• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#41 Thorulfr

Thorulfr

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:08 PM

OK, picture this: you know the local police have it in for you when you show up at a hospital with a sword sticking out of you, and the police arrent you for "possession of an illegal weapon."

(all right, that didn't happen, but I could certainly imagine it...)

#42 FunGuyfromYuggoth

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Greater Independent

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 02:25 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...and/4305068.stm

Samurai sword used in town attack

A man in his 50s has escaped serious injury after being attacked by a man wielding a samurai type sword in County Down, police have said.

It happened on Sunday after a man entered an amusement arcade on Newcastle's Main Street.

The victim sustained injuries to his head, neck and arm, but was saved from serious harm by a man on the premises who used a chair to shield him.

A man in his 30s was later arrested at a car park near Bryansford Road.

The injured man was treated at the scene by ambulance personnel.

A follow up examination of the scene where the attack occurred is expected to be carried out later on Monday.

Police have appealed for anyone with information about the attack to contact police in Newcastle on 028 44615011.

#43 dunc

dunc

Master

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 07:14 PM

I have never had an attempted break in occur, but as i'm a 3rd dan instructor in ju-jitsu 6'6 and 17 stone i don't get much trouble.
It also helps that when I practice in the back garden all the neighbours can see me throwing around various japanese weaponry.

#44 Orlock

Orlock

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 07:56 PM

Guess I must mention that a bizarre double murder took place in my home town a few years ago. A 10 year old boy instigated his father to kill his older brother and his girlfriend. The murder weapon: a katana. The boy and his father invited the young couple to dine, then the father killed them the sword as they showed up.
According to the police the man and the boy had been "delving into ninja lore", whatever that's supposed to mean. The man was charged with murder but the boy admitted to planning the whole thing and will probably spend the rest of his life in a mental institution.
In a strange twist of synchronicity, my wifes' brother used to work in the murderers' kitchen appliance shop years before all this happened. When he quit, he received a teflon frying pan as a parting gift. The pan was eventually given to my wife and we'd been using it happily for years. Because it was allways a bit dented on the side we finally desided to get rid of it a couple of months back.
I think it's still in this box of things waiting to be taken to the dump next spring. If anyone is interested in a factory faulty used frying pan once held by a to-be sword murderer, just PM me. You can get it for free.

Hey, guys, don't go! A nice, crappy used frying pan with a great story?! Hey, come on, now...

#45 FunGuyfromYuggoth

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Greater Independent

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:49 PM

4 charged with robbing store with sword
By John R. Ellement, Boston Globe Staff | March 8, 2006

Four Attleboro teenagers were arrested early today after they allegedly robbed a convenience store using a "samurai'' style knife or sword, police said.

Less than 10 minutes after the 2:23 a.m. robbery of the 7-Eleven store on North Main Street, the 2000 Mitsubishi Galant the four teens were riding in crashed near a house on Lindsey Street, police said. No one was injured.

The store clerk was unharmed. Police identified three of the suspects as Nathaniel J. Ramaglia, 17, Nicholas A. Santaniello, 18, and Yann Chrorm, 18, all of Attleboro. The fourth suspect is a juvenile and his name was not released.

Attleboro Police Capt. David T. Proia said two of the suspects are students at Attleboro High School. The investigation is continuing, police said.

http://www.boston.co...ore_with_sword/

#46 cynick

cynick

Greater Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:18 PM

Oh hell, this one happened in a quiet country village just a few miles from where I live :roll:

Plastic bullets bring down 'swordsman'

May 10 2006
By Pippa Woolnough

A MAN who sparked a major police incident by brandishing a deadly Samurai sword was brought down by police marksmen who fired plastic bullets.

Armed police and a Surrey force helicopter were sent to New Farthingdale, Dormansland, at about 12.30am on Tuesday morning, after a member of the public dialled 999.

They encountered a 20-year-old man armed with a sword on the normally quiet residential road.

Armed response officers restrained the man after a round of plastic bullets was fired.

It is only the fifth time plastic bullets have been used by Surrey Police.

The man was taken to East Surrey Hospital in Redhill and treated for bruising.

The police say he suffered no serious injury. No member of the public or any police officers were hurt in the incident.

A sword was recovered at the scene.

A cordon around the area was taken down at about 1pm on Tuesday afternoon after police had completed their preliminary investigations.

A spokesman for Surrey Police said further investigations were continuing. A 20-year-old man, from Dormansland, was arrested for possession of an offensive weapon and, following a check-up at East Surrey Hospital, was taken into custody at Reigate Police Station.

We do not stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing - George Bernard Shaw

#47 TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:41 AM

I wonder if there's a corellation between being insane and owning a sword... Or if owning the sword makes you nuts :P
Apterax, the online webcomic that's more fun than being crushed to death!

#48 Mr_Lin

Mr_Lin

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:44 AM

The police say he suffered no serious injury. No member of the public or any police officers were hurt in the incident.

