lordof1

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

Hey squamates

I wondered if this might be of interest to any of you - a soon-to-be released Lovecraftian roguealike that appears to be something of a cross between Minecraft and Spelunky... and if you're going to breed any two games together, they are excellent choices.

Anyone seen it? Wondered about it? Bought the beta?

http://www.eldritchgame.com/

'Hi, I'm Nick Marsh. You may remember me from such classics as 'The Pale God', or 'Shadows by Gaslight - episode 3'!'
http://lordof1.blogspot.com - News from a Vet on the Front Line

#2 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA - In the cool, dark earthen floor. USA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

the trailer music just drove me insane, if that's the kind of theme they are shooting for...

'Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911, But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shyte out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get' . 

#3 fox01313

fox01313

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:30 PM

One game site I frequent that does video gameplay looks at newer games (as well as some older ones) did a video not too long ago with Eldritch which is good to at least see the game in action without worrying it's some doctored trailer where they might have cut out some bugs.

Reviews of it seem fairly entertaining but the only one gruesome flaw of it is the reviews mentioning that it might be rather short of a ride but if it's fun & hopefully the developers are putting out more content for it, then should still be fun.

video link of the gameplay on Giant Bomb (where there's a wiki for it & other video games too)

http://www.giantbomb...itch/2300-8111/

or the youtube link to the video

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=O2R8ebVwXTE

"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

#4 lordof1

lordof1

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

Eldritch has been out a little while on Steam now and garnered generally positive reviews. I still haven't got it myself - I'd be interested in hearing from fellow Lovecraftians whether it's worth getting or not - but the folks who make it have recently announced a Mountains-of-Madness-themed Christmas upgrade, complete with giant penguins. How festive!

Eldritch Christmas Upgrade

'Hi, I'm Nick Marsh. You may remember me from such classics as 'The Pale God', or 'Shadows by Gaslight - episode 3'!'
http://lordof1.blogspot.com - News from a Vet on the Front Line

#5 TMS

TMS

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

I've played through the game recently, and it's really very good. It's fun, challenging, and surprisingly creepy.

#6 Cherno

Cherno

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

eldritch_header.jpg
eldritch.png

I bought this game for $14.99, although it is on sale for the next 11 days for half that price.

http://www.eldritchgame.com/

What is this game? As you can see from the screenshots, it looks smiliar to minecraft with the simple graphics and terrain mostly made of blocks. I have never played minecraft so I can't compare too much. The game is what's called a "roguelike", a genre of roleplaying games that typically feature simple graphics (if at all! Many consists of nothing but ASCII symbols!) and permadeath. Eldritch takes some elements from this genre and mixes it with the cosmic horror of H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, retaining a rather whimsical style for the visuals, especially the monsters.

You start off in a library which is sort of like a hub from where you can enter different dimensions/locales. Each world has it's own monsters and overall looks, such as nautical/djungle looks for Cthulhu's realm, with what looks like Star Spawns sleeping peacyfully on the floor until you disturb them, and Flying Polyps. Anyway, the worlds consists of 3 levels which are all randomly generated from pre-made chunks, so while you will start to recognize the chunks, the way they are connected, and thus the route to the exit, is different each playthrough.

How you reach the exit is up to you; You could either go straight towards it if you have a compass item, or explore every chunk to pick up as much stuff as possible. Lying around the levels are artifacts, bluish discs that are used to pay for items you can buy in shops scattered throughout the levels, and to use your special item, of which you can have one at a time. These are things like a medkit so you can revive yourself for a hefty fee, locksmith kits to open locked doors without needing a key, and so on. You also can carry one amulet or other small item like the compass mentioned above; for example, the amulet of destruction lets your destroy walls with your normal gun. Speaking of which, there are also weapons to be found: You always have your fists, but there's also a knife, a revolver with limited ammo, and a crossbow that lets you create tripwire traps. The final "item" option are the special powers that get bestowed onto you if you pray at one of several different statues of the old ones; a teleport spell, cloak spell, create block spell, and more. The right combination of all these things is very important, of course, with some stuff being more useful and some less so.

At the end of each world is an orb you have to pick up and then you can go back to the library to tackle the next dimension. Once all three orbs are collected, the gate to the final dimension opens. If you die only one time (which will happen often since health replenishments become scarcer the farther your progress in the game), and you have no medkit or enough artifacts to revive, you will go back to the library, losing all orbs and other progress (all worlds are created anew), and all artifacts that were not stored in a special deposit box.

So how does it play? It's certainly fun and has quite some replayability value. While the first world is a walk in the park and serves mainly for you to stock up on artifacts, health and revolver ammo, the second and third world quickly become very difficult if you just race through the levels. The enemies become dangerous enough for a stealthy approach to be viable instead of wasting your precious ammo, and since dead enemies that are not looted won't respawn, you'll find yourself only killing what's neccessary, and not looting any strong monsters so you won't have to fight them again later. After playing the game a few times (and probably failing miserably), you'll get the hang of things and start to think about your approach: Which levels should I run through, what are the best items for my play style, how to deal with each monster type?

Yesterday, a free bonus campaign was released (it gets added automatically via Steam) that is based on "At the Mountains of Madness", where you have to travel deep into an ancient city in the Antarctic. I played this campaign right after beating the main game, and boy is it an experience! I won't spoil too much, but in the last 15 minutes, your heart will pound and your eyes will be fixed on the monitor until you finally reach the aeroplane and leave the cursed stretch of land.

While the presentation of Eldritch is very simple as far as textures, models, and soundscape goes, and most monsters looking somewhat cute, you'll soon find out that as far as gameplay goes, it's pretty intense, with the occasional jumpscare if you round a corner right into an Elder Thing, or when you first hear a Shoggoth's loud roar in the distance. Scary!

