much more potent would this be! What we could learn! For the voice of a great Mouth may have the power to enchant or enlighten!

Sincerely,

J. B.

Dear Mr. Trammel,

Everything is in order. Thank you for your trust in us! I promise to you that we shall not let you down! The great Mouth's song shall ring out!

-- J. B.

Luz Records

P. O. Box #1629

Mexico City, Mexico

Mr. Trammel:

We have made our first record! I think you will find it everything you have hoped for! de la Luz and I are very proud of it. We will send it by way of Bangkok.

-- J. B.

Luz Records

P. O. Box #1629

Mexico City, Mexico

Trammel --

I am very glad you like the record. Is it not everything I have promised? And more?

This is something that has never before been done! We have found a new way to harness Our God's power! And the effect in combination with Nectar is most potent!

But, we shall go further. We will make a full album!

-- J. B.

Luz Records

P. O. Box #1629

Mexico City, Mexico

Trammel --

We are indeed working on our next recording. de la Luz works hard every day on this, and I have everything under control. We are very excited -- as I hope you also are -- about the profound possibilities of new songs!

-- J. B.

Luz Records

P. O. Box #1629

Mexico City, Mexico

Trammel --

The recording is taking longer than we expected, but do not fear. We will have it done soon. You will see. You will be very pleased with the results, I promise.

-- J. B.

Luz Records

P. O. Box #1629

Mexico City, Mexico

Mr. Trammel,

Yes, I am profoundly grateful to you, yes. I know you chose me above all the others to start our operations in Mexico City. I know that we are tasked with maintaining operations here, and ultimately, making sure the Nectar flows throughout North and South America. I have not forgotten this. Believe me, please, I have not forgotten it.

Yes, production levels are down, but this will be fixed as soon as the new recording is done. You have heard already what we have achieved! We can do so much more! I know this! All we need is a little more time.

Please be patient I swear to you, you will not be disappointed.

-- J. B.

Luz Records

P. O. Box #1629

Mexico City, Mexico

Trammel --

We have had some setbacks, but I know that we are now on the right track. Our new album will change everything! You will see -- no, you will hear it for yourself!

de la Luz and I do what we do for Our God. Everything will change once the album is done. Everything.

-- J. B.

Luz Records

P. O. Box #1629

Mexico City, Mexico

Trammel --

We are close now, so very close! What we are creating, it will be amazing! It will be a new experience to rival that of Nectar’s. It will be worth the wait. You will see.

Do not forgot that what de la Luz and I have accomplished has never before been done, not by you nor my Ramon Echavarria, not in Los Angeles or Malta or Bangkok. We have done this thing for Our God, that the Nectar will flow freely from the great Mouths!

Nectar distribution will return to its original rates once we’ve prepared our album.

-- J. B.

Luz Records

P. O. Box #1629

Mexico City, Mexico

9 April 1937

T --

The recordings continue, and we will have our album. You will see then. You and your god will see.

We have had setbacks, yes. But, de la Luz and I know what we are doing. We understand the situation in Mexico City. We are here, and we know what we are doing. You press us for details, but would you truly understand them? Have you told us the full details of what you are doing? Would you think well of us if we were to question your truths as you question ours?

We have not lost sight of why we are here. We have given it great consideration and come to conclusions about ourselves, our operations, our goals, and the god. We have done new things, true things, and we are continuing to explore and to learn the truth, even when others might wish us to believe old lies.

-- J. B.

#36 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:22 PM

Okay, the Malta part of the Testament stumped me. Here's all I have (with a hint of the Act III turn):

A short chapter in the Testament, handwritten earlier in the current year, offers a short treatise on various methods of “increasing the Yield of Emanates from the Most Holy Orifices of the Thing.”

It largely proposes a series of particular and depraved acts that would be theoretically pleasing to the Thing With a Thousand Mouths, and therefore stimulate additional Nectar production, but no hard data is provided, except in one specific instance.

Ramon spoke of sacrifice, saying that the greater the sacrifice, the greater the reward. I think he intended to demonstrate that, but he never had the chance. However, particular experiments conducted by Montgomery Donovan in Malta have, or so I am assured, demonstrated that a potent sacrifice has a potent reward. Because of this sacrifice, he was able to multiply by many times the blessing of our god's sputum.

