Greater Independent

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 03:40 AM

http://abclocal.go.c...5_nw_sword.html

News from Pennsylvania, USA

Bethlehem Man Killed with Sword

January 23, 2005 — Police say a Bethlehem man used a sword to kill another man Friday night in the city's first homicide in more than a year.

Forty-eight-year-old Sonny Thomas was arraigned on charges of criminal homicide, aggravated assault and resisting arrest.

The victim was identified as 19-year-old Carlos Garcia, a neighbor of Thomas's.

The coroner says Garcia died of multiple stab wounds from a Samurai-type sword.

Police expect to release more information on Monday.

#22 Aquilia

Aquilia

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 01:21 PM

another one, this one happened in Cairns unfortunatly i havnt been able to find it on any websites, but it waqs covered in the local paper, a guy walked into a small bottle-shop threatened the clerk with a katana and made off with most of the cash in the till and some alcohol, strange days indeed.
Excuse me, Sir, which way to the Rue d'Auseil, i have a somewhat important musical recital there tonight

#23 Mr_Lin

Mr_Lin

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 09:36 AM

And another one...

http://news.bbc.co.u...ter/4228653.stm

Also notable for the use of a blowpipe!

#24 Bardsandsages

Bardsandsages

Master

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 03:30 AM

I prefer bladed weapons to guns. Swords don't backfire. Swords don't jam. Swords don't go off accidentally when you clean them or forget to take the ammo out. And there is an intimidation factor. People assume if you are holding a sword, you know how to use it. I've got swords all over my house. May the gods help the fool who breaks in. Between my weapons and my dog, they are in for a rough time. :twisted:
bardsandsages.com: contests, gamer resources, writing links, and more.

#25 ninthcouncil

ninthcouncil

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:43 AM

And another one...

http://news.bbc.co.u...ter/4228653.stm

Also notable for the use of a blowpipe!

Presumably one of the famous Manchester ninjas.

#26 Mr_Lin

Mr_Lin

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:11 PM

Presumably one of the famous Manchester ninjas.

Or maybe the Tcho-Tchos are muscling in on the Manc drug scene?

#27 FunGuyfromYuggoth

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Greater Independent

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 06:08 PM

Sword attack accused called himself 'chosen one', court told
01 March 2005

The former wife of a man accused of a samurai sword attack on two women today told of how he would refer to himself as "the Chosen One".

Wendy Ross said in the High Court at Auckland that Antonie Ronnie Dixon would speak about being connected to another source.

"There's a sentence he used quite frequently - I can't recall the full sentence - where 'I'm the One, the Chosen One, the Almighty'," she said.

"It was just too heavy for me and I had to be very careful about the way I left his presence or left the room because it was full-on and very forceful. It was like those religious people you get on the street who really believe what they are saying is it."

Dixon, 36, has pleaded not guilty to a number of charges, including murder and attempted murder.

He is accused of attacking Simonne Butler and Renee Gunbie with a sword at the converted shed the three lived in at Pipiroa, on the Hauraki Plains, on January 21, 2003.

He is also accused of shooting dead 25-year-old James Te Aute, who had confronted him about his strange behaviour in an Auckland car park
Ms Ross, who was appearing for the defence on a witness summons, rubbed Dixon's shoulder as she walked passed the dock towards the witness box.

She said Dixon, who sat hunched forward while she gave evidence, believed he had computer chips planted in his body and that he was being followed.

On one occasion, he spoke about a Concorde jet hovering around in the sky.

She detailed other unusual aspects of Dixon's behaviour during the time they were together, including excitability, talking extremely fast to the point of foaming at the mouth, and rocking back and forth in front of the television.

He would also speak about hearing voices and about the devil, something she found "quite frightening".

"I decided not to listen too much to what he was saying," she said.

"It's not a topic I talked about because it created so much discomfort for me."

But Ms Ross revealed another side to Dixon, saying he was also charming, knowledgeable, generous and artistic.

"He will pick something that looks like junk and will convert it into a masterpiece."

The trial is continuing.

http://www.stuff.co....3301a11,00.html

#28 Thorulfr

Thorulfr

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 06:33 PM

Oy...I think somebody needs their meds adjusted... :roll:

#29 cynick

cynick

Greater Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:52 PM

OK, so the question is - what is it about Katanas that inspires this kind of behaviour? Or is it the mere fact that they are such legendary weapons that makes this kind of behaviour newsworthy? (You don't get too many stories about people going on the rampage with 19th Century Cavalry Sabres).