It's certainly not a hard-core Lovecraftian game and only a very basic story mostly told in diaries and notebooks you find here and there, but for this price I can recommend it both to Cthulhu and roguelike fans alike.

Some screenshots:

Eldritch.jpg

Eldritch2.jpg

eldritch-mountains-of-madness.png

Some tips to save you some early deaths in the game: (SPOILERS!)

- Best item combination:
-- Knife
-- revolver
-- compass (lets you find the exit easily if you have to make a run for it)
-- Medkit (reviving costs 50 artifacts, but having more than one life makes the game a whole lot easier!)
-- Create barrier spell (good look beating the second world without it; once you encounter the statues that attack you if you don't look at them, just cast blocks around them!)

- Use the first world (Dagon) to search every nook and cranny for ammo, artifacts and especially the blue fountains that increase your max health. I recommend at least 6 health before entering the final dimension. Also visit every shop until you can buy the Medkit. You can just shoot the shopkeeper a few times in Dagon's world to take all his stuff, but watch out for the fireballs he casts.
- I haven't been able to kill the Shoggoths that appear in the third level, I think they can'd be harme. If you see one, run as fast as you can and try to reach higher ground, then take a route around it.
- Use you knife as much as possible; Wait behind a corner for a monster to come, then quickly slash it a few times and retreat again if it isn't dead yet. You will need all the ammo you can get later in the game for monsters with ranged attacks and especially the Flying Polyps.
- Consider storing your surplus artifacts in the bank chest the first few times you are playing; this way you won't lose it all if you die.
- Use dynamite to blast a hole in floors and walls to reach the exit, but remember to pick you knife up again afterwards.
- Don't loot dead monsters that have ranged attacks and are hard to kill, especially not Star Spawns, Flying Polyps, red bugs and Lizardmen. Cultists are free game because they die after two knife slashes and they take a long time to cast their fireball spell.
- Use your revolver for these hard-to-kill ranged-attack monsters.
- In the third world, consider sneaking around sleeping Star Spawns instead of wasting ammo on them. If they are alone, you can also sneak up on them and quickly slash them with your knife before they have woken up completely.

#7 fox01313

fox01313

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:00 AM

Great review Cherno.

The rock is also damn good in this game on the first level that I've played, usually kills in one hit at range plus you can reuse it like any wonderful rock in a rpg game as a fun thing to keep around. The audio in the game is quite good with the Shoggoths being rather eerie sounding & the temple shrines will give you different spells choices for a simple cost of artifacts so lots of experimenting there.

"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

#8 Cherno

Cherno

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

Some sonds are definitely creepy, especially the "Raging Shoggoth"... sometimes you hear it and maybe see some acid bubbles through a wall and know that you'ee in trouble :D

On the other hand, the death sounds some creatures (the flying eyeballs for example) make are rather cute ;)

#9 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

[...] a Shoggoth's loud roar in the distance. Scary!

Surely, it should be a shrill, piping "Tekeli-li"? ;-)

eldritch-mountains-of-madness.png

What, no albino penguins? :( ;)

#10 TMS

TMS

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

The albino penguins are lower down (stages 7-9). The penguins in stages 1-3 are normal.

#11 Cherno

Cherno

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

The albino penguins are lower down (stages 7-9). The penguins in stages 1-3 are normal.

Heh. I didn't even notice any difference :D

#12 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

Now that kind of attention to detail is what shows how much the game designers really care. ;)

#13 TMS

TMS

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

By the way, I don't suppose anyone has figured out what the point of the Soapstone is?

#14 Cherno

Cherno

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

I'm not sure I've ever encountered it. Is it a shrine or an item?

#15 TMS

TMS

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

It's an item you pick up at the top level of the Mountains of Madness. It says it has no use (like the holy symbol you need to get the good ending in the main game), and I didn't find one for it.

#16 Cherno

Cherno

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

Ah, that one.. yeah, I don't knwo what it does either.

Speaking of which, I didn't even know there was a good ending.. heh :D

#17 Cherno

Cherno

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

Earlier this week, I read a game guide for Eldritch and it said that the scary black cloud full of eyes that appears at the end of the MoM campaign can't actually harm you, it just obscures your vision. Imagine me not knowing this, and rushing through all the levels back to the surface with that thing behind me, I was sure I would die immediately if it touched me! :D My heart was pounding the whole way!

Edited by Cherno, 12 February 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#18 TMS

TMS

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

I did the exact same thing. Fortunately for me, I had made maps of the fourth floor on down as I went, which made things a lot quicker (and made it a lot easier to retreat past all those damn Shoggoths). I figured it represented the Shoggoth that had chased Dyer and Danforth out of the caverns, and was a little surprised that I made it back out without taking any damage from it.

#19 Cherno

Cherno

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

I just played through the game again, this time with the "Good Ending" where you have to collect all three special items and lit all candles. I had loads of artifacts from previous walkhroughs but ran out of bullets in the Endless Library, so I only barely made it to the hidden rooms :) It was pretty scary on the very last Library level with the two Shoggoths raging around. I have found that the Destruction Amulet is an excellent thing to carry around as not only can you destroy walls, it also increases all melee and ranged damage. For some reason, I didn'T come across any Block shrines so I had quite some trouble with the Lizardmen Statues ;)

Now I'm off to the Mountains of Madness!

#20 TMS

TMS

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:26 AM

Not sure if you were aware of the possibility, but my strategy was to blow any troublesome statues up with dynamite.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Review