Reckon he got off quite lightly. In the past the rozzers have shot samurai sword wielders dead e.g.

http://news.bbc.co.u...all/4313262.stm

Incidentally, if you type samurai sword into the search box at the top of the BBC news page you get a whole catalogue of mayhem. There's definitely a relationship between owning a sword and precarious mental health.

#49 TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:32 PM

Come to think of it, the most questionable people I know own swords... The sane ones own guns.

Of course, the craziest ones have Trebuchets :lol:
Apterax, the online webcomic that's more fun than being crushed to death!

#50 FunGuyfromYuggoth

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Greater Independent

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:47 PM

Firstcoastnews.com Article
13-Year-Old Tries Sword Attack

By WXIA-TV

GAINESVILLE, GA -- A 13-year-old boy has been charged with breaking into a home near Gainesvile, stealing a sword, and holding it to the neck of an 11-year-old boy. The teenage suspect also tried to use the sword to fend off police officers, authorities said.

The break-in took place at a home on Greenfield Drive in Statham about 5 a.m. Thursday. The homeowner called 911 after his 11-year-old son awoke to find someone in his room. The burglar had taken a sword from a display case in the 11-year-old's bedroom and held it to the boy's throat, threatening to kill him if he made a sound. When the suspect fled the room with several swords, the 11-year-old woke up his father.

As Statham Police arrived, an officer spotted the suspect running from the area and chased him on foot. Officers lost the suspect but deputies from Barrow County found the suspect walking on Atlanta Highway. The suspect attempted to attack a deputy with one of the swords before being arrested, officials said.

The suspect is charged with armed robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and obstruction of an officer for the home invasion. He also faces charges of aggravated assault on a police officer in connection with the arrest.

#51 Fintan1

Fintan1

Master

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:20 AM

Northern Ireland scores another Samurai point:
BBC Radio Ulster carried a report this morning describing the weapon as a samurai sword, however I can't find a description on any web reports.

I did wonder if perhaps this was the misreporting of a mundane story involving the theft of 'Sammy Rea's Ford'.

Sword attack over stolen car hunt

The car was stolen in west Belfast
A man armed with a sword has attacked a man and his nephew who were looking for a stolen car in west Belfast.
The owner found the car - which was stolen during a burglary early on Wednesday - at Dungloe Crescent at about 1400 BST.

He said that he and his nephew were attacked as they waited for the police to arrive.

"He shouted to me, 'this is my car', then he pulled a sword out and tried to stick it into me," he said.

"I slammed the car door and it (the sword) went through the glass, then I ran away," said the owner, who wanted to be known only as Richard.

The man then attacked the car which the man's nephew was sitting in before making off.

He stabbed at him through the driver's window, cutting him several times before walking away.

Richard said he had no doubt that the attacker would have caused them both serious injury if he had been able to.

Their assailant was described as being aged in his early 20s, approximately 6ft tall, of thin build with short black hair.

It is thought he was wearing a white top with vertical stripes.

The police have appealed for witnesses to come forward.

#52 Cosmoline

Cosmoline

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:25 PM

Come to think of it, the most questionable people I know own swords... The sane ones own guns.

Of course, the craziest ones have Trebuchets :lol:

Never cross a man with a trebuchet! He won't stick a sword through your car windshield, he'll throw your car into your upstairs bathroom. :lol:

#53 FunGuyfromYuggoth

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Greater Independent

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:51 PM

Sword-wielding robber nabbed
October 20, 2006 10:00am

PERTH, AUSTRALIA--A ROBBER wielding an ornamental sword returned to the service station he had allegedly just held up when he realised he had left his haul behind, police say.

The 20-year-old man approached an attendant at a service station in South Perth about 1.30am today and allegedly demanded money and cigarettes.

The attendant took money from the till and packets of cigarettes and placed them in a bag.

The offender fled on foot across the Canning Highway before realising he had left the bag in the service station.

Police say he returned to find the door locked and pleaded with the attendant to let him back in for his booty.

The attendant refused so the offender fled again.

Police caught up with him several streets away, allegedly still wielding his sword.

The man held up the same service station on August 17, police believe.

He was charged with two counts of armed robbery and will appear in Perth Magistrates Court today.

http://www.news.com....6-2761,00.html#

#54 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:30 PM

Not making ninjas like they used to, eh?
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>

#55 MrNorrell

MrNorrell

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:42 PM

This reminds me of an story I heard back in 2000, though I'm not sure how true it is. I had won a school history contest for a trip to Washington DC, "Know America", and the teachers who conducted the tour often told interesting tales of previous trips. One of the strangest was what they termed the "Highlander story." A few years before, while staying in a hotel on the Virginia side of the Potamoc that offered a very good nightime view of the capital city, they had been gazing at the vista when they noticed a strange, trench coat clad man stroll into the glow of a street light on the side walk in front of the hotel. He then proceeded to pull out a katana and due some martial arts practice for several minutes before sheathing his weapon and disappearing into the night. I'm still not convinced as to the veracity of the story, but I had heard a strange news report a few years later in which a man was arrested in Washington DC with a trunk full of swords and a map to the White House. Could it have been the same person, or does the capital attract more than its fair share of crazed swordsmen?