Is it something to do with the manufacturing process (secret rituals totally unknown to Westerners), or is it the manufacturors themselves?

Some swords were reputed to reflect their creators' personalities. Those made by Muramasa had a reputation for violence and bloodshed, while those made by Masamune were considered weapons of peace. A popular legend tells of what happens when two swords made by Muramasa and Masamune were held in a stream carrying fallen leaves: while those leaves touching the Muramasa blade were cut in two, those coming towards the Masamune suddenly changed course and went around the blade without touching it.

Or could they even be the 3 dimensional representation of some mythos beastie? (Nyarlathotep has an avatar known as The Father of Blades IIRC)
We do not stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing - George Bernard Shaw

#30 ninthcouncil

ninthcouncil

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:42 PM

News reports don't yet say whether this is a katana incident or not, but if I were a betting man...

'Sword' man shot dead by police
Police have shot dead a man after he is believed to have leapt from his van brandishing a sword on a busy road. Witnesses say the van driver stopped his vehicle before dashing over to a nearby tanker on the A63 outside Hull. He is reported to have been wielding a sword and was shot by officers who had first fired plastic baton rounds. Police had been alerted on Tuesday morning after reports a van was being driven the wrong way down the eastbound carriageway of the road. The man was pronounced dead at the scene. The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is to conduct an investigation.
(snip)
The local MP, Shadow Home Secretary David Davis, has been given a briefing by police on what happened. Mr Davis said he has been told that police fired two baton rounds as the man tried to get into other vehicles. When he still continued to threaten them, the police used their firearms. Officers then tried to resuscitate the man but he was found to be dead.
(snip)
The van comes from the a charity shop in nearby Beverley. A sign on the door of the shop says it is closed because of a bereavement. The 'And Albert Foundation' shop in Beverley sells Fair Trade goods and has its own "Trading Roots" labelled products.
(snip)

Story from BBC NEWS

#31 cynick

cynick

Greater Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:06 PM

'Bloodbath' at church in Germany

Police say the attack was motivated by personal problems.
A man wielding a sword has killed a woman and injured at least three other people during a service at a church in southern Germany.
Police said they found "grisly" scenes, including severed limbs, at the scene of the attack in Stuttgart.

A 25-year-old suspect was overpowered by officers and arrested.

He is an ethnic Tamil, as were most of the congregation. Police say the attack was not politically motivated and was probably prompted by personal problems.

The man stormed into the church just before 1600 (1400 GMT) waving a sword before going on the rampage, according to eyewitnesses.

He killed a 43-year-old woman and seriously injured three other people, including one whose hand was hacked off, police said.

Police described the scene as a "bloodbath".

About 65 people - half of them children - are believed to have been in the church at the time.

Counselling has been offered to those who witnessed the attack.

Tamils are a predominantly Hindu minority in Sri Lanka and southern India.

The group regularly rented the Stuttgart church to hold its services.

From the BBC

This report identifies the blade as our old friend, the Samurai sword.
We do not stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing - George Bernard Shaw

#32 Thorulfr

Thorulfr

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:50 PM

This report identifies the blade as our old friend, the Samurai sword.

OK, with India/Sri Lanka having any number of indigenous swords and knives, why was a Tamil...in Germany...using a Japanese sword?? :?

Weird.

#33 Coelacanth

Coelacanth

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:28 PM

It's not like the guy was using a Katana made by a master smith. India and Pakistan make most of the cheapass Samurai and Ninja weapons that are sold through mail order or through dealers at gun shows and Renaissance faires.
"Happiness must be earned."
---The Thief of Bagdad (1924)

#34 Thorulfr

Thorulfr

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:48 PM

India and Pakistan make most of the cheapass Samurai and Ninja weapons that are sold through mail order or through dealers at gun shows and Renaissance faires.

:lol: True - they are also the source of the cheap@ss Indian weapons. I've seen some truely awful "kukris" floating around.

#35 Coelacanth

Coelacanth

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:48 PM

Anybody here ever catch that episode of Southpark where the kids buy themselves swords and shuriken?

