10 replies to this topic

#1 christian

christian

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

French publisher Sans detour has just published a small magazine that you can donwload from their site. It's in French, and details the new and improved "sapwn of azatoth" for which I've made a short tribute to Keith Herber, and an intriguing new series about the Mythos in diverse time periods. The first 800 is Byzance, an 800... They also say they are going to publish their own "Cthulhu by Gaslight" which will NOT be a translation of the new US version.

http://www.sans-detour.com
christian lehmann

#2 Dalriada

Dalriada

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

Byzantium, Year 800 is now available in French shops.

It's a big book (424 pages), I haven't read it yet because there's a lot to read and it's not the years I'm most familiar with. But it seems most interesting.

There's rules to create a character from the IXth century, some rules to have Faith (not sure exactly how it works, I haven't read it ^^) and a small campain (about 30 pages).

And obviously a big description of Byzantium, the world around, the mythos secret etc.

Sans Detour has also released a free ressource to play Delta Green-style, in a secret organisation called Omega Mystikos
http://sans-detour.c...chargement.html

#3 andreroy

andreroy

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

Sorry for the bit of Necromancy here, however I felt a bit more detail on the setting might help.

I've recently read through and had the opportunity to chat with one of the author about this book and I must admit that if you want something different (and understand French well), that's a good place to look.

It is set around 870 (So between Invictus and Dark Ages) in an Alternate History (so some of the Nations that are present, did not exist yet or no longer existed at that time). obviously the focus if the Byzantium Empire and it's various provinces (Asia Minor,Part of the Middle-East, Greece, Part of the Balkans, Southern Italy, Cartagia, Lybia and part of Egypt) but the also cover some of the neighbour such as the Caroligian/Germanic Empire, the Tulunid and Kemi Egyptians, The Berber nations, The Bulgar, The Armenian, The Persian Sassanid and the Abbasid Caliphate. There also a lot of detail on the Byzantium culture, their faith, their calendar and way of life.

Character creation is pretty standard for 6th Edition with  new era specific professions, various starting culture and new era specific skills. Faith and Conviction is a new mechanic though. Essentially People truly believe that God(s) exist and in the case of Pagan Gods they actually do exist. Faith/Conviction will determine how much you believe in your religion, it will help shield you from or could open you to the Elder Ones, it can help you withstand the Horror seen (instead of Sanity) and it can even allow you to perform Miracles (a subset of spells that are Religion base not Mythos base). Obvilously Sinning and seeing manifestation of the Mythos or miracle performed by other Faith can shaken your Fath. The Collective Faith also Protect and Shield the world from the Machinatino of 2 Elder Ones. They also offer guideline if you do not wish to use those rules.

The rest cover as the Mythos Secret (and the covert War between 2 Elder Gods), The return of the Pagan Gods an a scenario to introduce the setting.

Now the main author has been pretty busy and has published in a couple magazines since:

Cassus Belli #10 Present Venice in the same Era with a small Adventure (It also introduce the Venitian "Culture" pack);

Jeu de Rôle Magazine #33 (tough to get) has 1 scenario for it set in Constantinople.

Di6dent (available as PDF at DrivethruRPG) 11 and 13 has both a scenario. 11 is set in Greece/Bulgaria; 13 on Chyprus.

Chroniques d'Altaride 39, 40, 41 (free online) offer a 3 part adventures set in Northern Africa,

Omega Mystikos has already been mentioned.

There also this blog (not affiliated to the author or Sans-Détour) with interesting ressources: 

Currently the Author is working on a Constantinople supplement,  An Asia Minor supplement and a campaign (described as similar to  "In the Name of the Rose"). He also has about 40 scenarios for it (published or not) and plans for Regional supplements: North of Romania, another one combining Egypt, The Sassanid Empire and the Abbasid Califate; One for the Magreb (Northern Africa) and one covering England, the Caroligian Empire, Al Andalusia, Navarre &  Leon-Asturie.

Personally I'm really looking forward to start my campaign 

#4 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:42 PM

in an Alternate History (so some of the Nations that are present, did not exist yet or no longer existed at that time).

Can you expand on this a bit? 

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#5 andreroy

andreroy

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:35 AM

Can you expand on this a bit? 

Basically History started to deviate a bit at the Battle of Niniveh in 627.  In this universe, both army leader died (In real History only the Sassanid Leader died) due to the intervention of Persian Mages.This diviation over the course of 250 years lead to a few changes in some events as well as in some Nations.

- The Sassanid Empire is still present and well (historically is stopped existing in 651);

- The Abbasid Califate is not ranging as far as it did historically at that point in time. It is limited ot the Arab Peninsula and a small strip of Egypt co-ruled with Byzantium;

- The Armenian Kingdom still exist as a separate entitiy;

- The Tulunids are not ranging as far as they historically did;

- The Kemite Egyptian is a new Kingdom that tries to restore the time of the Pharaoh and the Old Gods;

- Libya, Carthagia and The Northern part of Egypt are still part of the Bysantium Empire (historically lost by now);

- What is Modern Syria and part of Lebanon as well as Albania, Montenegro and Macedonia and the Islands off of Modern Day Croatia are still part of the  Byzantium Empire.

The Abbasid Califate and Byzantium aslo have an alliance to block the Sassanid alliance, which they hisotrically did not have.

On top of my head that's what I can remember.

#6 HJ

HJ

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationMaidenhead, UK

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:41 AM

Seems like an appropriate place to mention Richard Blake's superb "Conspiracies of Rome" series, which take the hero all over the remnants of the Empire. Set earlier but marvellous for colour and politics.

#7 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

Basically History started to deviate a bit at the Battle of Niniveh in 627.  In this universe, both army leader died (In real History only the Sassanid Leader died) due to the intervention of Persian Mages.This diviation over the course of 250 years lead to a few changes in some events as well as in some Nations.

Is there any explanation as to why they made these changes?

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#8 andreroy

andreroy

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:42 AM

Is there any explanation as to why they made these changes?

It was done to make it easier to introduce some of the Mystical and Esoteric elment, in Particular the power of the persian Mages of the Sassanid Empire, The Pagans Gods and the forces that tries to release them of their Prisons (Like the Kemi Empire) as well as the actualmachination of the Elder gods, and some of the Mythos Creature such as the Mi-Go, the Serpentfolk and the Deep Ones.

#9 andreroy

andreroy

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:13 PM

Seems like an appropriate place to mention Richard Blake's superb "Conspiracies of Rome" series, which take the hero all over the remnants of the Empire. Set earlier but marvellous for colour and politics.

Sorry I forgot to reply yesterday.

I haven't had the chance to read them...will have to look into correcting this. However looking at the synopsis, despite being set about 200 years before the setting of Byzance An 800, this serie seems like a good source for flavour and inspiration and could be quite handy to get the right feel.

Thank you for the information

#10 LastChance

LastChance

Master

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

It might be a bit off topic but for the oWoD, White Wolf had a source book set in Constantinople around the 9th/10th centuries.

... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days.

#11 andreroy

andreroy

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:02 AM

It might be a bit off topic but for the oWoD, White Wolf had a source book set in Constantinople around the 9th/10th centuries.

I have it at home. Might be a bit too dark, but defintely worthe looking at for ideas.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Ages