This is the only actual case we have information about. It is, of course, impossible to ascertain the facts from a distance.

A ledger page folded into the leaf where this chapter was recorded appears to be a record of daily Nectar production in Valletta in the early part of 1937. Production seems to have been relatively constant up until February 2, after which it nearly triples, almost overnight. The date is marked with a star.

If I had a better handle on "particular and depraved acts", I could try to add material there.

If I had a better idea of quantities for the ledger, I could probably do a ledger sheet, but I have no idea what the numbers should look like here.

I'm also wondering -- so, one of the investigators has had Nectar at least twice, and he is an addict. He's trying to make sure he can't get any, which is fine. But, there doesn't seem to be any mechanical consequence to being an addict and unable to find Nectar. I've asked about this in my latest batch o'questions. I mean, let's say you're, oh, I don't know, trekking through the desert in Ethiopia without any Nectar. You can't find any out there. Forgetting, for a moment, the heat issues, are you suffering any mechanical effects from not being able to get your fix?

#37 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:50 AM

Working on supplying something in the way of a handout for the Testament. I want to plant a couple of clues that -- well, it's not so much that I want a fair chance for the players to figure a couple of things out as that I want them to feel that it all fits when the reveals come. So:

-- I want them ultimately to understand not just what Echavarria was trying to do (which becomes clear once they succeed, if they do, in Tibet), but also why. So, I want to plant in the Testament, in Savitree's library, in Malta, in Ayers's mouth, wherever I can, something. Currently, the best thing I have in mind is to emphasize Echavarria's ego. I'm open to other suggestions.

-- I want them to think that it makes sense when they realize Job's role. The thing is, the "clue" is that Job was obsessed with math, and in a way, that's an anti-clue, as the text goes out of its way to say that Job was no kind of math genius, just someone who wanted to be thought good at math. I've done the Savannah chapter, and there's nothing in it to indicate Job is obsessive about math or any more obsessive than any of a number of cultists of any rank. There's nothing to indicate that Echavarria didn't put spells on everyone. I'm putting in the addendum to the Testament Trammel saying that he never understood why Echavarria was fascinated by Job.

-- Similarly, there's nothing to indicate how close Ayers and Job were. Job just doesn't get why he can't remember Ayers's name, which is hardly an indication. Ayers introduced him to Echavarria, sure, but Job focuses on the sex, the drugs, and the violence. Maybe I can make more of a Job files handout. Ayers himself will remember Job fondly, but this doesn't indicate a lot, and I would be stunned if anyone told him that Job was either doing better or showing self discipline. Again, I'm okay if the players miss this, but right now, there's no there there for them not to miss.

I just saw the first season closer of Veronica Mars (yes, we are years behind the times. We are still working our way through David Tennant Doctor Who episodes). That is the feel I want to give my players. I did not guess the answer to the central mystery. I never saw it coming. And it was perfect. Everything fit with an audible click. The authors played totally fair; there was a slow and inevitable build up. And I never had a chance.

I want to give this to my players.

#38 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:07 AM

Leaving space so that spoilers show up lower than the fold.

By the by, one of my players correctly guessed the identity of the GOO out of character, citing the mouth motif. Another player instantly said that it couldn't be that GOO because there's always a headless being around -- and I did cut one reference to a lack of head for exactly that reason. Both like that the campaign goes to some pains to conceal who the GOO is.

Edited by Lisa, 16 December 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#39 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:15 AM

Made a couple more letters. I can upload documents later, but need some sleep now.

One is from Henslow (who still doesn't realize that Winston is dead). The other is from Dr. Keaton, angling for a donation from Janet Winston-Rogers. Session tomorrow.

Oh yes, Henslow is concerned about Lillian, who's one of the new PCs. Basically, she checked herself into Joy Grove before the game started, but quickly decided that, even if she does hear voices, she's not really crazy, and the voices told her she had to check herself out and help the other PCs. Henslow assumes "cultist spy", while Keaton is clueless.

