• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ElderThing

ElderThing

Neophyte

• 6 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

Hello!

Keeper conundrum I'd like to run by fellow Lovecraftian enthusiasts. Some of my players are taking a little trip to R'lyeh and I'd like to scare them with some demented dreams sent to them from the mighty Cthulhu himself. Nothing too special other than me describing the terrifying Cthulhu to them as originally as possible, with a monster roar I'm going to play for them. Problem is: I can't pick a roar...

I've been drawn to the 1-18-08.com roar, the promotional site for Cloverfield that came out back in 2008. It's a great roar, but my players are fans of the film like I am and it would be very recognizable. I've experimented with different Kaiju roars from the Godzilla films, but the closest I've come to making a decision is Biollante, but her roar just doesn't quite feel right. I've even tried the War of the World's tripod sounds, but they sound too artificial (Obviously)

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what monster might sound closest to Cthulhu, that way I could rip the sound bite from the media and use it to scare the pants off of my investigators.

P.S. we don't normally deal with Cthulhu directly, but my players begged me for a chance to head to R'lyeh and me? I love it when they make foolish decisions.

#2 anacharis

anacharis

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:46 PM

The Bloop would be an obvious choice, or maybe one of the other unexplained NOAA sounds,  like slow down.

I quite like the Hedora, Destoroyah, and Spacegodzilla clips from here.

The other thing would be to play around with different sound clips in something like Audacity, slowing them down or adjusting their pitch.

Adequately Excellent

#3 Malik

Malik

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

I'm a fan of the witch king's shriek from lotr. It has that nice nails on a chalkboard feeling to it. But again it has a chance of recognisability unfortunately.

#4 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:53 AM

I'm a fan of the witch king's shriek from lotr. It has that nice nails on a chalkboard feeling to it. But again it has a chance of recognisability unfortunately.

There's always the balrog.
Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#5 ElijahWhateley

ElijahWhateley

Greater Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:44 AM

This supposed bear roar is actually pretty effective: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=eUk8OuF1C-A

There are also some pretty good roars (with pauses for dialogue) between 14:52 and 17:07 in this:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jOxpFwEnKew

In the Mythos, there is no such thing as cannon.

#6 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:51 AM

I'd go for something subsonic, if anything.

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#7 Roedrev

Roedrev

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

Hi all, first post here.

Im also very interested in incorporating audio in my sessions.

I dabble a lot with composition and synths on the PC, and thought I'd xoxos' fantastic Elder Thing VST a mention.

Here's a quick wav I rendered from one of its preset patches:

https://dl.dropboxus...965632/Roar.wav

#8 Shogoth

Shogoth

Neophyte

• 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:37 AM

I'll contribute my own voice to the fray ;)  http://www.freesound.../sounds/249686/

The Vocal Alchemist

#9 Hammer

Hammer

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:37 AM

I don't do sounds much anymore, but when I did, I had a Cthulhu noise that was basically wobbly whale song over choppy surf. Cthulhu is usually presented as a marine entity, so I figured he should sound downright benthic.

#10 mib_dg

mib_dg

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, Hawaii

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:02 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum

https://www.youtube....h?v=Z2w63biYa54

#11 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,425 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:52 PM

I'm not sure Cthulhu should roar. He is, after all, a fully sentient being, not an animal.

Maybe he would voice warnings or threats in an incomprehensible language in a very low register. You might take some Jabba the Hutt dialogue and slow it way way down.

Edited by Gaffer, 27 August 2016 - 07:53 PM.

"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>

#12 Ravenhoe

Ravenhoe

Master

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCologne

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:41 AM

I too think that a roar might be to predatory / animalistic for Cthulhu. Maybe create a sound that would not be so clearly understood by the investigators, as a roar - despite being non-human in that case - is a clearly communicated message after all.

Currently playing: Cthulhu 7th ED (GM) - Amidst the Ancient Trees

#13 tentarephobia

tentarephobia

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:10 PM

I seem to recall Lovecraft mentioning that the name Cthulhu was not so much spoken as whistled - so maybe you're looking for higher-pitched steam-whistle overtones?

There's nothing to say that Cthulhu's voice would even fall into the narrow range of sounds detectable by human hearing - it could be that what we would hear would be mere overtones or undertones of a language that ranged from the sub- to super-sonic.

I'm not sure how you would create this in audio format - perhaps experiment with slowing down the sound of a silent dog whistle until it becomes just audible?

#14 mvincent

mvincent

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:46 PM

I had always thought of Cthulhu as silent (especially after seeing the movie), but re-reading 'The Call of Cthulhu' short story, I now notice the following sounds being mentioned:

"a nasty, slopping sound" when Cthulhu came to the door, then 
"slavered and gibbered" when standing at the waters edge, and
"a bursting as of an exploding bladder" "and a sound that the chronicler would not put on paper" when hit by the ship

As for whistling, I believe that was more something that Azathoth, Elder Things and Shoggoths did (Tekeli'li)

Edited by mvincent, 02 September 2016 - 08:49 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Audio