#1 AirborneXO

AirborneXO

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:05 PM

Evening all,

Potential spoilers ahead in this thread so if you a player / likely to be a player on this campaign STOP NOW!!!

Okay so I really like props for the games and want to make Eternal Lies a little more immersive (plus my players like to keep journals and stick things in like location photos, npc cards and handouts - lots of handouts. Our last two campaigns ran by me, Masks and Tatters of the King had bucket loads of handouts but Eternal lies seems a little light so I got to thinking of making some of my own.

I want to do a 1937 newsreel - a kind of what is going on in the world type thing. But what I started on was Douglas Henslowe's Letters. I wanted actual letters that my players could open and read instead of a list of quotes.

Here is where I'm up to after an hour or so working on it, does this seem okay?

January 11th, 1925

Dearest Walter,

I am so glad to hear that you made it back safely. I’ll cut straight to the point my old friend, I need some corroborating evidence from you to set me back on the right track.

I have tried to piece things the events of last summer and recount them, but it is still sketchy in places and I see eyebrows begin to rise at some of the story. Perhaps if they could hear it from you as well?

Please write back with your account of what happened. My doctors simply will not believe me.

Your Friend,
    Douglas

June 16th, 1926

Dear Walter,

I apologize for writing again, I left it for as long as I was able before requesting your help once again. I understand your reluctance about being drawn into this business once again and that it not what I am asking for.

What I need is someone to back my story up to prove that the things I saw were indeed true and not some figment of my sub-conscious. That is what my Doctors are saying. Don’t worry I haven’t told them where any of this was and I won’t.

You don’t even have to put your name to it if you don’t want to, but I could really use your help.

Your Friend,
    Douglas

July 6th, 1927

Dear Walter,

Well its has been a year since I attempted to contact you old friend. I’ll admit thing haven’t been going that well for me of late and I keep thinking on that summer in 1924.

It has been playing on my mind and often I wake in a cold sweat thinking of our friends. Tell me they didn’t die for nothing. Tell me they didn’t get away with it!

I need to hear from a friend about now so if you can spare me a few moments to drop me a note I’d appreciate it.

Your Friend,
    Douglas

February 19th, 1929

Dear Walter,

They still won’t listen to my story, perhaps you could send word to my Doctors? I just keep going over it that August. Five years hasn’t dulled the pain. I just keep asking myself if they ‘d followed me out of there, they’d still be alive.

Why didn’t I make them? Why didn’t they just follow me? Is there more I could have done? These questions and others rob me of my sleep except when they give me the pills.

Please write back Walter, I need to hear from you. I need to prove I’m not crazy!

Yours sincerely,
    Douglas

September 27th, 1930

Walter,

I understand your reluctance to get involved but I have run out of options. If you’d just send word telling your version of events perhaps the doctors would believe you and me.

If not my only other recourse is to take there pills and pretend like all this is a fantasy. That is what they want to hear naturally. I’m sure that they will be pleased that I have given up insisting that my ‘story’ is truth.

If only you could see to helping me out on that score, for old time’s sake. I’m begging you...

Yours,
    Douglas

Feedback & C&C appreciated.

Cheers, Hal

Edited by Helen, 03 December 2013 - 08:12 PM.

Arkham Investigator: Macabre detection in the worlds of H.P. Lovecraft
Follow Arkham Investigator on Facebook
Messing with videos since 2009!

#2 WatsonSE

WatsonSE

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

This is a great idea!
/Watson

"Elementary, my dear Sherlock..."

#3 AirborneXO

AirborneXO

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

Hi all,

I've attached the file to this post, feel free to use or abuse these as you wish - if you want the originals to edit please let me know and I'll forward them onto you. I'm going to tea-stain these and find some period 'stamps' & postmarks to attach to the envelopes :)

Cheers, Hal

Attached Files

Edited by AirborneXO, 27 October 2013 - 07:10 PM.

#4 The-Stranger

The-Stranger

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationCamborne, Cornwall

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

Thanks.

#5 ProjectCthulhuWorld

ProjectCthulhuWorld

Master

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

Nice work, thanks.

#6 AirborneXO

AirborneXO

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

And here they are, ready to go :)

1df4903d-38a5-4065-9b01-0030d36e0cc2.jpg

a87fce20-6612-4b18-a6ee-61d0c4966877.jpg

Not much but it made me happy :)

Cheers, Hal

#7 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:23 AM

Thank you!

(My second session's tomorrow -- I'm trying to figure out what he'll write, as the PCs led him to believe Winston himself sent them.)

Am debating whether to mark them up the way Winston did, but not sure I want to.

#8 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:54 AM

Now, if I were really inspired, I'd make the full journal. It seems a bit unfair to tell the players, after they go to all the trouble of digging it out, "Well, here are two pages of sketches, but you don't learn a lot. Oh, and it's full of many more sketches and stream of consciousness writing -- all stuff you've heard before." On the other hand, a physical prop full of material might be more misleading, as players assume there must be critical information in there, and there really isn't.