Mr. W. Winston

High Branch Manor,

872 Kingsport Rd,

Aylesbury,

Massachusetts

Mr. D. Henslowe

513 West Henry Street,

Savannah,

Georgia.

April 26, 1937

Dear Walter,

I hope I have not done something foolish. But, I need to warn you. Lillian is gone.

She was here, but she left right after the people you sent to talk to me did. And this is too much for it to be merely a coincidence. We know better than that, don't we?

I found out that she had checked herself out. That's not something I can do. It's not something most people here can do. But, she did it. And, I found out that she decided to check herself in, originally.

While she was here, she made herself easy to talk to. Too easy. I see that now. She was here to spy. I don't remember how much I told her. I don't know whether I even believed what I said during those dark months before your new people found me. But, we are going to have to assume that she knows what we know, at the very least. I did find out her full name is Lillian Avery. She's young, I think younger than poor  Katherine was, but tell them not to let that fool them.

I know you cannot tell me how it is going. I would not. But, if you can tell me when it is over, that would be good. If you can tell me it is gone, they didn't get away with it, the others didn't die for nothing, if you could tell me this, I think I would sleep better.

Your Friend,

Douglas

Mrs. Janet. Winston-Rogers

High Branch Manor,

872 Kingsport Rd,

Aylesbury, Massachusetts

Dr. Jonathan Keaton

513 West Henry Street,

Savannah, Georgia

April 26, 1937

Dear Mrs. Winston Rogers,

Please accept my sincere condolences, however belated, for the loss of your father. While I did not have the pleasure of meeting him, one of my patients at Joy Grove, Mr. Douglas Henslow, knew him well and corresponded with him.

I learned of your loss shortly after a visit from a Mr. Vito de Genaro and his associates. They were looking into our institution for a purpose they could not name for legal reasons, but which, it was strongly implied, involved a grant or a donation to Joy Grove. Naturally, we showed them every courtesy, and while they were, of course, most discreet about whom they represented, the timing is indicative of our potential benefactor's identity, as was their choice of patients to interview.

We hope that they are satisfied with what they saw and heard, but, in the interest of full and honest disclosure, I thought it best to acquaint you with events occurring after their departure.

First of all, Mr. Henslow, while much improved by their visit, has taken to writing to Mr. Winston, as he remains ignorant of the current state of affairs. We have not presumed to enlighten him, but if you wish us to do so, of course we will. If you wish to visit him in person and explain matters, we will do our utmost to accommodate you.

Second, sometimes a patient at our institution will assume that a mere coincidence actually holds deep and significant meaning. Soon after the departure of Mr. de Genaro and his associates, one of our patients chose to check herself out. I hasten to add that this was not only her right, but entirely appropriate. We cannot, of course, reveal the details of her case, but I assure you that she was of entirely sound mind when she left, and that this was the reason for her departure.

Nevertheless, Mr. Henslow found the coincidence of timing significant and wove it into his longstanding self-protective narrative. He is not in a position to harm the young woman, or, indeed, anyone else. He is, as I have said, much improved, but we do not with to conceal facts from you or to be anything less than completely frank.

In closing, let me assure you that Joy Grove is an institution of which I am proud to be a part. We enjoy helping our patients, and even when we cannot grant them a full recovery, we pride ourselves on giving them as much of a restored and peaceful mind as we can. Should you ever wish to visit in person, it will be my pleasure to show you around the institution and let you see for yourself how much we have accomplished. It is our hope that we will continue to have the funding we need to provide the best care for our patients, both present and future.

Again, my sincerest condolences on your loss.

Holding you in my thoughts and prayers,

Dr. Jonathan Keaton

Dr. Jonathan Keaton

(Can't figure out how to do letterhead for the doctor's letter, but so it goes.)

#40 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:48 AM

Okay, so... I'm just not concerned even if I am pulling my punches when it comes to physical attacks. (I suspect I am.)

I'm not concerned that the players are almost certainly going to do Act 2 in the reverse order I'd hoped.

One of my players voluntarily shattered one of her character's Pillars of Sanity when another player's character said exactly the right thing at the right time.

The third player -- so, I had Henslow write to Winston again. Her character posted his previous letter in her cockpit. She's written him back.

It's been a good night.