:lol:
"Happiness must be earned."
---The Thief of Bagdad (1924)

#36 GreveMagnus

GreveMagnus

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 08:50 AM

Here's a more positive report about our old chum, the samurai sword. Real, antique, Japanese samurai swords this time.

AN ornate sword thought to have been seized as a symbol of triumph over Japanese imperialism at the end of World War II will be returned to its owner's family by a group of Australians.

The return is being spearheaded by Catholic priest, the Reverend Father Paul Glynn, 76, who has spent almost 50 years working on reconciliation between Australia and Japan following World War II.
A delegation from Cowra, in central-western NSW, led by the town's Mayor Bruce Miller, has travelled to the Japanese island of Shikoku where the sword will be presented to its owner's 91-year-old widow, Fusano Ohba, on Saturday.

Her husband, Shigenori, survived the war but died in 1991, aged 79.

The metre-long sword, which is one of 77 weapons returned to Japanese families following the war, was found by a policeman in Sydney who then passed it on to Fr Glynn in 1997.

Fr Glynn and his now late-brother Tony Glynn began handing back the weapons in 1958 while living in Japan.

Fr Glynn said on a return visit to Australia in 1957, his late brother was given the first of the swords by an Australian soldier who said he took it as trophy during the war but wanted it returned to Japan.

A year later Tony Glynn flew back to Japan with 75 swords, some of which had belonged to descendants of samurai and had been in the family for more than 500 years.

"The sword is not just a sword for the Japanese, these have been handed down for generations," Fr Glynn said.

"The sword holds the soul of the deceased.

"It has spiritual value to the family.

"It is something that their loved one carried when they died.

"Under their dedication to Buddhism it gives them that important link to the dead."

Another sword was returned in 1990 but in recent times it had become more difficult to locate the families of sword owners, said Fr Glynn who was not travelling to Japan for the latest handing back.

Strict new laws also prohibit the swords being taken into Japan unless it can be proved they are more than 60 years old.

Source: http://www.news.com....8-29277,00.html

#37 Thorulfr

Thorulfr

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 04:42 PM

An acquaintance (I wish English had a word that more accurately captured the subtle shade of meaning that exists between the German words "Freund" and "Bekannte") of mine is half-Japanese, and he claimed (claimed, mind you) that his family owned a Masamune sword, and that at his insistance, they actually let him see it.

My wife was laughing behind her hand, because while he seems to be oblivious to the fact, it looks to us like his family is treating him very much as a 'remittance man' - they cover his bills so he stays far away. He probably strained a more than a few relations by insisting on seeing that treasure.

I'm still envious as all h#ll... :evil:

#38 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 12 April 2005 - 11:52 PM

I feel remiss not to have mentioned the terrible accident visited on the Bluth family by the Sword of Destiny...

#39 FunGuyfromYuggoth

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Greater Independent

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 04:44 AM

2 sliced up by samurai sword

SYRACUSE - Two men were stabbed with a samurai-style sword during an argument in the basement of a Syracuse home, and one went to the hospital with the blade sticking through him, police said.

Luke Jenkins, 34, had two wounds to his abdomen.

But Edward Cannon, 39, was pierced from the lower abdomen through the upper back, according to police.

Both men were in fair condition later at University Hospital, a nursing supervisor said.

Jeremy Bartle, 22, was charged with second-degree attempted murder and fourth-degree weapon possession in the stabbings about 4 a.m. Saturday at his address, police spokesman Lt. Joe Cecile said.

There was no word on what sparked the bloody sword play, or where the blade came from.

http://www.nydailyne...8p-261572c.html

#40 FunGuyfromYuggoth

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Greater Independent

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:16 PM

Cops: Driver Defends Skills With Sword

NASHUA, N.H. (AP) -- A man is accused of defending his driving skills by pulling out a sword and popping a tire on another man's car.

Charles O'Neil, 36, was driving slowly on the Henri Burque Highway last Sunday when someone driving behind him became annoyed, honked his horn and passed him, police said.

When both vehicles stopped at a light, the two drivers got out and started an argument that ended with O'Neil allegedly pulled out a broadsword with a blade more than three feet long and telling the other driver, "I ought to run you through with this."

Police said O'Neil also pierced the other car's tires and then drove off.

He's been charged with criminal threatening and criminal mischief.

http://hosted.ap.org...EMPLATE=DEFAULT