#9 AirborneXO

AirborneXO

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

All my players got a diary with one of these maps as well!

1937b.gif

#10 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:57 AM

That is a lovely map -- is there an image of it online I could save? Also, any odds of a copy of / transcript of the diary? Oh, wait -- you mean a diary for the players to keep in character, correct?

I'm not sure how I could do Trammel's book, even if I were insane enough to want to, such that it would look, not be, disgusting to touch. I'm also not quite sure how to give it the necessary content, give that's a bit vague, but that's a separate issue.

I did write a new Douglas Henslow letter, though I made no attempt to match the handwriting on the others (and used a script font in Word). I tried to match the style of Hal's. Should I upload that, and if so, what do I need to know (or where to I need to go to read up on it) to put the file here? It's .doc, but I can also do it as text, given folks may want to handwrite or use their own fonts.

#11 WatsonSE

WatsonSE

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

As a man of details, I have taken the text from AirborneXO's letters and changed the fonts. Then I removed the text from Henslows illustrations ("Was it real?" etc) and replaced the original text with the same text as before, but using the same font as in the letters. All so that the consistency of 'handwriting' is kept.

I know, that is going a bit too far, but I think it is quite cool...
/Watson

"Elementary, my dear Sherlock..."

#12 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

What is this "too far" of which you speak?

#13 AirborneXO

AirborneXO

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

I'd forgotten to mark them up with pencil - not to worry they've not started yet. As for the diary pages I'm just going to create a 'sample'. I was thinking an A6 booklet with about 8 pages in-? containing details and drawings scanned from the campaign book. I'll share them here of course!

Why oh why is there not a PDF of handouts for this campaign!!!?

http://strangemaps.w...oreign-country/

Cheers, Hal

Edited by AirborneXO, 19 November 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#14 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:03 PM

Thanks for the link!

Here's the additional letter I wrote. For whatever reason, the investigators led Douglas Henslow to believe that they were sent by a very much alive Walter Winston.

Attached Files

#15 AirborneXO

AirborneXO

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

Thanks Lisa I'll add this to the PDF when I get chance :)

Cheers, Hal

#16 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:09 AM

My group's been sharing links to whatever coolness we could find:

Paul Robeson singing the Soviet anthem in English: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=W0HuGOlDzqQ

Color pictures, apparently not colorized, of Paris: http://www.rue89.com...ine-remonter-le

And about the Postage Stamp War:

http://bigthink.com/...st-caused-a-war and http://trove.nla.gov...rticle/17413982

#17 Agent_Skinner

Agent_Skinner

Neophyte

• 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

Hi,

There is nobody who did something with Tremmels Testament of the Dripping Mouthes’ Emanates, is there?

I’d love to give my players something, if only a couple of sentences per local, but having a hard time to make something up.

Please… some mad cultists around?

Thanks,

Josua

#18 AirborneXO

AirborneXO

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

Okay so a few more bits and pieces for you:

1. Some medical records found at Joy Grove...https://db.tt/NvpLMwsc

2. Some prescriptions from Dr. Keaton...https://db.tt/V5AHspeu

3. Douglas' letter to Walter that is found with the diary...https://db.tt/PDfaGatg

and my personal favourite:

4. A little diary that you can assemble by printing back to back and cutting up...https://db.tt/wcGSjYTE

I'll post some pictures of the finished articles that are currently soaking in tea ready for that authentic aged look :) I've got a wooden box so I just need an old key and a stone with an eye symbol etched onto it!!!

The font I've used for Douglas' handwriting is a free online font called 'Dawning of A New Day' if you wish to reproduce any additional letters etc... feel free to share them here please! Apologies if this tread on IP as I've adapted both the Eternal Lies handouts from the book and some bits and bobs adapted from HPLHS Props.

Next up I'm assembling pictures of all the locations that my players can stick in their diaries.

Cheers, Hal

#19 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

Thank you -- these are lovely!

I'm pondering the Testament. As I said, I'm at a loss for how to do even a sample of this. I'm also wondering how -- or if -- to have the Testament get to the investigators if they decide they're just going to burn the place to the ground. (They have the Ethiopia connection and know there's a Thai connection. It probably isn't too hard to give them enough for Bangkok; it's easy to add Mexico City because of the album. Malta might be tricky.) I am hoping they stick with the lovely, terrible plan of having one or two investigators try to infiltrate as one of the homeless or prostitutes that get brought in.

#20 AirborneXO

AirborneXO

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

Here's a few pics of the above handouts:

The find from the Henslowe house -

F5DCAD6D-CE36-4B6C-AC9F-5B5203B96062.jpg

10062CD5-E02A-47FA-8A19-C59F6AAE32B5.jpg

CCD1DE9A-BDB7-45BF-AC4C-6F5F1644BE3A.jpg