#56 FunGuyfromYuggoth

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Greater Independent

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:57 PM

D&D, swords, and murder?!?

Updated Oct. 24, 2006, 4:20 p.m. ET

James Flemons was so obsessed with fantasy role-playing games that he didn't know fantasy from reality, his lawyer says.

Dungeons & Dragons player tried for murder after killing co-worker with homemade sword
By Matt Pordum, Court TV

DETROIT — On Oct. 27, 2004, James Flemons walked into work with a homemade samurai sword and slashed his co-worker to death.

Prosecutors say Flemons, then 30, was angry because of constant bullying by the victim, Anthony Williams, and other co-workers at Peerless Metal Powders & Abrasive.

But Flemons' lawyer says he is schizophrenic with a psychotic obsession with fantasy role-playing games, including Dungeons & Dragons.

Opening statements in Flemons' murder trial are expected Wednesday.

Williams arrived at his job the day of the killing armed with a homemade 38-inch samurai sword. Witnesses told police that Flemons appeared to hand Williams a piece of metal in a chivalrous manner, as if challenging him to a duel, before chasing him and stabbing him to death.

The medical examiner ruled that Williams died as a result of "multiple chop wounds to the neck."

Witnesses told police that, after the killing, Flemons bought a beer and cigar at a nearby convenience store. He then returned to the scene and positioned Williams' body as if on a cross. Then he opened the beer and lit the cigar as he waited for the police to arrive, his colleagues said.

In a voluntary statement to police, Flemons admitted attacking Williams in response to constant bullying about his fantasy game obsession.

Less than a month after Williams' death, Flemons was found not competent to stand trial and was sent to the State Center for Forensic Psychiatry in Ypsilanti for further evaluation.

To be declared competent to stand trial, an individual must understand the nature of the proceedings and be able to assist counsel in defending their case.

Under Michigan law, the state has 15 months in which to medicate and treat individuals deemed not competent to stand trial. If the person is still found not competent at the end of that period, prosecutors can file to have him committed to a mental institution.

Flemons' lawyer, David Roby, said his client was deemed competent to stand trial only two weeks before the 15-month deadline was reached.

"The doctors said that even though he's hearing voices out of the television that are directing aspects of his life and he's suffering from other mood-altering delusions ... 'he's made such progress we think he's competent,'" Roby said.

Roby said Flemons was obsessed with magic, fantasy, the occult, voodoo, Santeria, telekinesis and spirits.

"He played Dungeons & Dragons and was obsessive with games of fantasy, anything that helped him get away from people and hide from them in his own little cocoon," Roby said.

The defense attorney rejected any notion that Flemons acted in a cold, calculated way, saying instead that his client is "delusional and psychotic."

"This is a case about whether, as a society, we hold the psychotic responsible for every act they commit," Roby said.

Deputy Prosecutor Kam Towns said her case will focus on the testimony of former colleagues who witnessed the attack and that of a forensic psychologist.

Towns also said she hopes to introduce Flemons' 1998 conviction of felonious assault for attacking his uncle with a samurai sword. He also attacked the police officer who responded to the scene.

He was sentenced to two years' probation.

Roby said that although Flemons was deemed competent to stand trial in that case, the doctors who evaluated him said he "probably was suffering from a thought disorder, a delusional disorder, which is to say, schizophrenia."

Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Annette Berry is expected to rule before trial Wednesday on whether Flemons' prior conviction can be introduced at trial.

If Flemons is found guilty of first-degree murder, he will automatically be sentenced to life in prison without parole. A verdict of guilty but mentally ill, however, would mean a life sentence in the prison psychiatric ward.

If the jury returns a verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity, Flemons would be sent to the state's mental health facility, where the doctors would maintain sole discretion over his fate. They could opt to release him at some point if they consider him well.

The jury also has the option of finding Flemons guilty of second-degree murder, which would require the judge to sentence him.

Flemons' trial is expected to last five days and will be aired live on Court TV Extra.

#57 Thorulfr

Thorulfr

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:35 PM

...Then he opened the beer and lit the cigar as he waited for the police to arrive, his colleagues said.

You gotta hand it to him....that's class. :roll:

#58 MisterEcho

MisterEcho

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:57 PM

"He played Dungeons & Dragons and was obsessive with games of fantasy, anything that helped him get away from people and hide from them in his own little cocoon," Roby said.

You know how the press always goes and asks the family and neighbours to describe the individual involved? I'd like to hear from the people he Role-played with.
There are only two kinds of people getting out of this room. Those unsatisfided and me.

#59 Cosmoline

Cosmoline

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:17 AM

... I think they're probably in the back yard.

#60 FunGuyfromYuggoth

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Greater Independent

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:38 AM

Not just people, but champagne bottles are becoming the targets of wayward ronin.

Link here.

Posted Image